Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm not surprised that Goku is winning. My real vote is for Douglas Adams. All hail the script editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Douglas Adams was a good writer but not a great script editor. The stories during that time were not that great.

The Power of Kroll was a real stinkbomb, but I enjoyed every one of the serials from season 16. :mad:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, okay. I guess most of the post City of Death stuff was a bit forgettable. I should have gone with Son Goku anyway.

I think I've given GBS their fun with the drat whale, it's probably about time for some smug Hartnell. Here are the options I'm considering, I can't make up my mind:

1:
2:
3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One day, the show will come back. Yes, it will come back. Until then, there must be no regrets about lost episodes, no tears over Matt Smith's departure, no anxieties about Moffat's writing. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to Capaldi that he is not mistaken in his.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like Sirens of Time a little more than other people do. Big Finish is definitely still stumbling to its feet and finding its identity, way more than even the second story or any after, but it's not offensively bad, just kind of awkward.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Doctor who: "split season means fans only wait a few weeks for new eps"

Ugh, no thanks, the split seasons are hopefully dead and buried forever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally picked the colour one, because it reminds me the most of Niles.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Action Man posted:

As an American, it took me several Doctor Who Christmas specials to realize that the paper crowns and crackers were a British tradition rather than an alien one.

I'm American and we usually do that at Christmas :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Action Man posted:

I've never encountered it in all my life, but no part of my family is in any way British. Maybe that's it?

We're all Irish descendents, so maybe. Who knows? It could be a regional thing in the U.S.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Discovering cultural differences can be fun (the idea that so many Americans have no idea what paper crowns and crackers are is just bewildering to me) and also deeply depressing (the idea of universal healthcare being despised, discovering how many Americans don't get paid annual leave as a matter of course etc). It is always a good reminder that what we consider as "normal" is based entirely on our own upbringing, environment and culture.

You guys just form these opinions on us based on Martin Chuzzlewit! Which granted, is the truth, because nothing has changed here since then.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Really, what we need is for the Sixth Doctor to come around and make that disgusted face he makes and give America a good ranting at. "What do you MEAN, no paper crowns? I suppose at least I won't have to worry about getting a paper cut and not being able to afford curing the subsequent infection from your foul air!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I realize I'm probably late to the party on this, but holy crap the Blu-Ray of Spearhead from Space is beautiful. The Autons look maybe a little silly, but everything being in beautiful hi-def more than makes up for it. It makes it hard, really, to go back to the rest of the series knowing how great everything is supposed to look.

:aaa: That looks amazing!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Without having seen the whole show, the thirty second clip that introduced the concept seemed like a funny throwaway, but boy have they been stretching it!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jng2058 posted:

If it makes them happy, what's the harm? Besides, with luck a few of them will use that as a gateway drug into the real stuff and we'll pick up a few new voices around here.

Can't see how it hurts anyone.

I mean, it doesn't, it's just a bit strange to carry a one-note joke far beyond the parameters one would expect for it to last.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anthony Stuart Head as every villain in the Doctor Who Universe in audio, cartoon and televised format.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm on my watch of the first doctors run, (i'm going to go through every surviving episode in order) and i'm on "The edge of destruction" episode 1. Its certainly an odd episode.

I noticed some music that reminded me of mystery science theater 3000, i want to say "The screaming skull" episode. Did 1960s shows and movies only have a small selection of incidental music they had to share?

It's stock music, yeah. They start doing a little less of that later and you will yearn for the stock music.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or you could just write it so neither of those things are a problem? It makes you be more creative, but creativity is what's good about things like Doctor Who.

To be fair, unless I'm forgetting, they used it a bit heavily in the beginning of the RTD years and since then, they've mostly used it for jokes likes the "Responsible adult!" one (and the bus tap, which I know people hate, but I've never thought of as anything but a visual gag). Or the occasional "Nice try, we can see right past that!"

I didn't quite care for the idea of it being a Get Out of Jail Free Card, but I'd almost be okay with them using it more often if it's a broken Get Out of Jail Free card that results in a grinning Doctor flashing it at someone and a cut to him and his companions behind bars.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I just finished ...ish, which was interesting in a Snow Crash sort of way. I started going through The Rapture, which is fairly dreadful so far. It's kind of a shame how much of the Seven and Ace stuff is written as though it's still the New Adventures years (or so it feels to a person who knows of them mostly through Astroman's summaries). I really like Ace, but the teenage, rebel-against-daddy bildungsroman hijinx are just a bit overblown in some of the audios.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Heh, post 50th and the Doctor's travelling with a pair of teachers from Coal Hill. Cute, Moffat, cute.

It goes well with the whole "Going home the long way round" thing. Like everything, it definitely depends on its execution, but it looks like an interesting idea.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Nope, it turns out Coal Hill is now dedicated to churning out companions in potentia for the Doctor.

"Why would this fellow named Chesterton be so interested in training students to travel with me? I wonder if Chatterfield put him up to this."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The only acceptable decades-spanning plot is the one in which the Doctor returns to Earth in the distant future just before it is about to explode for whatever reason it's exploding this time and says "Hey, Suse, remember when I said I would be back? Well, here I am! How's tricks with the boyfriend?" and then the shot zooms out and he's talking to a skeleton.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

For once, I agree with a lot of what he says.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The second is to simply be boring. Red Dawn and The Sandman fall here. Nothing really happens that engages the listener and keeps them riveted beyond “let’s just get through this story.”

These are the ones that get to me the most, I think. I think Minuet in Hell is absolutely grating on the ears, but you can tell they were earnestly trying something different. It can at least be funny (the Brig narrating into his computer slowly as he types for wayyyy too long got me laughing in a "what were they even thinking?" kind of way). Red Dawn feels like they weren't even trying.

I guess the only thing worse is to be insulting to the listener's intelligence, which The Rapture certainly is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Another reason Minuet in Hell is so hated is due to them wasting the Brig.

Oh, but he does some quality typing and narrating that typing out loud for the benefit of the audience.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't mind the Time Lords coming back. I hope they're used sparingly and inspire the same sense of unease they did before Four found them and they were all blithering moron bureaucrats.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

But... they are blithering moron bureaucrats. :confused:

But that's not as interesting as the well-meaning, very powerful but detached intellectuals they're show as during War Games (and, to a lesser extent, the early Pertwee era).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Well, you better quit watching, then. Seriously. That article asks "Why does this man still have a job?" The answer is that he gets results. The show, and Sherlock as well, are popular and get large audiences on not too large a budget. If you really want the Moff gone and yet still watch the show, you're part of the problem. Posts on SA mean nothing. Voting with your TV attention, presuming you can find enough other people to likewise not watch the show, is what counts.

Therefore if you mean what you say, you should put your eyes where your mouth is and stop watching until he's replaced.

Or, you know, keep griping on forum where no one with the slightest bit of influence will ever read or care what you think. Maybe that'll work. :shrug:

Awhile back, but this is truly a lovely opinion and borders on the "If you care so much, why are you talking about it on the internet instead of doing something?" fallacy. Not watching the show has absolutely no more effect than griping about it in whatever your social sphere is. There is no such thing as "voting with your TV" unless you're a damned Nielson family. Abstaining from your favorite shows does not remove the misogynist rear end in a top hat who's got his hands on the reins from power. As others have said, Moffat's writing isn't nearly as bad (in a nuts and bolts way) as some people make it out to be. It has some fanwank issues but he is frequently good at crafting a story. People can be good at their art and also really lovely human beings. It does become harder to take any sexism in the show with a grain of salt when the man in charge of it can't stop word vomiting his cave troll opinions about gender, but that doesn't mean you suddenly stop liking the television show, especially if you've committed yourself to watching about 700 episodes of it.

It is possible (and frankly, necessary) to enjoy a piece of media and still be critical of its more pernicious aspects.

Jerusalem posted:

Did people not like The Spectre of Lanyon Moor :smith:? The "monster" has a rubbish voice but otherwise it is a really enjoyable story with a great old-school feel, and the Brigadier is absolutely in top form.

I liked it :shobon: The monster voice was definitely silly and cartoony, but that's a problem with a lot of the early Big Finish stories, and it's easy enough (for me at least) to get past.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if I missed an episode of current Who and would just backfill at some point by binge-watching a few seasons, but I enjoy discussing it both in this thread and with the co-workers and friends I know who watch it, so I try to stay current. I definitely will want to see Capaldi's first episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Her name is Romanadvoratrelundar.

I think she goes by Fred

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jng2058 posted:

But Umbra Dubium wasn't criticizing the media, per say, he was criticizing the showrunner. like so:

So, if that's where he (I presume) stands, where is there to go? If Moffat is so terrible, how can UD support his work?

Because there are an infinite number of ways to watch the work without supporting Moffat, even while watching legally and in some miniscule fashion up-ticking a number in a giant spreadsheet for whichever body happens to be tracking the information. Sans engaging in some kind of untenable mass boycott, catching the damned Netflix re-runs or TiVo data is not making functional differences.

There are enough terrible people involved in television, video games and almost every medium that you'd almost have to engage in some sort of media blackout not to consume their work. It can be helpful to note when their disgusting personality is seeping into the work itself and when the material is actually quite good, even to the point of being at odds with the creator's expressed beliefs.

Archyduke posted:

Do people not like "...Ish?" I think it's a lot of fun. I think it was the first Colin Baker audio I listened to, and since I attend a lot of academic conferences the whole milieu got a bunch of laughs from me.

I enjoyed it!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Timby posted:

It's not a reboot. The show simply picked up the story with a gap in-between, and that gap has been slowly filled in over the years. :)

Edit: On another note, the one issue that's been stopping me from the audios is that I really have a hard time with background stuff. I'm sure there are a bunch of great podcasts, but I can only listen to them when I'm in bed, because I can actually listen to and focus on them. With an audio story, I don't think I could run it in the background while I'm working. Same reason I can't do audiobooks. If I'm listening to something, it needs to be my sole focus.

Are the audios just a lost cause for me?

You might need to hear them in bed, I guess. I can listen to them in the background (I'm listening to one as I post). Every now and then I get distracted, but it's easy to backtrack and/or use the Doctor Who reference guide to catch up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

I'm a bit sad though, because I've been listening to a few ongoing plot threads in order over the years and I'm starting to come to the end of them. I think I've gone through all the 6/Evelyn episodes and am about to finish 6/Jamie and 6/Charley. Erinem just left 5 and Peri and I don't think there's too many 5/Peri's after that. The only 8's I have left are the Lucie ones and Dark Eyes 2, after which I will be in the distressing position of having to wait a year for whatever few new audios McGann does to get my 8 fix. :(

On the bright side, 7/Ace/Hex still seem to be pumping out new stories, and now I can start getting into the 5/Tegan/Nyssa episodes. And I'll probably start to crack into the 4th Doctor ones, which I know will be a treat as TBakes is doubtless a master of audio work. I also want to do the Thomas Brewster and Klein stories in order.

Yeah, that's one of the great things about Big Finish, is that because there are multiple ongoing plots for each Doctor, the continuing story is spread out so much that it feels like there's always going to be more. I'm looking forward to getting back to Eight and Charlie, but also looking forward to getting back to Six and Evelyn or Six and Peri or even Six and Mel, to say nothing of Seven and Ace, Five and Peri with Erinem, etc. Even binge-listening to Big Finish (which I'm not doing) still sort of gives you the serialized, waiting experience if you listen to them in order. I imagine it's probably sad to get to the end of some plotlines, but there's always more Doctor Who! Even if you finish the Baker stories, there are more on the way!

Speaking of which, I'm currently on Real Time and just went for the animated version I could find on Youtube (I couldn't get it to work on the BBC site). I understand the animated version doesn't really conclude - does the CD version add a conclusion or does it just do some cleanup?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Peter. :3:

Peter Capaldi talks to a girl with autism during filming.

Apparently the girl saw Matt Smith as her imaginary friend and was really heartbroken over him leaving, and she asked Peter about it during some filming in Cardiff.

:allears: He has really gone out of his way to accommodate fans already, making sure to pause in between takes for photographs and the like. I really really hope that he gets some good writing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I couldn't get into The Maltese Penguin, mostly just because it very obviously had only a cursory knowledge of the source material and relied too heavily on parody-by-telephone. It was fun, it just didn't reach like I wanted it to.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

People are going to pile on the social justice criticisms of Moffat purely because he makes it really, really easy by saying idiotic things every time he's in an interview. When you don't trust a writer's intentions at all, suddenly everything they do appears to be an intentional attempt to mean bully stomp upon the oppressed with their enormous privilege boot, it's like some kind of weird Magic Eye thing. It also means he'll be the dogpile target for every self-aggrandizing blogger on earth, but they are fortunately easy to ignore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, this would sort of be like claiming that Niles Crane is making fun of OCD in an oppressive manner in the number of levels in which the claim is ludicrous, which are probably too many to list. Expect about 200 of them for every Moffat-penned episode going forward instead of the usual 20, because he painted a big "I'm a sexist shithead" target on his forehead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish has tried to get a Star Trek license in the past, the idea being it would be a wholly original ship with a original crew, but Paramount wasn't interested. They also tried to get the license for James Bond as well, but nothing came of that either.

This survey might be an attempt to get numbers to use in their negotiations ("Look how many people would buy our Star Trek stories!"), which is a bit sad, because I think the people who handle Star Trek and Bond probably be unimpressed even at the number of people who took the survey.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

vegetables posted:

I should have clarified this. What I dislike about that post so much is that it uses this argument as an excuse to be extremely condescending:

And, well, it's a really rubbish argument that appears to suggest a neuroatypical Doctor is an impossibility for, well, reasons. It's not anywhere near a strong enough point to say all the stuff he says afterwards, I don't think.

The criticism is nonsense, the criticism of the criticism is condescending, wordy nonsense. It's like a little microcosm of the black hole of blogger in-fighting, complete with the phrase "awesome on toast" in the middle of a bunch of forced erudite phrasing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Colin Baker can spin gold from poo poo, y'all.

Not the Twin Dilemma though, I mean, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

armoredgorilla posted:

I've been on Big Finish's site before for 8th Doctor stuff, but I swear this new site is unnavigable. I can't find anything for the 6th. Last time I was on it, perfectly fine. This time around, loving terrible.

Edit: I have to use Google to find the 6th Doctor on their own site. If you search for 6th Doctor adventures in the Main Range, it doesn't find any results. Jeezy peezy.

Edit 2: Figured it out, they have TWO entries for 6th Doctor on the search bar:

6 - Sixth
6- Sixth

That space is all the difference.

Yeah, Five Six and Seven are just part of the Main Range, so you basically have to go to the Wikipedia list page and sort for Six if you want to find those.

Once you search for ranges, though, enjoy the fact that they sort randomly whenever you view the page and all have similar looking icons! :haw:

I really like Big Finish but the site design is pretty horrible. Trying to figure out what you're paying and what you receive for payment under a subscription would short out K-9's circuits.

• Locked thread