Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Do people not like "...Ish?" I think it's a lot of fun. I think it was the first Colin Baker audio I listened to, and since I attend a lot of academic conferences the whole milieu got a bunch of laughs from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

CobiWann posted:

My fiancée is an English teacher heavily into Shakespeare and poetry, so I got a lot more out of it than I expected!

Is it a perfect story? No, mainly because it’s one of those stories that thinks it’s clever and spends a lot of time trying to convince the reader of how clever it is, in a “wink wink nudge nudge” kind of way. And I didn’t get the sense of urgency that a complete galactic linguistic collapse should have caused.

On the other hand, it was nice to see Peri act like a college student, and her “I need a freaking drink” moment where she wanders away from the Doctor in mid-monologue was worth a nice chuckle. Plus, it’s old Sixie at a LANGUAGE convention. Colin Baker must have had the time of life recording this one because he takes the Doctor’s long-windedness and turns it up to 11 in such a perfect way. It’s definitely worth a listen or a re-listen. I got more out of it the second go-round once I had some idea what the hell was going on!

That's actually a lot of what I like about it, too, come to think of it. A lot of the audios, even a lot of the good ones, feel like they could be done with any doctor and any companion, but "...Ish" is very specifically geared towards C. Baker and Peri. With Baker this isn't that hard to do-- he's wordy, he's kind of a wind-bag, but those are flexible traits that serve him just as well here as they do in, like, "The One Doctor" or even something like "The Marian Conspiracy." But it's nice to be reminded that Peri is a college student, and that you can throw her into stories about academia in a way that wouldn't work so well with Mel (it would be cool to see Evelyn in a similar milieu, but she wouldn't have the same undergraduate exasperation with the whole scenario).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I like The Holy Terror but between the child's voice and Frobisher's, it took me half a dozen tries to actually sit through the whole thing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

It's poo poo and everyone on the commentary agrees.

It's kind of cool. Everybody has fun dancing around and Adric eats chicken wings for the entire duration. If I had to rewatch any Davison story I would rewatch that one.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

After The War posted:

Romana II was also written as having the know-how of the Doctor, but not the life experience. Several stories (City of Death and Horns of Nimon) have her being tricked into building what the bad guys want by... them just asking her nicely.

Which the Doctor never falls for. Never. Hardly ever.

Eldrad must live.

You know, it's funny, Adric kind of falls into that same trap in several serials as well, just with less conviction on the part of the writers. In State of Decay you have him going along with the villains for... whatever reason, and then in Castrovalva his otherwise unutilized math-badge-certified genius is turned into the macguffin.

I guess the show doesn't have a terrific track record for making the most out of characters introduced as operating on, in any way, the same intellectual level as the Doctor. I think Romana II and Zoe best negotiate that territory without either veering into being a narrative whipping boy (Adric, every once in a while Romana I) or upstaging the Doctor in an unsatisfying way (sometimes River Song, sometimes Benny).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Zoe, of course, also gets Jamie and the Troughton Doctor to play off of-- one of the all-time best dynamics the show has come up with. The Hermione comparison is apt, I think-- her "head of the class" thing was balanced out by her being, often, the voice of reason out of the three as well. And, you know, between Hines, Troughton, and Padbury there also just a lot of charm on set in any given scene.

I've written about it before I think, but Adric's characterization really took a hit when Tom Baker left the series. As much as the chemistry between Baker and Ward was a little less bubbly and fun when JNT took over, there was still a nice, warm, pleasantly unpredictable dynamic between Baker's Doctor, Romana II, and Adric-- all of them written as "super genius" type characters, but in very different ways, with a gentle sort of squabbling banter between them that offset the relative grimness of those late-Baker era serials. There's a lot less for Waterhouse to play off of with Davison's Doctor and Tegan, and although his scenes with Sarah Sutton are kind of sweet, neither of them are given a lot to work with, and neither have precisely the right kind of brashness that plays off of Davison in the way that Tegan and Turlough do.

(I think it's telling that I didn't even remember Nyssa when I was thinking of "super smart" companions earlier. She's kind of appallingly underwritten, to the extent that the show never acknowledges, in their subsequent scenes together, that the Master has blown up her planet and begun walking around wearing her father's corpse as a suit. Much like Adric, there are glimmers of potential that suggest that she would have worked a lot better as a Baker companion. If Adric's brattiness lets Baker play the stern-dad role, Nyssa would have given him the opportunity to both play up the wild-card thing he perfected as a foil to Mary Tamm, and allowed him to kind of poke into an occasionally more nurturing avuncular role-- a mode which would have tempered Baker's more outsized performance and which, I guess, was Davison's default).

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 7, 2014

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, having Troughton as the lead definitely can't hurt a companion's dynamic.

And yes, once they bring Davison in as "young and charming but also a weary dad," Adric immediately becomes tiresome, whereas his alien superiority that just needed to be tamed worked with Four and Romana, both of whom had similar qualities in a more mature stage.

Listening to the audios has only made it more obvious to me that Nyssa was underused and that Five's TARDIS was a little crowded. This is an unpopular opinion, but I really think that some of Tegan's best characteristics were as a sounding board for Nyssa's frustrations and that she was otherwise a mistake. She literally doesn't want to be part of the crew's adventures and she has so little patience with Adric that she actually highlights his flaws more.

Do you think she works better in Season 21 and the back-half of 20? I suppose that from a certain angle you could argue that, for the three-odd year stretch from Enlightenment to Terror of the Vervoids, the TARDIS is entirely crewed by people who evince no visible pleasure in being there, which gets a little rough at times. That being said, I think the Doctor/Tegan/Turlough set-up works a lot better than any other stretch of the Davison era*. With each other to play off of, neither seems as bullying or abrasive as they did at first, and Davison gets to play his Doctor as aloof rather than just extremely weary.

*well, there's Davison/Bryant, which works very well in Androzani but sets an exhausting precedent for Peri-as-constantly-traumatized throughout the first C. Baker season. They're great together in the audios though, of course.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skepticism is fine, but what bugs me about the other thread is that the scripts are right there for anyone reading to click on and yet people are still taking as gospel really warped summaries by people who haven't been happy with the series since, like, 2008. Like, of course, any plot point or little character beat will sound stupid if you go out of your way to make it sound stupid. You could ruin literally any episode of the series that way.

"Great, so he winds up... in the nazi version of the same-old boring UNIT. Yes, that's right. UNIT's back. Hurray. More loving Yates."

"Again, a potentially tense and interesting scene is nipped in the bud with a dumb gag about jelly babies. Who is this show even for? And Romana continues to be an obvious Douglas Adams self-insert. This season is like reading Dirk Gently fan fiction."

"Ugh, so all of a sudden the loving celery turns purple and sucks up poison. What can't the loving celery do."

"Yeah, so they go all through all this bullshit about preventing the daleks from coming into existence, and then for some reason, Baker just... doesn't do it? Typical Hinchcliffe, throwing plot logic out the window for a downer ending."

"lol, so Mary Susan is... telepathic now? And of course these sensorite people are just falling all over her."

Anything can sound atrocious when you sit down and front of it with the attitude of "right, let's figure out what's atrocious here," especially when you're willing to grossly distort context and tone. People in the other thread are interpreting throwaway gag lines as profoundly troubling revelations, and flattening fairly sweet, subdued sounding character development into tossed off sex jokes. It's baffling to me, especially considering that, like I said, anyone interested could just go back ONE page, download the scripts themselves and see how odd these readings are. Instead there seems to be a sort of race to see who can work up the most indignation about the new season the most before the premier.

I mean I don't really get it. If I disliked something that much, I certainly wouldn't read 500 pages of it, and I definitely wouldn't make it my weird mission to get other people to dislike it too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Potsticker posted:

What about all those places he got photographed before Rose came with him?

While Rose and Jack went off to eat lunch with Gertrude Stein one day, he stayed in the Tardis and taught himself photoshop.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I've been avoiding lesson planning this summer by reading a bunch of ancillary Marvel comics I never happened to pick up as a kid. One of those is Excalibur, a British-centric X-Men spin-off helmed by Chris Claremont and Alan Davis in 1988. As dorks of their time, they toss in a few gratuitous nods to Doctor Who. From issue #6, a quasi-familiar leader of a quasi-familiar taskforce:

What's kind of odd, though, is that the Brig's twin brother bears an uncanny anachronistic resemblance to a certain much later Doctor, right down to the trainers and silly French catch-phrase:

After a couple of issues of very late-80s Claremont adventures, the whole team winds up skipping around parallel dimensions in a high-jacked train. Ironically, this is where the coy Doctor Who references sort of drop off. At least, until in issue #14 (November, 1989) our faux-Tennant winds up in a line with a bunch of miscellaneous bad guys:

Incidentally, a few of the series' minor supporting characters made their first appearances in Alan Moore's handful of comics in Marvel UK's Doctor Who Weekly in 1979 (where, apparently, the concept of a catastrophic Time War was first introduced). They were also used in Moore's run on Captain Britain, which Alan Davis also illustrated. Here are the Special Executives talking about Sontarans:

And here they are 13 years later, in Excalibur #47, bothering mutants:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Some people have pointed out that talking about "Vote Saxon" doesn't make sense for the UK because you don't directly vote for the PM, but it makes sense given how personality cults have become a part of politics there- people didn't vote FOR Tony Blair but they knew that he would be Prime Minister if Labour won a majority, hence he was a factor in their success, etc.

In the Doctor Who universe, the UK changed its electoral system out of admiration for US President Benjamin Franklin.

• Locked thread