Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright so my friend got some Hackmaster 5e PDFs and told me he wants me to run it. I've decided we should all learn how to make characters first! On that note if you ever get a chance to 'find' or get the Hacklopedia of Beasts, it is a sexy as poo poo.

Well cracking open the PHB First we get a list of what makes Hackmaster different:
- No waiting for turns, everything is done in 'seconds'
- Armour reduces chance to dodge but gives DR
- Active defense is possible
- No longer Init battles.
- More tactical, e.g. being surrounded sucks
- Ranged weapons are more realistic (less damage then melee)
- Emphasis on team building
- Party Roles
- Rolls 3d6, but does NOT mean you get an unplayable character - 'HackMaster drags the average 3d6 character ability back to 10-11 from 15-16'
- Int gives melee bonuses (e.g. Smarter warrior is able to fight better)
- Combat should always be a gamble (sounds AD&D like)
- Retreat is viable option.
- Die penetration. Notated as dXp. This simply means roll an additonal dYp - 1 on a maximum roll. The -1 is not cumulative for each additional roll and there is no stopping point, simply stops when you stop rolling maximum. (At worst this adds no extra damage)

Alright with some rudimentary knowledge of this system's highlights let's get down to business.

They included a handy flowchart for CharGen!

Step 1: Receive Building Points
Everyone gets 40 BPs, this may be modified based on Int/Cha/Wis scores.
You also gain new BPs from leveling.
BPs are used to buy skills/talents or modify ability scores. You can also use them to re-roll quirks and flaws.
Certain effects may affect the cost in BPs in which case their is a clear order of operations
First Static/Set effects e.g. "Costs only X BP", then Multiplied or Divided, finally additive or subtractive.

Step 2: Roll Ability Scores
Standard 6 abilities plus the addition of one called "Looks".
Each has a very AD&D style chart which tells you what it does.
Roll 3d6 + d% in each stat.

Strength: 10/27
Str determines Damage Mod, Str Checks, Lift/Carry weights.
Interesting to note is +2DR when heavily encumbered. while penalities for Def/Init/Speed/Fatigue.

Intelligence: 7/2
Int + Dex = Base Attack bonus. As well as a BP bonus. These BPs can only be used on skills that Int governs.

Wisdom: 11/41
Wisdom combines with Dex to govern both Init and Def mods. Also gives bonus BP which can only be used on Wisdom skills.
Lastly wisdom governs your Mental saving throw.

Dexterity: 13/4
Dexterity seems really important due to the fact that it governs Attack mod with Int. Def, Init with Wisdom and Dodge saving throw.
Also used for Feats of Agility (dex checks)
It is also worth noting that after this roll I no longer qualify for their reroll rule (1 stat >= 13 || 2 stats <= 5)

Constituion: 3/82
Constituion significantly impacts HP. HP is Con score + Size Bonus + class die.
Con also governs Physical saving throws.
Con is retroactive in case you gain Con at some point

Looks: 12/28
Looks is the separating of physical beauty from charisma. As such it has a charisma mod
and affects your Honour and Fame starting totals.

Charisma: 18/33
Charisma is defined as "Personal Magnetism". It's got a BP bonus once again tied to Cha skills
It also governs Starting Honour, Turning Mod (as in Turn Undead), Morale mod and Maximum proteges.

Step 3: Arrange Ability Scores
With rolls now noted you have options.
A) Stick with what you rolled; +50 BP
B) Swap 2; +25 BP
C) Swap more than 2; +0 BP

I decided to switch my Int and Wisdom as Wisdom seems less important for a charismatic man.
STR: 10/27
INT: 11/41
WIS: 7/2
DEX: 13/4
CON: 3/82
LKS: 12/28
CHA: 18/33

Step 4: Choose Race
There are 11 different races in HackMaster;
Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Gnome Titan, Grel, Half-Elf (Elf raised), Half-Elf (Human raised), Half-Hobgoblin, Half-orc, Halfling
There is another option that starts off out of bounds, that being a Pixie-Fairie.
Kinda cheating there with the half-elf being 2 but whatever.
The mechanical difference there is different predispositions to classes (more on that in Step 5)

Gnome Titans are apparently the Spartans of Gnomes, Bred for war.

Grel, or Sarlangans are basically Grunge Elves. Pure Anarchists

Each race affects abilities scores differently. Humans of course are the baseline with Half-Orcs affecting 6 of the 7 scores.

HackMasters Racial Score chart

Well I kinda want to double down on my Charismatic nature, however Elf is out due to my abysmal Con Score. Halfing seems like a fun choice as well as Half-Elf.
I decided for a Half-Elf (Elven Reared) which gives me several bonuses
Ability Scores: -1 STR, +1 DEX, -2 CON, +1 LKS, +1 CHA
Skill Bonuses:
d4p bonus Arcane Lore skill
d8p bonus Listening skill
d4p bonus Observation skill
d4p bonus Sneaking skill
+1 mastery die bonus in artistic skills
Bilingual Prof (High Elven and Low Elven)
Bonus hiding in natural surroundings
Cons:
Lower Starting HP: 7 + CON + Class
Only know Elven (must purchase others)

So now my stats are:
STR: 9/27
INT: 11/41
WIS: 7/2
DEX: 14/4
CON: 1/82
LKS: 13/28
CHA: 19/33

Step 5: Choosing a Character Class
Classes are: Fighter, Knight, Paladin, Ranger, Barbarian, Thief, Rogue, Assassin, Mage, Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Thief, Mage/Thief, Cleric.
Alright so how this works is each Race has a buy in cost to achieve a certain class. Human is baseline at 20 BP for each class
It can also go as high as 75(!) BP for certain combos like Dwarven Ranger, Dwarven Mage, Gnome Titan Mage, Half-Orc Rogue.
I was going to say every race has a specific race disposition but Gnomes and Half-Elfs (Elven) require 25 BP, and Hlf-Elfs(Human) require 30.

Also Knight/Paladin which are evolutions paths of Fighters (6th Level for Knight, 11th for Paladin) cannot be anything other than Human.
They also have high stat requirements Knight is 13 STR, 11/51 DEX, 12 CON, 11/76 CHA, and 8/51 WIS) Paladins require those as well as (17/01 CHA, 13/01 WIS)
Half-Orcs apparently suck at Rogues but accel at Assassins, having a 25 BP buy-in.

I decided on Rogues because I've already decided combat is not my forte so I might as well be the pretty face of the group. It will cost me 30 of my 65 BP.

Class Features:
Basics & Proficiency:
Hit Dice: d6
As a rogue I gain an improved Init die. I can backstab and strike fleeing opponents as if I were backstabbing them
I pay 8 BP for my initial Att/Spd/Def/Dam ticks and then it goes 2x,3x,4x costs.

Combat Profile example, one exists like this for Melee as well.
I must purchase any Weapon Prof I want, but I do have Light armour prof for free, not medium/heavy armour nor shield use unless I buy them.

Luck Points:
I have 24 + 1/lvl luck points. I can expend luck points to change rolls in my favour. 1:1 ratio for Saving Throws, 1:5 for Skills, 1:1 for lowering Opponent's Att/Dam rolls. I can't interrupt penetrating die with luck. I only regain luck when I level up. Also usage of luck requires a RP'd situation otherwise you can't do it.

Skills:

Rogues work differently with skills than other classes. You get 1 free rank in Acting, Appraisal(once in each subcategory), Diplomacy, Disguise, Fast Talking, Forgery, Glen Informtion, Language, Listening, Literacy, Salesmanship, Seduction (Art of).
Each level I receive one roll of the mastery die in 5 core rogue skills plus Appraisal(one subcategory).

Rogues also have noncore skills: Climbing/Rappelling, Current Affairs, Gambling, Hiding, History (ancient), Lock Picking, Musician, Observation, Oration, Persuasion, Pick Pocket, Reading Lips, Recruiting, Riddling, Scrutiny, Skilled Liar, Sneaking and Survival (urban). For all the above skills rogues roll mastery + 3 or relevant ability score, whichever is higher.

Rogues also receive the No Accent talent for free.

Spells:
At 3rd Level Rogues pick up arcane spells. To do so you need to purchase Arcane Lore skills (1 discount at 3rd level). Also requires Int of 13. Rogues can only learn 1 spell of each level, but doesn't require a spellbook.

Influence:
The rogue is able to make use of several tricks to influence the rooms attitude towards making their either hostile or friendlier.

Trivial Knowledge:
Rogues get a 3/level% chance to know random facts.

Step 6: Alignment, Honour and Fame
Alignment is standard 3x3 Chart. Restrictions being tied to Class. Rogues must be neutral in some regard so I decided to be Neutral Good.

Honour is the count of how people see you in the world. It will rise and fall based on your actions, with particularly high honour garnering you some mechanical bonuses. (+1 bonus to one die/session, 1 mulligan etc.). If one's honour becomes 0 or less, you immediately change alignment to however you've been acting as well as lose all EXP for this level and take a 20% EXP penalty until you reach low honour again.
Honour can also be used as a resource for rerolling, increasing or decreasing rolls. Only rerolls (with increased costs) can be used on critical fumbles, hits or perfect defenses.
Honour is also... Here I'll let the book speak for itself.

Oaths are promises based on Honour and when broken the player loses a percentage of their Honour. Making/Keeping Oaths provides little benefit only 1 Honour, a person is expected to keep their Oaths.

Fame is merely how well known you are and is a mechanical number with roleplaying benefits/detriments. It also has a few mechanical benefits in that in fighting your fame preceeds you. Attacks get -1 att and +1 second penalty to Initative for every rank of fame above them you are.

I start with + 7 Honour and +1 Fame

Step 7: Priors and Particulars

Age: There is a chart for each race/class combo concerning age rolls. Half-Elf Rogues roll 33+d10p. I rolled 10+10+1 Which equates to +20 Age. I am therefore 53 years old.

Height: Roll a d% and check a chart for your Race + Sex. Half-Elf males are between 63 and 73 unless super lucky in which case you can go as low as 59 or as high as 76. (all in inches). I rolled a 50 so I am 68 inches tall. I seem to recall this weird as measurement as being 12 inches to one foot. So I'm 5'8".

Weight: Weight is based on rolling a BMI then finding it out based on that. I rolled a 2 giving me a BMI of 17. This gives me a weight of 112lbs. drat I am a stick. Also Elves, Gnome Titans, Grels can't be fat, Dwarves are 25% likely to be fat, Gnomes have a 5% chance, Humans around 20% Halfhobgobs 10%, HalfOrcs 30%.

Handedness: 9% chance of being LeftHanded, 1% chance of being Ambidextrous. I say gently caress the police I'm going to be LeftHanded!

Heritage:

Birth Circumstances: Roll based on Race to determine if you are illegitimate. I rolled well enough to not be illegitimate. If I was I roll on a separate table to determine how. Was I a rape child? or only a child from an affair. Maybe mother turned tricks to make a living! I could also have been abandoned.

Parental Status: roll d% for each parent. Roll <= 10, You're an orphan!, 91+ indicates that parent is dead. If both are dead you're an orphan. If only one parent is dead roll another d% to see if you have a stepparent (50% chance). My first roll is 70% so my Elven mom is alive. Surprisingly my Human father is also alive.

Quality of Upbringing: Were my parents good or bad? Roll d% to find out. My mother was loving (+2 BP), my father was abusive. The abusiveness means I get to roll an additional Quirk or Flaw with no BP bonus.

Siblings: Roll a d20 to determine sibling status. I rolled a 5 and have 2 siblings! Now I need to determine what gender my siblings are by rolling a d6. I have determined I have a brother (2) and a Sister (4). Now let's see if they are still alive by rolling an additonal d6 (33% chance of dead). Apparently both my siblings are already dead, sorry Mom, I blame our abusive Dad. If they were still alive I would next roll a d% to determine if either is a twin (2%), and then a d8 if we are twins to see if we are identical (12.5%). Next roll order of birth by rolling d(number of siblings + you). Firstborn male gets father's estate/possessions. Finally determine your relationship with those siblings. Do this by rolling 2d12, results being Bitter Enemy, Argumentative, Natural, Very Close, Devoted. This roll is modified by your Morale value determined by Charisma. If my siblings has survived it was likelier they would love me.

Everything Else: Up to you! (Includes colour of Hair, eyes, voice type extended family etc.)

Step 8: Quirks and Flaws

There are two ways to pick Q&Fs, 1. Roll, 2. Choose. Like most things in this game choosing carries a penalty (or in this case less of a benefit). Quirks are the mental things, while Flaws are the physical. Also in order to gain the BPs you must create backstory to back up your Q or F.

Going with the flow I decide to roll. For this you roll a d1000. My first roll is 205 making me a Coward. Basically with this quirk I may run away regardless of what I want based on morale checks. I need to roll a d12 to determine how cowardly I am. With a result of 5 I am fearful, meaning my Moral is only Brave. I also loss Honour quicker and gain it slower. But I gain an additonal 25 BP. I figure I'll roll once more before rolling one last time for Father issues. I rerolled twice because Messy sucks and I got it twice in a row (this costs me 2 bp). This time I get Fanatic. I support d3-1 causes and everytime I learn of a new cause that doesn't oppose my previous ones I add them to my list if I fail a Wis check. If it's related I roll half wis check. However I get 33 BP from it (40 - 5 penalty for second flaw and 2 for rerolling). Lastly it's Daddy issues time. Apparently with one of his beatings he cause me to have a permanent limp, slight. People get +15 to Observation checks against me but I can make it look attractive gained 0/10 Charisma.

+58 BP out of my Quirks and Flaws.

Step 9: Spending BP
Alright so with my pool of 35 + 58 BP I can buy many things, this is not including the BP I have for specialized skills. First I'll tally all that up.

ALL BP: 93 (35 of this can be spend on Stats, as those must be 'finalized' before Q&Fs)
Int BP: 1
Wis BP: 0
Cha BP: 45 (with my increased Cha from Looks)

I can use these to buy Talents, Skills, Proficiencies as well as Stats.
Talents are basically feats which cost usually a non-insignificant amount of stats. Some include Blind-Fight (30bp), or small mechanical bonuses like +1 to Attack with specified weapon (10bp). Or otherwise roleplaying ones like Graceful Aging.

Skills range from Speaking a Language, Reading a Language, to Law and The Art of Seduction or Torture. It uses a much nicer system of roll under a % which is nice. You train skills in by buying a point in it. The first point adds your ability modifier plus the mastery die, and each subsequent purchase is only the mastery die. The mastery die starts out as a d12 then slowly lowers as you get better to a d4 between skill of 88+.

Well now that I know Int is somewhat important and BP isn't as limited as I though I want to bump my Int a bit as well as my Con.
Since Con is less than 9/00 it only costs 1:10 BP:Stat, while Int is going to cost 1:5. So 2 points to Con to bump that up to 2. I need 161 stat points to raise Int to 13. I do gain some stats upon leveling (assign d20p, d12p, d10p, d8p, d6p, d4p to stats, Not Looks) and assuming I roll decently for me to have 13 Int by 3rd level I need to get it to 12/80 or so. That requires 28 of my stat points. It also increased my Int BP to 2.

ALL BP: 62
Int BP: 2
Cha BP: 45
I'm going to use that 2 Int BP to learn a 3rd language (my first two being High and Low Elven). My first purchase of the skill gets me the relevant Ability + the mastery die (which lowers as you get more proficient). So I get 12 + d12p. I got a 24 for the first purchase and the second I rolled an additional 10 getting me as Average in one of the Human languages.

I've also decided to pick up the Long Bow. This requires 6 BP as it is a High Skill weapon. I'll then train it a bit which requires 8x3 to max out the 1st level proficiencies.

General BP: 32
Cha BP: 45

I'm going to skip over the rest of this part and take a Gander at the equipment section instead.

Step 9: Outfitting your Character
You start with 35 + 2d12p silver.
First d12 got me 16 and the second got me 7. I start with 58 silver to kit myself with.

Alright so each Item has a Cost a Weight and lastly 3 availabilities. Hi is metropolitan area, medium is good city, low is hamlet/village. You roll a d% and if you roll under you can aquire that item in that area otherwise you need to go somewhere else or put out word you want it and are willing to pay. You must roll for each item you purchase.
You can choose what kind of Belt you want, either rope or leather.

Example costs are 18cp for a backpack. Copper is 10:1 for silver. Gold is 1:10 for silver.

1 Week of standard rations if 5cp while 1 week of trail rations is 5sp. Inn lodging is about 5cp for common per day.

With that I figure enough is known about my character that it can be considered finished.
I figure this post must be long and messy enough without me digging through pages of weapon/armour/equipment descriptions.

I will also note that all throughout this creation the book uses an annoying tone of "HurrDurr OldSchool!" and I realize at some point it's supposed to be sarcastic/funny. I like the system for what it's worth but the tone makes it annoying to read. I'd rather just an SRD of it because it still sounds like a fun, if extremely crunchy rule system to try for a bit.

If you guys want I'll write up a bit about the combat system later. This post took way too long to write in the first place because the system is quite dense.

Now any questions about this system?
Do you feel I didn't cover anything in enough detail?
Would you try or run this system?

I realize I kinda glossed over spellcasting due to my character choice and I may return to make a Mage or Cleric.
Also they have a basic free version if you want to read into it

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

It's a pretty elaborate joke. More importantly for a joke it's pretty drat complete and somewhat functional, and might make them money? I think at some point it might have stopped being a joke because they made something they are somewhat proud of. They just dress it up with a joke facade with the tone of the book.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hello Thread! This here thread has nearly died, I've decided to hopefully get interest flowing again.

Following up on my Hackmaster character I'm going with more retroclones starting this time with Adventurers, Conquerers and Kings, otherwise known as ACKs (pronounced 'axe'). It is notable for being named after the 3 stages of the hero, starting as Adventurers, moving on to the larger scale of Conquering and finally ruling as a King.

Basic Rules:
Standard polyhedral dice set, nothing strange like DCC or whatever when they want people to roll d14s or something.

The system uses standard ability scores STR, DEX, CON, WIS, INT, CHA.

Class is restricted based on ability scores. Scores are rolled 3d6 in order.

No races, any additional non-human race is of course a demi-human class, as is Retroclone approved. Though they do have options, you don't need to be a dwarf, you can be a Dwarven Vaultguard or Dwarven Craftpriest

Creating a Character:

The game has a handy list of steps to follow to create a character so I will follow that. (I'll be rolled actual dice cause its more fun for me)
First off I need to roll scores in order which is STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON, CHA.

STR: 9 (±0)
Strength governs the basic stuff, how hard you hit, and how often you hit in melee.

INT: 8 (-1)
This applies to how many skillsProficiencies you get. It also increase the languages you know, and of course how many spell slots you get if you are an intelligence caster. Due to my lack of intelligence (any penalty), I cannot read more than a word or two and only know my native language (which I think means I can ensure I don't known commmon!)

WIS: 7 (-1)
Wisdom is a defensive stat against magical attacks. Gives a bonus to saving throws against magic and magical items.

DEX: 7 (-1)
Dex is once again a great stat, governing AC, Initiative and also Missile weapons (no damage bonus).

CON: 10 (±0)
Con governs your meat value, high value, more meat, low value, less meat.

CHA: 14 (+1)
Gives a bonus to character reaction rolls. As well as leadership values like how many henchman I'm allowed. As well as those henchmens morale. Thankfully this means I can acquire an additional henchmen to cover my inabilities! And he'll be happier!

Well, this is why I hate rolling dice, my rolling has never been strong...

Now I need to find out which classes I qualify for, the guide also mentions that each class has at least one "prime requisite" score that affects experience gain. As well in order to choose that class you need at least a 9 in that score, though some classes might require additional ability scores. Once you have chosen a class you can sac 2 points from any score to raise that classes prime score by 1, though you cannot lower any score below 9.

I'll outline a few of the basic classes such as the fighter briefly. Unfortunately due to "natural language" and a lack of a table, one has to read the paragraphs to figure out what your class can actually do. Codified or titled abilities of the class is too modern or something...

The Fighter
Prime Requisite: STR
Requirements: None
Hit Dice: 1d8
Max Level: 14

THAC0Attack Throw: 10+, I'll explain what this means later.
Proficient in all weapons and armours.
Best progression of Saving throws and attack throws, as well as a class feature of bonus damage.
At level 5, any hirelings recieve +1 morale when you personally lead them!

The Mage
Prime Requisite: INT
Hit Dice: 1d4

Same Attack throw as fighters at level 1, though they progress at half the speed in both Attack throws and saving throws
Proficient only with Quarterstaffs, clubs, daggers and darts. Also no armour.
Gets spell progression up to 6th level spells.
At 5th level gains the ability to research spells, brew potions and scribe scrolls.
At 9th level, the mage can create magic items as well as build a Sanctum and will then attract apprentices.
At 11th level, the mage can ritual cast high level spells (7+), create constructs and create cross-breeds.

At max level the Mage gets 4+Int spells per day of 1st-4th level and 3+Int 5th & 6th levels.

Alright with 2 basic classes shown lets see what I can qualify for.

I can only qualify for STR, CON, and CHA prime requisite classes.

Humans
Fighter : STR
Mage : INT
Cleric : WIS
Thief : DEX
Assassin : STR & DEX
Bard : DEX & CHA
Bladedancer : WIS & DEX
Explorer : STR & DEX
Anti-Paladin*: STR & CHA
Barbarian* : STR & CON
Mystic* : WIS & DEX & CON & CHA (What's that monks require MAD? okay!)
Paladin* : STR & CHA
Priestess* : WIS & CHA
Shaman* : WIS
Venturer* : CHA
Warlock* : INT
Witch* : WIS & CHA

Demi-Humans
Dwarves additionally require Con of 9+
Dwarven Vaultguard : STR
Dwarven Craftpriest: WIS
Dwarven Delver* : DEX
Dwarven Fury* : STR
Dwarven Machinist* : INT & DEX

Elves require Int 9+
Elven Spellsword : STR & INT
Elven Nightblade : DEX & INT
Elven Courtier* : INT & CHA
Elven Enchanter* : INT & CHA
Elven Ranger* : STR & DEX

Gnomes require Con of 9+ and Int of 9+
Gnomish Trickster* : CON & CHA

Nobirs require All scores of 11+
Nobirian Wonderworker*: INT & WIS (Take the best features of each spellcaster and put em in one class, as well as good saving throws and disease immunity)

Thrassians require STR, DEX & CON 9+
Thrassian Gladiator*: STR

Zaharans require INT, WIS & CHA 9+
Zaharan Ruinguard*: STR & INT

*Indicates availible in the supplement of Player's Compendium

Alright so I can qualify for Fighter & Dwarven Vaultguard in the base game, though the Players Compendium opens up a lot of new avenues for me. (Anti-)Paladin & Barbarian, Venturer, Dwarven Fury are also available.

Now as CHA is the only stat I'm at a +1 in, I kind of what to use that leading me to probably the Venturer or some form of Paladin.

The Venturer
Prime Requisite: CHA
Hit Dice: 1d4

The Adventurous merchant that seeks out exotic goods and new markets.
Medium throw advance, that being 2 points every 4 levels in Attack and Saving throws.
Proficient with 1 handed weapons and Missile weapons, Armour is leather or lighter.
Mercantile Network, in any previously explored market, you can treat it as a market of one class higher.
Expert Bargainer, +10% Sell value, -10% Buy value.
Hear Noise, literally the ability to listen to silent areas...
Reading Languages 75% chance to read or decipher any non-magical writings.
+4 to avoid getting lost
+2 when parlaying with Intelligent creatures
Can Bribe to improve diplomacy for +1 bonus at a days pay, +2 for a weeks, +4 for a months pay.
At 8th level, Can cast spells of Arcane nature. Up to 4th level at 14th level.
At 9th level, Can create a guildhouse and attack apprentices.
At 12th level, Can scribe scrolls, brew potions and research spells.

That one sounds like fun so I'll take it.

Now I have my class and my ability scores, so it's time for Feats/Skills in Proficiencies.

Proficiencies
Many are boring and not that interesting, some are fairly powerful.

For my choices I'll probably take Arcane Dabbling (basically use magic device) as it sounds rather handy, as well as a AC bonus with Swashbuckling.

Interestingly enough Spells are rolled for in this game. If I was a spellcaster as this point I would roll to see what spells I start with. Though the game does recommend the GM selects your starting spell. All mages are assumed to be apprenticed, so they gain new spells through 1 week of learning per spell.

With that done all I have left to do is select equipment. Though equipment is a fairly standard AD&D selection, with each character getting 3d6x10 gold. I'd rather not go through looking at each piece of equipment and just assume I'll grab the basic adventuring staples and a scimitar.

The last thing I want to go over which is while not explicitly character related, is the combat round.

Combat
First, you must declare if you are spellcasting or retreating or making a fighting withdrawal.

Second, Initiative is rolled EACH round for each combatant. It also is rolled with a d6 making Dex extremely important for going first.

Next each combatant goes in order of initiative. You can do one of the codified actions
Move & Attack
Delay
Cast a Spell (Must be declared)(Spell is lost if damaged or fails a save before acting)
Fighting Withdrawal (Must be declared)
Retreat (Must be declared)
Charge
Run

After that it restarts until everyone on one side is dead or gone.
The attacking in this game works as 1d20 + Bonuses - Targets AC vs. Attack Throw. Basically THAC0 that's been rearranged. Interestingly enough while I didn't see it mentioned in the Fighter's description, they get automatic cleave on killing a target.

Spells are only subject to saving throws and being interrupted before they can be cast, otherwise they will succeed.

• Locked thread