Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Central Casting: Heroes of Legend isn't really a game book. Instead, it's 83 pages of random roll tables meant to give you ideas for Your Favorite Fantasy Roleplaying Game, with some... curious social views.

There's the Sexual Disorders table, for instance.

Social shyness: just as likely as necrophilia.

That's neither here nor there, though, because I'm going to use the book to roll up a character!

The first stop is 101: Character Race, which has the D&D standards (human, elf, dwarf, halfling, half elf, orc, half orc), as well as reptilemen and a catch-all "beastman" type ("includes minotaurs, centaurs, satyrs, fauns, and goatmen", though with no sign if that's supposed to be an inclusive or exclusive "includes").

This is a straight 1d20 roll, heavily biased towards humans (who take up spaces 1-14). I get a 20 on the roll, though ("other races"), and then a 4, which lands on the aforementioned reptilemen.

Next is 102: Cultural Background. A 1d10 roll without modifiers gets me an 8, for Civilized, but because I'm a reptileman that automatically turns into the Civilized-Decadent row of the table (which is listed as "Decadent Civilized" in the text, but not "Decadently Civilized"). This kind of culture is hedonistic and jaded and meant to be like the Melniboneans or the end of the Roman Empire. But what do I get for being one of the dudes that Conan slaughters his way through?

But what do these skill ranks mean?

So, I'm "average" at survival in the city and "a raw beginner" at survival in the wilderness.

The book never actually tells you if you should roll against that literacy chance for specific languages or what, but I'm going to do that anyway, with a 1d100 roll (trying to get a 20 or less). With a 48, no, I'm not literate in my native reptileman language.

Being Decadent Civilized also gives a +7 Cultural Modifier, or CuMod, which will act as a modifier to future rolls. That's higher than any of the other culture types, but the others also get more actual useful bonuses instead of having a harder time going insane.

The next table is 103: Social Status. For this the roll is 1d100 + CuMod. My 1d100+7 gets a 104, so not only am I a decadent reptileman, I'm a noble and probably distinctly wealthy decadent reptileman. It does drop my survival skills to 2 for Urban and 0 for Wilderness, though.

Now I have to jump over to 758: Nobles. This is another 1d100 without modifiers, and a 10 gets "Prince (royal)" (as labeled to be distinct from the ruler of a principality, the son of a grand duke, or whatever). That gives a +4d10 Title Modifier, or TiMod, which will be relevant in a minute when I reroll on the social status table to get actual wealth. (There's also a rule that notes that you have to roll a separate 1d100 when rerolling Social Status and don't add the TiMod if it's 95 or more, I guess just to make things more complicated.) Since the TiMod will be used like a static number later, I'll roll it and get a 22 (though the book doesn't actually explain if you're supposed to do that or not).

Prince Royal (as it's referenced in the text, rather than "Prince (royal)") gives 1d4 Land Titles, which I'm pretty sure actually means Special Titles because there are no Land Titles in the text. For the Special Titles, I jump over to 871: Special Titles for Nobility, which is just a straight-up set of three 1d20 tables to mash cliche fantasy titles together. A 1d4 roll gives me 3 titles, and I roll on the three tables three times and get "Watchwarder of the Hills", "Keeper of the Upper Steppe", and "Warden of the Seaward Pale".

Now, back to 758, the Prince Royal title comes with 70% personal ownership of estates that are 1d20x5 square miles. I roll and get a 9, so 45 square miles, with 31.5 square miles personally owned.

What do I get out of all this on a character level?

That's right, all that stuff actually just belongs to my parents (though I still get the TiMod), unless they're dead (that might happen in a later table, even though this text claims "already determined"). I do get +1d4 Charisma, personal guards, and some hobbies. Now, even though it says that there, I can't actually roll for hobbies yet because I don't know how wealthy I am, so I'll do 427: Hobbies right after I figure that out. I do roll the 1d4 now and so I know I have 4 hobbies.

There's one last thing before I can go back to Social Status: I have to roll a 1d2 for gender. For some reason the Nobles section specifically tells you to do that. I guess because it might be important for inheritance and stuff? Maybe somebody played too much Crusader Kings 2. Anyway, with a 2 I am a female noble, so I'm actually a reptilewoman instead of a reptileman, and the child of a decadent reptilewoman crown prince or something.

Now I go back to 103: Social Status.

But! Before I can actually reroll, I have to jump over to 872: Royal Relations to find out my princely father's relationship with the ruler of the land. This is a weird one.

A 1d100 gets a 48, so my father has no actual relation to the ruler of the land, despite being a prince and so in line for the throne. Maybe it's an elective monarchy or something?

Now I go back to 103: Social Status, again.

I roll a 1d100 and get 32, so I do use my TiMod on the Social Status reroll (but I wouldn't have if it was a 95 or above). Now I'm rolling 1d100 + 7 (culture) + 4d8 (title), rerolling any Nobility results. With a 96 (after one reroll), I land in the "Wealthy" zone, and if I can roll my TiMod-plus-one or less (23) on another 1d100 roll, I'm Extremely Wealthy. I get a 7, so I'm extremely wealthy and have a Social Level Modifier (SolMod) of 13 (8 extremely wealthy + 5 noble).

But what do I get for being an extremely wealthy decadent reptilewoman noble who's the daughter of a royal prince?

Yeah, okay, that's pretty nice. I reroll native literacy as a 50% chance, and I get a 47, so I'm literate in my native language (and presumably have a 40% chance to be literate in other languages). I've got plate mail and a full set of weapons.

I hop over to 649: Exotic Personality Features to roll up an exotic trait. With a 12 on 1d20, I have a "behavior tag". An 11 on 1d20 on the behavior tag subtable says that I'm a Pet Lover (which is noted as a "Lightside" trait, which may have an effect on other tables). Since I'm an ultra-wealthy decadent lizardwoman, I'm going to assume that I'm a loving collector of incredibly venomous snakes.

Now I'll finally go over to 427: Hobbies to roll up the 4 hobbies I have. For each one, I'm rolling for type of hobby (a straightforward d20 table), hobby proficiency (1d4, +1 rank for Decadent, +2 ranks for Noble), and degree of interest (a 1d10 table that goes from "Casual" to "Consuming Passion").

My first hobby is animal husbandry, with 6 ranks. This means I'm "Very Good", so I suppose I must be breeding my own strains of even more ultra-venomous snakes from the wild versions. It's only a Casual Interest, though.

My second hobby is hairdressing and cosmetics, with 4 ranks ("Fairly Competent"). Do lizardwomen even have hair? And why is hairdressing and cosmetics on the hobby table for ersatz-D&D characters anyway? It is my Consuming Passion, though, and with a 1d6 roll I find out I spend 50% of my total income on this hobby. Given the whole not-D&D thing, that honestly just sounds like normal PC behavior to have enough jewelry on one's person to buy a small country.

My third hobby is singing, with 6 ranks ("Very Good" again). It's a Sporadic and Variable interest, and I spend about 1% of my total income on it.

My fourth hobby gets an 11, sports and athletics, and a d8 sub-roll (sloppy editing strikes again because there are 8 items but it says to use a d6) lands on wrestling. This gives me a +1 to my Strength (whenever it eventually shows up), and 7 ranks in wrestling ("Master"). I am Devoted to my wrestling hobby, and spend about 10% to 15% of my income on it.

Now I'm finally done with everything from 103, and I go to 104: Birth Legitimacy. With a 1d20 + CuMod, I get a 10, so I'm a legitimate birth (19 or above is an illegitimate child).

Since I'm not illegitimate, I go right to 106: The Family. With a 1d20 + CuMod, I get a 14, and then a 2 on 1d2, so my entire family is a single maternal grandparent.

I have no idea how this is supposed to interact with the noble thing. Are my parents dead so I get all that sweet, sweet stuff? I'm going to assume for the moment that I don't, and so I guess I was raised directly by the Queen while my princely father faffed about uselessly somewhere else.

For 107: Siblings, I get a 5 on the number-of-siblings table for 1d3 siblings, and then roll that to get 3 siblings.

On 108: Birth Order, I get a 2 and am the first born, which gives +20% additional starting money (I guess that means 24x the normal starting wealth instead of 20x). I have no idea if that makes me more likely to inherit noble title stuff, because it doesn't say.

109: Time of Birth is a very :effort: section.

I'm going to roll a 1d12 for month—7, August—and 1d31 for day—11—and just leave it at that. I have no idea about year. Anybody have the Conan calendar on hand?

110: Place of Birth is another straightforward 1d20 table (modified by the Legitimacy Modifier, LegitMod, but I don't have one since I'm a legitimate child). A roll of 18 means I was born in an exotic location. For that I roll on 111: Exotic Birth Locations, and with a 14 I get a special result: GM ONLY - refer to entry #111 on Table 978: GM Specials.

I must be some kind of terrifying reptilewoman simulacrum, but I'm going to ignore the "fabricated memories" part because it's way more entertaining to be the result of some bizarre magical attempt to create a worthy ruler for the decadent and slowly collapsing reptileman empire. One that loves makeup and hairstyling!

This result gives me a Birth Modifier (BiMod) of 25, which will affect the next table.

For 112: Unusual Births, I roll 1d100 + 25 (the BiMod), and get an 86: when I was born (or, I guess, magically created), there were two unusual occurences, one of which is hidden. For these I roll on 113: Unusual Birth Circumstances. The first 1d100 is a 13, "Mother died in childbirth". I know about this one, and probably think the mother died in, you know, actual childbirth, but in this case it's that instead her soul got sucked out to power whatever process created me, like some kind of decadent reptileman EvangelionFrankenstein.

The second result is a 100.

This was the "hidden" result, so I'm going to say that I have no idea about the effects of either of the rerolls.

The third result, with a 1d100+20, is a 40, "Character was born at exactly midnight". For this I roll 1d3 times on a subtable (my 1d3 roll for this gives 3 times). The first sub-result is 3 on 1d10 for Night Vision ("see in dark as if day"), which I guess is perfect night vision, since it doesn't clarify. The second sub-result is 9 on 1d10 for "+2 to Magical Ability attribute after sun sets (or when in darkness or shadow)". The third sub-result is 7 on 1d10 for "+1 Rank natural skill bonus for any stealth related skills (sneaking around, hiding, etc)".

The fourth result on 113, with the 1d100+20 again, is 114. This is an entertaining one.

So, uh. I guess that the Reptilemen Queen sacrificed her daughter-in-law's life as part of a ritual to capture some of the essence of the Reptilegod (possibly using my father as a forced avatar of some kind) and create me with it, and my father has never been around because it freaked him out and he noped the gently caress out of there.

First I go to 874: Physical Afflictions. This is a 1d20 roll without modifers, and despite the name of the table, it's a mix of good, bad, and weird things (weird skin colors, psychic powers, hunchbacked, webbed fingers, etc). I get a 20 on this table.

Yeah, like half the tables in this book have a "reroll a couple more times" result if you get a maximum. My 1d2+1 comes up as a 2.

The first reroll is a 20 again. :v: This time, my 1d2+1 comes up as a 3. I have four rolls remaining on this table.

My second reroll is a 14, which adds 1d6 to Strength. I roll it and get +3 (so my Strength is now +4 total after that wrestling bonus).

My third reroll is a 19, which gives me snake fangs.

My fourth reroll is a 16, which gives me ~psychic power~. Now I have to jump over to 873: Psychic Abilities to see what. This one is another 1d20 table. Psychic abilities count like a skill, complete with starting at rank 1. The not-quite-a-system in the book labels psychic powers as basically doing temporary Strength damage when used, with Strength returning with sleep or bed rest. With a 5 on a 1d20, I get the Clairvoyance III power.

So basically I can make like Doctor Strange and scry on people which being all spooky and astral and stuff. Also, it's a good thing I'm getting these Strength bonuses, given that cost.

Now I go back to 874. My fifth and last reroll is a 4, which gives me glowing eyes that let me see in the dark without a light source (which I guess is kind of pointless because I already have perfect night vision). I have a 60% chance for the glow to be a special color, and a 36 on 1d100 says that it is, so I jump over to 865: Colors and get a 15 for Black. My eyes glow... black? Back on 874, I also get to roll 1d4 on a subtable, and with a 1 I find out that my special eyes give me another psychic power! Back on 873: Psychic Abilities I roll a 7 on the 1d20 table and get Hypnosis.

With all those rolls finally done, I go to 863: Gifts and Legacies. This is another 1d20 table with a bunch of little subtables. The main roll is 16, "a piece of clothing", and a 7 on the 1d8 subtable tells me that my godly parent has given me "a pair of stockings or hose". (Yes, seriously, that's one of the items.) As these items "may be magic items (even if not rolled as such)", and given the divine parent, I note down my magic thighhighs and go to the next table.

On 869: Blessings, another 1d20 table with no modifiers, I get a 9, which gives me a roll on the only subtable, "Unique Talents". That 1d10 roll gets me a 1, Blind Trust. "Other beings want to trust the character as if he were their best friend."

Finally I go to 864: Deities. On this table I'm rolling 1d20 + 7 (CuMod) to find out the deific parent. A result of 17 results in the Love Goddess, who "in Decadent cultures [...] is lust embodied".

With all of that done, I can go to 114: Parents & NPCs. Now, back over in the social status section, nobles are noted as having 1d4 hobbies on 427: Hobbies instead of an occupation, so even though it doesn't mention that again in 114, I'm going to skip the first part of 114 (rolling an occupation for parents), and instead roll 1d4 hobbies each for my absent father and for the grandmother who raised me.

Dear old dad has 2 hobbies. The first, with an 18 on 1d20, is animal husbandry again (he must have given me some of his snakes), with 6 ranks ("very good"), and it's a Devoted hobby that he spends 10% to 15% of total income on. The second hobby, with a 10 on 1d20, is studying, and a 4 on 1d8 for the subtable tells me he studies astronomy. He has 4 ranks in it ("above average"), and it's a Sporadic and Variable hobby that takes up 1% of his income.

Gramma has 3 hobbies. The first, with another 18, is animal husbandry again (breeding snakes must really run in this family), with 5 ranks ("good"), and it's a Sporadic and Variable hobby for her. The second hobby, with a 20, is Heraldry, at rank 7 ("master"), and it's Casual. (Shouldn't a Queen know that stuff already, though?) The third hobby, with a 13, is "develop appreciation of the arts-- learn to appreciate and critique art, music, drama, poetry, etc.", at rank 5, and it's a Sporadic and Variable interest.

Now I'm back to 114B, to roll up Noteworthy Items about the both of them. A 1 on a d3 tells me there's only one noteworthy item to roll, and a 2 on a d6 tells me it applies to Queen Grandma. The actual table is another 1d20 table without modifiers and with a few subtables, and the 2 that I roll tells me that she had 1d3 unusual birth circumstances.

So, over to 113: Unusual Birth Circumstances! Again! I roll a 3 on the 1d3.

The first 1d100 roll is a 46, which tells me that Grandma was afflicted by ancient family curse once found completely gone. I have to jump over to 868: Curses and roll another 1d20 to find out what curse, and the 6 tells me that she is a lycanthrope! It says "generally a werewolf", but doesn't actually dictate a specific type. Some kind of hypno-lizard werewolf Queen, I guess.

The second 1d100 roll is a 99. A mysterious stranger gave Grandma some kind of gift at birth. I go back to 863: Gifts and Legacies, roll a 4 on 1d20 to tell me it's a piece of jewelry, and then roll a 9 on the subtable to tell me it's a pin or brooch.

The third 1d100 roll is an 86, which tells me that Grandma is one of a set of identical triplets. I just... uh... well... okay.

Now I finally get to go to 216: Significant Events of Childhood and Adolescence. Here I finally start actually rolling for my imitation reptilewoman psychic mind-twisting abomination's life history. First I get a 2 on 1d3 to find the number of significant events throughout childhood, then 1 on another 1d3 for adolescence.

Now I roll 1d12 twice to get the ages the first two events happened—7 and 11. For the events, I roll 1d20 + SolMod, so I'm rolling 1d20+13.

The first roll (for the event at age 7) is an 18, "something good happens to the character", and a 3 tells me that Something Wonderful Occurs. This counts as a Lightside event for future tables that use that. Now I go over to 529: Something Wonderful.... On this table I'm rolling 1d20+13 again, and I get a 22, "reroll, but so not add in the character's SolMod", and then a 2.

Okay, back to 863, again, and this time it's something explicitly magic. My 1d20 is a 14, "a deed to a property", and on the subtable I get a 2, "an ancient castle". So at age 7, while helping (or trying to help) with renovations, I find the deed to a magic castle behind the couch and hypnotize anyone who tries to take it away from me into jumping off the top of the family mansion. Sweet.

The second roll (the one for the event at age 11) is 19, "a special age-specific event occurs". Now I go to 216: Special Events of Childhood & Adolescence and roll an unmodified 1d20 on 216A. I get a 19, "an event that would normally affect an adolescent occurs now", and so roll another unmodified 1d20 on 216B. This roll is a 13.

For 542: Ah Love! (there's only one exclamation point), first I roll a 3 on 1d3 for the number of romantic events, and a 5 on 1d20 for the number of months the romantic involvement lasts. The first event (which is just another 1d20 table with no modifiers) is a 4, "character marries his or her beloved". For the second event I get a 15.

Well, I go over to 545: Death Situations and roll a 1d20 on the table for the cause of death.

Now over on 868: Curses, I roll for the curse and get a 14. "1d4 Tragedies occur to the afflicted character in rapid succession." The 1d4 roll is a 3, and I go over to 528: Tragedies, where I roll 1d20+13 (SolMod) 3 times.

I roll a 2 for the 1d3 and a 6 for the 1d6, which I'm going to say drops me from Extremely Wealthy equivalent to Well-to-Do equivalent for the 6 years, then back up to Wealthy. (The book doesn't actually explain how to use the pseudo-status of nobility and how it should interact with the rest of the scale.)

I get a 3 on the 1d6, so there's no further Social Status drop.

At... age 11? Well, I go over to 875: Crimes. The first thing it tells me to do is to go to 750: Others and see who the crime was committed against. On 750, my 7 on 1d20 tells me it was a Noble. I go over to 758: Nobles, get a 4 on 1d100, and find out it was against the King. Now I actually roll a 1d20 on 875 for the crime, and get a 4, indicating Murder.

Murdering the King.

:saddowns:

This comes with a sentence of 1d20+25 years, minus 1d4 for being Wealthy by the end of it. A lucky roll gets me a 26-year sentence, so I'll be 37 by the time I get out of prison.

Now I go to 540: Imprisoned. A 1d3 roll of 3 tells me there are 3 significant events during that time. The first roll of 1d10 on table 540 is a 5, "character learns thieving skills at 1d3+1 skill Ranks", and I get a 2 for that roll.

The second roll is a 3 on 1d10.

The third roll is a 9 on 1d10, "character partifipates in a prison uprising". A 6 on a 1d6 tells me that I led the uprising, and then a 4 on a 1d6 tells me that it succeded. A third 1d6 is a 1 and says that no guards died. Because the uprising succeeded, I roll 26 on a 1d100 to tell me she served 26% of the prison term (or, 6.76 years, escaping at age 17 and three-fourths), and a 5 on the subtable tells me that a guard aided the prisoners in their escape (not surprising, with that Hypnosis power and already being hero-worshipped).

When I finally go back and reroll on 545: Death Situations...

I'm not going to do the guilt roll it asks for, since the romantic affairs table already said I was responsible.

So I guess at age 11 I fall in love with someone, marry them, then get bored with them five months later and dump then on the streets or something so they end up sold off into slavery so horrible that when they die they curse me so badly that it wrecks the entire country's economy, makes my house catch on fire, and gets me caught carrying a bunch of ultra-poisonous snakes and looming ominously over the King who just had a fatal heart attack. How's that for karma?

Now I go back to 215: Significant Events of Childhood and Adolescence for my one event in adolescence. For this event, a roll of 1d6+12 tells me it happened at age 17 (so, while still in prison), and I roll 1d20+9 (the newly adjusted SolMod for Wealthy equivalent) and get an Exotic Event. This counts as a wildcard trait (could be Lightside, Darkside, or Neutral for later tables). On 544: Exotic Events, I roll 1d20 and get a 1.

Well, I guess that explains the jailbreak.

On 759: Unusual Pets, I roll a 1d20 for Pet Types and get 15, "fish", and a 5 on 1d6 tells me it can stay out of water indefinitely. A 3 on 1d3 gives it 3 special abilities, and on the Special Pet Abilities table 3 1d20 rolls are 6 for a Physical Affliction, 1 for wings, and 9 to regenerate damage done to it. I go over to 874: Physical Afflictions and get a 4. :v: Glowing eyes for everyone! The fish succeds on a 60% chance to have a special glow color and a special power; on 865: Colors, an 8 on 1d20 tells me it's a blue-green glow, and back on 874, a 4 on 1d4 tells me the fish can "see through walls like X-ray vision".

On 864: Deities, a 1d20+7 (CuMod) results in a 9, the "ruling deity" who is "master of the other gods, and gives his blessing to the leaders of the people and teaches them to be better rulers".

Now I flip back and go to 217: Significant Events of Adulthood. I'll say that I'm just beginning my adventuring career, so I make one roll on this table. For that I roll 2d20+9 (the new SolMod).

The roll is a 34: "Character develops jaded tastes for exotic and possibly expensive pleasures." I'll bet. This counts as a Darkside trait for future tables.

Now I go to 318: Alignment & Attitude. This is where those Lightside/Darkside/Neutral/wildcard traits kick in. Basically, there's three separate tables where you just roll however many times and it spits out adjectives at you.

I have two Lightside traits, so I roll twice on 647: Lightside Traits. The first 2d20 is 26, making me Generous. The second is 33, making me Friendly.

I have one random trait, so I roll on a 1d100 on 318A: Personality Trait Check and get an 84, which tells me it's a Darkside trait.

With that I have one Darkside trait, so I roll on 648: Darkside Traits. A 22 on 2d20 makes me Disrespectful, which I could kind of expect with being an ultra-rich psychic abomination child of one god who got personally selected by a different god and then led an uprising that broke out of presumably the most secure prison in the nation.

Because I don't have two more Lightside than Darkside traits, or two more Darkside than Lightside traits, I'm of Neutral alignment.

Done! Except for, you know, actually having a usable character sheet.

Join us next time when I try to stat this all up in GURPS.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Here's some Central Casting: Heroes for Tomorrow.

Why? Why not?

Like back in Central Casting: Heroes of Legend, Heroes for Tomorrow isn't a game, but instead a book-length lifepath generator for all kinds of genres. And, just like in Heroes of Legend (where random rolls got me a magical construct werewolf lizardwoman royal criminal with hypnotic powers who was chosen as an agent on earth by a god and given a winged walking fish with X-ray vision by him), Heroes for Tomorrow can come up with some completely batshit results.

Sadly, the game makes me choose what kind of scifi future: Tarnished Tomorrows (Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, etc), The Final Frontier (duh), Imperial Space (also duh), and Post Holocaust (perhaps a poor choice of name, and the category for Fallout, Gamma World, and whatever). But, to keep in spirit here, I'll roll for it anyway!

Future: 1d4 -> 2. The Final Frontier has a FutMod ("how fancy is this scifi?" modifier) of 1d6+6, means that future-specific events use Table 526: Final Frontier Events, and mean that if this character gets a personal spaceship as part of the table rolling, only a 6 on 1d6 will make it up to date and otherwise it's an outdated clunker.

FutMod: 1d6+6 -> 10. This means literally nothing by itself, other than suggesting that this character will probably come from somewhere fancy.

And here comes the first real table: character race, with a 1d10 roll. "Human" takes up 1 to 7, "Mutant Human" is the result on an 8, and only a 9-10 gets any kind of aliens at all. In fact, only a 9 or 10, then a 1, then another 1 gets a humanlike alien. Other options on the "Alien being" section include things like amphibians, Kzintibestial aliens, cetaceans, and Hortanon-organic aliens. Still, rubber forehead aliens seem awfully rare for something supposedly intended for Star Trek style games, among other things.

Table 101: Character Race: 1d10 -> 7. Human! So close to something more exciting. Dang.

Next comes a random table that determines the Tech Level of this character's culture. Since it goes from 1 to 20 and I'm adding that FutMod to the roll, it'll probably be pretty high.

Table 102A: Tech Level: 1d20+10 -> 26. This gets a Mixed Technology result. This tells me to...
Roll again, without FutMod: 1d20 -> 14. The character's culture is experiencing the Third Stellar Age. This includes hand-held lasers, antimatter power plants, FTL communications, humanoid robots, and small interstellar ships. It doesn't include widespread antigravity or energy shields. I guess this is Babylon 5 level, maybe. This result gives 22 "Education Points" (e.g. skill points and crap), and the 14 result also becomes the character's TekMod. But because of that high result I also...
Roll d6 for a special modifier: 1d6 -> 4. This tells me that something important about the culture's technology is more typical of a lower Tech Level ("say, steam-powered space ships"). I'm not sure what would fit yet! I'll see what else I roll.
Literacy: 1d100 (trying to get 95 or under) -> 1. The character is literate! Yay! Maybe they are super literate, I dunno.

Next is a table that determines what kind of culture the character has. This is actually nearly identical to the same one from Heroes of Legend, except that it has a couple of extra entries added for your Federation and Foundation games. For this we roll and add the TekMod from above.

Table 102B: Culture: 1d100+14 -> 71. This is (just barely) a Decadent culture. This is Space Late Imperial Rome, or maybe Solaria from the Honor Harrington books (except not completely helpless against even the most minor barbarians at the gates). This gives a CuMod of 8, 5 ranks of "Survival Skills", and another 2d6 Education Points. Being decadent also means this character gets 1d3 additional ranks of Urban Survival, and gives another special roll...
More Education Points: 2d6 -> 9.
More Urban Survival: 1d3 -> 1.
Special roll: 1d6 -> 6. This gives 1d3 "Darkside" traits from Table 643C: Darkside Traits, one "Neutral" trait from Table 643B: Neutral Traits, and one exotic personality trait from Table 644: Exotic Personality Traits.

Yay, more tables to roll on before we even know what age, profession, or social class this character is! :downs:

1d3 rolls: 1d3 -> 2.
First roll on Table 643C: Darkside Traits: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 11. The character is an egoist: they have a "selfish concern for own welfare".
Second roll on Table 643C: Darkside Traits: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 15. The character is thoughtless, and "rarely thinks of others".

So, basically any of the characters from a teen comedy movie.

Roll on Table 643B: Neutral Traits: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 31. Leader. The character "takes initiative, can take command".
Roll on Table 644: Exotic Personality Traits: First is 1d20 -> 12. This tells me this is a Behavior Tag. Then (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 38 indicates the character is a Pet Lover who "has many pets" and "may focus on a type of animal, cats, dogs, giant amoebae, etc". This is a Lightside trait, because everybody loves crazy cat ladies!

Now we go all the way back to Table 103: Social Status to figure out this character's social class. This is another d100 roll, modified by the CuMod from the Culture roll above (+8), and it gives me even more modifiers for other rolls.

Table 103: Social Status: 1d100+8 -> 101. This character is part of the Nobility! This means even more tables to roll on. First, though, it gives a +30% to literacy chance (oops, already rolled that, but it's not like it matters now), it gives +1d6 Education Points, and a 50% chance to have another Exotic Personality Trait.
Even more Education Points: 1d6 -> 5.
Another weird trait?: 1d2, 1 means "yes": 1, yes!

So now we hop back over to the traits tables.

Roll on Table 644: Exotic Personality Traits: First is 1d20 -> 17. This tells me this is a Sexual Disorder. :getin: Note that sexual disorders don't, unlike Heroes of Legend, automatically make you more evil! So what angst-driving sexual disorder does this character have? What dark secret do they not dare reveal lest they be considered "abnormal, even evil and unclear" and "persecuted and punished"? Well, 2d8 -> 15 indicates the character is... xenophiliac, "sexually excited by alien beings".

Wait, isn't that just Captain Kirk?

Now we go to Table 749: Nobles to figure out what kind of nobility this character is. This is a set of rolls: character gender (tangentially important for exact title of address), rank of noble, and sphere of influence. It's specifically noted that a player charater is not actually a noble, but instead the child of the rolled noble, who gets the bonuses from that rank of nobility but no personal power. It's also noted that the character gets +1d4 Charisma as long as people know they're of Noble birth.

Table 749A: Noble Notes: 1d100 -> 6. Daddy (or maybe Mommy) is a Khan! This is "powerful nomad", "ruler of a great tribe or tribal federation", and between King and Archduke on the table. Note that nomadic societies have a separate culture entry from Decadent, so maybe that's a different culture from the one the character grew up in. Anyway, this is pretty nice, and gives a 5d8 TiMod (which is added to the influence roll).
TiMod: 5d8 -> 20.
Table 749B: Sphere of Influence: 1d100+20 -> 101. Interplanetary. Whatever khanate this character originates from influences an entire star system, either from control or renown.

Now we go... back to Table 103: Social Status to reroll it for actual wealth! This time we're adding that TiMod, though.

Table 103: Social Status: 1d100+8+20 -> 96. The character is Wealthy. This also means a second roll...
Extremely Wealthy? 1d100, trying to get less than or equal to than TiMod (20): 20. Yes! Extremely Wealthy! This adds another +50% to literacy chance, a 30% chance to speak 1d4 other languages, enough wealth to start with anything up to and including a small spaceship, plenty of spending money even when out and about ("this should be limited to 20x the normal starting money"), another +3d6 Education Points, and a SolMod (Social Level Modifier) of 10 for Extremely Wealthy plus 5 for Noble for a total of 15.
More languages?: 1d100, trying to get 30 or under: 70. Nope. No free languages.
Even even more Education Points: 3d6 -> 11.

Now we get to the Birth & Family section, where we actually start to find out stuff about this character instead of just finding out that she's an ultra-wealthy xenophiliac thoughtless egoist pet lover noble khan's daughter from a decadent culture!

Table 104A: Birth Legitimacy: 1d20 -> 14 tells me the character is a legitimate birth (19-20 mean illegitimate, which modifies assorted other stuff).
Table 104B: The Family: 1d20 -> 7 tells me the character was raised by one parent, and 1d2 -> 1 tells me it was her father.
Table 104C: Siblings & Birth Order: 1d6-1 -> 3 tells me that 3 siblings have "survived birth". Yes, there's no modifiers for this for being in a shiny scifi future. Now a 1d6 -> 4 and then a 1d2 -> 1 tells me that this character is firstborn among those siblings. That means she's in line for inheritance of that khanate should dear Daddy die of some unfortunate accident arranged by some theoretical thoughtless egoist decadent character.

Table 105A: Home Worlds: 1d10 -> A colony world "at the fringe of civilization" is the character's home world.
Table 105B: World Types: 1d10 -> It's an artificial world "constructed by sentient beings", which suggests some kind of alien artifact or something, since the tech level isn't high enough for that.

Now we go to Place of Birth, which has all kinds of weird results ("in a brothel (this does not necessarily indicate that the character's mother was a prostitute)" and "in the temple of an evil or malignant cult" are two of my favorites). First we roll for a general place of birth, adding Tech Level (not TekMod, just the tech level).

Table 105C: Place of Birth: 2d8+14 -> 17. This means the character was born in an exotic location. Yay! I love how weird those exotic locations are.
Table 105D: Exotic Places: 1d20 -> 19. "Roll twice more on this table. Combine the results (and BiMods) in a workable way." Well, uh, okay... 1d20 -> 14 is "born within the gravitation effects of a black hole", with a BiMod of 25. 1d20 -> 16 is "in another dimension", with a BiMod of 25, with a footnote that "character was then transported to this world 1d4 years after birth" (and I roll for that and get 1d4 -> 3). Ahaha what the gently caress? So I guess this character spent her first few years being raised by the Prophets from DS9 or something?

And with a total BiMod of +50, I'm literally guaranteed to get something on the next set of tables, Unusual Births.

Table 106A: Birth Circumstances: 1d100+50 -> 137. This means that there were five "unusual occurances" surrounding this character's birth, 1d3 of them that the character doesn't know the truth about.
Mystery!: 1d3 -> 1 mysterious occurence.
Table 106B: Birth Events first event: 1d100 -> 96.
Table 106B: Birth Events second event: 1d100 -> 59.
Table 106B: Birth Events third event: 1d100 -> 57.
Table 106B: Birth Events fourth event: 1d100 -> 63.
Table 106B: Birth Events fifth and MYSTERIOUS event: 1d100 -> 94.

I... just... hahaha, wow.

So this character is not just an ultra-wealthy noble, she's a psychic cyborg ultra-wealthy noble who may be the Kwisatz Haderach and was visited by a mysterious stranger bearing gifts upon her birth in another dimension before being raised by wormhole aliens for three years.

I expected nothing less from Central Casting.

Well, I have more tables to roll now!

First is that gift. To start with I roll 1d6 -> 3, so the character doesn't know who gave that gift. Now I'll roll for the actual gift...

Table 864: Gifts & Legacies: 1d20 -> 2. "The guardianship of a young ward." Wait, what the hell? I, um, what, how? At birth? Well, I'll go over and roll on...
Table 752A: Companions: 1d10 -> 5, "a robot or computer". But, wait, that's not a ward! Now this sends me over to...
Table 750A: Artificial Persons: 1d20 -> 14 tells me that this is a "War Machine", and with that I roll on...
Table 750B: Intelligence Levels: 1d10 -> 6 tells me that it's "Self Aware", and...
Table 750C: Body Types: 1d20+1d10 -> 6 tells me that it's "Machine-like", and its "form and appearance are tailored to its function".

I decide right now that this is a mini-Bolo, or maybe a sarcastic teenage comedy relief version of the Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell. In any case it is a self-aware space tank that this character was trained in the operation of as a toddler by wormhole aliens.

Now I figure out who died when this character was born. Oooh, spooky!

Table 104D: Other Relations: 2d8 -> 13. Great Grandparent. I guess this character is supposedly the reincarnation of great grandmammy khaness or something.

But what cyborg parts does the character have? I flip over to Bionics and roll 1d3 -> 3 for the number of bionic parts.

Table 861A: Replacement Parts: 2d8 -> 16 tells me that the character has a partial artificial brain. I, um, I, okay, I guess. I don't even know what the gently caress. I haven't looked at this table before so I hadn't realized that was a result. Wow.
Table 861B: Function: 1d10 -> 10 means that the partial artificial brain grants superhuman powers. This "enhances any skills or attributes that may be affected by it by 1d3x1d6 Ranks/points". I guess that's, uhh, most of them? But it has a 15% malfunction chance, which basically means that from this point on at least fifteen percent of the time the character will devolve into comical/saddening uncoordinated flailing and/or seizures when her brain fails in the middle of a fight.
Table 861C: Device Appearance: 1d10 -> 8 means that this part "duplicate(s) life", and is completely indistinguishable from the living body part. WORMHOLE ALIEN MAGIC!
Nervous system enhancement: 1d3 x 1d6 -> 9 ranks enhancement for anything to do with the brain. Which I guess is basically any mental skill.

Now for the second part.

Table 861A: Replacement Parts: 2d8 -> 5 tells me that the character has two artificial eyes.
Table 861B: Function: 1d10 -> 4 means that the artificial eyes duplicate the original. But they still have a 5% malfunction chance.
Table 861C: Device Appearance: 1d10 -> 4 means that this is an "obvious machine" - basically Geordi's eyes from First Contact or weird irises or chrome cueball eyes or something. It doesn't give any penalties, so it's not outright ugly, just strange.

Now for the third part.

Table 861A: Replacement Parts: 2d8 -> 11 tells me that the character has an artificial heart.
Table 861B: Function: 1d10 -> 9 means that this artificial heart exceeds the performance of the original, and "enhances any skills or attributes that may be affected by it by 1d3 Ranks/points". It also has a 10% malfunction chance when used in a stress situation.
Table 861C: Device Appearance: 1d10 -> 7 means that this, like the nervous system, "duplicates life".
Heart enhancement: 1d3 -> 2 points enhancement for anything to do with the heart, which I'm going to assume means basically any physical skill.

So, I just have to say here, the whole "mlafunction in stress situation" thing is stupid as poo poo, and possibly the only thing so far in this book that's made me frown at the stupidity instead of giggle at the stupidity. I'm going to just ignore it and pretend that it doesn't exist, because not only is a malfunctioning heart basically a death sentence for anybody, but having something like a 32% chance in every "stress situation" for some random vital body to malfunction (even if it's a temporary disabling instead of harmful way) just degenerates everything into asurdist slapstick, like how in games with critical miss tables there will inevitably be 1% of each army in a pitched battle cutting off their own heads each round.

Anyway, now it's time to get back on the train and roll up a tragedy!

Table 520A: Tragic Result: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 39, "the character's home is destroyed along with all personal belongings". A roll of 1d6 -> 3 means the Social Status remains the same, though. Clearly that's why it's now an interplanetary khanate instead of a planetary khanate! Space war! :woot: (I actually rerolled a bunch on this because almost none of these actually make sense as something to have happened before the character was born.)

And now for those psionics. I roll 1d3 -> 2 for the number of them. I flip over to Psionics for the first one...

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 13 means the first power is Mind Block.

The number in the brackets there is the Strength cost to manifest this - yep, it's basically self-invoked ability damage, which makes these powers in the Central Casting mini-system nearly useless most of the time unless you put most or all of your skill ranks into them. (It does note that "If the game system being used has rules for psionic abilities, use the power or powers that most closely match those selected from the table below", though.) Each power can have points put into it like a skill, at least, to reduce the Strength burn.

And for the second power...

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 19 means reroll time! Yes, like, half the tables in this book have reroll clauses. Now I roll 1d3+1 -> 4 for 4 more powers. The first of the four rerolls:

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 6 means the second power is Psychic Healing.

I'm pretty sure now that this character is the Space Messiah, except as Cher from Clueless.

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 19 means reroll time, again! Dang. Okay. Uh. I roll 1d3+1 -> 3, so now I have 5 more rolls to do.

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 12 is Mind Block again. Rather than adding another instance of it, it adds 1d3 -> 2 ranks to it.

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 8 is Persuasion.

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 11 is Teleportation.

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 9 is Telekinesis.

Table 862: Psionic Power: 1d20 -> 5 is Clairvoyance III.

...Wait, does that brain enhancement mean all of these get +9 ranks automatically? After all, they're all things that "may be affected" by having a super brain. I'm going to assume yes, because that's pretty hilarious. Oh, hey, and there's the +2 ranks from the heart, given that using them drains Strength!

So now that the character is done getting loaded up on cyborg parts, wormhole alien magic, and self-aware space tanks gifted from mysterious strangers, I'm going to zoom all the way back to Table 107: Parents & NPCs. Since Mary Sue here has only one parent, I'll roll for her father.

Table 863: Appearances: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 28. Dad is "unusually muscular", with "a body like a professional weight-lifter".

Table 107A: Occupations: 1d20 -> 10. Daddy dearest has one full-time occpation and one part-time occupation. Now I roll for both, one with social modifiers for the full-time occupation and one without for the part-time.
Table 413A: Occupations: 1d10+15 -> 18 means... a roll on another table.
Table 413E: Occupation Table IV: 1d20 -> 5 means he's a clergyman. Now I roll on...
Table 537A: Religions: 1d20 -> 6 means that he's a clergyman of a splinter faith of a universal monotheistic church.
Table 53B7: How It Begins: 1d10 -> 9 means that he converted to that religion after a chance encounter.
Table 53B7: How It Begins: 1d3 -> 3 gives 3 events. 1d20 -> 9 and then 1d10 -> 5 show that when he joined the religion, he became a devoted follower of the faith's principles. 1d20 -> 2 mean that at some point he made a pilgrimage to "an important but distant shrine of the religion, possibly on another planet". 1d20 -> 19 mean that he studied the priesthood for 1d4 -> 3 years, gaining 2 ranks of literacy skills and 3 ranks of religious knowledge.

I'm pretty sure Dad is the Space Khan Pope.

Table 413A: Occupations: 1d10 -> 2 is, yes, a roll on another table.
Table 413B: Occupation Table I: 1d20 -> 11 means that Dad is a part-time soldier. Now I go over to Table 530: Military Experience to figure out his experience...
Table 532A: Branch of Service: 1d4 -> 3 means Space Navy. Space Navy is the best navy. And 1d6 -> 3 means Space Fighter Pilot. I'm going to assume that this actually means Ship Captain, because, like, goddamn, man, he's a Khan! A Khan with a planet!
Table 533A/B: Military Rank: 1d10+15 -> 24 means that his rank is "Planetary ruler". That's dang right! This would give a bonus to SolMod, except it's already maxed out at 15. It also gives dear old Dad direct command of 50,000 men during any events that pop up under Military Experience. This actually worked out well, because basically any other roll would have been nonsensical with the whole Khan thing already rolled up.

Table 534: Military Skills: First, Dad automatically gets Rank 2 in a ranged combat weapon, Rank 1 in martial arts, and +1 rank to Wilderness Survival. Then a 1d10 -> 10 on Combat Skills increases his ranged combat weapon use by 1d3 -> 1 rank, a 1d10 -> 3 on Special Survival skills gives him Rank 3 Camouflage & Concealment, a 1d10 -> 4 on Special Survival gives him Rank 3 Trailing ("following someone unseen", not navigating trails), a 1d10 -> 5 on Combat Skills gives Rank 3 Military Strategy (and a floating +1/-1 bonus that can be used on Table 531 if it ever comes up), a 1d10 -> 1 on Space Skills gives Rank 3 Space Piloting, and a 1d10 -> 7 gives Rank 3 Null-G ("function normally in little or no gravity").
Table 539: In the Service Of...: 1d10 -> 6 tells me that the army he's a part of serves the senior officials of the land. Uh, duh, that's him.
Table 530: Military Experience: There are 1d3 -> 3 notable events during Dad's term of service.
Table 530: Military Events: 1d20 -> 15 means he's promoted one rank. Given that he's already a "planetary ruler", this bumps him up to "interplanetary ruler", who "conquer[ed] several neighboring ... planets".
Table 530: Military Events: 1d20 -> 12 means that his troops are involved in numerous skirmishes. And a 1d10 -> 8 means we get the results of one of those from another table!
Table 531: Battle Events: I roll 1d20 -> 14 for Dad, versus 1d20 -> 10 for enemies. Dad wins, but his best friend dies at his side during the battle. Wait, was this how Mom died? :(:
Table 530: Military Events: 1d20 -> 2 means that a major battle happened.
Table 531: Battle Events: I roll 1d20+1 -> 20 for Dad, versus 1d20 -> 5 for enemies. Dad wins, and in fact he wins so well that he performs "a successful heroic mission that did real damage to the enemy's ability to wage war" and ends the war in 1d6 -> 6 months.

Now, with all the military stuff over, we go back to more lighthearted things! Maybe! I hope!

Table 107B: Noteworthy Items: 1d3 -> 2 means two noteworthy items. For the first, 1d20 -> 7 means he has an "unusual ability or physical feature". For the second, 1d20 -> 3 means he devotes time for a hobby. Now I have to go and roll on...
Table 859: Talents, Mutations, & Modifications: 1d20 -> 12 means that Dad has a unique talent, and 1d8 -> 1 means that it's Blind Trust: "Other beings want to trust the character as if he were their best friend." Okay, that's, uh, that's kind of spooky. Gotta say.
Table 419A: Type of Hobby: 1d20 -> 13 means that Dad's hobby is gameplaying. 1d8 -> 8 means that it's roleplay gaming.

:hurr:

Table 419B: Degree of Interest: 1d20 -> 5 means this is a "sporadic and variable hobby" that the character will spend 1% of his total income (that's still a crapload, what with being Extremely Wealthy).
Table 419C: Hobby Proficienciy: 1d4 -> 4 means that dad has Rank 4 Roleplaying skill. As a Sporadic and Variable Hobby, it gets no modifier to that.

Okay, uh, that's enough about the interplanetary ruler ultra-rich space navy captain khan pope with psychic charm pheremones. Let's get back to the superhuman psychic cyborg ultra-wealthy noble khan's daughter who has a self-aware space tank for a companion and was raised by wormhole aliens for three years.

Well, next is Table 208: Significant Events of Childhood and Adolescence. First, I roll 1d3 -> 2 for 2 significant events during childhood (ages 1 to 12), then 1d3 -> 3 for 3 significant events during adolescence (13 to 18). For each of these events, I roll on a big table with SolMod as a modifier.

Table 208: Events: 1d20+15 -> 16. 1d3 -> 1 more Significant Events occur. :hurr: Yes, it's a reroll option that doesn't even guarantee actually adding another event.

Table 208: Events: 1d20+15 -> 24. A special age-specific event occurs at age 1d12 -> 11, for which I go over to...
Table 209A: Special Events of Childhood: 1d20 -> 11 means that the character becomes well-known for some event during her life, which is indicated by rerolling.
Table 312A: Personality Trait Check: 1d100 -> 97 means that the fame made her develop an Exotic Personality Feature.
Table 644A: Exotic Feature Categories: 1d20 -> 11 means it is a Behavior Tag.
Table 644E: Behavior Tags: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 27 means that it left her Bloodthirsty, a Darkside trait.
Table 209A: Special Events of Childhood: 1d20 -> 19 means the event was one that would normally affect an adolescent, so I roll on...
Table 209B: Special Events of Adolescence: 1d20 -> 9. While on a school trip to her planet's capitol city, the character has an unusual encounter, for which I roll on...
Table 524: Group Encounters: 1d6 -> 5.

:(: And that has a Darkside effect on her.

Table 542B: Other Events: 1d20 -> 18. "The deceased was declared legally dead after having disappeared years ago, but may actually be alive." Wait, what? Is this going to be one of those things where the childhood friend reappears some day as RoboCop?

Table 208: Events: 1d20+15 -> 10. At age 1d12 -> 10, the character develops jaded tastes for exotic and possibly expensive pleasures. This counts as a Darkside trait, and reinforces my view of this character as Space Messiah Kwizatz Haderach Cher.

Table 208: Events: 1d20+15 -> 20. Roll again! But this time with just a +2 instead of adding SolMod.
Table 208: Events: 1d20+2 -> 6. At age 12, the character has a misadventure on another planet, for which I roll on...
Table 312A: Personality Trait Check: 1d100 -> 71 tells me the event has a Lightside effect on her, for which I roll on...
Table 643A: Lightside Traits: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 33 means she is Wise, and "understands what is right, true, or lasting".
Table 522A: Other Worlds: 2d8 -> 14 tells me it's an artificial world (ringworld, Dyson sphere, etc), and...
Table 522B: Reason for Being Here: 1d10 -> 4 tells me that it was a religious pilgrimage, and...
Table 522C: Otherworld Events: 2d8 -> 15.

I need an image of that HA HA guy with an "all the loot!" caption.

So, now, I need to go roll on even more tables. I roll 1d4 -> 4 for the number of "Gifts and Legacies" she recovers.

Table 855: Techno-Wonders: 1d20 -> 3 gives a result of Battle Armor, which "protects against damage and the vacuum of space, enhances physical abilities, and provides several types of weaponry". It goes nicely with the self-aware space tank she already has! :hurr:

Table 854: Gifts and Legacies: 1d20 -> 12 gives an old but functional space ship. Now, remember this is a The Final Frontier future, so a 1d6 -> 6 tells me that, in fact, it's actually up to modern standards instead of outdated. The details are rolled on...
Table 866A: Ship Type: 1d20 -> 17 says that it's a Destroyer, a "small but well-armed military ship".
Table 866B: Space Capabilities: 1d20 -> 10 says that it's a short range interstellar ship, which can "travel to nearby stars only".
Table 866C: Armament: 1d20 -> 16 says that it's a well-armed ship, with "fair offensive strike capability".
Table 866D: Special Features: 1d20 -> 14 says that it has "special defenses", which are "one step better than those found on similar ships".
Table 866E: Liabilities: 1d20 -> 14 means that the ship is "very old, possibly dating back to the beginning of star travel".

Table 854: Gifts and Legacies: 1d20 -> 3 gives an Unusual Pet, with details rolled on...
Table 751A: Special Pet Types: 1d20 -> 20 means that it's an alien creature, which is reminiscent of 1d20 -> 16 a mini-dragon. Wait, what? Why the hell is that even on this table? 1d3 -> 3 means it has three special abilities.

Table 751B: Special Pet Abilities: 1d20 -> 7. The alien mini-dragon has 1d4 -> 2 psionic powers. Of course it does. What else would it have?
Table 862: 1d20 -> 13. The first psychic power is ESP.

Table 862: 1d20 -> 2. The second psychic power is psychometry.

Table 751B: Special Pet Abilities: 1d20 -> 6. The alien mini-dragon has the ability to "slip between alternate universes (or dimensions)".

Table 751B: Special Pet Abilities: 1d20 -> 3. The alien mini-dragon is telepathic and can communicate by mental speech.

Table 854: Gifts and Legacies: 1d20 -> 1 gives a weapon, and 1d10 -> 7 says that it's an energy sword. How... appropriate.

And, since there's a spaceship by the time I get to it, I'll roll on...
Table 866D: Special Features: 1d20 -> 8 means there's a Techno-Wonder installed in the ship. For which one I roll on...
Table 855: Techno-Wonders: 1d20 -> 1. Time machine.

Time machine.

This ancient (yet up to modern standards) ship has a time machine installed in it.

I don't even know. Christ. Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? This train has no brakes. The character isn't even rolled up to adulthood yet!

Well, if I'm ever going to finish this, I have to get back to Table 208: Significant Events of Childhood and Adolescence for the events that happen during adolescence. Now I'm rolling three more times for events that happened ages 13 to 18.

Table 208: Events: 1d20+15 -> 20. This is the same as before, rolling again but only at +2.
Table 208: Events: 1d20+2 -> 4. At age 1d6+12 -> 13, the "character's friends involve [her] in illegal activities." This counts as a Darkside trait! Now I roll on...
Table 529A: The Wrong Path: 1d20+2 -> 7. The character got involved because she wanted "a lifestyle filled with dangerous thrills and excitement." During her time in the underworld, 1d3 -> 3 notable events happened.
Table 529B: The Wrong Path: 1d6 -> 5. While involved in the underworld, she was a pirate! This happened on someone else's ship, not her ancient alien time travel destroyer - I'm going to assume she wanted experience with a skilled crew. 1d3 -> 3 indicates 2 piracy events. For that I roll on...
Table 529D: Piracy: 1d10 -> 10. "The character becomes one of the pirate captain's officers, and learns the location of many rival pirates' strongholds."
Table 529D: Piracy: 1d10 -> 3. The character gains 1d4+1 -> 4 Ranks in operating a space ship.
Table 529D: Piracy: 1d10 -> 6. An "old pirate" teaches the character +2 ranks in energy blade use (how convenient!).
Table 529C: Underworld Events: 1d20 -> 11. Also during that time in the underworld, the character develops extensive contacts, "including thieves, informants, smugglers, thugs, fences, and spies". So long as they're not turned in, they "remain friendly and can even serve as allies in 'legal' activities".
Table 529C: Underworld Events: 1d20 -> 3. The character is severely wounded in a fight, detailed by...
Table 860: Serious Wounds: 1d20 -> 1 indicates that she gained an impressive facial scar. A 1d100 -> 20 indicates this gives +1 point of Charisma.
Table 529C: Underworld Events: 1d20 -> 20. The character becomes the pirate captain. I guess before giving up the title of pirate captain when she leaves the underworld. :v:

Table 208: Events: 1d20+15 -> 30. The second event, at age 1d6+12 -> 15, is an extravagant birthday party thrown by her family, which "everyone who is anyone" attends. There's one gift given without any indication of who it came from. It's detailed by...
Table 854: Gifts and Legacies: 1d20 -> 14. A deed to a property, which is... 1d20 -> 14 an old military base.
Table 312A: Personality Trait Check: 1d100 -> 73 means the incident had a Lightside effect on her.
Table 643A: Lightside Traits: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 33 means she is Enthuasiatic, and "excited, can't wait to act".

Table 208: Events: 1d20+15 -> At age 1d6+12 -> 14, something good happens to the character. This counts as a Lightside trait. It is 1d4 -> 3 Something Wonderful, which is detailed by...
Table 521: Something Wonderful...: 1d20 -> 4. "While repairing the family home, the character discovers a magical item." Yes, it just straight-up says magical. Somebody wasn't paying attention when copy-pasting. :v: For details, I roll again on...
Table 854: Gifts and Legacies: 1d20 -> 6. "An archaic device that functions like a technological wonder", rolled on...
Table 855: Techno-Wonders: 1d20 -> 18. A hand-held energy weapon that is "more powerful and possibly even more deadly to the user and his target than any similar device known".

Done? No, not yet! Next, there's still more tables to roll on. Almost there! Almost! Next is Education, with a roll modified by both SolMod and CuMod.

Table 210: Education: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1)+15+8 -> 42. The character had an Outstanding Education. This gives 5d6 -> 20 more Education Points, plus two occupation rolls, rerolling results of 5 or less.
Table 413A: Occupation Selection: 1d10+15 -> 18. This gives a roll on another table.
Table 413E: Occupation Table IV: 1d20 -> 19. Mage. "A wielder of magical force." So now she's a wizard psychic. Mage skills have a cost multiplier of 1d3 -> 2 when spending Education Points.
Table 413A: Occupation Selection: 1d10+15 -> 24. This gives a roll on another table.
Table 413D: Occupation Table III: 1d20 -> 10. Diplomat or Negotiator. That's, uh, this thing really wants this character to be a super Mary Sue Jedi, doesn't it? Negotiator skills have a cost multiplier of 3 when spending Education Points.

If you've been keeping track, by now the character has 67 Education Points. It's time to spend them! I put 2+4+8+16 points into Mage and 3+6+12+16 into Negotiator. Now both have 4 ranks, and I have 0 points left.

Now I make a single roll on Table 211: Significant Events of Adulthood, for an event that happens while just entering adulthood.

Table 211: Events: (1d4*10)+(1d10-1) -> 35. The character has a romantic encounter. 1d3 -> 2 events happen during the romantic relationship, which is still ongoing in adulthood.
Table 312A: Personality Trait Check: 1d100 -> 23 means it has no obvious affect on her personality.
Table 538A: The Beloved: 1d20 -> 9. The beloved's age is much 1d6 -> 2... younger than the character. :v:
Table 538A: The Beloved: 1d20 -> 10. The beloved is a member of a different race. This is detailed on...
Table 748: Aliens: (1d4*10)+1d4 -> 13. Bestial. "A 'humanized' version of a common animal, such as wolf-like, cat-like, or ape-like beings."
Table 538B: Romantic Events: 1d20 -> 1. The character marries the beloved.
Table 538B: Romantic Events: 1d20 -> 15. "The character rescues [her] beloved from certain doom. Create an imaginative near-doom scenario."

So, uh, that happened, I guess.

Now all the random rolling is done, it's time to compile everything together! To keep in the spirit of things, I use a random Mongolian name generator.

quote:

Name: Mönkhtsetseg
Sex: Female
Future History: The Final Frontier

Future History Modifier (FutMod): +10
Tech Level Modifier (TekMod): +14
Culture Modifier (CuMod): +8
Social Level Modifier (SolMod): +15
Birth Modifier (BiMod): +50
Title Modifier (TiMod): +20

Race: Human
Tech Level: 14, Third Stellar Age / Mixed
Education Points: 0
Culture: Decadent
Social Status: Noble, Extremely Wealthy
Literacy Chance: 175%
Nobility Title: daughter of a Khan

Legitimate Birth?: Yes
Family?: Father
Siblings: 3 siblings
Birth Order: First

Home World: Colony on an artificial world
Place of Birth: Born within the gravitation effects of a black hole in another dimension (was transported home 3 years later)

Unusual Birth: Bestowed a gift by a mysterious stranger; a great-grandparent died the day of her birth; she was born with serious physical afflictions that were replaced by bionic parts; she was born immediately after a tragedy where the character's home was destroyed along with all personal belongings; she was born with psionic powers under mysterious circumstances.

Notes about Parents: Her father is unusually muscular. He inherited the title of Khan and, before she was born, had conquered a planet. Sometime after she was born, her mother, who was part of her father's army, died while he was trying to conquer more planets. After that he drove the war to a close in 6 months. He has an unusual ability that causes anyone who comes into contact with him to trust him like a best friend. He is an Average (Rank 3) military combatant and strategist and a Fairly Competent (Rank 4) roleplaying gamer. He is also the religious leader of his Khanate.

Notes & Events:
• At birth, Mönkhtsetseg: was gifted a self-aware war machine resembling a tank as a companion by a mysterious stranger; received a lifelike bionic partial brain that enhances any skills or attributes that may be affected by it by 9 points; received a lifelike bionic heart that enhances any skills or attributes that may be affected by it by 2 points; received obviously artificial bionic eyes; gained psychic powers under mysterious circumstances: Clairvoyance III (Rank 1), Mind Block (Rank 3), Persuasion (Rank 1), Psychic Healing (Rank 1), Telekinesis (Rank 1), and Teleportation (Rank 1).
• At age 10, Mönkhtsetseg developed jaded tastes for exotic and possibly expensive pleasures. [D]
• At age 11, while on a school trip to her planet's capitol city, Mönkhtsetseg and a friend were accosted by a group of young punks. She drove them off, but not before her friend was fatally injured. She became well-known for this event, and the fame left her Bloodthirsty. The deceased was declared legally dead, but may actually be alive. [D]
• At age 12, Mönkhtsetseg had a misadventure during her family's pilgrimage to another artificial world. She discovered a spaceship that became hers by right of discovery. It was an ancient but up-to-modern-standards destroyer, short range interstellar, well-armed, with special defenses and a time machine installed. Onboard, she found battle armor, a pet alien mini-dragon with the psychic powers ESP (Rank 1) and Psychometry (Rank 1), and an energy sword. The entire incident made her Wise.
• At age 13, Mönkhtsetseg's friends involved her in illegal piracy. While she was a pirate: she gained 4 Ranks in Spaceship Operation; she was taught 2 Ranks in Energy Blades by an old pirate; she was involved in a fight where she gained an impressive facial scar; she became one of the pirate captain's officers, learning the location of many rival pirates' strongholds; she developed extensive contacts, including thieves, informants, smugglers, thugs, fences, and spies; and she became the new pirate captain. [D]
• At age 14, while repairing the family home, Mönkhtsetseg discovered a magical item. It was an archaic hand-held energy weapon that was more powerful and possibly even more deadly to the user and her target than any similar device known. [L]
• At age 15, at an extravagant birthday party thrown for Mönkhtsetseg by her family that everyone who was anyone attended, a gift was left for her without any sign of who left it. It was a deed to an old military base. The experience left her Enthusiastic.
• As she approached adulthood, Mönkhtsetseg received an exceptional education as a Mage (Rank 4) and as a Negotiator (Rank 4).
• At age 18, Mönkhtsetseg entered a romantic relationship with a Bestial alien much younger than her. At some point she rescued him from near-certain doom, then married him.

Skills:
Fairly Competent Energy Blades (Rank 4) (base 2, heart +2)
Legendary Literacy (Rank 10) (base 1, brain +9)
Mythical+ Spaceship Operation (Rank 13) (base 4, brain +9)
Mythical+ Survival (Wilderness) (Rank 12) (base 1, brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Survival (Rural) (Rank 12) (base 1, brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Survival (Urban) (Rank 15) (base 4, brain +9, heart +2)

Mythical+ Clairvoyance III (Rank 12) (base 1; brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Mind Block (Rank 14) (base 3; brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Mind Control (Rank 12) (base 0; Persuasion +1, brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Persuasion (Rank 12) (base 1; brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Psychic Healing (Rank 12) (base 1; brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Telekinesis (Rank 12) (base 1; brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Teleportation (Rank 12) (base 1; brain +9, heart +2)

Occupations:
Mythical+ Mage (Rank 15) (base 4; brain +9, heart +2)
Mythical+ Negotiator (Rank 13) (base 4; brain +9)

Personality:
Bloodthirsty [D]
Egoist [D]
Enthusiastic [L]
Pet Lover [L]
Thoughtless [D]
Xenophiliac
Wise [L]

Alignment: Neutral
Attitude: Egalitarian

Companions:
• Self-aware war machine tank companion
• Ancient alien mini-dragon pet with the psychic powers ESP (Rank 1) and Psychometry (Rank 1)
• Young alien (Bestial) husband

Bionics:
• Lifelike superhuman partial brain (+9 Ranks to related skills)
• Lifelike extraordinary heart (+2 Ranks to related skills)
• Obvious machine eyes

Gear:
• Ancient destroyer, short range interstellar, well-armed, with special defenses and a time machine
• Ancient magic starbreaker pistol
• Ancient battle armor
• Ancient energy sword
• Extremely Wealthy spending money (x20 starting wealth)

Other Resources:
• Extensive criminal contacts
• Previous pirate crew
• Widespread fame on home world

The one thing I can't decide on is what the exception in tech level is. Psychic crystal FTL drives? A preponderance of melee weapons? Other weird stuff? Any ideas?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 17, 2014

• Locked thread