Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

If theres one scene in ET that scared me its the part where Elliot looks for him in the forest at night and theres that high pitch scream he makes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Green Jacket posted:

Huh, I'm surprised with all these mentions of ET nobody mentioned the part towards the end where he's dying and all white. I could get through the rest of the movie just fine as a kid, but gently caress that part.

That was the worst. I was terrified that awful white ET would get in the house somehow. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and he'd be there in the doorway with a knife and just come running with that awful scream.

ebilflindas
Sep 16, 2013

As a kid I used to spend summers up in Montauk. Every so often we'd pass by a tiny motel called Ronjo. They had this big tiki statue that scared the poo poo out of me. It's still kind of creepy.

ebilflindas has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Feb 25, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Holy poo poo this thread is reminding me of so much stuff that creeped me out as a kid. ET especially. I was 15 before I drummed up the courage to watch that drat movie again.

There were a few songs from my childhood that I always felt horribly uncomfortable listening to. I don't know if they're correlated to some sort of repressed horrible memories, but even now that I'm 32 I still get the total creeps hearing them. Like my stomach drops and I just kind of stare blankly into space with the most awful feeling inside. As long as I can remember, these songs have had that effect on me:

Harvest Moon by Neil Young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2MtEsrcTTs

Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTFVMMCwsss

American Dream by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABfsIInfXgU

Yep, listening to them again now to make this post, I still don't feel right inside. Night is ruined. :smith:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I have absolutely no idea why ET was billed as a kid's movie. It's creepy as gently caress, and being freaked out by it is a totally reasonable reaction.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
When I was a kid, I was absolutely convinced that the scenes from the Tales from the Darkside intro were all filmed around where I lived, and it freaked me the hell out. The show itself never bothered me. Even as a kid I thought it was silly and cheesy, but man, that goddamned intro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xKZs_ApkSk

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remember as a toddler being terrified of the classic Disney cartoon The Old Mill—specifically by this bit. Yeah. Not by the cute animals in peril or anything to do with the storm itself (and I was terrified of storms!), but the image of a hollow tree. I don't understand it either.

The castle music from the original Super Mario Bros was the most terrifying thing when I was 5-6 years old. I think it was a combination of the creepiness of the music, the creepiness of the castle stages, and that the bass was at just the right frequency that it made our crappy TV rattle. I remember one time some relative was visiting and playing Nintendo and he didn't know about the Warp Zone in 1-2, and I was so upset at the thought of having to hear the castle music that I hid in my bedroom and puked.

I also had the whole fear of the dark thing, where the shadows in the corners of my room seemed they were shifting or moving toward me. But being a very rational 5-year old, I didn't think they were ghosts. They were burglars.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Feb 25, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Rollersnake posted:

classic Disney cartoon

How about Little Toot after the child boat is chained by the neck and sent into exile. loving terrifying poo poo for kids.

http://www.cornel1801.com/disney/Melody-Time-1948/film4.html

"Try. Try. Try. Try. Do or die do or die do or die do or die!"

I also remember being horrified by the entire TV special called "Down and Out with Donald Duck". Especially the end. Holy gently caress I had nightmares for years thanks to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIaqzSMwagI

Starting at 5:20 is the most horrific thing I've ever witnessed. His head turning into a red-hot kettle scared me more than anything in my life.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDKB7aYW8w

My deepest irrational childhood fear was definitely the terror I had of this weird goddamn thing that was on a Rupert the Bear VHS I had as a kid. Weirder still: I couldn't drag myself away from watching it and I sat through it every single time. The last minute in particular always made me wig out really badly.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The noise these monsters on ninja turtles made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BirwVWsh-zc&t=543s
I still think it sounds pretty creepy.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Jesus loving christ :stonk:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ebilflindas posted:

As a kid I used to spend summers up in Montauk. Every so often we'd pass by a tiny motel called Ronjo. They had this big tiki statue that scared the poo poo out of me. It's still kind of creepy.

Dude, it's still there last I checked! I saw that picture and did a double-take because I know it so well!

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
Clowns in generally weren't a problem for me. I wasn't enthused by them, either, but..

One particular clown, however, gave me the god drat screaming horrors.

His name was Bimbo The Birthday Clown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moVmHzcawvw

The entire scene. Him, his motions, the voice, those goddamn teeny bouncing clowns on strings..

FIX SIGNS has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Feb 25, 2014

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
These posters really disturbed me back in the day, I was dead scared about rabies.

I think the poster design is kind of awesome now, but when I was 6-7 it really messed with me.

I also remember a scene in the Yellow Submarine, the part where they are going around trying to get the Beatles together, and there's a bit where Frankenstein turns into John Lennon and it really, really used to scare me. That whole film has a weird vibe to it, now I think of it.

Another creepy, amazing film I was terrified of - Return to Oz. Here is the (very LYING) trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipivUGVydMY

I have this on DVD and every time I've lent it to someone they hand it back with a sort of WTF WAS THAT response. The whole film seems to be on Youtube.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Chalk me up for weird bathroom terrors and permanent trauma from the Scary Stories illustrations. I wasn't even bothered by the stories; those pictures haunt me for life, though.

For like years, as a kid, I was convinced that a malevolent being inhabited my bathroom. I don't know where I got this idea, or why, but I was super convinced that this evil, murderous spirit lurked in the unseen parts of the bathroom, like the cabinets and pipes and stuff, and would loving kill me if I didn't afford it various courtesies. Super weird poo poo, which makes me think I might have had some weird kind of temporary OCD back then; like, that bathroom spirit had rules that I implicitly knew. I wasn't allowed to flush the toilet right before taking a shower, but I also had to announce out loud that I was going to flush it afterwards, to avoid this thing's ire.

And I knew that if I ever slipped up and didn't follow the bathroom's cosmic edicts, the thing would come out from under the sink, all made of mildew and hair clogs, and he would look just like this motherfucker:

One time I had a nightmare where he came out of the shower-head, too :iamafag:

As a grown-rear end adult, I can't deal with mirrors in dark rooms. I used to live in a place with mirrors fuckin everywhere, and I would scurry around the halls at night trying not to make eye contact with them. I don't know what I expect to see, but they freak me out :shobon:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Stuff like the illustrations from Scary Stories didn't really scare me, exactly, but I really disliked touching the pages that had them. I remember another book that had a photo of a mummy on the front and I didn't like touching that either, although I loved reading the book itself.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Maybe not a fear, but I had an irrational dislike of rubber bands. Rubber felt somehow wrong to me. Most of the rubber bands I saw were wrapped around our morning newspaper, and they were usually filthy, which probably added to my issue.

A lot of my irrational problems with things as a kid were tactile. I didn't like things that felt gross to me.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Snaguaro posted:

Jesus loving christ :stonk:

Mr. Blobby was hilarious at the time. For people who don't know him, unlike what you might think he wasn't actually a character in a children's show.

He was an annoying pink cock in a candid camera type segment on a Saturday night entertainment show where he tried to get on the nerves of people who thought they actually were in a children's show with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I06fRQlJGwQ

Spaghetti magically turning into worms while I was eating it was my number one childhood fear. Although I can't remember where I got that idea from. Maybe it was in one of the Beetlejuice movies or cartoons or something.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
When I was really little I had fever dreams about shapes like lego bricks moving around in a white void, only they were all wrong, too big or too small - it's really hard to explain. It messed me up something terrible. Twenty years on I still get uncomfortable with things that are too big suddenly, like text that increases in size without warning (Animal Crossing does it all the time when you catch a rare fish or when a villager yells at you and it's really weird to be a bit freaked out when playing such a sweet game), and especially when it's dark things will start to look like they're really small or really far away and it gives me the loving creeps.

My little brother was terrified of The Groke from the Moomins and honestly I don't know why I wasn't. Check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-RYNPETws

Gets creepy at 4 minutes.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Test Card F, developed by the BBC in the 60s and used around the world. The girl in the picture, Carol Hersee, has the dubious honour of having racked up the most screen time of anyone alive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Card_F

This was on the telly a lot when I was a child here in the UK - early mornings, at closedown, and sometimes, when I was very small, when TV used to close down during the afternoons. It was accompanied by either library music or a shrill test tone. Everything in the image is used for something relating to testing the quality of a broadcast image.

I know these things. It's a brilliant piece of engineering tech, and, on the face of it, a very boring image.

It's still terrifying. I have trouble looking at it to this day - it still gives me that sense of panicked, creeping horror and dread you get when you think you're not alone even though you should be. Real hairs on the back of the neck, oh-god-might-cry stuff. I honestly don't think I could be in the same room with it on a television.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

eating only apples posted:

When I was really little I had fever dreams about shapes like lego bricks moving around in a white void, only they were all wrong, too big or too small - it's really hard to explain. It messed me up something terrible. Twenty years on I still get uncomfortable with things that are too big suddenly, like text that increases in size without warning (Animal Crossing does it all the time when you catch a rare fish or when a villager yells at you and it's really weird to be a bit freaked out when playing such a sweet game), and especially when it's dark things will start to look like they're really small or really far away and it gives me the loving creeps.

My little brother was terrified of The Groke from the Moomins and honestly I don't know why I wasn't. Check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-RYNPETws

Gets creepy at 4 minutes.

I get annoyed when inertial scrolling on a track pad ruins my zoom as I ctrl + tab to swap browser tabs. Does this happen to you?

brokowski
May 13, 2013
It was halloween. I don't know how old I was but i was terrified of leaving the house because I had seen footage of political unrest/violence in south america and I was afraid of bullets travelling all the way from s. america to northern california. I was pretty dumb.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

itsnice2bnice posted:

Spaghetti magically turning into worms while I was eating it was my number one childhood fear. Although I can't remember where I got that idea from. Maybe it was in one of the Beetlejuice movies or cartoons or something.

This unlodged some forgotten, hidden-away memories for me. I had the same thing; sometimes I had to actively inspect at the food on my fork. So, so strange.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
Pipes. Plumbing. I was in a sweaty panic when I went and got these pictures to show what I mean. And I'm 50 now.

http://imgur.com/l5gOzqE

http://imgur.com/PN7XkAu

I DO NOT go into basements, I cringe around water heaters, and I won't reach my hand under the kitchen sink without having a flashlight in the other. Hell, I can't even use public toilets that have just the pipe instead of the tank. I have no idea where this phobia came from, but it's been with me for as long as I can remember.

Edited to add: i have no idea why images aren't showing up for me, so I removed the img tag and just made them links...

ThatGirlAtThatShow has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Feb 26, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I'm convinced Stephen Gammel literally came from Silent hill with these drawings, all of them are creepy.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I remember another one now. When I was really little, I thought Shredder from Ninja Turtles would be able to reach up through the toilet and cut me up. I was terrified to transition from the potty to a real toilet.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

itsnice2bnice posted:

The Lost Boys. I couldn't eat lo mein or white rice for quite a while without having to inspect it before putting it in my mouth. Even now, I'll be eating lo mein and suddenly I'll remember the carton of worms and freak myself out for a split second.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Hummingbirds posted:

Stuff like the illustrations from Scary Stories didn't really scare me, exactly, but I really disliked touching the pages that had them. I remember another book that had a photo of a mummy on the front and I didn't like touching that either, although I loved reading the book itself.

You triggered a memory for me: around eight years old or so I disliked a couple of Shel Silverstein illustrations from 'A Light in the Attic' and would skip the pages where they appeared. One was a living severed head on a platter, the other was the 'Skin Stealer,' the art disturbed me in a way I couldn't handle at the time. Looking back on the Skin Stealer it's kooky and adorable - I just leaned the monster is called the 'Coo-coo'!

I enjoy learning about all the people terrified of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark because that was my favorite book when I was five. I'll never forget being told it was my turn to check it out from the school library since you had to go on a months-long waiting list, it was that popular.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

loving nth agreement for Scary Stories. I devoured those books as a kid. I loved the stories (the one about the scarecrow Harold has always stayed with me) but gently caress those drawings. gently caress them right up there pen and ink rear end.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

They made all-new (and very toned down) illustrations for the Scary Stories series a few years ago and people hated it. Those illustrations scare the poo poo out of you (I possessed the same aversion to touching the page with the picture of The Haunt), but it's also fun to pass the terror down through generations. I'd really love to see the techniques behind giving them that creepy, spidery, disgustingly organic feel.

Content: I was fascinated by mummies when I was little and owned a lot of books that featured giant, full-color pictures of the unwrapped bodies. For a while I was absolutely certain that every time I lifted the lid of the toilet, one of those dessicated bodies would rise out and just loom there being all intimidating and dead.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Test Card F, developed by the BBC in the 60s and used around the world. The girl in the picture, Carol Hersee, has the dubious honour of having racked up the most screen time of anyone alive:

This was on the telly a lot when I was a child here in the UK - early mornings, at closedown, and sometimes, when I was very small, when TV used to close down during the afternoons. It was accompanied by either library music or a shrill test tone. Everything in the image is used for something relating to testing the quality of a broadcast image.

I know these things. It's a brilliant piece of engineering tech, and, on the face of it, a very boring image.

It's still terrifying. I have trouble looking at it to this day - it still gives me that sense of panicked, creeping horror and dread you get when you think you're not alone even though you should be. Real hairs on the back of the neck, oh-god-might-cry stuff. I honestly don't think I could be in the same room with it on a television.

The 404 page on the BBC website features the clown thing from the test card. It'll never die.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

no_shit_columbo posted:

I get annoyed when inertial scrolling on a track pad ruins my zoom as I ctrl + tab to swap browser tabs. Does this happen to you?

I don't think that has ever really happened and somehow I feel like it wouldn't bother me? Something about the amount of text suddenly changing size, I think. Also it going smaller doesn't make me nearly as uncomfortable as it going bigger. :confused:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Have you seen Life on Mars?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Making Contact

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I had two really weird fears that were both linked to very specific places and were never an issue anywhere else.

My mum worked nights so I stayed at my gran's a lot, and from the hallway leading from the guest room you can't see the stairs until you actually reach them. I was always terrified the lobster-clawed mutant from This Island Earth was waiting there to get me.

The other was the bathroom at my house, whenever I opened the door to leave it I was always terrified that Optimus Prime would be standing in the doorway. Not the heroic leader of the autobots Optimus Prime, no, it was the creepy dead one from the episode where the autobots explored a giant space mausoleum full of dead transformers.

Pictured: Scary stuff if you're a dumb kid

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
I was kind of a weird kid because I loved scary things. Like, my favourite toy was a Halloween decoration and Goosebumps was my jam. Except then I had a bunch of really random freakouts about innocuous things.

Toilets. Specifically public toilets. Specifically because I somehow became convinced that if I flushed them, they'd never stop flushing and end up overflowing and flooding the entire bathroom and then everyone would hate me forever.

Rare fatal diseases. I blame this on my mom, who is basically what would happen if one of those lovely self-diagnosis sites gained sentience, but every time I got the slightest bit sick it was never just a cold. I remember one night I had a freakout because I was 100% convinced I'd somehow contracted SARS :tinfoil:

The inevitability of death. I was like, 8. This and the previous entry did not do well together.

I also had this weird habit of being traumatized by something in a movie and then obsessively watching that part over and over. Like this waking nightmare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wR8FL_2gwI

Ocarina of Time (Gohma, the Stalfos, and that goddamn boulder maze), Metroid Fusion (Samus X) and Pikmin 2 (the water wraiths) also have the honor of being the only video games to actually traumatize me. I used to watch my friend's dad play Doom for hours, but make me face a water wraith and I was done.

Then there was my adorable giant talking Barney toy, who began emitting horrific Satanic noises when its battery started to die... completely at random.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I saw Jumangi when I was pretty young, and for weeks I was afraid that Lions would come storming out of the closet and eat me. :ohdear:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

I saw Jumangi when I was pretty young, and for weeks I was afraid that Lions would come storming out of the closet and eat me. :ohdear:

You were afraid of the lions and not the giant rear end scary spiders near the end of it? :gonk:

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

I used to have this thing where if I knew someone was going to die, in a computer game or movie or something, that vague 'bad things' might happen - specifically if I was touching the floor or rug with my feet. Cue me holding my feet over a rug because of some long-established habit, waiting for my guy to actually get killed by falling off a cliff. I guess I never really thought about it that much.

Also, one time I had this dream that stuck with me, even today. In it, I was in a massive, impossibly massive chamber. I couldn't see the walls (or much of the floor; it was pitch black), but there was a sense of oppressive pitch-blackness, and I remember that I called out or said something in the dream, but there was no echo, and I somehow knew using retard-rear end dream logic, that this place was at least the size of a planet, if not a galaxy. I ran for some time and never found any landmarks, at least none that I can remember. I can still kinda feel the feeling of complete triviality and utter insignificance I felt when I woke up. No poo poo, I remember crying on a stairwell because it felt like nothing I would do, or could do, would ever matter. And, like, what would happen if (when, my mind calmly and hurtfully asserted) I died? Would I spend eternity in Heaven or Hell, eventually getting bored of Heaven's endless luxuries? Had I chosen the wrong God(s) to worship and inadvertantly damned myself to Hell for eternity? Could I eventually get bored of even that? Would there even be an afterlife for me? The thought of my consciousness simply ending, forever, seemed (seems) like the worst thing imaginable... and so on, and so on.

It took a while for me to feel good enough about myself to close my eyes and sleep, and even then, I had little panic attacks, like what if I choked on my tongue, or some inconsequential thing caused me to die in my sleep. Eventually I was able to suppress those trains of thought. Eventually.

I'm sure there's more I'm not aware of right now, but I don't feel like spending an hour writing this post, which incidentally seems to have swelled to 3 times its original size while I wasn't looking. I should learn to get to the drat point. Anyway, have fun with your toilet ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had a fear of dogs for a very long time. Becoming best friends with a kid with a schnauzer helped a lot, but not completely. I never had a problem looking at them or anything, but unleashed dogs scared me, and if they ran up to me, forget it. The little, energetic ones make me more nervous than the bigger ones.
My Mom has a story of some animal guy doing a demonstration at a pet store or something. I was first to pet some python that probably could have eaten me, but I ran away in terror when they brought out some puppies

Each of the three Star Wars movies had something I had to look away from. The Dianoga's eye in the trash compactor in A New Hope, the Mynok in the space slug's stomach in Empire, and the part where the Sarlacc burps in Return of the Jedi. I was fine with the Sarlacc for 99% of its screen time, but the way it burped squicked me out. And it was just the eye of the Dianoga that freaked me out. I'd try to look away until it was gone, and then I'd be fine with watching Luke fight against its tentacle.

The idea of the end of the world. I watched some special on Discovery or TLC about outer space which was cool, right up until it introduced me to the concepts of the Sun swallowing the Earth at the end of its life, the Big Crunch and heat death. Nooope.
Any cartoon with reference to some planet somewhere being destroyed, or a couple Ghostbusters episodes about someone trying to start the end of the world made me uneasy. Even Superman's origin story freaked me out a bit.

Some bump they had in the theaters in the 90s was a woman loudly shushing while the camera zoomed in on her face. I had to cover my eyes for that.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Feb 27, 2014

• Locked thread