Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I finished this and I left not knowing if I liked it or not. Now here I am an hour a later and I'm still just sitting here thinking about it. I think I really liked it.

Edit:

Wait, are you joking or do you actually think the spiders are real and taking over the world in this movie?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I've heard that theory from numerous people and even an article and I can't figure out if they're loving around. Not to poo poo on their analysis or anything like that but it just seems...out there.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I watched it with a roomful of people and we all eventually came to the conclusion that this was what made the most sense and was more coherent based on that very first frame about chaos being undeciphered order. Honestly I think it's brilliant to have a Invasion of the Body Snatchers-type movie where the audience and main character only realize at the very last second that it's what is happening and its too late to do anything about it.

I've read around a little since that post and I've seen other writers go even more in-depth on that theory, pointing out that (book semi-spoilers) that the author of the book, while not making it a direct parable to Totalitarianism, himself lived in a dictatorship until the age of like 50 and has often written about what it's like to live under an actual totalitarian regime and often compared it with being ruled by spiders/totalitarian regimes acting like spiders.

Honestly I don't think it's anymore out there than Adam and Anthony being the same person living two different lives and/or all of it happening in his subconscious and the movie is actually riddled with clue to back the theory I posted, a whole lot more than the other theory anyway.

Edit: Also NESGuerilla I think you want to spoiler that last line. It's best to go in completely blind.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 29, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Twee as gently caress posted:

I watched it with a roomful of people and we all eventually came to the conclusion that this was what made the most sense and was more coherent based on that very first frame about chaos being undeciphered order. Honestly I think it's brilliant to have a Invasion of the Body Snatchers-type movie where the audience and main character only realize at the very last second that it's what is happening and its too late to do anything about it.

I've read around a little since that post and I've seen other writers go even more in-depth on that theory, pointing out that (book semi-spoilers) that the author of the book, while not making it a direct parable to Totalitarianism, himself lived in a dictatorship until the age of like 50 and has often written about what it's like to live under an actual totalitarian regime and often compared it with being ruled by spiders/totalitarian regimes acting like spiders.

Honestly I don't think it's anymore out there than Adam and Anthony being the same person living two different lives and/or all of it happening in his subconscious and the movie is actually riddled with clue to back the theory I posted, a whole lot more than the other theory anyway.

Edit: Also NESGuerilla I think you want to spoiler that last line. It's best to go in completely blind.

So yeah... this was a pretty lovely movie that made me want an hour and a half of my life back. At least, it was.

Thank you Twee as gently caress. You are a Giant among goons, and it is only through your crazy yet plausible read on this movie that I am only annoyed at the boredom I endured rather than angered.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I loved it and it was probably the best ending I could have ever of hoped for.

Mr Gnang
Jan 28, 2009

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's a much more plausible analysis than the Slate one. This video is pretty much a way more in depth version of what I took out of the movie, and no there are no real spiders. It's a movie about one man leaving his mistress to try and make it work with his wife, but he will inevitably fail because he is kind of a piece of poo poo. The whole movie takes place in the mans subconscious (this has been said repeatedly by the director) Nothing in this movie is "real" in the sense that they are an accurate portrayal of the events that are occurring in his actual life. The whole movie is about grappling with infidelity and fear of commitment and it's played out in a really surrealist way. Just like pretty much everything else in the movie the spiders are symbolic. They represent his relationship with women

I'd challenge anyone with the body snatchers theory to watch this whole thing and still maintain their take on the Enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AWkqRwd1I

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 30, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ewar Woowar posted:

I loved it and it was probably the best ending I could have ever of hoped for.

That ending shot, and the shot of the spider in the city are the most freakest shots I've seen in a while. Mostly because in the spider-city shot, I thought I was looking at a building which kinda looked like a giant spider...and then it was. gently caress. That gave me the willies. And I like spiders.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I haven't watched Enemy yet, and Prisoners was both flawed and captivating, but I just watched Incendies and holy gently caress Denis Villeneuve is shaping up to be a major directing talent, or maybe he's already there. I may be crazy, but it feels like he's completely revitalized the mystery/suspense genre.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

second-hand smegma posted:

I haven't watched Enemy yet, and Prisoners was both flawed and captivating, but I just watched Incendies and holy gently caress Denis Villeneuve is shaping up to be a major directing talent, or maybe he's already there. I may be crazy, but it feels like he's completely revitalized the mystery/suspense genre.

I haven't watched that, but I loved the poo poo out of Prisoners, despite a few problems, but Enemy is a beast of it's own. It's amazing how much of a sense of anxiousness and dread is present every moment of the movie. Even when nothing particularly tense is happening, the hair on the back of your neck wants to stand up. And then he knows exactly how to release the tension (heh), the pile it right back on.

You gotta check it out.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Incendies has one of the dumbest endings ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Have y'all seen Polytechnique? Seems like a movie nobody ever talks about.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Have y'all seen Polytechnique? Seems like a movie nobody ever talks about.

Alright, watched Enemy (drat, I'm loving the score and sound design in these movies). Polytechnique is next. Then maybe Maelstrom.

Been a while since a director has surprised me enough that I felt compelled to watch an entire body of work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

second-hand smegma posted:

Alright, watched Enemy (drat, I'm loving the score and sound design in these movies). Polytechnique is next. Then maybe Maelstrom.

Been a while since a director has surprised me enough that I felt compelled to watch an entire body of work.

It's a lot less daunting when they've made like seven or eight films. Another good thing is that they're all good lengths, Enemy is like 91 minutes?

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

James Woods Fan posted:

I've heard that theory from numerous people and even an article and I can't figure out if they're loving around. Not to poo poo on their analysis or anything like that but it just seems...out there.

If you wont poo poo on it I will. There's having a different read on a film and then there's being completely illiterate. Sorry slate.com guy, there are many valid ways to approach any film but you don't get to just look at the pictures and make up your own story.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I just watched this and went in completely blind. I had no idea what the basic premise of the movie even was. All I knew was that I had seen it praised in Gen Chat and had Jake Gyllenhaal.

The discussion here has really helped me get a grasp on it and I loved the ending. However, I really wish less time had been spent with the whole Tracking down this dude who looks exactly like me. It felt drawn out and too similar to the innumerable "mindfuck" thrillers from the early 2000s like Identity and all that junk. The scene where they meet is fantastic and once they've discovered each other it really gets going and becomes its own film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Watched Polytechnique, pretty drat interesting. Reminded me of Elephant, but a little less on-the-nose. This is a talented director and I'm really looking forward to his future projects, especially Story of Your Life.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TrixRabbi posted:

I just watched this and went in completely blind. I had no idea what the basic premise of the movie even was. All I knew was that I had seen it praised in Gen Chat and had Jake Gyllenhaal.

The discussion here has really helped me get a grasp on it and I loved the ending. However, I really wish less time had been spent with the whole Tracking down this dude who looks exactly like me. It felt drawn out and too similar to the innumerable "mindfuck" thrillers from the early 2000s like Identity and all that junk. The scene where they meet is fantastic and once they've discovered each other it really gets going and becomes its own film.

I agree with this. The more the movie acts like an overt mystery, the less interesting it is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This is definitely one of the top 5 movies I've seen this year, and one of the best movies I'd describe as magical realism... ever, probably.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I should probably give this movie another chance because it did not grab me at all. I felt like all the tension was incredibly forced or artificial, and everything dragged out way too long. I don't mind slow and deliberate, but when I watched this it just felt fake. It's like there was 45 minutes of material stretched into 90. He takes way too long deliberating over whether or not to meet this guy, and the first time he makes contact his actor alter ego is incredibly hostile for no real apparent reason. Then they spend a tremendous amount of time afterwards silently pondering the conversation in which nothing of substance was even said. I felt like I was supposed to feel tension and dread because there was tense dreadful music playing, but I didn't get why. I feel like the music should enhance existing tension, not create it.

Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for the movie, but it did not suck me in or develop in a way that made sense or was even interesting to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

It's like there was 45 minutes of material stretched into 90.

I agree but in a good way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just going to meet this total stranger who looks and speaks exactly like me. NBD.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I think my favorite part of the movie is the way they show him realizing he has a double out there. Watches the movie, goes to bed, can't sleep, has weird dreams, and waitwhatthefuck that one background extra looks just like me. Did a great job of capturing how a sudden realization can come to you, plus was creepy as hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The appearance of the bellhop and the mischievous look on his face made me jump a little.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That whole sequence where he's watching the movie he rented while that menacing horn part is blaring on the soundtrack is just great.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Just going to meet this total stranger who looks and speaks exactly like me. NBD.

Yelling "DON'T loving CALL HERE AGAIN" and slamming the phone down isn't exactly a natural reaction either. I'd at least expect some natural curiosity or something. Maybe we're family? Maybe there's another explanation that should be explored, and then once something goes really "off" that's when you put your guard up?

Then again, that's what every other cliche movie that has some theme like "friendly neighbor isn't so friendly" does (movies like Lakeview Terrace or Unlawful Entry), so again, maybe I should give it another shot.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 25, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Watched this with a friend the other day. We both went in blind. That final shot. It was wholly unexpected, yet absolutely perfect. Great movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Yelling "DON'T loving CALL HERE AGAIN" and slamming the phone down isn't exactly a natural reaction either. I'd at least expect some natural curiosity or something. Maybe we're family? Maybe there's another explanation that should be explored, and then once something goes really "off" that's when you put your guard up?

Then again, that's what every other cliche movie that has some theme like "friendly neighbor isn't so friendly" does (movies like Lakeview Terrace or Unlawful Entry), so again, maybe I should give it another shot.

Pretty much all of the weird character interactions can be summed up by the abstract nature of the movie. Since the director has confirmed it's a story about one man and his psyche, the hostility between the two Jakes, and his wife's general tone of sadness and disappointment make perfect sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah, but it's a film about meeting your doppleganger. You don't think that would garner an odd reaction?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Here's from the Wiki plot description of the novel that may provide insight on why Anthony is resistant to meeting his double:

"Upon arrival, the men strip down and find that they are indeed identical, and they discover they were born on the same month, day, and year. Their voices are exactly the same, and they share identical scars and moles. Before Alfonso leaves, Claro asks him to clarify one more thing: the exact time he was born. He wants to know which of them is the "original," and which the double. Alfonso says that he was born at two in the afternoon. Smugly, Claro informs Alfonso that he was born a half hour earlier, making him the original. Alfonso gets up to leave, saying that he has the small compensation of knowing that Claro will be the first to die, and he will become the original in turn. To this, Claro responds, "Well, I hope you enjoy those thirty-one minutes of personal, absolute, and exclusive identity, because that is all you will enjoy from now on." The men agree that they have no reason to ever meet again, and Alfonso leaves."

Strict Picnic
Feb 10, 2013

by Ralp
I've gotta agree with Twee as gently caress on this, as much as I want to kill myself for doing so. Although, there are a couple things I would change about the theory.

Anthony is not a totalitarian spider monster, women are. So whatever his name is, the history guy, rents the movie, cut to his girlfriend wanting sex. He postpones and watches a movie, then has sex with her while she was asleep. She gets mad, and he's confused, because she clearly wanted it. Just like a spider. Laying traps. In the movie, history dude first sees Anthony positioned behind a woman. The woman led the camera to him. Like this is all her plan. Next time we see a woman, she's being very sneaky. She visits history dude, and then tries to trap Anthony with the knowledge she obtained. She mumbles some vague woman stuff, and pouts for the rest of the movie. Or is she just lying in wait? Spider! So Anthony and history Anthony agree to rape each other's women by pretending to be the other. But was this really their plan? It ends with the wife seemingly getting what she wants, and when she realizes she can't control the male id, she reveals her true form. This movie is a great work, revealing the truth of the matriarchy. It is a warning any wise viewer would take note of.
Totally that, and not some convoluted, rambling mess that relies entirely on the audience to give it any meaning or coherency.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I agree with you but that's not what twee as gently caress was saying at all unless I'm misunderstanding his posts.

Strict Picnic
Feb 10, 2013

by Ralp

NESguerilla posted:

I agree with you but that's not what twee as gently caress was saying at all unless I'm misunderstanding his posts.

Yeah. I think he was just speaking of a general sci-fi totalitarian invasion, not the obvious metaphor for the matriarchy.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 680 days!)

i fell asleep watching this movie several times and i would nod off and start snoring and have a nice dream and start awake and open my eyes and it would be the exact same shot of jake staring pensively at a curtain or something with the same sickly beige color filter as when i went to sleep in the first place because this movie is paced like old people gently caress

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

i fell asleep watching this movie several times and i would nod off and start snoring and have a nice dream and start awake and open my eyes and it would be the exact same shot of jake staring pensively at a curtain or something with the same sickly beige color filter as when i went to sleep in the first place because this movie is paced like old people gently caress

My girlfriend had the exact same response.

People actually thinking this is a sci-fi movie about spiders are confusing me. Or I'm being trolled. My friends eventually came to the conclusion that spiders throughout the movie represent feminine power over his life and the movie is him (as in, just the one guy) dealing with the fact that the carefree promiscuous life he wants to lead is at odds with the boring history professor married life with a baby on the way that that he needs to come to terms with.

The idea of women 'trapping' men in marriage (like a spider trapping things in a web geddit) is a really old idea that the film uses to make things all spooky. Hence why the cracked-glass in the car crash looks like a spider-web. It never actually happened, it just represents him realising that the affair isn't going anywhere good, and instead he's decided to get 'caught' in the web of his wife.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

bewilderment posted:

My girlfriend had the exact same response.

People actually thinking this is a sci-fi movie about spiders are confusing me. Or I'm being trolled. My friends eventually came to the conclusion that spiders throughout the movie represent feminine power over his life and the movie is him (as in, just the one guy) dealing with the fact that the carefree promiscuous life he wants to lead is at odds with the boring history professor married life with a baby on the way that that he needs to come to terms with.

The idea of women 'trapping' men in marriage (like a spider trapping things in a web geddit) is a really old idea that the film uses to make things all spooky. Hence why the cracked-glass in the car crash looks like a spider-web. It never actually happened, it just represents him realising that the affair isn't going anywhere good, and instead he's decided to get 'caught' in the web of his wife.

that's dumb, what a dumb movie. your gf is cool.

LADIES BE SPIDERS. THE MALE ID. at least it only made like $5 at the box office.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Please tell us more of your opinions on the movie, dude who slept through it.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

:allears: please tell me more about :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bewilderment posted:

Judging by the conversation he has when he finally goes to see his mother, he's also a failed bit-part actor. That part isn't entirely made up, he's just unsuccessful at it and fantasizes about being far more than he is - hence his alter ego seeming very successful despite having like two bit roles and a couple commercials.

• Locked thread