Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

EDIT: I swear I chose the "menopause" tag! Can somebody please change it?

My mother seems convinced that her life is over now that she's over 50, I want to prove her wrong by showing her women who have achieved amazing things in their golden years.

The most interesting woman I've found so far is Diana Nyad, who swam from Cuba to Florida at the ripe age of 64. But I want more!

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/adventurers-of-the-year/2014/diana-nyad/

National Geographic posted:

On the morning of August 31, 2013, long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad jumped off a rock seawall in Havana, Cuba, and began her 110-mile swim to Key West across the Florida Straits. It was the 64-year-old’s fifth attempt at the notorious crossing—one plagued by powerful currents, sharks, and box jellyfish.

“Once you walk out onto those rocks in Havana, it’s full on,” says Nyad. “You have to believe you are going across. There are no ifs. You are making it. And then you deal with it when you don’t succeed.”

Fifty-two hours, 54 minutes, and 18 seconds later, Nyad reached a Key West beach and became the first person to swim between Cuba and the U.S. without a shark cage. It was the end of an odyssey for Nyad. For four years she dedicated her life to training and fund-raising to pay for her previous attempts.

pomegranates fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2014 around 08:16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!

You should show her Lady Sonia on the internet.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Reppin' the Row since 1536.

pomegranates posted:

My mother seems convinced that her life is over now that she's over 50, I want to prove her wrong by showing her women who have achieved amazing things in their golden years.

Do actors and musicians count? Because there are tons of them. Kathryn Joosten is a good example. She only started acting at age 42 and got her first TV role when she was 55.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Wanja Sjödin from Sweden is fitter than most women half her age. At 72, she could do 62 push-ups in a row and do a 115 kg squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLAzwcyqeg

HEY GAL
Oct 11, 2012
IT'S THE PATRIARCHY'S FAULT I'M A TEDIOUS, PEDANTIC CUNT

Three US Supreme Court justices are older women. Which makes sense, since being a judge is one of those careers where you don't reach your peak until you're older. A lot of careers are like that, in fact. What does your mother do for a living? If you ask her to look back on her career, will she say she knows more now than she did when she was younger?

HEY GAL fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2014 around 17:41

Phisty
Feb 2, 2010

Carol Masheter managed to climb the highest mountains on every continent from age 60-65.

Julia Child was almost 50 when she published her book on french cooking and she went on to have an insanely successful television career for the next thirty years after that. She more or less single-handedly popularized french cuisine in the US, which is pretty impressive.

Ernestine Shepherd is a competitive bodybuilder at the age of 77.

There is also Iris Apfel who is a 92 year old style icon and fashion designer who became famous in her mid eighties.

Barbara Morgan became the oldest female astronaut at 55.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

Girl you know you gotta watch your health

There's Zainab al-Ghazali, an Egyptian activist who in her fifties reformed the Muslim Brotherhood.

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013

Khadija bint Khuwaylid was over 50 when she became Islam's first official convert. That's pretty amazing .

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

My mum isn't famous or inspirational, but she's 60 and she's done a number of fun and cool things since her mid-forties. I think she grew up being told what to do and when to do it by her parents and then wasted her best years raising kids. After her mid-forties, she went into total overdrive to catch up with all sorts of bizarre things she's always wanted to do. She was part of a really dodgy poetry slam crew for a year or two when she was in her very late forties, which was just the most hilarious thing. She also went to Spain and walked around 800km of the Camino de Santiago in like four weeks. She was about 55 or 56 at the time, went completely on her own and isn't even Catholic.

I don't know what it is about old women, but they have a certain vibe of cutting through the bullshit and just giving no fucks that I find immensely heartening since I'll be an old woman myself one day.

MoraleHazard
Aug 21, 2012

It's Zoidberg, John Fucking Zoidberg!

It doesn't even have to be this giant achievement like climbing mountains or going into space. Even volunteering at a charity can really make a difference in people's lives, both the volunteer and the people she helps.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz

Elaine Stritch was born in 1925 and she's still working as an actress/comedienne. There's a documentary movie about her that's coming out this year: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0834626/

CupcakePrincess
Oct 6, 2012

Greta Pontarelli started learning pole dancing when she was 59 (in 2010) and is now a world champion pole dancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_GjEFY4hrQ

She is amazingly strong, flexible and graceful.

Smai
Feb 20, 2006

Alice Herz-Sommer is 110, the oldest holocaust survivor and pianist. She has a love for life and music that puts to shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oxO3M6rAPw

Edit: whoa, she just died today.

Smai fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2014 around 01:28

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for sharing, guys! Wanna hang out with all these women. Except that last one, I guess.

Phaeoacremonium posted:

My mum isn't famous or inspirational, but she's 60 and she's done a number of fun and cool things since her mid-forties. I think she grew up being told what to do and when to do it by her parents and then wasted her best years raising kids. After her mid-forties, she went into total overdrive to catch up with all sorts of bizarre things she's always wanted to do. She was part of a really dodgy poetry slam crew for a year or two when she was in her very late forties, which was just the most hilarious thing. She also went to Spain and walked around 800km of the Camino de Santiago in like four weeks. She was about 55 or 56 at the time, went completely on her own and isn't even Catholic.

I don't know what it is about old women, but they have a certain vibe of cutting through the bullshit and just giving no fucks that I find immensely heartening since I'll be an old woman myself one day.
It's interesting you posted this, as my mum also wants to walk the Camino de Santiago. It sounds like your mum is coming from a similar place to mine, too (she raised me on her own and never gave herself time to have a career or pursue her dreams). I'll pass this along to her!

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Google Image Search "MILF"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

Three US Supreme Court justices are older women. Which makes sense, since being a judge is one of those careers where you don't reach your peak until you're older. A lot of careers are like that, in fact. What does your mother do for a living? If you ask her to look back on her career, will she say she knows more now than she did when she was younger?

Even a "young" career like modeling has plenty of women over 50, 60, etc. getting work. Jacky O'Shaughnessy made a pretty big splash and she didn't even start until she was 59.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005
they flipped the bitch!

My mom was in a lovely dead end job around turning 50, and took a random craft class that she'd always had some interest in learning.
Not only did she love it, she ended up being great at it and was eventually offered a job at the studio she was taking the classes at. She quit her crappy job and started to work there. 5 years later when the owners were looking to retire they offered her the business and she took a chance and bought it.
Now at 60+ she has a job she loves, runs her own studio with several employees, and she's taught hundreds of people to make beautiful useful things. Recently one of her pieces was bought by a hospital and there was a big dedication ceremony.
Ten years ago she was a bus driver and thought she didn't have an artistic bone in her body. She could not have imagined any of this (I'm getting misty-eyed typing right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies.

On a slightly tamer note, I used to work at an electronics retailer. Most old women (most women in general but old women especially) would insist that every form of technology was completely beyond their grasp.

But one day, I had a woman who was at least 70 come in and pop-quiz me on the ram timings of the machines we were selling. I, having never bothered to look into ram timings before (I knew they were a thing, but not what they meant) was totally put on the spot and even though it was a little embarrassing not to be able to help her, I was still very gratified to have met at least one senior citizen who had decided that she was more then capable of understand computers and was drat sure going to keep up with technology.

Maybe it's not amazing in the grand scheme of things, but it's certainly the only thing I really remember from that shithole of a job 5 years on.

Even if you aren't going to swim the channel, that's no call to give in on life, and indeed if you have a little bit of staying power as you get older you'll find yourself rapidly outstripping your former peers in all sorts of areas as they succumb to apathy.