Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

He is the Super Bowl Champions.

This is a thing that happened to me a couple of nights ago that I didn't know had an actual term until now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Apparently the actual sound varies from person to person, but for me it sounded like a bomb went off in Seattle. Came with a flash of bright red light too. Any other goons have this happen to them before, or am I a mutant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

this thread...it was made for me

this happens to me occasionally its really fuckings scary

Plastic Goldbaby
Sep 8, 2010

Purple horseshoes?
Sure, if they be nailed to a golden horse.

yea it only affects people who need to tell their parents that they are gay

Plastic Goldbaby
Sep 8, 2010

Purple horseshoes?
Sure, if they be nailed to a golden horse.

just kidding, we all like to clown around here in gbs

but seriously you are hosed up look into that

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

e: forgot quote

Sid Vicious posted:

this happens to me occasionally its really fuckings scary

Is it usually an explosion-type sound for you too? Or is it a whooshing? I looked it up and the latter seems like it happens more often, or at least has more anecdotes of people recording it. I wanna make sure this is something I actually have and not something else that could be more serious.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

at night or in a dark place when I hear a noise or get a sudden shock I see a flash of light. I think they're two separate things op

sether01
Jun 17, 2005

i really do get this sometimes like once a week, i think it's from stress or something

sether01 fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2014 around 03:49

Dexters Secret
Sep 8, 2008

We could care less what others think about is, but at times, we do care and we fall apart. But when we do fall apart, we put each other back together. We do all this and we ask nothing in return. We are Onii and Imouto.

this happens to me so much i've gotten used to it

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Prozach posted:

e: forgot quote

Is it usually an explosion-type sound for you too? Or is it a whooshing? I looked it up and the latter seems like it happens more often, or at least has more anecdotes of people recording it. I wanna make sure this is something I actually have and not something else that could be more serious.

it can be either like a really loud explosion sound or like flying through a wind tunnel both have happened to me and both happen most often in a hypnogogic state (between sleep and wakefullness)

BossRighteous
Dec 28, 2002

I sometimes wake up to crashing noises in my home. In my panic I reach for my switchblade, occasionally plunging it into my then partner's chest. It's always embarrassing to find out it's merely a dream.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

I should probably clarify, this happened to me while I was sleeping, and it woke me up. So there's a chance it could be some outside noise.

Obscuritatem
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

try ephemerol.

Dexters Secret
Sep 8, 2008

We could care less what others think about is, but at times, we do care and we fall apart. But when we do fall apart, we put each other back together. We do all this and we ask nothing in return. We are Onii and Imouto.

one of these days i will die in the aftermath of an explosion because i thought i just imagined it

Seizure Robot
Sep 3, 2003

The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation defines a robot as 'Your Plastic Pal Who's Fun To Be With.'

rare and relatively undocumented parasomnia event experienced by every member of GBS because they think it makes them sound cool

sether01
Jun 17, 2005

Prozach posted:

I should probably clarify, this happened to me while I was sleeping, and it woke me up. So there's a chance it could be some outside noise.

it's internal, man

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Dexters Secret posted:

one of these days i will die in the aftermath of an explosion because i thought i just imagined it

you and me both dexter

Sabel
Aug 11, 2004

Gay married to gay communism

This happened to me once and I had no idea what the gently caress.
Only once.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Seizure Robot posted:

rare and relatively undocumented parasomnia event experienced by every member of GBS because they think it makes them sound cool

gently caress man, I'm not gonna start bragging about being an insomniac if this does keep up. Although I will admit, the name does sound neat.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

its not really a thing to brag about ether it doesnt make me sound cooler it just wakes me up sometimes and i hate it, i was just giving the op some knowledge yo

gggiiimmmppp
Feb 15, 2004

Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels

my head has never exploded op but i hope this datapoint is helpful in your quest for the truth

BossRighteous
Dec 28, 2002

Last night I dreamed I was Harry Potter and Snape had commanded giant scorpions to attack me on the roof of an ancient pagoda. Keep talk about your scary sounds though

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

gggiiimmmppp posted:

my head has never exploded op but i hope this datapoint is helpful in your quest for the truth

Your quote has been added to my notes.

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone

Prozach posted:

I wanna make sure this is something I actually have and not something else that could be more serious.

what the gently caress? you have loud noises going off in your head and you ask if it could be serious. what the hell is wrong with you?

Dexters Secret
Sep 8, 2008

Seizure Robot posted:

turns out people who post at 4am have a lot of sleeping problems who knew

circ dick soleil
Sep 26, 2012

Seizure Robot posted:

yeah it happens to me too.

it sounds like a woosheing sound and it kind of gets louder then softer like waves crasheing thru my head. also it can make dreams xtra scarey. i think it's stress related.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2014 around 09:29

TDILZ
Feb 18, 2014

by Ralp

probably demons

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

It's kind of weird that it's called exploding head syndrome when your head doesn't actually explode. What are they gonna call it when there is an outbreak of people's heads exploding randomly

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Kidsolo posted:

what the gently caress? you have loud noises going off in your head and you ask if it could be serious. what the hell is wrong with you?

Apparently they're physically harmless, and only in rare cases does it continue. So it might actually just be a random thing, I dunno.

Dexters Secret
Sep 8, 2008

Token Cracker posted:

It's kind of weird that it's called exploding head syndrome when your head doesn't actually explode. What are they gonna call it when there is an outbreak of people's heads exploding randomly

scanners disease

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Token Cracker posted:

A Really Good Thing

circ dick soleil
Sep 26, 2012

Token Cracker posted:

wooshy noise syndrome

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Dexters Secret posted:

turns out people who post at 4am have a lot of sleeping problems who knew

West Coast. Although yeah, I'm still pretty awake.

s p a c e d
Jun 21, 2012

steve austin gets a metal chair to his head! boooshhh!

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

this sounds p gently caress terrifying

guess i should stop posting at 4 sounds like i'm just asking for trouble

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

I had something that sounds a little like this, but I don't think it was this. I dreamed I was laughing at a cop who was having trouble dealing with a babbling schizophrenic homeless man. Suddenly out of the blue in a single frenzied motion, the man grabbed the cop's gun from his belt, grabbed me, and then shot me through the back of my head point blank. Everything went red and I thought that I had died, and this was the last feeling my bits of shattered brain matter 'feel' before going unconscious. I was really loving relieved to be alive.

Can't recall that ever happening elsewhere, but I do have occasional times where I wake up with a start - I think that's normal though.

Edit: Reading through the wikipedia description, it sounds like I just had a bad dream and nothing more.

Dexters Secret
Sep 8, 2008

was it an axe cop

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Dexters Secret posted:

was it an axe cop

If it was, then it would have been a hell of a lot more fun dream.

Billmac
Nov 4, 2006

this literally happens to everyone get really drunk or smoke a joint before you go to bed problems olved.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I got mine cured in a theme hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

no, just a drunken moron

was expecting a fist of the north star thread... i am disappoint

«3 »