Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of Rareware's 2 actually good games. The other being Diddy Kong Racing. Let's 100% it. If you haven't played this before and have an Xbox 360, an HD remake is on Xbox Live Arcade for $15.

Videos
01 - Spiral Mountain
02 - Mumbo's Mountain (with Waffleman)
03 - Treasure Trove Cove (with majormonotone)
04 - Clanker's Cavern (with Mico)
05 - Bubblegloop Swamp (with Incel Documentary)
06 - Freezeezy Peak (with Devious Vacuum)
07 - Gobi's Valley (with Source Element)

njsykora fucked around with this message at Apr 4, 2014 around 22:21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not just one hero but rather a pair, one of the 2 good games made by Rare.

01 - Spiral Mountain

njsykora fucked around with this message at Feb 23, 2014 around 20:22

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

You don't understand my problems! I can't even promote till the end of the game!

njsykora posted:

Banjo-Kazooie is one of Rareware's 2 actually good games. The other being Diddy Kong Racing.

Them's fighting words, son. I love both Banjo games, but they'll never overtake DKC2 (or 3, but that's a personal opinion).

Anyway, it's nice to see a new LP of Banjo since Rooreeloo's was so long ago, but it seems like your video's kinda fuzzy. Is it still processing or just a low resolution, because Youtube's 360p option isn't doing it any favors.

SourceElement
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Artix posted:

Anyway, it's nice to see a new LP of Banjo since Rooreeloo's was so long ago, but it seems like your video's kinda fuzzy. Is it still processing or just a low resolution, because Youtube's 360p option isn't doing it any favors.

I think it's because it was actually recorded on an N64 console.

Totally gonna be following this. I love me some Banjo Kazooie!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is the case, and a PAL console at that. It's not just the footage, it looks like that on my TV as well.

njsykora fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2014 around 18:45

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

Mr. Forums Poster, Welcome Back. We Missed You.

To this day I could probably 100% this game if you just handed me a controller and turned the game on. Its knowledge is burned into my brain cells instead of things like remembering birthdays and math.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The 4.5 tatami room is a truly beautiful square.
Is it not magnificent?

Let's play Nintendo 64,
I hope this game is not a bore!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

I maintain that Gruntilda's laugh is one of the greatest evil laughs in history. Not even video game history -- of all time.

Also, that musical intro. Nostalgiaing so hard. Good times.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

GIRL GAMES

I am so hype for this thread. I will always love Banjo Kazooie no matter how many people play through it and examine its flaws!!!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

Mister E posted:

To this day I could probably 100% this game if you just handed me a controller and turned the game on. Its knowledge is burned into my brain cells instead of things like remembering birthdays and math.

All of this goes for me too. I love this game and its sequel to bits. The music, the gameplay, everything.

NJ, thanks for doing this. Ah, nostalgia.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

That bunny was in the way of progress.

njsykora posted:

Banjo-Kazooie is one of Rareware's 2 actually good games.

Was... was Banjo-Tooie not a good game? Have I been living a lie all this time?

In all honesty though, really looking forward to this, mostly because this game needs a chill LP with voice commentary. The old subtitled ones by Rooreelooo are kinda difficult to watch in the archives. Is there any particular reason you went with recording this on N64 as opposed to recording the HD one?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

I'm 100% on board with this thread. This video is going to get watched as soon as Canada wins gold.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

If dreams are like movies
then memories are films about ghosts.

I've always been interested in the Banjo games but I've never been able to fully get into them, so I'm happy this LP exists! I can't wait to see what the later levels are all about.

If you don't mind me giving you one small tip, though, I highly recommend rendering the final videos in 960x720p from now on. Youtube's HD pipeline is a lot better than its SD pipeline. Because of this, the video will look better this way even at its native 360p. It's kind of silly but that's the way it is!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tooie is so much better

Seriously though, excellent first video, looking forward to this LP. Kazooie is a drat good game, and definitely one of Rare's best platformers, but its flaws become rather apparent later on in the game due to the bloody Note Score system. (gently caress whoever thought that was a good idea in the first place.)

Mico
Jan 28, 2011

I call it Meowthstep.

I never did play this game. And I definitely don't have the patience for N64 Rareware collectathons anymore.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Is there any particular reason you went with recording this on N64 as opposed to recording the HD one?

Yes, I don't have an Xbox 360.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Racist words come from Kazooie's beak, as we attempt to navigate Mumbo's peak.

02 - Mumbo's Mountain (with Waffleman)

E: Have replaced both videos with 720p enabled versions. It's not major but they are a little sharper.

njsykora fucked around with this message at Feb 23, 2014 around 20:28

Mico
Jan 28, 2011

I call it Meowthstep.

When you both start talking about eating gold all I can think of is David Cross

HOOLY BOOLY
Jan 27, 2014

Grunty's laugh always scared me when i was a kid, between that and a certain thing in the next level, i never did actually beat the game untl buying the HD version on 360, where ihave 100% completion! I like to think 5/6 year old me is now at peace because of that. I knew better by the time Tooie came out, but hat game is so freaking massive
it never got very far

azren
Feb 13, 2011

Is it just me, or does Grunty's mountain hideout make anyone else think of Nupraptor's Retreat from Blood Omen?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.

Was...Battletoads not good? Or Donkey Kong Country?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The 4.5 tatami room is a truly beautiful square.
Is it not magnificent?

Let it be known that the opinions expressed in this LP do not represent those of any guest commentators.

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

Khajiit like to WUB WUB WUB

njsykora posted:

Yes, I don't have an Xbox 360.

That explains why you think there are only two good Rareware games - you've never played Viva Piņata!

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Lizard Wizard posted:

That explains why you think there are only two good Rareware games - you've never played Viva Piņata!

Well if we're gonna go down that road, I contest that Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was actually awesome.

But more importantly, when exactly did they go from Rareware to just Rare?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I have played Viva Pinata.

One of these videos is probably going to end up being a 30+ minute argument over Nuts and Bolts (I loving love Nuts and Bolts).

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I had rented Bear and Bird 1 and 2 a lot as a kid, I was never good at it so I barely got anywhere in the first level on both occasions. Now that I think about it, I'm amazed I beat any game as a kid. But I did always like the art style and characters in this game. I've seen other LP's of it before but its always the HD version. Pretty psyched to see the original get done.

azren
Feb 13, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Was...Battletoads not good?

No. Battletoads was not good. It was a sadistic, soul-crushing monstrosity. I'm not just saying that because it's hard (I love the Souls games, and my favorite DMC was 3), but because it was stupidly hard. Those levels are hard because of poor design. gently caress that game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A useless pirate covered in flab, on a beach owned by a giant crab.

03 - Treasure Trove Cove

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

So why am I the boss of the Sandcastle? Am I that bad a poster, or just someone you hate enough to want to fight? Or is it just my famously negative muscle mass?

HOOLY BOOLY
Jan 27, 2014

Nidoking posted:

So why am I the boss of the Sandcastle? Am I that bad a poster, or just someone you hate enough to want to fight? Or is it just my famously negative muscle mass?

Perhaps they mean you are rather crabby,speak in rhyme, and have a Jiggy?

Speaking of DK Mode in the video, why was it called that? I don't think it necessarily referred to Donkey Kong did it? That's the only DK that comes to mind back in those days.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

oh no

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Perhaps they mean you are rather crabby,speak in rhyme, and have a Jiggy?

Speaking of DK Mode in the video, why was it called that? I don't think it necessarily referred to Donkey Kong did it? That's the only DK that comes to mind back in those days.

It did! Rare was fresh off Donkey Kong 64 when they made Goldeneye.

Also, apologies to Nidoking. You were the first Sandcastle regular I thought of.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

majormonotone posted:

It did! Rare was fresh off Donkey Kong 64 when they made Goldeneye.

Also, apologies to Nidoking. You were the first Sandcastle regular I thought of.

Donkey Kong Country actually, DK64 was 1999 after Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye was 1997 after Blast Corps. The 2 good games DKR and Banjo are the meat in that particular sandwich.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

Nope.

I played this game for the first time on an emulator last year, it holds up really well! I never beat it though, I got stuck/bored on that boat level.

e: Wait is that the Aku-Aku sound effect when you transform? How did I not notice that before?

Beartaco fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2014 around 10:19

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This level doesn't deserve a rhyme.

04 - Clanker's Cavern (with Mico)

There's also some audio desync in this video, because it wasn't bad enough that we couldn't do anything to make this level interesting.

njsykora fucked around with this message at Mar 6, 2014 around 12:30

SourceElement
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I'll say there's certainly some audio desync! Almost 15 seconds of it by the end of the video!

At least the music in the level is pretty awesome, if nothing else. But then, all the music in the game's pretty great!

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

The invincibility music didn't start till you'd already gotten the jiggy, so yeah pretty big desync.

Rather Watch Them
Mar 28, 2012

Version 2.0.0.1 (beta).

njsykora posted:

This level doesn't deserve a rhyme.

Its very existence is a crime.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

I have a special ability. The ability to remove humor out of any joke.

Here, let me demonstrate. Just look over to the right.

I was actually really bored/actively dodging work a few weeks ago and shotgunned the entirety of the Banjo Kazooie/Tooie/N&B LPs, and most of the videos are down because they were hosted (site hosted on is down) and blip (down), but most of them are also, though incredibly desynced, on Viddler. This means that the only video that matters was saved.

Separately, I loved Clanker's Cavern's music. It's up there as one of my favorites in the game.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

Nope.

I think maybe you should boost your commentary audio a bit. I was struggling to hear it at points! As for the level, it seemed badly designed but I dunno I don't remember it being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Beartaco posted:

I think maybe you should boost your commentary audio a bit. I was struggling to hear it at points! As for the level, it seemed badly designed but I dunno I don't remember it being bad.

Yeah I think I screwed the mix slightly on that one. Not an issue here though.

A Vile challenge awaits, where crocodiles like to date

05 - Bubblegloop Swamp (with Incel Documentary)

«3 »