Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
tia

There's a big transmitter just up the road that I drive by every day, and other than the local FOX affiliate and the weather radio, I'm really curious as to just what else is broadcasting off it. Unfortunately, I can't pick up anything in the Faraday cage that is my apartment, and there are strict rules about not erecting any structures outside. poo poo sucks, but until I can get a house and do a proper rig, I'm gonna have to go with the handheld approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
why not put an antenna on your vehicle?

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
Also an option, just not quite sure exactly what would work best. I'm still kinda new to this radio thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK, for a Uniden duck I am going to suggest the Diamond RH-77 with SMA. This should help a lot. The tier above that would be to have an external scanner antenna, mounted up in the corner of a room on an exterior wall (but inside the structure). If you don't want to gently caress around with that, get the Diamond. 20 bux and you're good.

--

I got the 18 foot vertical wired up today! Instead of the CB antenna, which has 3 1/4 wave ground radials strung along the bottom of the chassis, I've got the coax grounded directly to the frame near the antenna. It should be a good counterpoise. Total coax length is 9 feet. CB whip is still up and is nice because it's a very easy match for 10 and 12 meters, where the 18 footer is a little half-wave-ey.

20 meters is BOOMING in now, 30 meters is usable and so is 40, though I'm going to put up a 40/20 meter Windom for 40 as it will have better NVIS performance to hop over the mountains. And Jello, the strongest station I just heard on 20 was an N5 from Mississippi, so there's your motivation.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
should i buy this and make my wife mad?

http://www.grapevineamateurradio.com/store/?model_number=IC-730

ediT: she said no :(

edit2:

We carry brand new ham radios and also sell radios on consignment. Listed below are some of the radios we currently have for sale. BRING US YOUR TRADES! We will sell your radios on consignment or take them as trades on new gear.

- Icom IC730 HF Radio (tested and working) $300

- Yaesu FT-101EX HF radio (powers up, otherwise untested) $190

- Kenwood TS-530sp $300

- Kenwood VFO-230 (goes with above radio, but sold separately)

- Kenwood TS-820S (sometimes VFO will not power on, but works fine most of the time) $150

- Yaesu FT-101ZD (tested and working) $200

- Yaesu FT-726R (satalite board installed, has 2m/440 currently, will take a 3rd band - receives fine, will not TX) $150

- Kenwood TS-50 (bad finals, no mic)
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 25, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
what does michael kors mean

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress I would have bought that ft-726 in a heartbeat and it's gone now :( that's an easy fix

e: dont buy an icom 730. despite being only 5 off from the venerable icom 735, see that big band switch over on the right? yeah it's got about eight layers of contacts and the switch will get janky

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bored and sittin by the radio, decided to take a spin thru the dial

full AM spectrum log through the icom, with an 18 foot vertical grounded to the RV frame

560 KLZ Denver
580 WIBW Topeka
630 KHOW Denver
650 KGAB Cheyenne
670 KLTT Denver (jesus)
710 KNUS Aurora
720 WGN Chicago
740 KVOR Colorado Springs
750 KAMA El Paso (spanish)
760 KKZN Denver
780 WBBM Chicago
810 KLVZ Denver (jesus)
820 WBAP Dallas
830 WCCO Minneapolis
850 KOA Denver
890 WLS Chicago
910 KPOF Denver (jesus)
950 KRWZ Denver (oldies)
990 KRKS Denver (MORE JESUS)
1040 WHO Des Moines
1070 KNX LA
1090 KMXA Aurora (spanish)
1110 KFAB omaha
1120 KMOX St. Louis
1150 KNRV Denver (spanish)
1160 KSL SLC
1170 KFAQ tulsa
1200 WOAI San Antonio
1280 KBNO Denver (spanish)
1310 KFKA Ft. Collins
1340 KVOQ Aurora
1500 KSTP Minneapolis
1510 KCKK Littleton
1540 KXEL Waterloo IA
1650 KBJD Denver (jesus spanish)
1690 KDDZ Arvada
1700 KBGG Des Moines

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
missed 770 WABC in New York

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So i can tell it's winter because I have the radio bug again. have been listening to 40meters and 440 repeaters all day

blugu64 posted:

missed 770 WABC in New York

east coast is pretty much out now that i'm in CO. i did have a 770 station but couldn't pick it out

the fun bit is storing all the unknowns in my radio memories and waiting for the :00 or :30 on my phone, then turbo flipping through all them hoping that they announce callsigns. pretty solid tactic really

i have the approval from mrs (it's not really lovely like that but i dont like asking for forgiveness) to dump about 150-200 or so into antennas and accessories, so we're going to see how much metal we can get in the air:

-3x 50 foot rg8x - $55
-tram 1480 dual band vertical - $50
-mount for existing dual band vert - $30
-powerpole connectors and awg 12 wire and terminal boards and fuse blocks to get good power to the radios(currently got a cig lighter jank thing set up) - $30

this'll give me two 2m/440 antennas, i'm going to put up like a 15 foot mast or so and start hanging metal off it. I'm going to put up a 40 meter windom for some 40 meter coverage, and for 20 meter local work. There's another ham in the trailer park and he has ridiculous 30 foot verticals all over the place so I'm flying low on the radar.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 28, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bit of noise on one of the local IRLP nodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEr058kfVlc

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

OK, for a Uniden duck I am going to suggest the Diamond RH-77 with SMA. This should help a lot. The tier above that would be to have an external scanner antenna, mounted up in the corner of a room on an exterior wall (but inside the structure). If you don't want to gently caress around with that, get the Diamond. 20 bux and you're good.

Thanks for the rec, Jonny. :hfive: Ordered it, once it arrives and I have a chance to play around with it I'll post a trip report.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i bought a Sainsonic (seriously, that's the name) AP510 APRS tracker

it's a battery powered APRS tracker, built-in GPS, position logging to µSD cards, bluetooth serial console to act as a TNC (radio modem, reportedly works well on android), 1W VHF transmitter, around 1-2 days battery life (testing yesterday suggests that's accurate), USB serial TNC and programming

that was the good part, here's the programming software:

it's chinese software

following strict PRC coding standards it only runs out of the box on windows XP (first public release in 2014), it's written in VB6

to read the programming it requires you to reboot the tracker, when booting the tracker dumps all its config info to the usb serial, then the software hopefully receives it
writing programming is unreliable at best, SOP is to hit that button 3-4 times each time

notice that it says 144.6400 in the frequency field? not everyone in the world uses dots as decimal separators. when I try to program it requires a comma there instead. then when it programs it actually seems to set the frequency with an AT command and a string version of the decimal value. it will happily write "144,8000" to the device. at which point the device sets a frequency of 150.050 MHz. changing regional settings for the entire OS seems to be the only true fix, either that or I have to open a separate console to send the frequency set command every time i program new settings.

oh, and the micro-USB on the bottom of the device is actually a custom TTL serial interface over a USB plug, it uses a special USB cable with a PL2303 inside
good news for hardware hackers, bad news if I ever lose that cable

if i expand the window slightly this shows up:

I think that's where the received serial data shows up...

also i set up a quick APRS IGate to get good coverage indoors here, but that actually went fairly smoothly, probably gonna get a raspi to run that on permanently

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahaha, awesome.

i'd really like to strap all in one aprs trackers to each of the cars, glad to see the china market stepping up. I don't really need icom steel to blast out a packet now and then, heh.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Stopped by the denver Ham Radio Outlet location.

oh
my
god

i'm going to spend all my money there :(

strip mall spot packed floor to ceiling with antennas, gadgets, wires, radios

and old men making "buy a radio! we'll ship it unmarked to the neighbor, heh heh" jokes

aaaaaaaaaaaa

my people

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
anyone know good interactive TNC software for APRS?

I've got APRSIS32 running with the AP510 as a KISS TNC, I sent myself a radio-email! this could potentially be pretty useful for ham-ops in the middle of nowhere if I can get the digipeater part working as well.

unfortunately I can't get message RX to work, I know there's traffic on the air that the TNC can receive but nothing on the serial...

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
YEAH BABY!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cjs: just ordered

-3x 50 foot RG-8x runs (hey, i'm still thrifty)
-1x Tram 1480, a copy of the Diamond X200
-1x funky antenna mount to put up my Comet dual band whip

This will give me a pair of dual band mobile whips and an 8 foot dual band base antenna. good for two base radios and a scanner for now.

starting to look at beams, kind of want to get a couple little 3-6 element ones for 2m and 440. gotta get on the air first!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tram 1480 came in, holy cow. 15 ft off the ground it's way way better than my 5/8 wave dual band mobile whip, and SWR is 1.6 at 144, 1.2 at 148, and under 1.5 on the entire 70cm band.

only mod is you gotta use sealant on the middle connection on the fiberglass pipe, its notorious for bein not waterproof

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

its me im the fbi

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PuTTY riot posted:

what does michael kors mean

he was a judge on project runway. he has a fashion line or something

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

my rtlsdr is chronically owned by a 70kW FM public radio station ~ 1mi from my house so i tried to see if i could fix that with what I had on hand, made a 3rd order chebyshev band stop filter. as you can see from their terribleness the inductors were hand wound with enamled magnet wire because i dont have any inductors on hand. also because i am poor and do not have an LCR meter i dont know if they acutally have the correct inductance since i just calculated how big and how many turns they should have with some simple formula

the signal went from swamping the input with the LNA set at 0 to averaging -13dBm which is an improvement i guess. thinkin i gotta order some copper clad board and re do this dead bug style and shove it all in a metal enclosure, possibly increasing the order and definately ordering machine wound inductors. right now its just shielded with aluminum tape soldered as best i could to ground which im sure is generating some hilarious parasitics

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh hell yeah. very cool

you could also possibly goof with a 1/4 wave stub filter, buuuuuut it'll resonate on harmonics

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

you could also possibly goof with a 1/4 wave stub filter, buuuuuut it'll resonate on harmonics

text me

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

characterizing shitfilter with a sweep of frequencies and gnuplot
figuring out how to use gnuplot was the most difficult part of this entire project

50-150MHz sweep
no filter

filter

20-1000MHz sweep
no filter

filter

now that this is done i am going to sacrifice the stock ipx cable+antenna to do a stub filter :getin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my ISS yuri gagarin SSTV picture

strong signal. i was just holding the macbook next to the radio tho

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i'm a big boy now, literally just got this home:

TS-850SAT (thats with antenna tuner), all but two of the IF filter options, voice synth, possibly more

also got a big linear supply, a G5RV (he insisted on giving it away), and i've borrowed a 9:1 balun for christmas, gonna put up a big rear end wire and run some HF out in the middle of nowhere!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey cool. those are like the chevy silverado to my icom 735 F-150. where are you located? i don't know sadly...

i'm set up on 40 and 20 thru 10, lets link up

e: i always liked the big kenwood multi VFD bargraphs, dope poo poo

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 21, 2014

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
northern norway for christmas, won't be QRV for real until dec 26th or so though

i can usually hear american sermons out there on 31 meters, so good chance of a QSO if i can get a decent wire or the G5RV set up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we may need to go digital. i'm not exactly a big gun here. we can do it tho!

ping me when you've got some copper in the air

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i have a reasonably big yard to play with antenna-wise. i might have to put something big up because i might be in a hole relative to everyone else. i live close enough to you jonny i can probably hear you without putting a big olde antenna up though, but i'm not sure yet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so i just learned that there's a narrow band around 13500 khz that is Part 15 okay. We can have a shortwave station with like 10 mV/m field strength, which is about 2 milliwatts into a full size dipole.

radio free yospos?

help me find a simple AM transmitter circuit and ill build it and put it on the air!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did you know you can rent a 50 kw shortwave transmitter for 20 bucks an hour

http://www.wbcq.com/

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

so i just learned that there's a narrow band around 13500 khz that is Part 15 okay. We can have a shortwave station with like 10 mV/m field strength, which is about 2 milliwatts into a full size dipole.

radio free yospos?

help me find a simple AM transmitter circuit and ill build it and put it on the air!

Isn't there an ISM band from something like 6765 to 6795kHz, are you allowed to transmit there too? Not sure if that would be easier to pull a crystal down to?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not in the states, and there are tons of 13.560 sources. hong kong will sling you the crystals for a nickel apiece. matter of fact i thought about just buying something like this and putting an SO-239 and a key line on it. could just hook it to an arduino or something

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
fired up the 30A linear, only to hear a loud buzzing followed by a bang, then it worked

guess my theory that with enough power a cap or two shorting isn't a problem was right, it simply blew that cap away, solving the problem of a shorted cap

new problem: half the caps are bad (35V/4700 x 6) and some others have had the leads cut at some point
fortunately my grandpa has a lot of barely used/new large caps and I found a 14A rated 33000µ 63V cap + some Rifa brand 3300µ 100Vs lying around here, so gonna head down there and swing the iron tonight

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

fired up the 30A linear, only to hear a loud buzzing followed by a bang, then it worked

hahaha, this is the most magical experience. love it.

Do you have any concerns with inrush on that huge cap?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

hahaha, this is the most magical experience. love it.

Do you have any concerns with inrush on that huge cap?

should be fine, the sum of the old caps is about the same anyway, plus there will be wires from the PCB to the cap, and i've already tested it at whatever current is needed to blow up the old cap :v:

i might stick it on the output though, should get good regulation and a ridiculous short circuit current

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

not in the states, and there are tons of 13.560 sources. hong kong will sling you the crystals for a nickel apiece. matter of fact i thought about just buying something like this and putting an SO-239 and a key line on it. could just hook it to an arduino or something

Enjoy dealing with poo poo loads of rfid Crap although that's all near field so whatever I guess :justpost: is what I'm getting at here

• Locked thread