Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Nice chodetenna. What is it about thicker conductors that gives the antenna a wider bandwidth anyways?

ask your mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Nice chodetenna. What is it about thicker conductors that gives the antenna a wider bandwidth anyways?

:getin:

I'm not exactly a physics major (though i could ask one of the physics experts at work some time), but based on my understanding of biconical/bowtie antennas it has something to do with the width of the element allowing multiple paths along the antenna, so the antenna sort of works because there's always the right length available

but that's also a bit of a bullshit explanation, but i like this site for antenna theory: http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/wideband/bowtie.php

e: also gonna add that it's as well built as it looks, the radials are hollow tubes but the core antenna seems to be made from fairly solid very nicely machined aluminium, there's two screws on the top and what looks like a lid but i'm not gonna open it in case there's one-time use gaskets inside

longview fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 29, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

something something skin effect

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Welcome to rf where everything is loving magic

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Welcome to rf where everything is loving magic

black loving magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rahzrPdEeE8

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

i like how at a certain point somewhere between uhf and "use waveguides, idiot" you have to start being careful about how you bend your coax because if you curve it too sharply the signal will just understeer and fly off the side of the curve

e: i also like how "soft-spoken british electrical engineer youtube video" is a wildly successful new genre

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 30, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

10 GHz is up in the waveguide part of the spectrum. Also that's getting up into the range where you have to start using special PCBs and poo poo with the sidnal traces in between ground layers, and no bare leads to components because your wavelengths are getting short enough that loving everything turns into a radiator.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

e: i also like how "soft-spoken british electrical engineer youtube video" is a wildly successful new genre

him channel owns he scours eBay for weird poo poo and does teardowns. His dayjob is designing the electronics and electricals for huge LED art installations and stuff.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bye jonny :smith:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

rip

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

jonny290 died??

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
don't worry, he only ragequit the forums, not life

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

This cheapo Astatic brand SWR meter is loving trash. Also I tuned the antenna down to 12 meter band, and got a <1.25 swr over the whole band since it's so narrow. Haven't made a single contact though since I got my license.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Goddamn nobody on 12 meters either. Do one of the legit brands make a 6m/2m/70cm rig? I could buy one of those or try to get down to 20 meters by stacking copper 17 feet high and hoping it doesn't fall over.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Goddamn nobody on 12 meters either. Do one of the legit brands make a 6m/2m/70cm rig? I could buy one of those or try to get down to 20 meters by stacking copper 17 feet high and hoping it doesn't fall over.

yaesu Ft-8900 sounds like what you're asking for, it's FM only though

otherwise you're looking at HF+50 rigs mostly or the high end HFs but those are pretty expensive

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
exciting news, i got the exciter in the mail from myself!

did some quick testing on how to add LSB modulation, all the low frequency LOs are logic level so i just plugged a DDS board into the 1st converter SMB connector

replacing the 20 kHz carrier with a 15.5 kHz carrier and tuning 5.5 kHz down i can get the correct carrier frequency and lower sideband out with the correct AF bandwidth. so two DDS boards seems to be the right way to go for a LSB option.
just need to check that i can offset the first LO by that much without running into bandpass filters

e: found another signal generator and hooked it up as the LO for the 1st converter, LSB works perfectly! decent audio from the first test against the IC-706

longview fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 31, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got my antenna tuned down to 20 meters. Some of these people on the CW only section are ridiculously fast.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I still can't get anyone to reply to me on CW. :smith:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I still can't get anyone to reply to me on CW. :smith:

wish you wouldn't reply on SA

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Maybe I'm doing this poo poo wrong or something. I've been sending "CQ" a few times followed by my callsign and then waiting to see if anyone replies. The SWR is 1.5 and I even dug out my grundig receiver to verify that I'm actually radiating.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
band selector in the exciter now works, i decided to mod the old one after looking it over - just required adding some ORing diodes and bridging a few digits on the decade switches

and got the receiver in the mail, it doesn't like travelling, time base drifted by a huge amount compared to where i was before (not perfect but nowhere near as bad as this), but here's a pro tip for adjusting synthesized receivers when all you have is an antenna and a phone:

tune a time station like 10 MHz or 9996 kHz, i used 15 MHz since i can hear my GPSDO output there through the air. tune 1 kHz off in SSB mode
don't use a spectrum analyzer app, the frequency accuracy isn't good enough with real time FFT, instead use a signal generator app to generate a 1 kHz tone
tune carefully, if the volumes are matched the frequencies will beat against each other in your ear, when the frequencies are perfectly matched the beat tone will approach zero

just did that with my receiver and managed to get it within 4-5 Hz by ear (off by 100 Hz initially) without having to break out the frequency counter

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:catstare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-KENWOOD-TH-7-DUAL-BAND-FLIP-FONE-OLD-OFFER-/161784524307?hash=item25ab1bee13

100mw on 2m and 70cm. japan only.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

oh hey, i've got a broken one on my shelf, RF section doesn't work at all

gonna fix it one day

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

im the aol button

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
took my test today, held at a small spare conference room at the hospital. i was, unexpectedly, not the youngest person there, but other than myself and that kid it was a room full of white haired, rapidly greying, or bald white dudes. Our testers were apparently with the fire department. they started off talking about how someone got shot while doing a home invasion today, and "unfortunately" he survived, because taxpayer money.

at any rate, I and another guy were there to do both the tech and general. three other guys just did general. i passed both before the guy sitting next to me (who had been taking the test last session too, apparently failed) could finish his.

so, good times. They did ask if we'd been practice testing on multiple sites... and they pushed the multiple thing several times... but hamstudy and that ARRL started book was all i bothered with and it was fine.

yay me

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
not sure i understand the "multiple sites" thing

it's a single question pool

lol

there's not any variance in the coverage of the questions becasue the questions are the same, documented, and finite

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Sniep posted:

not sure i understand the "multiple sites" thing

it's a single question pool

lol

there's not any variance in the coverage of the questions becasue the questions are the same, documented, and finite

yeah, i wondered about that too. only explanation i could come up with is that they know of someone that hosed up because they were studying on some backwoods barely-known site that hadn't updated questions last time around? there's probably a few like that.

doesn't matter, gently caress them, got mine

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's crazy how there's all that spectrum up here on 10 meters and nobody uses it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

It's crazy how there's all that spectrum up here on 10 meters and nobody uses it.

it's crazy how nobody uses the thing that doesn't work

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
new personal best: 1874 miles with JT65 only running 5W of power :toot:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
awesome. I will be ready to do jt-65 as soon as I figure out why my ptt to serial to USB isn't working. just haven't had time lately

sports
Sep 1, 2012
im an rf engineer IRL

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sports posted:

im an rf engineer IRL

Burn the witch

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

j/k though rf is black magic

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

sports posted:

im an rf engineer IRL

text me

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ham fest tomorrow with jonny290

rear end crack of dawn

just outfitted a backpack with some power to test radios with... lol

perfect fit

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
and now that i have it wired up like this, it'd be a pretty good mobile operating backpack for QRP or something. I mean, that's a decent amount of power there if you blow it 5-10 watts at a time.

the backpack has these soft padded inside compartments too to stuff a radio in

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ham fest results: i found a frequency counter which is what i was looking for the most

and this classic guy to play with:

+a large watt/swr meter for 50-150mhz 20/200w
+a coax crimper with two die sets for most all coax hex crimps

good day for $135, which was a lil more than planned - $60 on the counter but they go for 80+ on ebay for this model, and it is perfect for what i need, so not bad

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That reminded me that we were having the annual one here sometime this month.

Just checked and it was 3 days ago. gently caress :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

That reminded me that we were having the annual one here sometime this month.

Just checked and it was 3 days ago. gently caress :shepface:

that sucks lol

jonny290 and i got to this one 10 minutes before the doors opened and rushed the joint for the first ~1hr it was open, he got a fistful of radios and a swr meter too, but really, there wasnt a whole lot of goodies at this one today here.

• Locked thread