Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Incomplete Fish posted:

For example if you leave the amplifier on and /anywhere/ on the baseband gets a signal louder than -5db youll eventually break an opamp on the board, but you can obviously buy another one from digikey and solder it in. I do not know if any other dongles have this issue.

thats kind of a bummer. i was really interested in getting one. can you turn the amp off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
oh hey, this thread

i finally bought an RF signal generator a few weeks ago, showed up yesterday

Fluke 6060B:

10k-1050MHz, AM/FM, ~+10 - -127dBm guaranteed output level, goes down to at least -135 dB if i ignore the uncal warning

came with the rear connector option, but moving them to the front wasn't really much work.
one button is slow and another has slightly ripped so have to glue the membrane back together

$210 for a fully working 6060B is not bad imo, even with the international shipping on top it's half off the going rate for this model

inside shot from when i moved the connectors:
http://i.imgur.com/NmnnGZC.jpg

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sniep posted:

chs: bought my first scanner-scanner ever

this thing is dank

it can pick up like everything here even the local p25 phase II systems

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 18, 2015

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Korean Boomhauer posted:

thats kind of a bummer. i was really interested in getting one. can you turn the amp off?

yeah you can turn it on an doff through software and it doesnt break instantly if you leave it on by accident; it's just something i wish i knew before i got mine.

imo it's still the best sdr that exists in it's price range and the amplifier won't break if you only use it on the weakest signals. hackrf owns it's just a touchy baby that should have come with slightly better components.

edit: im currently waiting for bad weather to go away so i can erect a gigantic pole and pound some thick rods deep into the earth. i'm gonna put a new dualband 2m/70cm antenna up on like 20 ft of mast along with one of those endfedz HF wire antennas so i can listen to people send beeps and sometimes boops to eachother until I can afford a decent HF transceiver

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 4, 2015

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Went H-A-M (Melbourne florida ham fest) today, passed my general, didn’t pass the extra, studying would probably help

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Sniep posted:

this thing is dank

it can pick up like everything here even the local p25 phase II systems

those things are great when your train is late.

also people on the platforms think you're a cop because all they know are squelch tones.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
so i want to build a ammo can emergency radio, so today I decided to check out the Army surplus store right next to my new house.. place is freakin' huge and was packed when I went earlier today.

...it was so huge that I was in the wrong building at first which explains why it was all clothing, I had to go to the 2nd building to get the actual milsurp stuff... (Note the sign that says Surplus 2 ==>) .. biggest rear end surplus store i've ever been in.

anyway, got my ammo can:

batteries fit amazingly perfect, 12Ah at 12vDC

now I just need to figure out radio, antenna and what external access is needed and possibly a solar charge solution. (Roll-up panel?)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Radio fits perfectly.

Now to make a couple cables to do hookups... and get a 90° coax angle connector to have the antenna feed come out into the tin.

Plenty of room for one notched out -

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
now with actual mounting, drilled holes in side, and bolted poo poo to the can

batteries still loose for now but want to put in a restraining bar, they're not LOOSE but would be nice to have it really be 5 foot drop proof

also bonus stencil spray paint job of death hell gently caress :riker:

looks so prepper tacticlol i fuckin love it

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 18, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
so aside from that, i just bit the bullet on my first HF rig, the FT-dx1200 from Yaesu

I hope it works out

code:
Items Ordered:

qty  order manufact. model      description                 each      ext.
---  ----- --------- ---------- --------------------------  --------- ---------
  1  1200  YAESU     FTDX1200   XCVR HF+6M                   1,399.95  1,399.95
+$300 rebate from Yaesu, so $1100 net cost, for what i've only seen as a v. capable HF rig.

It's time to do this shitttttt

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i was actually eyeballing that particular radio. post post post if its any good

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i was actually eyeballing that particular radio. post post post if its any good

from everything i can tell, it's pretty great.

it's my first HF rig, figured i'd start off with a middlin tier one and just call it good

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
sup

now i need a fuckin antenna lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

unf

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
now I have an antenna :) and a tuner

on each side of hte roof the long way along my ranch, about 45 feet of wire up into this:

then a 4:1 LDG balun on the other wide inside, coax to a better tuner than i could expect the yaesu to have

soooo now i am officially HF enabled!

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
nice job!

i like the window panel a lot, balanced feeder is also definitely the correct way to feed almost all balanced types of antennas that require tuning

gonna take some time to post about my project now, first of all I chose the wrong MCU, second i messed up the DDS interface a bit

this is a frequency converter for my Elektrisk Bureau transmitter, it accepts a 100.1-110 kHz square wave clock that's used for the first upconverting mixer

since the radio only generates USB I need this board to shift the frequency up by 2x the IF going into it, this inverts the sideband without affecting the AF quality, output range is then 140.1-150 kHz
it's also supposed to have a switch to turn IF shift on/off, and it needs to detect loss of input and shut down its own output

signal generation is done with a AD9833 DDS module sub-board, this jitters like crazy on the square wave output, using it is a terrible idea for this DDS generator and I should have included an anti alias filter and a high speed comparator to square up the sine output instead
fortunately the jitter sidebands fall outside the AF passband at low output frequencies, so not a huge deal for this project

what is super annoying is that the atTiny261A MCU i chose has 1) 128 bytes of SRAM and 2k of ROM, i can just about squeeze in the basic functionality but the ADC input to support analog fine tuning will have to be left out
2) a joke of an SPI module, it's a shift register you have to clock from software, just barely quicker than pure software SPI

definitely steering clear of atTinys for my future projects of this scale, atMega or larger, and gonna have to pay a lot more attention to RAM/ROM sizes in the future. atXMegas look pretty decent, some kind of 8/16 bit hybrid (8-bit core with instructions for working on 16-bit values?)

good news is I tested it in-radio last night and it works, so i just need a shielded box and some appropriate cable harnesses to finish it up

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
word!

my FFT-1 board showed up

time to plug this poo poo in and get some realtime spectrum visualization

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Delurking, posting, wishing you all well. im being a dick and posting somebody else's antenna farm because he hasnt yet lol

check out sniep's badass rotator and 6m moxon and that beautiful pic. dudes got a proper fuckin Station now :D i've been popping over now and then to lend a hand

hope you guys are doing great and having fun burning yourself on the wrong end of the soldering iron. i rebuilt all my antenna farm and camo painted it, i will post pics next time i slither by. there are a couple good new satellites up that ive been trying to work.

dit dit

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
welcome back! i really like the idea of a portable radio like whot sniep has been doing.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Korean Boomhauer posted:

welcome back! i really like the idea of a portable radio like whot sniep has been doing.

ya that's be done, it's just up on a shelf for now as a decoration basically

ill drag it out for a field day for the kids or soemthing at some point

but yeah getting that antenna setup done was my recent thing, so now i got that 6m directional i can aim

hopefully theres some openings

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i pretty much live in a hole and the repeater is blocked by development at the top of the hill so i dont know what i gotta do antennawise to hit the repeater now

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
xpost from hobby thread

step 1 to setting up an APRS WX beacon - the WX sensor

step 1 is complete

step 2 would be the TNC, and I got that.

step 3 is the radio and antenna, and im getting the radio and i have the antenna i just need to put it up, cable it, then...

step 4- some programming glue in the middle to set the beacons to the TNC and push them out!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

xpost from hobby thread

step 1 to setting up an APRS WX beacon - the WX sensor

step 1 is complete

step 2 would be the TNC, and I got that.

step 3 is the radio and antenna, and im getting the radio and i have the antenna i just need to put it up, cable it, then...

step 4- some programming glue in the middle to set the beacons to the TNC and push them out!

what weather station is this?

I want to replace the junk I've got now since the receiver unit crashes when my raspberry pi is reading data at the same time it's getting data from the sensors.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

manero posted:

what weather station is this?

I want to replace the junk I've got now since the receiver unit crashes when my raspberry pi is reading data at the same time it's getting data from the sensors.

middlin tier acurite pro setup

e: specifically this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011VG6XTI

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 20, 2015

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

middlin tier acurite pro setup

e: specifically this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011VG6XTI

Awesome. How are you going to get the data off it?

My receivers are plugged into a raspberry pi and I use weewx to upload to CWOP, Weather Underground, and APRS-IS, but the displays have been super janky. This might be within my price range!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

manero posted:

Awesome. How are you going to get the data off it?

My receivers are plugged into a raspberry pi and I use weewx to upload to CWOP, Weather Underground, and APRS-IS, but the displays have been super janky. This might be within my price range!

The black unit with the antenna that looks like a wifi (its not) is actually like a sensor but that hooks into ethernet and uploads all that poo poo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What do those things do for power?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Progressive JPEG posted:

What do those things do for power?

the sensor outdoors runs off 4x AA batteries. It's supposed to get pretty good life, not sure in practice tho.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Sniep posted:

the sensor outdoors runs off 4x AA batteries. It's supposed to get pretty good life, not sure in practice tho.

we have a way-lower-end one that does wind, temp, pressure, etc., then radios it to a small display in the house. lasts for two years on 4xAA easily.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
bumping this thread to report my first mobile hf qso. good poo poo. ignition noise is a [gendered insult].

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
one more antenna to go up on the top of the roof tomorrow or some time

1/4 2m arrow .. something to dedicate to packet 24/7 and leave my x200 for voice use

it's a tad bit burly, all solid (that's not aluminum tubes, its aluminum cylinders)

the main antenna mount to the antenna is solid copper too

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
wheeeee i got my first out of state contact... 6m e-skip contact up in EN51. (DM79 here)

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
just built my own janky-rear end quarter wave ground plane antenna. need to figure out how/where to mount it and how to go about getting a wire run from wherever it is to my office, though for now even hanging up indoors it's helping reception a hell of a lot.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sniep posted:

wheeeee i got my first out of state contact... 6m e-skip contact up in EN51. (DM79 here)

annnnd i just got my first DX, in Canada, Hi Dale thanks for the QSO.. QSL card incoming.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
http://hackaday.com/2016/01/19/shmoocon-2016-reverse-engineering-cheap-chinese-radio-firmware/

Probably going to pick up one of these since the new radios from Connect Systems are taking forever to get out the door. DMR's looking super rad

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
sweet, I was thinking of buying the MD-380 just for a laugh, but then i already have a DP-770

even without adding things like D-Star or the Yaesu system, just making a DMR firmware with keypad programming would make it super useful

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

i bought a shortwave radio for myself it couldnt pick up anything not even havana... i returned it...

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

i didnt want to go through the effort of making an antenna or whatever im not all about that... i just thought it was stupid that gave the radio and they didnt even recommend making an outdoor antenna or whatever... :/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cannae change the laws of physics, captain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Mapparu posted:

i didnt want to go through the effort of making an antenna or whatever im not all about that... i just thought it was stupid that gave the radio and they didnt even recommend making an outdoor antenna or whatever... :/

all you gotta do is get a really long wire and wrap it around a tree far away from you and then connect to the antenna that's on it.

it just takes a long piece of metal, precise length doesnt really matter just as long as you can get it

• Locked thread