Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

Let me tell you all about the philosophy of the buttcam

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...ttoWhatsNewsTop

quote:

SUBALPUR, India—When the elders in this small Hindu farming village discovered last month that a local woman intended to marry a Muslim, their reaction was swift and savage.

The village chief and 12 others dragged the 20-year-old woman to a shed and gang-raped her, the local police allege. She and her suitor were then tied to a tree overnight, witnesses say, and the village council fined them the next day.

Such rough justice is common across wide swaths of rural India, where local leaders often ignore the law to enforce traditional social norms that run counter to more-liberal views now gaining ground in India's cities.

More than a year after the December 2012 fatal gang surprise sex of a student on a New Delhi bus, which shocked India and drew global attention, the Subalpur case shows the limits of new legislation aimed at protecting women in the face of deep cultural resistance.

The woman reported the gang surprise sex to police. Her alleged attackers—their lawyer says they are innocent—are in jail. Still, her family fears retaliation from villagers. "Her entire life has been ruined," her mother says. "Maybe the best thing to do was to keep quiet."

For hundreds of millions of women in India's impoverished countryside, conservative local leaders and informal village councils have long dictated everything from whom they can marry to what they can wear.

These informal councils, which are separate from state-sanctioned local governments, can't legally rule on village disputes or other matters of law. But the penalties they illegally impose can range from fines and ostracism to forced marriage, surprise sex and death.

"Urban India is changing. But our villages remain centuries behind," says Shamina Shafiq, a member of India's National Commission for Women. Local councils are "one of the biggest stumbling blocks in the road to progress for women."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

i thought the hindu poonjab were supposed to be better than the musselman.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Consent?

Parallax Scroll
Nov 13, 2009

spiderman

india doing what it does best

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

india doing what it does best

Provoking and losing war with China?

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

So can they get married now or what

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Yup.

rural hicks are assholes no matter what country you're in, more news at 11

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

We must stop this insanity

we must destroy israel

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

Let me tell you all about the philosophy of the buttcam

Crewmine posted:

we must destroy israel

quote:

When the elders in this small Jewish farming village discovered last month that a local woman intended to marry a Muslim, their reaction was swift and savage

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

on a rock or something

like for real though why does it always gotta be surprise sex

why can't it just be stones or whips, does the fuckshit council just go "well, as we know brothers, the tradition states the perpetrator must be gang-raped as foretold in the stories"

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

I thought this was a repost, but nope multiple women got gang-raped because her village elders disproved of her fiance.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

i didnt think hinduism promoted surprise sex then i looked it up lmao

but of course its just one of the lovely parts, like you could find in other religions holy books

Relin fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2014 around 21:56

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

Woman is the friend of the family of the world
Think about it, do something about it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011
Tell me to shut the fuck up.

recolonize

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

The wouldn't have happened if the British parliament was still in control.

brave nazi aviator
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Borneo Jimmy posted:

When the elders in this small Jewish farming village discovered last month that a local woman intended to marry a Muslim, their reaction was swift and savage

daniel 13 "Susanna and the Elders"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

how much was the fine

Cream_Filling
Sep 11, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT RACISM BECAUSE I KNOW A WHOLE LOT MORE ABOUT THEM COLOREDS THAN YOU

This exact same article was already posted like two weeks ago

even as an rss gbs is bad

Cream_Filling
Sep 11, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT RACISM BECAUSE I KNOW A WHOLE LOT MORE ABOUT THEM COLOREDS THAN YOU

Crewmine posted:

we must destroy israel

Parallax Scroll
Nov 13, 2009

spiderman

Cream_Filling posted:

This exact same article was already posted like two weeks ago

even as an rss gbs is bad

no it happened again

Rubbergoose
Jul 13, 2006

yes, but would you care to contribute some sort of original thought or opinion on the matter, OP?

runupon cracker
Jan 13, 2006

This will hurt me more than it hurts you.

I've never been sadder about guessing right

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

This is how anarcho-communism will turn out for us

Cream_Filling
Sep 11, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

no it happened again

"last month"

jiharlequinade
Jun 4, 2009

Lonely Virgil posted:

I thought this was a repost, but nope multiple women got gang-raped because her village elders disproved of her fiance.

Me, too. Jesus gently caress.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

Malinois posted:

So can they get married now or what

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Relin posted:

but of course its just one of the lovely parts, like you could find in other religions holy books

I don't know how cherry picked this quote is but the first stuff I found typing surprise sex+ hinduism into google...

"In the Brhadārankyaka Upanishad scripture(advocating surprise sex):Surely, a woman who has changed her clothes at the end of her menstrual period is the most auspicious of women. When she has changed her clothes at the end of her menstrual period, therefore, one should approach that splendid woman and invite her to have sex. Should she refuse to consent, he should bribe her. If she still refuses, he should beat her with a stick or with his fists and overpower her, saying: “I take away the splendor from you with my virility and splendor (6.4.9,21)"

"In the Smriti(method of turning women back to virgins):"A woman who has been unchaste should worship Siva in his calm aspect, Siva who is Kama. Then she should summon a Brahmin and give herself to him, thinking, 'This is Kama who has come for the sake of sexual pleasure.' Andwhatever the Brahmin wishes, the sensuous woman should do. For thirteen months she should honour in this way any Brahmin who comes to the house for the sake of sexual pleasures, and there is no immorality in this for noble ladies or prostitutes." -- Matsya Purana 70:40-60; cf. Mahabharata III:2:23."

I always thought Hinduism was pretty chill compered to other religions but I guess their all pretty lovely in part.

More worrying is that my girlfriends family are mainly Hindu...

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Did she at least make her rapists use protection? Kind of lovely if she didn't.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

In India, the whole village gets the right of prima nocta.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

drak cornfields of the earht, my dearest moths

Where can I post to stop this ?

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

"In the Smriti(method of turning women back to virgins):"A woman who has been unchaste should worship Siva in his calm aspect, Siva who is Kama. Then she should summon a Brahmin and give herself to him, thinking, 'This is Kama who has come for the sake of sexual pleasure.' Andwhatever the Brahmin wishes, the sensuous woman should do. For thirteen months she should honour in this way any Brahmin who comes to the house for the sake of sexual pleasures, and there is no immorality in this for noble ladies or prostitutes." -- Matsya Purana 70:40-60; cf. Mahabharata III:2:23."

You just know the dude who wrote this felt really smug about it for the rest of his life.

Yellow Jackson
Jan 13, 2013

by Ralp

Borneo Jimmy posted:

the village council fined them the next day.

That seems a little harsh.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Does the fine mention the gang surprise sex? Is it like a ticket that everyone participating in signed, saying that proper justice was served or what

Fallom
Sep 6, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

lol yeah i remember when i stopped to get gas in west virginia and got gang raped by the entire town

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003

All right, all right, spare me your life's story.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ahahahahahahaha.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Relin posted:

You see it happened because she wanted to marry a Muslim

Therefore Islam evil for forcing honest men to do bad things.

Kill Pakistani dog

Fallom posted:

lol yeah i remember when i stopped to get gas in west virginia and got gang raped by the entire town
Turns out it was a fluke - those bastards didn't even look at me on any of my repeat trips.

HERMAPHRODITE JESUS
Apr 21, 2010

maybe she should stick around and find out who TRUELY loves her. rather than surprise sex somebody

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

dude. ??????

Node
May 20, 2001

G.I. Jaw posted:

Did she at least make her rapists use protection? Kind of lovely if she didn't.

Yeah that's just loving inconsiderate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003

All right, all right, spare me your life's story.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My girlfriend is from a town of 2,700 people. Can you ballpark how many times she has been raped?

Oh gently caress, she's now dating me from the big city. Next time she goes back... She's... She's going to be raped, isn't she?!

«8 »