Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

this thread...it was made for me

i really like scary stuff and i read something like 300 pages a day but i have sadly run out of good horror novels to read. i just finished doctor sleep by stephen king it was um...different. it was seriously like reading some ridiculous fan fiction of the shining except that right there on the cover, stephen king. i usually really like king's work so it was weird to read such a mediocre-bad novel from him. so who are some other good horror authors folks? i've read just about everything king has written, also his son joe hills stuff, i've read all of the books of blood by clive barker and i've read some peter straub. i am looking for longer novels than short story collections currently but i also really like short stories so i won't say no if someone suggests a really good horror anthology. i also really like crime novels or true crime about serial killers, as hosed up of a hobby as it is, abnormal psychology is really interesting to me.

tl;dr whats some good scary books bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

escape from camp jellyjam

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

your posting history

now that that's out of the way thomas ligotti is pretty good

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

okay i guess i should have specified i read most of the goosebumps books when i was like 8-11 i meant real adult books, i know the concept is shocking to many here

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

Monsterblood II.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Goosebumps is the best horror series you idgit, it scared me so much I had to hide in my parent's bed.
http://rlstine.com/bookshelf/?series=goosebumps#top

The Silver Snail
Apr 2, 2010

BEHOLD AND WEEP

Do Japanese mangas count

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Torka posted:

your posting history

now that that's out of the way thomas ligotti is pretty good

okay thank you i will look him up. and my posting history is more like a weird psychedelic but ultimately very sad novel than anything. i would liken it to maybe number9dream if it was about an even lonelier loser.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sarah palin book!!!!!!

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

after you're finished with the book, the horror of having purchased a gimmicky piece of poo poo for $40 will set in

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

atlas shrugged

mookface
Jun 7, 2009

Diane! I'm holding in my hand a box of small chocolate bunnies.

Not so much a horror novel per se but Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy made me feel horrified and disgusted by the human race moreso than anything else I have ever read.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

sarah palin book!!!!!!

i really like your new av synthy

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Online Encyclopedia

The Mothman Prophecies book creeped the hell out of me

If you want serial-killer books, Otto's Boy is pretty neat, so is Swastika.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

okay thank you i will look him up. and my posting history is more like a weird psychedelic but ultimately very sad novel than anything. i would liken it to maybe number9dream if it was about an even lonelier loser.

check out some of his short stories first to see if you like his style. he's one of those horror authors who creates a really creepy atmosphere rather than having specific frightening things happen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Ligotti

Torka fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2014 around 01:02

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

If you like abnormal psych stuff, "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr is a pretty great read.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Tsinava posted:

after you're finished with the book, the horror of having purchased a gimmicky piece of poo poo for $40 will set in

you didn't buy used because...?

circ dick soleil
Sep 26, 2012

illestG posted:

escape from camp jellyjam

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

The King In Yellow

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

December Octopodes posted:

you didn't buy used because...?

my friend gave me his copy in disgust, i gave it to someone else in the same manner.

it was a "look at how terrible this is" sort of thing

circ dick soleil
Sep 26, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

sarah palin book!!!!!!

I really like your new av.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Goodnight Moon

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

i feel like some of you arent taking my request seriously

Schisser
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"

Tsinava posted:

Haam
Jun 28, 2011

i remember the 2 dean koontz books with the XP guy being ok, but i read them when i was 15 so idk if they're actually scary

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

i just got a book by robert r mccammon he's supposed to be good i will report back to you if it is good

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Haam posted:

i remember the 2 dean koontz books with the XP guy being ok, but i read them when i was 15 so idk if they're actually scary

dean koontz describes poo poo in so much detail and it drives me insane because i dont visualize things well, i just read words, so he spends like 3 pages explaining how some lovely train car looks and its like i get it its a loving train car will you get to things that arent lists of adjectives soon please rear end in a top hat

community ham boil
Nov 6, 2012

the universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

the road and the metamorphosis both really got to me in horrible bleak ways that no other book ever has but maybe im just a huge baby

blindness by jose saramago is good too

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

The King In Yellow

and it is free http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8492

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hailing frequencies

I know it's not a horror novel by definition, but I find 1984 terrifying. The entire book is suffocating, like being buried alive. As we watch parts of the book play out in real life over time, I can feel the terror of the book creeping into my very soul.

Does everyone have to read 1984 in high school? Does anyone read it anymore?

Haam
Jun 28, 2011

people read animal farm in high school instead

Yivgev
May 18, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

The King In Yellow

came here to post this

also, The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

redshirt posted:

I know it's not a horror novel by definition, but I find 1984 terrifying. The entire book is suffocating, like being buried alive.

yeah I remember whenever I put the book down I felt a powerful sense of relief that it wasn't real

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

redshirt posted:

I know it's not a horror novel by definition, but I find 1984 terrifying. The entire book is suffocating, like being buried alive. As we watch parts of the book play out in real life over time, I can feel the terror of the book creeping into my very soul.

Does everyone have to read 1984 in high school? Does anyone read it anymore?

it wasnt on our school curriculum but i own a copy of it and i agree completely it is super creepy. the worst part is how much of that kind of stuff is going on nowadays. obviously we dont have newspeak and whatnot but big brother exists and is terifiying.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Carmilla for 19th century lesbian vampires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmilla

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Here I post;
I can do no other.

It might not be quite what you're lookin for OP, but have you considered A Song of Goose and Bumps, by George R.L. Stine??

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Bible

community ham boil
Nov 6, 2012

the universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It might not be quite what you're lookin for OP, but have you considered A Song of Goose and Bumps, by George R.L. Stine??

particularly of the 'choose your own adventure' variety as it makes the horror feel that much more real

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.

Intensity by Dean Koontz

You can abridge it by skipping over large swaths of paragraphs and reduce the Dean Koontzyness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

IT and The Stand by Stephen King

say what you want he was the king of horror in the late 70s and 80s

«3 »