Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

She's so bizzare, one Z isn't enough!

Also nthing the hate for the new cinematography. Gordon is a handsome man but I don't need this minimalist filter model portfolio poo poo in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I find myself rooting for Paulie because he looks almost exactly like one of my friends.

I'm rooting for Ramsay to eliminate all of them, and then eliminate the casting director for this season. And then go home and make news seasons of Kitchen Nightmares UK

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm excited for the next episode where he appears to yell at the children.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

cool new Polack jokes posted:

HK previews are even better. 90% of what's implied to happen, doesn't.

Every episode claims to have hot flirtation action and at least one suicide by kitchen knife. Almost entirely the reason I still watch is the magic those editors can make with a few wacky sound effects and adobe filters.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

My favorite moment of 24 Hours to Hell is when the ticking clock that cannot be stopped...was stopped. Cause Gordon said “Hey stop the clock” and they did.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Next weeks preview didn’t suggest any family stuff (maybe the crying in the shower lady is the owners wife tho) so I’m vaguely enthusiastic. It’s much better when it’s just some rear end in a top hat with employees he’s not related to.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It didn’t even really need the redesign tbh

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ballz posted:

Maybe it's because I go back to thinking of Kitchen Nightmares, but I am actually surprised we don't have more "failure" updates like this one.

Like seriously, a day with Ramsay's home-spun wisdom and cleaning the gently caress out of the kitchen is all these restaurants ever seem to need to completely turn their business around?

I seem to notice in the “successful” updates that it’s almost entirely FaceTime footage of the owner saying “things are great :cheers:“ interspersed with footage that was clearly shot during the reopening night and not any actual subsequent dinner services.

All that just to say I’m not convinced he’s successful as often as we’re led to believe :tinfoil:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Did anybody manage to watch that entire Twenty Four Hours To Hell And Back: Save Our City: Flood Edition cause gently caress me I couldn’t do it

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Just finished episode 5 tonight.

What is it with multiple people this season just giving up?

"Are you the better chef?" "No."

"Who here has what it takes to be head chef?" "Not me."

Gordon: I appreciate your honesty, here’s a black jacket young man

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't know, I haven't rewatched anything. But it's almost just typical Hell's Kitchen, the women come in strong for the first few weeks while the men are unable to do anything. Then the women fall apart and start fighting and the men come together and start working together... And then we all wonder why after 20 seasons and in 2021 do they still divide the teams by sex anyway?

They divided the teams by ethnicity one time but Fox got cold feet and decided not to air it despite filming the entire season

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Joseph got sunk by the lady who should’ve gone home already and who ends up going home the following episode anyway.

Justice 4 Joseph

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If Steve was in the final do they do the drug bust skit? I hope not.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It is SO exciting that the level they get is entirely random. Love that. God forbid the show opens with one chef from each team making a dish in the middle kitchen, and then the kitchens are assigned by how those dishes are judged. That would add much unneeded tension.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

It only gets worse. I always get a kick out of them pretending someone is about to die in the next episode and it’s just them having heartburn or something.

“ambulance_siren01.wav” is the trademark sound of a Hell’s Kitchen preview. Easily the best part of any episode is the preview for the next one.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

He came from a background of food scarcity so maaaaaaybe he thought “why waste it if it’s being seared or going in the oven?”

He at least should’ve tried that excuse lol

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

He should’ve said “come on it’s the coast guard”

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Every single team having raw dough on their wellingtons was pretty funny

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I still really miss the old format of two cooking segments per episode. The team challenge episodes feel especially glacially paced when they drag them out to a full hour.

At least analyze each dish if you’re gonna do that. A contestant, especially early on, will make an entire dish that is barely even on camera if they don’t make top or bottom 3. Seems dumb.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Thank god it’s not boys vs. girls finally

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ilmucche posted:

second episode of the new season of hell's kitchen. I can respect zeus checking out when he realised it wasn't for him.

Yeah it was either he leaves on his own terms or Gordon rips him a new rear end in a top hat and eliminates him during a service, smart move imo

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Super nice guy too, happy he won

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Calvinball Kitchen

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Next Level Chef is such a weird show because it feels like they want it to be carried on the core platform gimmick and that just doesn't work.

And the whole "teams" thing is the stupidest bullshit. Doubly hilarious as the three hosts try to make it seem like they actually give a poo poo about the the "teams."

When the added the "time token" and broke up the teams, that's when the show felt the strongest to me.

I don't think that Next Level Chef is unsalvageable, but I think S3 needs some tweaks because S2 felt just as weak as S1.

1 - Get rid of teams. They're stupid. There is no "team" aspect to it. Emphasize the "everyone out for themselves" aspect.
2 - Lock the judges to kitchens. Nyesha on the top floor. Gordon on the middle floor. Richard on the bottom floor.
3 - The time token rules. Keep that.
4 - 1/3 of the remaining chefs should be in the elimination. Head-to-head is boring.
5 - Do more cooks like when they had to pick fish and the entire floor had to cook the same fish.

Episodes should flow like this:
- Everyone has their assigned kitchens (however they do at the start, or from the previous episode.) They do their first dish. Whoever has the time token uses it on themselves or another person.
- The best dish saves everyone in their kitchen. They all move to the top floor next week.
- Of the remaining chefs, half get sent to elimination. The other half will be in middle kitchen next week.
- Whoever survives elimination is cooking in bottom kitchen next week.

It's not a massive overhaul of the show, but I think it would be a better flow.

Time token is okay but a “Swap token” would be cool too.

After the ingredients scramble you can use the swap token to taken any ingredient from any other player on your level and give them something from your stash. Use it when you have bad luck on the grab (forgot a starch!) or if you see something that would make your intended dish much better.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Two week break already. Fox sucks so much. Even dumber for Masterchef, did the 1st episode after the 4 loving episode audition that was all spoiled by the season preview, in the first 30 seconds of the season. :lol:

Also funny Gordon is bringing the Next Level Chef team immunity gimmick to Masterchef.

Leave him alone he just started watching Survivor

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Scrotum Modem posted:

lol @ re(noun)

*lists a bunch of verbs starting with re*

re(verb) would be a terrible name as well and not make sense for a wine name in my opinion (I guess I'm looking for a dual meaning in "reverb" regarding wine since I immediately think of that audio-related word , and not finding a good one), but it would at least be consistent with the other re- words on the wine label

e: reverb of a clinking wine glass? eh, not good enough

reWined was right there

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

This American dream poo poo is gonna get old fast. And by fast I mean it is already old.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A Real Horse posted:

That final line from Ramsey for Tad was the most brutal one I can remember, I was laughing pretty drat hard after it.

I completely forgot about the quidditch thing and just assumed “you want a broom?” was some British slang for “go gently caress yourself”

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Shrimpy posted:

I like how Hell's Kitchen isn't even trying on the rewards anymore.

Axe Throwing! Bubble Soccer! Dave and Busters!

In a few seasons it’s gonna be a pizza party in the dorms. Probably Papa John’s.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Leigh hosed up too many times during the first black jacket service and forced Gordon’s hand. Dahmere going home was bizarre though, don’t really get that one

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

According to the chyrons Wendy on NLC is from Sunnydale, California which is a very lovely and very fictional town from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (they mean Sunnyvale I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like every time there is a new season of Next Level Chef, we all come back here to talk about what a missed opportunity the show is.

imho, it is the worst Gordon Ramsay show. But like other's said - I'll keep watching this poo poo.

The "team" concept is so bad and unnecessary. Just assign each judge a kitchen. Arrington gets top kitchen. Ramsay in middle. Blais The Youth Paster in the basement. Top 1/3 of dishes go to top kitchen. Bottom 1/3 of dishes got to elimination. No teams. Every person for themselves. This also eliminates the problem of "whichever team going into elimination has the most people will have their person sent home."

Alternatively, start going bonkers with "power-ups." The immunity pins are dumb since 1/3 of the players get immunity every week. Turn this into Mario Kart. "You have a power-up that gives you an extra 10 seconds on the grab." "You have a power-up that cuts another person's grab time in half." "You have a power-up that lets you kick another player down a level." poo poo like that. And don't let the people hold onto them. They get them one week and have to use them the next week.

I think I find Next Level Chef so infuriating because the base concept is so good but they do nothing with it. Fox! Hire me as a producer. I'll spice that poo poo up.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. But if they’re gonna keep the teams thing, for the love of GOD have a guest judge decide the winner! Makes no sense for the team captains to judge dishes when they have an obvious bias.