Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Red posted:

So something I brought up earlier:

I have a ton of old "flying" Heroclix - that is, I have plenty of old clix that are on those pedestals, that can be separated, and have a little slider to indicate if they were grounded or soaring, or whatever the rules were back then.

So I've asked about them before, and the answer was "Still playable, much less useful.".

Can anyone expand on older clix? I have a bunch, but it's a pain in the rear end to have to color-match using the PAC, and it's even more of a pain in the rear end to match a miniature to the right dial. Do you guys mix them in for casual play, or do any translate well to competitive play (where allowed)?

First, I'll say that the sooner you memorize PAC colors the better. We all had to do it before cards and once you know what color in what slot corresponds to what power, your games will be much smoother. I learned it cold within 6 months at most— I don't remember exactly because I've been playing for over 9 years now. That said, to this day, some of the older figures still hold up. Vet (red-ringed) Shi and any level of Johnny Alpha are still kick-rear end figures, especially Johnny Alpha. V Abby Chase is also a decent harasser, with Stealth, EE (an 8 AV, though) and Outwit with the Danger Girl TA (Skrull equivalent) for 52 points. The Unique of her doesn't have EE but has the Dolphin Speed symbol instead, so she can be slightly more mobile but also costs 54 points.

Collateral Damage had a figure from a now-defunct program called New Guy Night of Superman with the Batman Ally TA. He couldn't bust Stealth because figures only had one TA in those days, but he's still boss, especially if you throw the Utility Belt on him with the Batman Cowl. The V Green Lantern and LE Kyle Rayner (also from Collateral Damage) still hold up, with the Vet starting with 12 Running Shot/10 TK/18 Barrier/3 RCE with a 12 Range and Green Lantern TA for 167 points. The LE is 10/10/18/4 with RS/EE/Barrier/Perplex and a 10 Range with JLA TA for 135. I should note that Collateral Damage was the first set where our own Seth Johnson— a.k.a. Inkslinger— started to influence design, making figures not quite so top-heavy as they had been.

If you can get the Green Lantern collector's set (sadly, like the Invincible and 2099 collector's sets and the Danger Room starter, the figures were glued into their flight stands for presentation's sake), do so. I've used Tomar Re within the last few months because he also boasts a whopping 12 Range with EE and Enhancement, which I think is the most they've ever given to a non-colossal character. Supernova had a couple beasts, like the V Kang the Conqueror at 199 points, who drops like a rock defensively but hits hard for most of his dial. I'll also still use the Black Knight out of Fantastic Forces for a carrier/meat shield (he's a flying double-based Transporter) and the Songbird out of that set isn't bad either. The V Green Goblin/LE Norman Osborn and V Human Torch are also nothing to sneeze at, though they're easy to hit and will crumple much more quickly than newer figures. The LE Cain Marko is also a mean as Hell version of Juggernaut, though he doesn't address your issue about flyers with flight stands.

Don't discount pre-carded figures just because they're old and you have to learn what the colors in the slots correspond to without referring to a card. Some of them are still viable when the build allows, especially cheap single-purpose utility figures like Destiny or Con Artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.

ManiacClown posted:

I agree. That Science Police Officer is worth breaking theme (mechanically speaking) for that ridiculous power. I just bought 3 on eBay for $1 apiece and I have a fourth coming in my CUR set. In a large game I'll gladly spend 180 points on "Oh, you used Running Shot? Eat 4 unavoidable."

The Police Officer has the "future" keyword, as does everybody else in this team. Wouldn't my team be named as "Future" themed team and get the benefit? I'm actually a little shaky on the themed team rules.

Edit: Wait, "Future" is a generic keyword, so I guess I'd need six characters with it in a 400 point team. drat.

Captain Satire fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 6, 2014

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

What I liked about the old flight stand characters was that you could switch sculpts if you thought one sucked. So whenever I played the great Green Lantern dials (which were inevitably Hal Jordan dials, who I think is a douche), I could always have them be John Stewart dials instead, because they just said Green Lantern on them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ManiacClown posted:

First, I'll say that the sooner you memorize PAC colors the better. We all had to do it before cards and once you know what color in what slot corresponds to what power, your games will be much smoother. I learned it cold within 6 months at most— I don't remember exactly because I've been playing for over 9 years now.

I know, but I consider myself a casual player (never played at a tournament once). I think I've remembered specific clix's abilities more than colors on the PAC.

quote:

That said, to this day, some of the older figures still hold up. Vet (red-ringed) Shi and any level of Johnny Alpha are still kick-rear end figures, especially Johnny Alpha. V Abby Chase is also a decent harasser, with Stealth, EE (an 8 AV, though) and Outwit with the Danger Girl TA (Skrull equivalent) for 52 points. The Unique of her doesn't have EE but has the Dolphin Speed symbol instead, so she can be slightly more mobile but also costs 54 points.

Collateral Damage had a figure from a now-defunct program called New Guy Night of Superman with the Batman Ally TA. He couldn't bust Stealth because figures only had one TA in those days, but he's still boss, especially if you throw the Utility Belt on him with the Batman Cowl. The V Green Lantern and LE Kyle Rayner (also from Collateral Damage) still hold up, with the Vet starting with 12 Running Shot/10 TK/18 Barrier/3 RCE with a 12 Range and Green Lantern TA for 167 points. The LE is 10/10/18/4 with RS/EE/Barrier/Perplex and a 10 Range with JLA TA for 135. I should note that Collateral Damage was the first set where our own Seth Johnson— a.k.a. Inkslinger— started to influence design, making figures not quite so top-heavy as they had been.

If you can get the Green Lantern collector's set (sadly, like the Invincible and 2099 collector's sets and the Danger Room starter, the figures were glued into their flight stands for presentation's sake), do so. I've used Tomar Re within the last few months because he also boasts a whopping 12 Range with EE and Enhancement, which I think is the most they've ever given to a non-colossal character. Supernova had a couple beasts, like the V Kang the Conqueror at 199 points, who drops like a rock defensively but hits hard for most of his dial. I'll also still use the Black Knight out of Fantastic Forces for a carrier/meat shield (he's a flying double-based Transporter) and the Songbird out of that set isn't bad either. The V Green Goblin/LE Norman Osborn and V Human Torch are also nothing to sneeze at, though they're easy to hit and will crumple much more quickly than newer figures. The LE Cain Marko is also a mean as Hell version of Juggernaut, though he doesn't address your issue about flyers with flight stands.

Don't discount pre-carded figures just because they're old and you have to learn what the colors in the slots correspond to without referring to a card. Some of them are still viable when the build allows, especially cheap single-purpose utility figures like Destiny or Con Artists.

I've always tossed in the really low-level cost generic clix like Con Artists and Thugs, and Destiny was always an inclusion when possible - I'm glad she's being re-released.

But, to be honest, I do try to plug in my favorites. Years ago, I bought a Junkpile clix on eBay that is a great sculpt, and probably isn't going to be re-done any time soon. (Speaking of which, a lot of my vague wishlist guys like Thermite, Destroyer, and Maggott haven't been done yet.)

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Satire posted:

The Police Officer has the "future" keyword, as does everybody else in this team. Wouldn't my team be named as "Future" themed team and get the benefit? I'm actually a little shaky on the themed team rules.

Edit: Wait, "Future" is a generic keyword, so I guess I'd need six characters with it in a 400 point team. drat.

Yeah, when I was looking over your team, I was thinking of ways to see if I could drum up theme, but not at that point value. I wouldn't fuss it, though, because the Science Cop is totally worth not being themed, and Glorith is giving you prob, which is one of the primary reasons you want to go themed. You might wind up losing map roll more often than not, but that team is good enough that I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Really difficult trying to learn this game. I've read the core rulebook twice and I can't manage to get through a match (against myself) without getting incredibly frustrated. I have so many questions that I don't even know where to start. I'm gonna just go to my local comic book store and watch some players play and ask them questions as they arise. I'm just really bad at learning by reading, I need to see it in action. I've looked through youtube for tutorial videos and matches being played, but nothing has really jumped out at me as helpful. gently caress :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Seymour Butts posted:

Really difficult trying to learn this game. I've read the core rulebook twice and I can't manage to get through a match (against myself) without getting incredibly frustrated. I have so many questions that I don't even know where to start. I'm gonna just go to my local comic book store and watch some players play and ask them questions as they arise. I'm just really bad at learning by reading, I need to see it in action. I've looked through youtube for tutorial videos and matches being played, but nothing has really jumped out at me as helpful. gently caress :(

Back in 2002, a friend of mine heard about a miniatures game coming soon called Heroclix. He asked his local shop for a booster pack. A month later, the comic shop called to say his box had arrived. Meaning: The comic shop ordered him a case. My friend felt bad about the mis-communication, and bought the whole thing. Fast-forward a week, and he bribed me into playing with free beer. Fast forward a year, and I had my own little collection, and bribed my friends into playing with beer.

As long as you have a few drinks and folks to play with, you learn by figuring out the rules through trial and error, inviting some friends (hopefully some of them have played before), and just winging it.

I've learned the most by just sloughing through a game (repetition is what teaches you) holding the rulebook, and reading this thread/HC Realms/Heroclixworld.

I think it was easier to learn by playing teams with low point totals, with a really basic (starter) map. You can learn the basics, and pick up the complicated stuff later. I got the wife to play once, and she was fine with letting me read the rules/abilities/etc. I can't imagine trying to keep everything straight by playing against myself.

Edit: VVVVV You should take him up on that offer. VVVVV

Red fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 6, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey dude. Do you have a computer with Skype? Do you have a map I also own? I will happily play a teaching game against you over skype. I promise only to use the Legion of Doom.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

Hey dude. Do you have a computer with Skype? Do you have a map I also own? I will happily play a teaching game against you over skype. I promise only to use the Legion of Doom.

Seymour Butts, you really, really should take him up on this. This is the World Champion offering to teach you. Buy a webcam and get the Fast Forces Legion of Doom so you have the same map he does if you need to do either.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The repeat and defending World Champ, no less. It's no exaggeration to call Morand the best HeroClix player in the world.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, that's an opportunity you seriously should have to pay money for.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

I'd love to get in on this group chat thing.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Wow, I love being a goon :3:

Unfortunately, I am using a lovely chromebook for all my internet browsing needs, and Skype is not supported (at least to my knowledge). I can't express enough how awesome it is that the two time defending champ is offering to personally teach me the game. Really, when I read the OP's post from the last Heroclix thread I was loving stoked to learn that the best player in the world was a member of SA. Hopefully, someone else who is brand new to the game can take you up on the offer and that video can be made available to everyone who is currently in my predicament.

I've already invested $100+ into figures and I am determined to learn to play. I love strategy games, I love comic books and I am determined to figure this game out sooner or later.

Edit: I have the AvX Avengers starter set:

Thor @ 200
Iron Man @ 100

vs.

Wolverine @ 175
Spider-Man @ 125

Been using the Avenger's Tower Indoor map. If you have those figures and map, maybe you could use them!

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 6, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Wow, I love being a goon :3:

Unfortunately, I am using a lovely chromebook for all my internet browsing needs, and Skype is not supported (at least to my knowledge). I can't express enough how awesome it is that the two time defending champ is offering to personally teach me the game. Really, when I read the OP's post from the last Heroclix thread I was loving stoked to learn that the best player in the world was a member of SA. Hopefully, someone else who is brand new to the game can take you up on the offer and that video can be made available to everyone who is currently in my predicament.

I've already invested $100+ into figures and I am determined to learn to play. I love strategy games, I love comic books and I am determined to figure this game out sooner or later.

Edit: I have the AvX Avengers starter set:

Thor @ 200
Iron Man @ 100

vs.

Wolverine @ 175
Spider-Man @ 125

Been using the Avenger's Tower Indoor map. If you have those figures and map, maybe you could use them!

Oh god those teams aren't even close to equal. That second team is so bad.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

I'd love to get in on this group chat thing.

Seeing as how it's two for thursday I'll make you the same offer.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Regardless of if that even happens: Morand, you are a class act.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Morand posted:

Seeing as how it's two for thursday I'll make you the same offer.

I'll absolutely take you up on this offer. When would be best for you? Hit me up with a PM.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

I'll absolutely take you up on this offer. When would be best for you? Hit me up with a PM.

Message sent

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Morand posted:

Message sent

Awesome. You're my goon of the year.

Edit: I did a quick google search and found that you won the last World Championship, but do you have any other Heroclix-related achievements? I'm honestly curious to know.

Captain Satire fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 7, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

Awesome. You're my goon of the year.

Edit: I did a quick google search and found that you won the last World Championship, but do you have any other Heroclix-related achievements? I'm honestly curious to know.

He also won the 2011 World Championship.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

He also won the 2011 World Championship.

What he said.

I don't make it to many other major events besides Gen-Con. I was going to try to go to Clixathon, but we're having a wedding shower that day.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

What he said.

I don't make it to many other major events besides Gen-Con. I was going to try to go to Clixathon, but we're having a wedding shower that day.

Wow, the Clixathon in Glen Burnie isn't very far away from me.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

DoFP Avalanche is up! HOLY POOP ON A STICK that trait combined with Precision Strike is going to lay waste to swarms.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Good lord. And for only 72 points? That traited Quake is going to be absolutely demoralizing to get hit by with some clever placement.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Haha, holy poo poo. Dude doesn't show up in 'clix for a decade and when he does he's a monster, I love it. The lack of opening Charge is the only thing keeping him from being over the top the top abusable, I mean it's not like the Brotherhood of mutants have any TK pieces, right? :)

The Winter Soldier starter was spoiled on HCO: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500407 No crazy powers, just good solid pieces.

I think I have my team for AvX on Sunday:

100 Cyke
Iron Pharoah
AIM Renegade x2
Thunderbolt Ross (Airstrike)
Aldrich Killian
30 Loki

It's just a starting area turtle team, which I usually abhor, but Pharaoh/Ross looks too annoying to pass up. With no Perplexes a Magneto could give Pharaoh fits, and I'll need to rush to counter Improved Targeting on any Cykes or 001 Iron Men I encounter, but otherwise with the tentpole teams people have been building for previous months all it'll take is a good shot from Ross & Pharaoh to drop the heavy lifter. Since Witch & Resources are banned this month I don't have to worry about Ross falling to Mystics or shared 20Ds from Ant-Man, and Killian stops ATAs, the only other element out of my control.

I was trying to figure out a way to make entertaining use of Shaman for all the elevated on these maps but nothing came to me, and he would work a lot better if I were Avengers and had access to Spidey to not be at a deficit because of No Flight Spell myself.

The only other teams I gave serious consideration to were a TK yoyo team with Cyke, Lilandra, Jubilee, Jean Grey, and maybe starter Emma; or just using Phoenix Five Cyke & Namor with starter Emma.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 7, 2014

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

ManiacClown posted:

My AvX3 is this weekend.

Will you be able to use the Emma fragment this month? if so here's a possible team for you using a variation on the Ant-Man/Namor fragment strategy:

code:
200 Thor w/Cyke's Fragment
SI Dr. strange w/Colossus Fragment
75 pt Ant-Man w/Emma Fragment
100 Witch
100 Spidey
43 pt Ant-Man
Phoenix Force w/Namor
Thor will start with a 13 attack, 6 damage and 9 range from the Force and using O'Grady's SHiELD power action (since he can carry him during running shot at no penalty); you've got +3 or +4 Perplexes depending on how Strange rolls so that can quickly become a 15 attack for 8 damage (and don't forget to Sidestep to safety after Thor murders someone!). You've got a TK to get people in position or evac, Prob and Support, everyone will have a 20 defense (put Witch out in front for a 22 Defense from ranged attacks that your opponent will need to land three times), situational Outwit, dual Incap at 10 range that ignores characters, Mystics, etc. Plus it's an Avengers themed team for the faction bonus.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 7, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Unfortunately, no, we don't get the fragment until after the event, so we can't use Emma's fragment. If we could I'd probably use some variant of team 2 where I'd give Cap Emma's fragment and give Cyclops to Black Panther so he could ignore all the elevation changes.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Dude doesn't show up in 'clix for a decade and when he does he's a monster, I love it. The lack of opening Charge is the only thing keeping him from being over the top the top abusable, I mean it's not like the Brotherhood of mutants have any TK pieces, right? :)

He's one hammer away from charge. He's abusable

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Suddenly I want to draft that Avalanche into my Legion team and have Cosmic Boy drop him around like some kind of seismic bomb.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Phoenix Force with 1 or 2 fragments left on will also give him Charge, though not as reliably as a Hammer. It won't cost an action, at least, and 2 fragments would bump his top-dial Defense to an 18.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Morand posted:

He's one hammer away from charge. He's abusable

Sure with Resources and all but every venue I play at restricts their use to pretty much just OP series and the infrequent no-holds-barred game so I usually think in terms of themed teams, and there's a plethora of Magnetos just waiting to toss Dom here into a cluster of dudes like a shiny Greek grenade. On a related note, DoFP Avalanche, Destiny, Mystique, Pyro, & WatX Spiral is 400 points of Freedom Force goodness on the dot :allears:

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 8, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

The teams for this match if anyone is curious

I am playing

Giganta from the FF
Lex Luthor
Toyman with a plane attached
Another airplane
2 superman action figures

Versus

Ultra boy
Glorith
Timber Wolf
Science Police officer

Played on soul world

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Ok I got absolutely annihilated, but it was still awesome nonetheless.

I learned the importance of positioning with regards to alpha strikes almost immediately, as Giganta took 6 or so clicks from Ultra Boy in one turn. Ouch, lesson learned.

I also learned about remembering things like prob, perplex, and very effective use of outwit.

In all, it's about positioning, positioning, POSITIONING. A fun lesson.

Highly recommend anybody else keen to learn the game to also hit Morand up. He also has a fuffy cat.

Thanks again dude for playing that game with me, I'm happy I didn't confuse you with my Aussie accent.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Ok I got absolutely annihilated, but it was still awesome nonetheless.

I learned the importance of positioning with regards to alpha strikes almost immediately, as Giganta took 6 or so clicks from Ultra Boy in one turn. Ouch, lesson learned.

I also learned about remembering things like prob, perplex, and very effective use of outwit.

In all, it's about positioning, positioning, POSITIONING. A fun lesson.

Highly recommend anybody else keen to learn the game to also hit Morand up. He also has a fuffy cat.

Thanks again dude for playing that game with me, I'm happy I didn't confuse you with my Aussie accent.

The dice made it more one sided then it had to be, as timber wolf had 2 shots on Giganta and rolled a 1 or 2 for blades every time (this is with prob too) and I apparently could not roll under an 8.

Hopefully some of the positioning advice I gave helps in the future.

Morand fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 8, 2014

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Had AvX month 2 today. Enjoyed it but, I missed out on Lei Kung by 7 points. The most aggravating part, in the second game a guy needed an 8 to hit my AvX Scarlet Witch. He hit a 8, prob he hit with a 10, on the last prob he crit hit, and the one extra damage is the only reason she got knocked out. That was the only damage I took in that game, grr.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Had an auction sealed event last night. Everybody gets a bidding pool of $5, and then a booster is opened and people bid on the first pick from it, then second pick, and so on. Had 18 people show up, and we worked our way through a case of Iron Man, a case of Superman & the Legion, and a smattering of blind gravity feed figures and old boosters. Chase figures, primes, and rings went into the prize pool, along with a lot of other donated stuff. Then, build 500 points out of what you bought, and have a three round tournament. Any money from your bidding pool left over can be spent on re-rolls at 25 cents a pop.

It's always a fun format, since the bidding is at least as much fun as the games. Lots of winding people up just to make them spend more money on things that they want, and defensive bidding to keep certain figures out of certain people's hands. One guy ended up buying Darkseid and Kalibak, and then we got him to run out the rest of his money on a defensive purchase to keep Orion from anyone else's hands.

After going a few directions in my bidding, I ended up building a team of Colossal Boy, Chameleon Girl, two Brothers Grimm, Scarecrow with the Entangle feat, and rookie Electro from Sinister. I had $1.50 left for re-rolls, which I hopefully won't need, with two natural PCs on the board from the Brothers.

Round one was up against one of the movie Iron Man figures, War Machine, and marquee Vision. Iron Man could bust my Stealth, so I was kind of worried, but it turned out that I didn't need to be. This one was pretty much a rout... lost Scarecrow while he performed his duties as a tie-up piece, but nobody else took a click. Having two variable-height attackers ensured that my PCs could always see them, and Electro being on the team let me share Colossal Boy's 11 attack, when the Legionnaires were not copying Mystics. Clean sweep in about fifteen minutes.

Round two brought Colossus, Sauron, and 300-point Bizarro. As I'd just faced off against Bizarro with Colossal Boy and Chameleon Girl the past weekend, I knew what to do: take down everybody else first, and then dogpile him. Smoked Colossus immediately, and Scarecrow kept Sauron tied up until Bizarro knocked Scarecrow to the Flurry/Blades clicks, and no more Sauron. Then it was just a long, slow slog through Bizarro's 12 tokens; a trip that was aided a bit by having four easy sources of Poison on my team for those Super Senses clicks. Lost the Scarecrow again, but nobody else got touched.

Final round was up against two 150-point 001 Iron Men, Giganta, low-cost Mano, and an experienced SHIELD Sniper from Sinister. More IT: Hindering made the Stealth figures sad, as did the fact that my opponent won map roll, ensuring that he got the alpha strike. He dropped one Brothers Grimm in one shot, and put Electro to his last click his second turn. I retaliated by KOing one Iron Man, and dropping the other to his Regen clicks that same turn. Electro, Mano, and the remaining Brother Grimm got into a Poison fight, which I eventually won, and then it was just mop-up time. The wicked alpha strike had me worried, but Electro surviving really helped, since chaining the 11 ensured that I could put Chameleon Girl's Perplex into damage.

Ended up going 3-0 and taking the top spot on points. There were a lot of great prizes, but not much that I didn't have, so I snagged the Thor 2 movie starter. I love those auction events... if you can get enough people to split the cost of a brick or two, I'd highly suggest it!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

This is weird. I've actually won two tournaments in a row. Two Major Tournaments. Went 4-0 in today's AvX3.

It helps that I've also pulled Takion two tournaments in a row.

I think this means that, when I really WANT the prizes like in the Deadpool set, I'll tank hard.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Today some friends and I got together for a big casual 1000 point battle. One guy had Arkham Origins enemies, one had Avengers, the third had a Doom team of SI Doom, Death Mask, & Iron Doom with support, fourth guy had X-Men with Phoenix Emma and GSX Professor X, and I ran an evil god team of 200 Shuma, Nightmare, Blackheart, LE Mephisto, and two Skullwalkers. Despite Witch shutting off Mystics early in the game, I went relatively unmolested and spent almost the entire game in my starting area (only needed to move when Colossus trundled up and fell to Blackheart/Nightmare, and when a Skullwalker tied up Joker so Shuma could Flurry him to death); instead I kept bargaining with people to grant them Mephisto's boon on the promise of not using it to turn around and murder their own figures. Deadshot was a frequent choice and I snaked three kills with him, I also got to take control of Bane and 200 Captain America to murder some more fools.

The best action though was the last one of the game; Emma had taken damage enough to land on the first click of her lower starting value, within range and LoF of near-dead SI Dr. Doom, near-dead Brothers Grimm, second click AO Killer Croc, and third click AvX Wolverine. She'd gotten the boon in exchange for me not killing his Professor X, so when my turn comes around I mind control Doom, Croc, and Wolverine. Doom smacks Grimm for a KO, Croc in turn KOs Doom who was now nice and squishy (Grimm was the only one who avoided his Mystics getting shut down), then Wolverine uses Blades/Exploit on Croc, crit hits and rolls a 6 for another KO. At that point the four hours we'd set was up and I won on points, never having moved any figure farther than 3 squares from my starting area.

Turning people against each other and getting them to argue over who would be best served being offered +1 stats was fantastic; Mephisto makes me feel comic accurate and I love it.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Played a 600 point game today. No tactics, only theme. All figures had to be from SLoSH or share a non-generic keyword with the figures from SLoSH. I was thinking New Gods (sans Highfather) with Barda from Batman and the new duo sidelined, but went for the more balanced team of:
Mon El 175
Superboy 100
Gates 60
Timber Wolf 97
Glorith 83
Tellus 82
=597

Basic strategy was to TK Timber Wolf out and have Gates port everyone up into a death ball and everyone would have at least 19 DV because of Mon El and willpower from Superboy.

Most of our regular players were gone to the ROC event in KY so only four people showed up and instead of a small tournament we played a team up 2v2 game so strategy went kind of out the window. I got teamed up with someone else playing a Legion team and we faced a Fatal Five team of four and a full points Darkseid with Dawnstar (so he could see ANYWHERE and a Kalibak. The Legion overpowered the forces of evil due to our eight theme probs about four printed probs and four perplexes and two Outwits. It was fun, but I was kind of proud of that team and I wanted to see what they could do. Guess I will just have to wait for another team game that will be perfect for them...

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Can we all band together and collectively vote Science Cops out of the game because arghargharghagrharghargh

(I actually love them just not playing against them)

We had a 300 pt DC only game just for fun (Legion Flight Ring) and I played Lt. Gordon, Cop Car, a couple Soldiers and Rachel Dawes, which is a team of ENTIRELY free actions basically. Mon-El and two Science Cops on loving Bizarro World basically rendered me intert

die die dieeeeee

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 9, 2014

• Locked thread