Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'd like to add one more: it's very important to take off your helmet just before pulling off some really sick moves.

This was fun but not as fun as the first. It has a lot of the same things going for it, big showy fight scenes and over the top-ness, but it's missing something; it just doesn't have any of the "this is where we fight, this is where they die" scenes from the first that make that one so rewatchable. When they cut to a scene of Leonidas and his Spartan bros marching off to their deaths, I was kinda hoping they'd just show the movie 300 again. Enjoyable but as a whole, even seeing it in 3D Imax most of the film left this reviewer cold!

It was another flaw in the movie since it wasted a good amount of plodding rehashing the previous movie, probably on the assumption that some audience members had never seen 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

berserker posted:

Oh also I'm pretty sure at one point in this movie the Athenians call the Spartans "boy lovers", so I guess back then every jock called everyone else human being too just like today.

They were all pretty much boy lovers, weren't they? Were the Spartans the ones whose women had to cut their hair short and dress like a dude on their wedding night?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If you felt that the first film demonized Arab people, you ain't seen nothing yet. Xerxes forces now include suicide bombers. There's constant reference to how Arab blood needs to be spilled as well.

Frank Miller in top form. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Justin Godscock posted:

Oh yes, and the sex scene in this movie was just so drat...odd yet appropriate for the era when you think about it. OK, so Artemisia brings Themistocles in for negotiations in the form of seduction which quickly turns into very aggressive sex. Que the reaction shot of the guards outside, which had my theatre laughing as well, followed by Themistocles just simply saying "no" revealing he was really just a dude looking for a quick gently caress. It's kind of appropriate for this little fantasy world in a way.

The best part is the exact same music they'd play for a battle is playing during it. I think the only thing I disliked about the movie is taht the first one made it fairly obvious that it was being overly exaggerated by the returning Spartan and that there really aren't giant monster men with sword hands. It was satire. In this one it's all straightfaced about it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

The best part is the exact same music they'd play for a battle is playing during it. I think the only thing I disliked about the movie is taht the first one made it fairly obvious that it was being overly exaggerated by the returning Spartan and that there really aren't giant monster men with sword hands. It was satire. In this one it's all straightfaced about it.

Teeeeechnically I think Queen Gorgo is the one narrating things to the Spartan Navy so maybe it can be said to be similar.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm sure I'm just overthinking it, but I couldn't help notice during the sex scene that Eva Green's character visibly reacts when she's put into a submissive sexual position (the doggie-style moment comes to mind), and immediately switches things up to a position where she's on top. As a former sex slave, it's a nice bit of characterization.

I also loved how she reacted every time one of her subordinates failed.

Overall, this movie was stupid fun, but the stupidity has less fun to counteract it t than the first one.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

I'm sure I'm just overthinking it, but I couldn't help notice during the sex scene that Eva Green's character visibly reacts when she's put into a submissive sexual position (the doggie-style moment comes to mind), and immediately switches things up to a position where she's on top. As a former sex slave, it's a nice bit of characterization.

I also loved how she reacted every time one of her subordinates failed.

Overall, this movie was stupid fun, but the stupidity has less fun to counteract it t than the first one.

Yeah I noticed that too about her. She definitely did not appreciate being put in a submissive position and had a reaction to that. She wanted the control and power. And I kinda chuckled at Themistocles coming back and sort of either being slightly stunned or having to downplay what he did and experienced. He was pretty much dismissed and given blue balls.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

I was dragged into this by some relatives tonight. It was loving awful.

It looked like a series of bad video game cut-scenes. It wasn't even close to being as visually interesting as 300 was. Just endless slow-mo limb chopping accompanied by blobby CGI blood splashing into the camera. The characters were a collection of cardboard cut outs delivering dialogue so inane and predictable that I nearly fell asleep several times.

The sex fight was somewhat entertaining, although it's pretty much the only thing this soulless historically inaccurate piece of fascist American propaganda has going for it.

I've already forgotten half of it and I only saw it 2 hours ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

etalian posted:

It was another flaw in the movie since it wasted a good amount of plodding rehashing the previous movie, probably on the assumption that some audience members had never seen 300.

Probably the weirdest scene in the movie is the one where Themistocles and Gorgo are just standing around talking about how 300 was currently happening. It was super obvious that about half of her scenes were supposed to be Gerard Butler but he didn't want to get back into shape for this movie.

Another really bizarre scene was the Xerxes backstory where he was just a normal guy until he bathed in some magic water to become hairless and loving huge.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did Xerxes just magically get 3 feet taller from that magic water?

Also, that sex scene should have been interspersed with scenes of Greek ships ramming into Persian ships.

Artemesia: YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP! :black101:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Xerxes origin story is propaganda that dehumanizes him by making him a god, or more appropriately, a false idol. It's one of the satirical elements of 300.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So does Eva Green get naked or what?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, it's pretty clear the water is a visual metaphor and shorthand. He walked into water wrapped in gauze; came out hairless, wrapped in jewelery, and 3 feet taller with some pretty smashing brows. In fact, I thought it was the most interesting (and advanced) bit of this movie.

Can anybody explain what was up with the weird barracuda fish?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear the water is a visual metaphor and shorthand. He walked into water wrapped in gauze; came out hairless, wrapped in jewelery, and 3 feet taller with some pretty smashing brows. In fact, I thought it was the most interesting (and advanced) bit of this movie.

Sea monsters were a dream sequence.

Wish there were more fantastical Persian monstrosities. I remember in 300 first seeing the 'Uber Immortal' thinking, "oh I bet he's going to wreck some poo poo".

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I took this as another visual metaphor referencing Themistocles' fear of the Persian fleet snapping up the lives of his troops, and the freedom of Greece as a whole. When one of the monster-fish looks at him, it distinctly was shown to have "Persian" (golden) eyes.

This may be grasping at straws, but did anyone get a ham-fisted vibe of female empowerment throughout the whole film? Yeah big manly men were leading the Greeks, and most of the action was reliant on men fighting other men, but it seemed like the Greeks really depended on Gorgo's decisions and that Artemesia was the driving force for the other side. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that a lot of Greek culture uses women as the embodiments of their ideals, this could be extended to the Persian analogue in that Artemesia, not Xerxes is the power behind the empire.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

handbanana125 posted:

I took this as another visual metaphor referencing Themistocles' fear of the Persian fleet snapping up the lives of his troops, and the freedom of Greece as a whole. When one of the monster-fish looks at him, it distinctly was shown to have "Persian" (golden) eyes.

This may be grasping at straws, but did anyone get a ham-fisted vibe of female empowerment throughout the whole film? Yeah big manly men were leading the Greeks, and most of the action was reliant on men fighting other men, but it seemed like the Greeks really depended on Gorgo's decisions and that Artemesia was the driving force for the other side. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that a lot of Greek culture uses women as the embodiments of their ideals, this could be extended to the Persian analogue in that Artemesia, not Xerxes is the power behind the empire.

On the other hand The film's protagonist is immune to female seduction, and she meets her end on hers knees in front of him. What's even worse is that it seems like the actual Artemesia was more competent than this film version. It would have worked so much better if in the end she killed Themistocles just as the Spartans sailed in. She was the better character, is described at one point as unmatched in combat, and yet she does a series of incomprehensible dumb things in the last ten minutes in order to lose. I liked most of the movie, but the end was just so jarring that it didn't ring true to the rest of the film.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

So does Eva Green get naked or what?

Yes it's the only highlight in otherwise bad movie.

On a side note 300 had a pretty realistic phalanx shoving match scene for the first fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNn5TZu6R8

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Jayisspecial posted:

On the other hand The film's protagonist is immune to female seduction, and she meets her end on hers knees in front of him. What's even worse is that it seems like the actual Artemesia was more competent than this film version. It would have worked so much better if in the end she killed Themistocles just as the Spartans sailed in. She was the better character, is described at one point as unmatched in combat, and yet she does a series of incomprehensible dumb things in the last ten minutes in order to lose. I liked most of the movie, but the end was just so jarring that it didn't ring true to the rest of the film.

Well, there goes any chance of me wanting to see this movie. If they'd done what Artemesia supposedly actually did, then I might have gone to a matinee or something.

Impersonated a greek ship by killing the hell out of one of her allies that had pissed her off earlier. It totally worked and she got away with it.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Jayisspecial posted:

I agree completely, which is why I had to qualify it as a ham-fisted attempt. Those scenes were pretty much the most frustrating in the film,tThey had slivers of almost pulling it off, but couldn't handle the follow-up and flubbed what could've been a neat little subversion.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Well, that was one spectacular and enjoyable way to butcher history. I wonder if there'll be a terrible remix one day, that'll merge this movie with 300.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Really didn't like this movie. I haven't seen 300 since it came out so maybe I'm misremembering and it was just as bad, but I thought this new one took itself way too seriously. The dialogue was truly awful and incredibly repetitive. Themistocles was lovely and boring most of the time. I was seriously hoping Artemesia would win.

The ship battles were pretty, at least!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Artemisia was definitely the only character I gave a poo poo about. This whole movie was very weirdly structured and I didn't like it very much except for the sex scene and some of the battle sequences.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I thought it was alright, and I knew basically nothing about it going into it. They did jump around quite a bit and I agree the structure was off. I think it was a little long and the "300, except on boats!" dragged on a little long but it did have some decent action scenes. I'd probably recommend it to fans of 300 if I knew any.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Other then getting to see Eva Green's boobs that was pretty much a total waste.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

etalian posted:

Yes it's the only highlight in otherwise bad movie.

On a side note 300 had a pretty realistic phalanx shoving match scene for the first fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNn5TZu6R8

Totally forgot Fassbender was in the first 300. Checking out Wiki it looks like it was his first movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

an adult beverage posted:

Totally forgot Fassbender was in the first 300. Checking out Wiki it looks like it was his first movie.

Yeah, and they make sure you don't forget that in the flashback to when they march off either. Speaking of which, it felt like a smaller cast. I was comparing speaking roles among the 300 Spartans and the Athenians, and, while the sequel is shy one, it felt really, really small that we only have Themistocles, Hans Matheson and Callan Murphy's characters (and you know they cast Murphy because he looks a lot like Fassbender), and the son, almost like a stage play. It's probably because they don't interact with the people around them enough, unlike the original film. There felt to be a lack of unique characters as well, such as the Persian generals being all the same where Xerxes' officers looked like they had some variety.

I thought it was better than the first movie (which I hated) although I didn't pay to see it (friends bought tickets) so that helps out some. I felt that Themistocles was a more sympathetic character than Leonidas, who is probably why I disliked the first film. I liked Artemisia much more but did not like the whole "power behind the throne" tone they were going for it. Why can't she just be a really skilled general without being some scheming woman archetype?

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Apart from Eva Green's entertainingly over the top baddie, I found this really dull and lifeless. The Athenians are all pretty genetic and bland. None of the dialogue is as quotable as the first movie (e.g. "This...is...SPARTA"). The visuals aren't as striking as 300 either, partially because they've subsequently cropped up in other movies and partially because the direction is not as good this time round.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Flunchy posted:

But literal Soviet propaganda films are awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-v-kZzfec

One comment for that vid: "The lack of sound evokes a sense of helplessness from the crowd. Very powerful choice by the filmmakers."

301 wasn't too bad, the sea battles on the big screen were the best part though. They're so dark they'll be hard to see on a tv.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've been shotgunning the fantastically awful Spartacus series over the last week, and its hard to get excited about speed ramping and fountains of blood when the show does it a minimum of 80 times an episode.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I've been shotgunning the fantastically awful Spartacus series over the last week, and its hard to get excited about speed ramping and fountains of blood when the show does it a minimum of 80 times an episode.
Spartacus is a show about people peeing on John Hannah's face, right?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Spartacus is a show about people peeing on John Hannah's face, right?

It's notable for having not one, but two scenes in which people's faces are peed on under similar circumstances.

If I had to sum it up, it's a show where the writing and directing team never met each other. The writing team were working on a densely plotted, frequently thematically complex palace intrigue show. The directing team were just transcribing the words of a drugged up 13 year old boy who's only media intake was 300 and Penthouse magazine. So you have a bunch of Roman nobles carefully plotting and scheming, currying favour with the crowd and double crossing each other, while a god awful softcore sex scene happens in the background. It's kind of amazing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Spartacus owns beyond belief. The most creative profanity since Deadwood combined with fights at least as violent and stylized as 300 and about as much sex and nudity as True Blood. It's almost too much, but it isn't.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Spartacus owns beyond belief. The most creative profanity since Deadwood combined with fights at least as violent and stylized as 300 and about as much sex and nudity as True Blood. It's almost too much, but it isn't.

I think you mean, it totally is too much and its fantastic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snowman_McK posted:

It's notable for having not one, but two scenes in which people's faces are peed on under similar circumstances.

If I had to sum it up, it's a show where the writing and directing team never met each other. The writing team were working on a densely plotted, frequently thematically complex palace intrigue show. The directing team were just transcribing the words of a drugged up 13 year old boy who's only media intake was 300 and Penthouse magazine. So you have a bunch of Roman nobles carefully plotting and scheming, currying favour with the crowd and double crossing each other, while a god awful softcore sex scene happens in the background. It's kind of amazing.

It is also pretty close to what the real roman republic was like. There was a thematic point to that, and how the upper class was so decadent and how lovely the slaves had it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

You really haven't lived until you've heard 'Jupiter's Cock!' used as a replacement for the word gently caress.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

It's fantastically awful at first but then gets genuinely good a few episodes. Sort of went from a 300 clone especially in the pilot to something lurid, sleazy but at the same brilliant especially the rapid pace of the plot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

etalian posted:

It's fantastically awful at first but then gets genuinely good a few episodes. Sort of went from a 300 clone especially in the pilot to something lurid, sleazy but at the same brilliant especially the rapid pace of the plot.

It's still got a lot of the things that made the pilot stupid (Whoever filmed the sex scenes should be banned from doing so anywhere else, because they're awful), but watching from "The Red Serpent" Through to "The Bitter End" is one of the most impressive ramping ups of quality I've seen in a show. The finale of Gods of the Arena might be one of my favourite hours of television.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh wow.

I already had the movie spoiled for me, then I went to the theatres and watched the Malaysian Censors' Cut of the movie, which has some amazing moments. My personal favourite is in the climax of the film where Artemesia locks swords with Themisokles and says

"You fight harder!"

and then he kills her immediately. Presumably because he fights harder.

Also the bit where he goes to her ship, then she kisses him, then suddenly we're looking at her from the shoulders-up and her resolution is all stretched and she's shouting angrily at him to leave. I don't know what was up with that chick but I presume it's some haraam-rear end poo poo, man.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saw this movie for free this afternoon, I dug it. Artemisia was a total badass and watching Eva Green chew scenery completely made the movie worthwhile. The continuous shot near the end with the horseback ride across multiple boat decks was rad as hell, too. I am a total sucker for long continuous shots, even if the advent of CGI has made them trivially easy to accomplish.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I watched it tonight and I saw 300 when it was in theaters as well. It's a nice movie to turn your brain off and watch over the top battle scenes just like the original. I should go check out how all the critics are tripping over themselves to be so progressive and forward thinking like the last 300. Oh no there are hosed up hunchback mongoloid dwarf men!

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

etalian posted:

Spartacus is a goddamn good time. I can honestly say the sex and violence more often than not got in the way of the good stuff. It takes a few episodes to kick in but once the friendship between the gladiators and Batiatus' intrigues get going it's a genuinely fun show to watch. The later seasons get some better action and set pieces though you can definitely tell a lot of budget VFX tricks are stretched to the limit.

• Locked thread