Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Spartacus is a goddamn good time. I can honestly say the sex and violence more often than not got in the way of the good stuff. It takes a few episodes to kick in but once the friendship between the gladiators and Batiatus' intrigues get going it's a genuinely fun show to watch. The later seasons get some better action and set pieces though you can definitely tell a lot of budget VFX tricks are stretched to the limit.

The finale of God of the Arena was goddamn gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Spartacus is the only show I've seen that destroys the previous episode's awesomeness in every single episode. The first couple of episodes suck though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've never seen 300, but a friend took me to see this one.
I think I expected it to be a lot worse than it actually was, but like someone said earlier it almost feels like watching a person play a terrible computer game. The backgrounds to places and the style choices in a lot of it completely took me out of it and I didn't care what was going on for so much of the film.

Even little things, like a guy who is full of arrows somehow swimming to the shore after an explosion, and then dying when he gets there. Or everyone constantly being so very dry when they're on boats that are essentially in the sea. It's like they just didn't give a poo poo about anything beyond buckets of blood - like they've watched a Tarantino film and thought "Well he has lots of blood, so that must be what makes the film good".

Eva Green was fantastic though. I always feel sorry for actors when they're in a poo poo film in a bad role but doing really well, like it'll mean she'll just be in more and more terrible films instead of what she actually deserves.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Seeing how Eva Green totally nailed it in the 300 sequel, I'm really looking forward to seeing how she does in Sin City 2.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

So this film literally doesn't have a director, right? It was directed by a production team from cliff notes of the first one? And "Noam Murro" got the credit because someone owed him a favour?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Seeing how Eva Green totally nailed it in the 300 sequel, I'm really looking forward to seeing how she does in Sin City 2.

Eva Green nails loving everything, she's awesome. I eagerly look forward to her turning 35 and casting directors promptly forgetting that she exists. Seriously, she's great. 9 years ago, in her mid 20s, she was a stand out in a film that also starred Jeremy Irons, Liam Neeson, Kevin McKidd, Edward Norton, Alexander Siddig and Martin Csokas. She's firey as all get out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Loved the first movie, love Sullivan Stapleton in Strike Back, love Eva Green in... who cares it's Eva Green.

Man i couldn't sit through this movie, turned it off after the some dude jumped off a boat BORING.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Is this movie worth the time and potential to ruin my love of the first movie? I wont have to pay for it, so the only investments are time and emotional connection to 300

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked '300' a lot and thought the sequel was a hoot. It's a lot better than I expected it to be. Especially if you're seeing it for free, it's worth it for Eva Green alone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was merely ok and I kinda dozed off after their first defeat. It was just more of the same but not done as competently. Eva Green is great tho (and incredibly beautiful, those eyes :swoon:).

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I liked '300' a lot and thought the sequel was a hoot. It's a lot better than I expected it to be. Especially if you're seeing it for free, it's worth it for Eva Green alone.

Thanks. I will probably watch it, with low expectations. Probably some decent action and thrills right?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thehacker0 posted:

Is this movie worth the time and potential to ruin my love of the first movie? I wont have to pay for it, so the only investments are time and emotional connection to 300

How could this movie possibly ruin a different movie for you? It's a couple hours of below average 300 style action with a side of Eva Green being pretty great. It shits on the Spartans and gives a pointless back story to Xerxes while shirtless men fight in cloaks and leather briefs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
You can watch Eva Green ham it up and save a movie all at the same time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw this earlier and it was mind-numbingly boring. Couldn't recommend it to anyone. Although Eva Green's sex scene was hilarious and the sole highlight of the movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw this earlier and it was mind-numbingly boring. Couldn't recommend it to anyone. Although Eva Green's sex scene was hilarious and the sole highlight of the movie.

It's also the only moment of the movie that people seemed to talked about after it was over.

The crowd at my theater also loved the shrugging persian guards who had to listen in on the sex battle.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

etalian posted:

It's also the only moment of the movie that people seemed to talked about after it was over.

The crowd at my theater also loved the shrugging persian guards who had to listen in on the sex battle.
Yeah I loved that too. The whole scene felt like a comedy bit in the middle of a movie that took itself entirely too seriously. It was really bizarre but I enjoyed it.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The end-credits sequence with "War Pigs" was pretty good. The rest of the move, what the gently caress were they thinking. On the positive side, I kept thinking "this is going to be great rifftrax."

"THEY CALLED HIM THEMISTOCLES!"... Because that was his loving name. More like forgetableicles.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 29, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Yeah, this movie is entirely unmemorable besides Eva Green fighting a dude with her vagina, and even that is only memorable because you can't believe something like that is happening in an otherwise boring as hell movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least the original 300 had some striking imagery.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Trip report: I desperately missed the apocalyptic man-choir soundtrack and narration from the first one and the digi-sky looked smeary rather than stylish.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If you felt that the first film demonized Arab people, you ain't seen nothing yet. Xerxes forces now include suicide bombers. There's constant reference to how Arab blood needs to be spilled as well.

I had a feeling you were lying about this and it turns out you were. Liar.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Yeah, in retrospect the Arab guys with the exploding backpacks who boarded the Athenian ships with the intent to sink it were not supposed to be suicide bombers at all.

Starfury
Feb 28, 2014

RUSSIAN WHORE AND SHAMELESS SUCKER OF PUTIN'S COCK. PLEASE VOVA, FILL MY THROAT WITH YOUR DELICIOUS HOT PROPAGANDA (AND CUM), I CAN'T EVER GET ENOUGH!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yeah, in retrospect the Arab guys with the exploding backpacks who boarded the Athenian ships with the intent to sink it were not supposed to be suicide bombers at all.

Real Arabs won't be happy that you confused them with the Persians. I don't think anybody can have a real complaint when the Persian empire in fact invaded Greece.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If you're going to do dumb political allegory via asspulling, this is quite clearly about the Oil Crisis of the 70s. The West uses it's economic and naval power to support regional enemies of Mesopotamian powers, Ionia standing in for Israel. In response an organized conglomeration of nations, the Achaemenid Empire standing in for OPEC, uses their oil as a weapon against the west. The guys with the backpacks represent the growing consumption of oil by the western nations while Themistocles identification of them and order to redirect attacks at them is representative of policies and practices implemented to reduce dependency on foreign oil.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Arabs are not mentioned in the film at all. While Arabs may have joined the Persian army despite Arabia not being part of the Persian empire, no one is identified as Arab.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I watched it yesterday and it really wasn't as good as the first 300. But I decided that it all took place in a parallel dimension which had a different history and physics to ours then I enjoyed the film more.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
LEONIDAS WAS BETRAYED BY A HUNCHBACK! :byodood:

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Finally saw it. This movie felt like it was sub plot scenes that should have been in 300. They should just edit the two movies together into chronological sequence.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SinistralRifleman posted:

Finally saw it. This movie felt like it was sub plot scenes that should have been in 300. They should just edit the two movies together into chronological sequence.

This would be cool. Only let's get an EE with more Eva Green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Immanentized posted:

This may be grasping at straws, but did anyone get a ham-fisted vibe of female empowerment throughout the whole film?

It's narrated by a queen trying to legitimise her right to command following the king's death. An unreliable, self-serving narrator is the key conceit of the series.

• Locked thread