Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
They had a couple of call backs to characters from the first movie. I got the Persian emmisary from 300 being the guy who rescued\trained Artemesia, but who was the Greek with the beard when she was in the slave ship? Was that the "good" Spartan senator?

Going to echo the fact that this movie felt awfully disjointed, and that the Spartans were shoehorned in during there scenes. Despite the various weak points of the film, I think that the first naval combat scene was presented in an interesting fashion. Spoilers?
When you see the Persian fleet appear, they're cresting a huge wave, with the Athenian circle of boats presented in a circle of light at the "bottom" of the wave. Despite the water acting normally, throughout that entire scene, you have the Persian ships bearing "down" on the Greeks, echoing the scene from the battle of Marathon where the Athenians do the same thing to the Persian landing forces.

It was a scene that had a glimmer of technical greatness, but I think, like the rest of the movie it was ultimately fumbled by the director. I might not be as articulate as some of the other posters in here, but the movie had to overcome a post-Spartacus movie-watching public, and had to compensate against its strengths to make up for that. Had this followed up 300 within 2-3 years, I think it would have been a much better film.

One thing that just made the film for me was that it went out of the way to say "Spartans are dicks, no one likes them, but they love to fight so we kind of need them". Now I want an Anabasis movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Can anybody explain what was up with the weird barracuda fish?

I took this as another visual metaphor referencing Themistocles' fear of the Persian fleet snapping up the lives of his troops, and the freedom of Greece as a whole. When one of the monster-fish looks at him, it distinctly was shown to have "Persian" (golden) eyes.

This may be grasping at straws, but did anyone get a ham-fisted vibe of female empowerment throughout the whole film? Yeah big manly men were leading the Greeks, and most of the action was reliant on men fighting other men, but it seemed like the Greeks really depended on Gorgo's decisions and that Artemesia was the driving force for the other side. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that a lot of Greek culture uses women as the embodiments of their ideals, this could be extended to the Persian analogue in that Artemesia, not Xerxes is the power behind the empire.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Jayisspecial posted:

On the other hand The film's protagonist is immune to female seduction, and she meets her end on hers knees in front of him. What's even worse is that it seems like the actual Artemesia was more competent than this film version. It would have worked so much better if in the end she killed Themistocles just as the Spartans sailed in. She was the better character, is described at one point as unmatched in combat, and yet she does a series of incomprehensible dumb things in the last ten minutes in order to lose. I liked most of the movie, but the end was just so jarring that it didn't ring true to the rest of the film.

I agree completely, which is why I had to qualify it as a ham-fisted attempt. Those scenes were pretty much the most frustrating in the film,tThey had slivers of almost pulling it off, but couldn't handle the follow-up and flubbed what could've been a neat little subversion.

• Locked thread