Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've seen WM1, but have absolutely no recollection of Mean Gene singing the national anthem, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I guess they worked out a deal with Ventura. I also forgot about him calling Gorilla "Gino"

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

That ref is taller than Bundy.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I haven't watched Main Event in a while, who is this on commentary?

edit: nevermind

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Brings me back to Arn Anderson doing spinebusters on WCW Main Event.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

triplexpac posted:

So this is the promo I was talking about a few days ago, where I swear the crowd noise is all fake. Heenan, Warrior & Andre on Brother Love's show
It's probably mostly fake, but I'm sure it was added at the time, not recently. Superstars and Challenge used to have lots of crowd sweetening, and it always sounded really high pitched, as opposed to the modern fake Smackdown pops which are only slightly more realistic. Even as a kid I was wondering why the crowd was always going loving bananas during otherwise unexciting segments like the Barber Shop, or The Brother Love Show.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I watched that MSG house show with Flair vs Hogan, and the way Vince and Alfred Hayes are praising Hogan, it seriously sounds like an improv comedy group trying to one-up each other with ironic praise for someone. Even for Vince, it was some of the most ridiculous commentary overselling I've ever heard.

"These people adore this man! They're completely enamored with Hulk Hogan!"
"He's a hero! They simply love The Hulkster, they've given their hearts to him!!"
"Hulk Rules!! Hulkamania lives forever!"
"Absolutely unbelievable response for this wonderful, fantastic man! Hulk Hogan!"

These are all fired off rapid fire, one after the other, while Hulk is posing to a reasonably excited crowd.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Acrolos posted:

Can someone explain the history of the MSG shows? Were they broadcast nationwide, or was it localized in the New York area? Obviously they spent the money to create a polished (for the time) product, but I don't recall MSG shows being on tv when I was a kid.

They were essentially just house shows, right?
They were MSG house shows, and they were shown on the MSG Network, which is a channel in the NY/east coast area (they have more content now, but at the time it was pretty much just NY sports team games and wasn't a very big channel). There was very little consistency when they were air, I'd sometimes come across them just flipping through the channels on a Saturday afternoon.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 3, 2014

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I guess they fast-forwarded through WM2.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

Holy poo poo, Men On A Mission! :neckbeard:

all American wrestling and WWF Mania were basically jobber shows, right?
Yeah, Mania was a recap show and All American was usually a mix of that week's matches from Superstars and Challenge, and maybe an exclusive match or two. If I remember right, it was the same matches from the syndicated shows, but with different commentary.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I'd love to see the NK shows without all the fake crowd noise. It must be surreal to wrestle to a silent crowd of 100,000+

• Locked thread