Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At a guess, the normals on all of your faces are backwards, so you're actually seeing through the model to the opposite face.

I actually had forgotten to clear the depth buffer, now I just have issues with some of the faces. I'll check the normals, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004

blastron posted:

I actually had forgotten to clear the depth buffer, now I just have issues with some of the faces. I'll check the normals, thanks!

Culling is done via state and triangle winding, not normals typically. Try turning off culling entirely via glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE​). If that works, turn it on and experiment with glFrontFace.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Looks to me like z-buffering/depth testing is disabled.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, I fixed it: the default camera depth setting was far, far larger than the scale of my models, so the depth buffer didn't have enough fidelity to represent the relatively short distances involved. I scaled it back and everything works fine now, thanks!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DaVideo posted:

I wrote a simple .obj loader and I mixed up the normals and the texture coordinates (it's supposed to be a cube)

i think you actually stole a picture of my results when i was a kid and tried to color and then cut out + origami a paper cube

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looks more like my first attempt at tie-dyeing a t-shirt to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or everyone's first attempt at rendering a cube in opengl. :colbert:

Vertex order matters? What insanity is this!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
https://youtu.be/8CcuNFRf7eY

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

This is fantastic.

Bad index buffer? Or maybe vertex?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It was a scale issue. I had multiplied something much larger that also made my jitter much larger. Woops.

phi kappa FUCKBALLS
Jul 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvvW6-hIlRk

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I don't know what your intention was, but the result is awesome!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I randomly got the urge to write a raycaster.

I was going to post this in the "screenshots of what you're working on thread," or maybe the game dev thread, but then I turned eastward.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I was going to post this in the "screenshots of what you're working on thread," or maybe the game dev thread, but then I turned eastward.

That's XNA, right?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cumslut1895 posted:

That's XNA, right?

Correct. I have trouble letting go. :saddowns:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Correct. I have trouble letting go. :saddowns:

it seems so dumb to me that they put all the work in to develop it, but never bothered to upgrade it for DX 10+

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It wouldn't be a microsoft product if they didn't give up on it completely just when people started to like it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Where did you get started to learn about raycasters? I had found a tutorial at one point to make a really simple one, but it was written in some really bad engrish and I had trouble following the math as a result.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

It wouldn't be a microsoft product if they didn't give up on it completely just when people started to like it.

The really Microsoft part is how it got knocked around by other projects. To start with, it was a multi-platform framework supporting PC, xbox 360, and Zune (lol). When Windows Phone 7 came out it basically got hijacked as a tool for growing that ecosystem, with all the tutorials and web pages being updated to the point where I wouldn't fault a newcomer for not realizing it wasn't JUST a WinPhone 7 thing. The second Metro was announced I knew XNA was doomed.

Remember that XKCD with the joke MS org chart, where the nodes of the graph are all pointing tiny pistols at eachother?

Cumslut1895 posted:

it seems so dumb to me that they put all the work in to develop it, but never bothered to upgrade it for DX 10+

There is, however, an update that lets it work with Visual Studio 2013. Just FYI.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Where did you get started to learn about raycasters? I had found a tutorial at one point to make a really simple one, but it was written in some really bad engrish and I had trouble following the math as a result.

I started with Permadi's tutorial. It kinda feels like everyone else did too, because most tutorials, examples, etc share a lot of its design decisions and code structure.

There are various less 90s examples lying around the internet, with varying levels of cryptic/terrible code. I found this HTML5/javascript example pretty helpful.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

I don't want to swarm this thread with dumb gifs nobody wants to see, so tell me if I should post more stuff like this.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
I can't stop giggling at the energy shot rolling forward ineffectually.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
More more more ahahaha

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That was absolutely hysterical. It's like a Naked Gun movie set in the Mega Man X universe.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Troglyfe posted:

I can't stop giggling at the energy shot rolling forward ineffectually.

My favorite is when the camera tilts to show that the missiles are actually going in a circle :allears:

I vote for more.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Forer posted:

I don't want to swarm this thread with dumb gifs nobody wants to see, so tell me if I should post more stuff like this.

nah, this is one of the funniest glitches anyone has posted :lol:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Forer posted:

This is hilarious. Each new thing is just so... pathetic

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Trying to create a slightly larger duplicate of an object on mouseover, but I forgot to remove the script from the created dupe.

Shaders are hard let's go shopping.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I hope you're keeping track of all this to add it to Party Mode later

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

NorthByNorthwest posted:

Vertex Skinning is easy you guys, you just --

This could be a monster in a horror game.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvYdzpEA1s

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The yearly forums game dev challenge is going on this month. Check out the thread for lots of cool glitches: SA GaveDev Challenge X.

for example:

SynthOrange posted:

Progress! I've gotten the bus to drive the way I want it to, so now I can start adding stuff like particles and passengers being thrown off on collisions. Let's just add a spawner to the bus on hit...

:stonk:

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

Eh, close enough.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I'd like to see a gif of you playing it that way.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Spent a goodly chunk of my weeklong staycation working on that dumb raycaster.

Some things work.

Some things dont.

That gray monolith extending infinitely into a pocket dimension is supposed to be a door. The logic for colliding with, opening, and closing doors all works. Just not the rendering. :saddowns:

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

I'd like to see a gif of you playing it that way.

I haven't implemented sprite handling or controllers yet so I can't actually play the game. The graphics are pretty broken right now though.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Left reload times on zero.

And now Crazy Mode is part of the game.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

munce posted:

Left reload times on zero.

And now Crazy Mode is part of the game.

With that intense of a reaction, some of those particles seem like they'd at least reach orbital velocity and possibly escape velocity... I like that some do keep flying around.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

kayakyakr posted:

With that intense of a reaction, some of those particles seem like they'd at least reach orbital velocity and possibly escape velocity... I like that some do keep flying around.
A single impulse from the surface can never get you into orbit; you'll crash right back into the same spot or somewhere sooner no matter your (sub-escape velocity) speed.

I guess technically you could orbit if there is no atmosphere and the debris was ejected from the far side of the asteroid at collision at the right angle and speed.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

ManicJason posted:

A single impulse from the surface can never get you into orbit; you'll crash right back into the same spot or somewhere sooner no matter your (sub-escape velocity) speed.

I guess technically you could orbit if there is no atmosphere and the debris was ejected from the far side of the asteroid at collision at the right angle and speed.

Right, but the speed required to shoot debris what seems like multiple diameters of Earth is ridiculous and uncomfortably close to an escape velocity sort of speed, so if the collisions are imparting that much velocity, why not just a bit more. Material would then enter a heliocentric orbit. Though that's just speculation based on layman's physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
"I'll just make this tiny, tiny change to the environment sampling, what could go wrong?"

• Locked thread