Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I like how at first that looks like Suzanne but ends up being Beethoven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Squirrel Hazelnut Wars - just add a 'press to activate squirrel shield' button and rudimentary collision detection and you get yourself the next Flappy Bird!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

To be honest that sounds pretty realistic. Never take on a giant spider in a tavern brawl

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jewel posted:

Edit: In progress fixing it to work without deformation in the last gif, but something is still Very Wrong

Edit2: Bah, still can't get it

Did you manage to get this working? The first one looks good, but it feels like you'd want to just calculate the midline of the sleeper and then rotate the shape to position it

Unless you're doing some interesting procedural calculation thing to generate these or something :shobon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

betalarmannen posted:

First one looks correct - I guess the problem lies in saving the blocks as polygons and then transforming those polygons. Any system is going to warp them, and it will look wrong. I'd save the blocks as just two endpoints through all the transformations, and add thickness later.

Edit for new page, I'm talking about this:

Yeah this was what I was getting at - treat the midline for each sleeper as between two points, one on each track line, and let the function move the points. You end up with a rotated line and you just need to align the sleeper with that. I guess the slight complication is that tight turns with short spacing will end up trying to cram several sleepers into the inside turn, and you might get overlaps.

But yeah I wasn't sure if the whole thing was the output of a function, like... I guess I'm not very good at explaining this, but like the kind of things you can do with a graphic calculator. Drop in some equation and it traces out the shapes, y'know? If it's a more complex program where you can draw the sleepers separately then it could work out

^^^ That up there looks awesome though, and I love how the internet lets people do things like that to give examples. Hey here's some live animated code!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Laplace Demon posted:

Thanks! Here it is with sleepers added the way you were describing.

:monocle:

This makes me want to learn javascript. You monster!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I hope you're keeping track of all this to add it to Party Mode later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Shalinor posted:

We went through a bunch of iterations on that, and they all looked preeeetttty dumb. Bigger just reads as a bigger nose, or a penis poking out of their fronts for some weird reason.

Seems like you'd want it dangling loosely from the corner of the mouth, not right in the middle. If you pushed it over to the side and pointing out and down at an angle it would look more natural I reckon

• Locked thread