Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Microcline posted:

OK but how many pages does he go before talking about how cool samurai swords are? I think the current record is the Baroque Cycle which makes it around 1000 pages.
I don't think they get mentioned at all, or it's a real small one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know why but I am having a real hard time working up the energy to read DODO. I don't expect I'll dislike it or anything, I just... I dunno. Co-authored books have a really spotty track record in my experience, The Talisman and Good Omens being massive exceptions to that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Casimir Radon posted:

There is one character who most definitely has a katana and is the stereotypical Neal "badass with a sword" to the point that it approaches self-parody. But he owns so it's okay.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

there's a whole segment about making watered steel for katanas

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

precision posted:

I don't know why but I am having a real hard time working up the energy to read DODO. I don't expect I'll dislike it or anything, I just... I dunno. Co-authored books have a really spotty track record in my experience, The Talisman and Good Omens being massive exceptions to that.

Oddly enough, it kind of feels like a Pratchett book at times. I think it's the witches. They're very Granny Weatherwax in character. Sort of a weird mix of Stephenson/Pratchett. I don't get much of the other author's voice at all, but I'm only about 200ish pages in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

precision posted:

A coauthor seems like a good idea to balance some of Stephenson's excesses. I think he had one with Interface and that was a pretty fun read.

• Locked thread