Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I love Tactics Ogre!

Me too! A tactical RPG with a job system and a story by THE Yasumi Matsuno, what's not to love? This is not that game.

Well what is it then?

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is a sidequel (or gaiden for the technical) to Let Us Cling Together, developed by the now defunct Quest, published by Atlus (before everything moved over to Square), and released for the Game Boy Advance in 2001. It has the dubious honor of being the last Ogre Battle game ever made, not counting the excellent PSP remake of LUCT, and is the second game to not have any input from Matsuno, after Ogre Battle 64. It also lacks a cool Queen subtitle, but Somebody To Love works well enough.

Knight of Lodis gets a bit of a weird rap. Its story isn't up to series standards and its gameplay is nowhere near as deep either, using a watered-down version of LUCT's isometric tactics system. KoL is also quite likely the least known game in an already underappreciated series and is definitely an unfortunate place for the franchise to end. But, somehow, it was my first Ogre Battle game and y'know, I really like it. This isn't a perfect game, no, but its relatively simple mechanics still hold up and while the writing isn't great, it certainly isn't awful. We're still an inexperienced young man fighting with sword and sorcery through a mess of politics, with multiple morality-based endings in store. And there are in-game achievements! Sort of. Also the music's by that Sakimoto guy everyone seems to love.
Yes I know about Legend of the Zenobian Prince go away

This will be a "show off everything worth showing" run. Standard LP stuff, please don't spoil junk we haven't seen yet, and especially don't spoil THE BIG THING if you're one of seven people who played this game (there's a big thing I promise). Updates will (hopefully) be at least weekly.

Oh man, pick me pick me!!!

I'll almost certainly conscript goons into this (small) army, but please hold your horses for a couple updates!

Looper fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Update 1 - Introduction
Update 2 - Scabellum
Update 3 - Vespa
Update 4 - Organization
Update 5 - Vespa 2, feat. Glycinia
Update 6 - Formido
Update 7 - Ardea
Update 8 - Urodela
Update 8.5 - Decisions
Update 9 - Sufrir
Update 10 - Arena
Update 11 - Rana

Class Chat 1

Book of Initiation: Awarded for dodging three (3) physical attacks in a row. Required for Swordmaster.

Knight's Certificate: Awarded to courageous warriors who receive fifteen (15) counterattacks. Required for Knight.

Miracle: Awarded for miraculous dodging with less than 5% of one's health remaining. Increases critical hit rate.

Sniper: Awarded for five (5) successful bow attacks in a row. Raises agility by 10.

Vixen's Whisper: Awarded for using feminine wiles to recruit one (1) male enemy. Required for Witch. (Women only)

Lancer: Awarded for attacking two (2) enemies at the same time with a spear. Required for Valkyrie.

Heavenly Spirit: Awarded for casting healing magic twenty (20) times. Required for Priest.

Looper fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 17, 2014

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Xyteginia.

Hey, that's us! Let's get this thing started.

I'm more concerned with my new family name...When I hear the name "Loeher," it just doesn't sound right. I'd rather it hadn't changed at all.

Someone has a new dad! And isn't too happy about it.

Come on, don't be so cold. Once our ship departs, you won't be able to see her for a while.

This bluedark-haired knight is our hero and, as you might expect, starts off more than a little naive.

It sounds like you think this'll be a vacation! I'm not sure you realize what we're getting ourselves into.
Excuse me, Commander Lasanti.

Rictor here is our dark-haired knight's best friend and foil, not unlike Vyce and Dio from other Ogre Battle games. Though this time around, the bro is in charge.

This may be my first time commanding...but I am expecting a lot from you.
Count on me, Sir.

Tension, or more friendly ribbing? You decide!

Uhh

We don't have time for that. We set sail early tomorrow.

But tradition!

What's wrong with you today? Why the sudden interesting in fortune telling?

Contrived tradition!

Well, do as you like. I'm heading back. You better return soon, too.
Yes, I know.

hints influence their path. Welcome. Please enter your name and date of birth.

Oh well okay then.

Please enter our name and date of birth.

Our hero's default name is Alphonse, but that's too boring and canony! Eight (8) characters max.

Like any good fantasy setting, the Ogre Battle world features its own calender, though any influence this has on the gameplay is beyond my mortal ken. Maybe it affects fortune and biorhythm, who knows? Who cares. Give our boy a birthday.

Six fates determine your path in life, whispering in the recesses of your mind... They take form and scream out, "Let it begin!"

The Bearer asks:

uh

The Wanderer asks:

goons???

The Builder asks:

The Sage asks:

The Leader asks:

The Almighty asks:

So yeah, as is customary, Knight of Lodis starts us off with a bunch of vague personality questions. These determine quite a few things: Al's element, his alignment, his stats, our starting troops, our starting inventory, and Al's first emblem (more on emblems later). That said, I don't have any particular preferences and will likely end up replacing everyone at some point, so go ahead, design your plans of hatred and share your visions of terror. Moving on!

I really love the spritework in these Tactics games, Final Fantasy included.

Oh, yeah, Lodisism is basically Catholicism and the Empire likes to be buttheads in every game, like a good empire.

Archers never get fire arrows. That'd require being good.

Er umm I believe Galius is one translation for the continent where Lodis lies.

Palatinus of OB64 being one such nation.

Some rulers chose to surrender to avoid pointless sacrifice.

:smith:

...although that did not stop small conflicts from occurring. However, compared to the rest of the era, it was a time of peace.

---

The ship can be repaired, but it may take a while.
How about the captain?
He said we should wait for the storm to settle first.
Well, I guess there's nothing we can do in a situation like this. I didn't think the stormy season would come so soon. Our ship has been drifting for so long that I haven't a clue where we are. We should be thankful that the ship didn't sink.

Commander!

It's about time!

We have no idea who they are or what they want!
No way!... At a time like this!?

Hehehe. That crest, those clothes... You must be from Lodis! I'm sorry, but we can't let you land on this island. Die here!!!

Well at least he's polite about it. Also his name is Stan. This isn't important.

Who are you? What do you want with us?
We're hired men. We were told to give the knights from Lodis a warm welcome!

Woah hold on a sec plural knights??

Finally, this is going on long enough. Let's do th-

Don't worry about them all. Just defeat the leader!

You're not the boss of me!

And apparently I'm not the boss of you! Seeing as this is the tutorial battle, everyone but Alphonse is under AI control, as shown by Rictor's green movement range. Also shown by everyone trying to be helpful.

Some of them have bows. An arrow could come from any direction. Be alert!

Archers in KoL are not nearly the dominant force they are in Let Us Cling Together.

Orson, the archer and Rictor's advisor, demonstrates.

Our turn at last!

Too bad all the fun's over there.

Look! There's a kid among these glorious knights.
Shut your mouth! I'm a true knight of Felis!!!

First we're plural knights and now we're not even from Lodis? Make up your mind!

Calm down, Alphonse! Don't let your temper flare!
"Besides, we're the same age you ninny."

Hahaha. Hey, kid... You scared?

The red guys carry out their turn. That's kind of a big thing! Instead of turn order being determined by agility and action time, each side moves all at once, like in Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. One turn victories are quite possible in Defeat Leader maps like this, but that's a ways away.

Also like those less-tactics-more-strategic games, attacks from melee range are guaranteed to receive counter-attacks, unless you strike from behind as Lara, that female soldier, proves for us.

Justin says, as he charges in the fray and attacks anyone but the leader.

This game's battle system is fairly self-explanatory, but I'll go more in-depth once we get a real squad going.

Rictor uses holy magic from afar.

He's in charge for a reason.

99% odds, aw yeah!

And we're off to a great start!!

Sorry Stan, you are not the man.

Those cheapskates! Victory usually earns you cash and some loot from defeated enemies. In this case we get Stan's axe and a Cup of Life. The especially greedy may wish to prolong the battle and kill everyone, but there isn't anything noteworthy here.

---

Our presence was requested by the people of Anser. It must be forces from the North that attacked us.
Anser is in the South and Rananculus in the North. Is the conflict between the two really that bad?
It's more than a conflict. There's a sizeable forest that separates them. Winter snows block both land and sea routes. They've not associated with each other for hundreds of years.
And then, unexpectedly, soldiers from the North crossed the border... What is your father, the Duke of Felis, saying about this?
To be honest, he doesn't seem very concerned. It's happened several times before, but he ignored the situation. This time, at the people's request, he finally decided to do something.
I see. When I received these orders, I was surprised by how small our force was and that most of the knights were inexperienced, like me.
My father didn't want to go to the trouble of sending the main forces, so he sent me to take care of things instead.

Not really...just curious.
Well, if we need more soldiers we can just hire some. It's cheaper than sending reinforcements by ship.

Acknowledging gameplay mechanics!

Since my father became the Duke, he's been very stingy. I don't have much admiration for him.

Aw bonding over dad probs.

Will you eventually go to Galius to become a priest of the Church?

Rictor's class is High Priest by the way, so I think he's okay!

I don't know anymore. My father wants me to inherit his position as Duke so he can hold the reins of power even in retirement.

By the way, didn't you say that you've visited Ovis before?

Ovis being this island we're looking for. Incidentally it means sheep. Worth keeping in mind. Felis means cat but that isn't as immediately thematically appropriate.

I was only a child. I can barely remember.

Suddenly!

drat! That soldier got in the way...

Lara dispatches the assassin a bit too late.

Find him!

Bet you're expecting some joke about how short this game is! Maybe later.

---

So yeah, I need:
-an eight (8) character name
-a birthday
-answers to those six (6) weird questions

Get cracking!

Looper fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 4, 2014

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Let's name this knight, Mercury, and give him a birthday of May 5.

As for the questions, I pick resolve, longevity, prosperity, victory, sadness, & control. Dunno if they'll do any good for the game, but I think they're appropriate for the knight. Especially when you consider what'll happen to him at the end of the game.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Being my first Ogre Battle game as well, this game holds a special place in my heart. Trying my best not to suggest a spoilery name, let's go with:

Bedivere

Birthday: 12/5

Questions: Truth, Belief, Wisdom, Victory, Mercy, Peace

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Great to see Knight of Lodis get LPed! It was my first game in the Tactics Ogre series as well. Looper, I like the way your commentary is informative in a very casual way. I think it's a good writing style for introducing the game. Though, explaining things like Biorhythm might require more depth.

On a related note, Yasumi Matsuno's working on a new game Unsung Story which just got Kickstarted successfully. I backed to participate in a design capacity, so I'll definitely be watching the thread to see what people like/don't like!

Canonical Birthday: Tierra 22
Answers: Truth, Freedom, Wisdom, Purity, Mercy, Peace

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 26, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't know much about these games, so I'm gonna go with default name of Alphonse

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CatsPajamas posted:

Great to see Knight of Lodis get LPed! It was my first game in the Tactics Ogre series as well. Looper, I like the way your commentary is informative in a very casual way. I think it's a good writing style for introducing the game. Though explaining things like Biorhythm might require more depth.

Canonical Birthday: Tierra 22

Going with this birthday. Default name too.

The six answers...

Truth, Belief, Wisdom, Purity, Mercy, Peace

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 26, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Looper posted:

Bet you're expecting some joke about how short this game is! Maybe later.

Finally, someone who doesn't make that joke at every opportunity. :golfclap: I respect that.

Name: Alphonse
Birthday: Tierra 22
Answers: Truth, Freedom, Wisdom, Purity, Mercy, Peace

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I picked this game up when it was released, but only played a few missions. When the LuCT remake got announced I went on an Ogre battle rampage and went through this game. I was actually pleasantly at it, and found the game to be rather charming. I stumbled on the true ending, but I'm pretty sure I missed a ton of stuff so I'm glad you're showing stuff off.

No votes. Just glad someone's taken up this game.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Delita
12/21
sacrifice, belief, strife, revenge, terror, control

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Ah, this game. It may not have the kind of convoluted political maneuvering you'd expect from a Tactics Ogre spinoff, or the complex game mechanics either. But it has mermaids!

Alphonse is an okay name, but it doesn't really roll off the tongue. Let's shorten it to Fonzie. Make his birthday 4/20 because who cares, and make his answers Sacrifice, Freedom, Strife, Victory, Terror, and Change.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, I played this ages ago. Got all the way to the end, bit it, and lost my Gameboy.

Reinhard von Loeher
03/14
Resolve, Belief, Strife, Revenge, Terror, Control

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Name: Iskander

Birthday: March 27th

Answers: Truth, because of all things, it is the truth which is most shaped by man. Belief, because men are the sum of their beliefs, and our world is seen through the eyes of perception. Wisdom, because with wisdom comes the power to shape truth, discern belief, and see a plan to its end. Fruition, because a plan not supported by the will to achieve is destined to go nowhere. Sadness, because it takes a strong man to acknowledge his own weakness, and to trust enough in others to allow them to support him. And change because it is through change and hardship that true strength and real belief is weeded out from what is false and weak.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Wow, I played this ages ago. Got all the way to the end, bit it, and lost my Gameboy.

Reinhard von Loeher
03/14
Resolve, Belief, Strife, Revenge, Terror, Control

Going with this option

Gotta love Pie Day

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013
I think Galius is Lodis's capital.

Name him Lance

6/14

truth, wealth, strife, victory, terror, change.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh god I remember this game, it was supposed to tide me over until FFTA came out! Good times... Then Quest mode happened. :magical:
As for leader info let's try:
Name: Alonzo
5/7
resolve, longevity, prosperity, victory, sadness, & control.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Answers: Resolve, Wealth, Hatred, Revenge, Terror, Control. Purely because it's late enough at night that my mind somehow saw those choices and made me think Batman.

I'm going to second AnonymousIdiot with the name, since it's only appropriate to have an Ogre game with Mercury involved, although I say his birthday is September 5th was.

I have never, ever played an Ogre game that wasn't The March of the Black Queen, nor have I paid much attention to any of the other LPs on here about the Tactics game. I'm kinda curious about what I've missed.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
Mercury
8/27
truth, belief, hatred, fruition, sadness, glory

Glad to see this being done. I hope it isn't as prone to burnout as some of the other Ogre games are.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Name:Khaine
Date:7/13
Choices:Sacrifice,Freedom,Hatred,Revenge,Sadness,Glory.

I made a terrible character. Ah, well. Hopefully he'll do his part for the cause!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Lots of variety in names! The default Alphonse and the queenly Mercury are tied at three each, but I'm not quite ready to close the vote yet anyway.

Interestingly, your personality answers are pretty varied! Only burdens of affection and visions of bliss have yet to receive a vote, guess our boy doesn't need such namby-pamby stuff.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Let's name this knight, Mercury, and give him a birthday of May 5.

As for the questions, I pick resolve, longevity, prosperity, victory, sadness, & control. Dunno if they'll do any good for the game, but I think they're appropriate for the knight. Especially when you consider what'll happen to him at the end of the game.

I like Mercury as well, with all of these answers.

This was also my first (and only) Tactics Ogre game, glad you're LPing it.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Looper posted:

Lots of variety in names! The default Alphonse and the queenly Mercury are tied at three each, but I'm not quite ready to close the vote yet anyway.

Interestingly, your personality answers are pretty varied! Only burdens of affection and visions of bliss have yet to receive a vote, guess our boy doesn't need such namby-pamby stuff.
I'm going to change my name vote to Alphonse, just because we've already had an Ogre LP starring Freddie Gallant Mercury.

Personally, I answered the personality questions to min/max as much as possible. Not that it matters all that much, but some of the results you can get are pretty clearly terrible (mostly because Alphonse is a dude, and dudes make for terrible mages in this game with only one special exception). And that is why everyone should vote for my weird answers to these stupid questions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I'm going to change my name vote to Alphonse, just because we've already had an Ogre LP starring Freddie Gallant Mercury.

Personally, I answered the personality questions to min/max as much as possible. Not that it matters all that much, but some of the results you can get are pretty clearly terrible (mostly because Alphonse is a dude, and dudes make for terrible mages in this game with only one special exception). And that is why everyone should vote for my weird answers to these stupid questions.

Same answers as this guy, but I vote for Mercury.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Alphonse seems like a cool dude, much like The Fonz. He'll value affection, freedom, wisdom, victory, bliss, and peace.

Tactics ogre seems like a pretty cool series, but i've only every played LUCT on the psp. I was pretty terrible at it too! These graphics are super nostalgic though, since they remind me of FFTA.

EDIT: I forgot to include his birthday, 1/15

Grimpond fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 28, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thirding Fonzie because this game (mostly) takes itself way too seriously. Birthday 9/23. And let's go with... affection, wealth, prosperity, fruition, bliss and glory because that's what I'd never pick.

edit:

Grimpond posted:

Tactics ogre seems like a pretty cool series, but i've only every played LUCT on the psp. I was pretty terrible at it too! These graphics are super nostalgic though, since they remind me of FFTA.

I believe it's the same engine; a lot of mechanics are the same too. I'd say this is a better game than FFTA, though, although it gets really slow at times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Okay, calling this here! Our hero shall be henceforth known as Mercury, born on Tierra 22nd (or February 15th to us), and, well, you'll just have to wait and see what all those answers do! There was a tie in the personality quiz, but I just asked a roommate left that one to fate.

Now, technically variations of Alphonse received more votes but they were also all scattered around. Fear not, however, for we just might be seeing that name crop up again in the future. An alternate name for an alternate path through life, y'might say.

anilEhilated posted:

I believe it's the same engine; a lot of mechanics are the same too. I'd say this is a better game than FFTA, though, although it gets really slow at times.

If Wikipedia is the trusted source I know it to be, KoL and FFTA actually were made by the same team after some cross-company shenanigans, which explains quite a bit and also raises a question or two.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Most depressing thing about this game to me is they made my favorite classes, the berserker class line, NPC only.

I forget, are Terror Knights / Evil Ones even in this game?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I don't believe there are Terror Knights but it's been ages so I'm not 100% sure.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Although I was familiar with sRPGs, I believe this was my very first. It was so hard to find when it came out, and it was more expensive than most other GBA games at the time, but I played it all summer and many times since then. I was also considering doing an LP of this but I'm more than happy to watch. A solid game and in my option, is better than FFT:A in a lot of ways.

Question though for TC will you be showing off both paths or just one

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lotish posted:

Most depressing thing about this game to me is they made my favorite classes, the berserker class line, NPC only.

I forget, are Terror Knights / Evil Ones even in this game?
Not really. :( There's another enemy-only class that could have very easily been Terror Knights, but we won't be seeing them for a while.

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Question though for TC will you be showing off both paths or just one

Looper posted:

Now, technically variations of Alphonse received more votes but they were also all scattered around. Fear not, however, for we just might be seeing that name crop up again in the future. An alternate name for an alternate path through life, y'might say.
:)

Update incoming!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Scabellum

Last time, our hero had just been shot! Let's see how things turned out.

Haha that sure was a good joke right guys??

---

Where am I?

Well...not too bad.
...Good. You've been asleep for a long time... This is a church in Solea. You were washed up on the beach outside.
Did you save me...? Miss...?

I'm not a nun, but I am helping the priest of this church. A...Are you from Lodis?
I am a knight of Felis.

I would joke about titular inaccuraces again, but maybe Mercury's just being cautious here. Lodis doesn't have the best reputation.

...My name's Mercury, Mercury Loeher. We were headed for this island by ship, but a storm hit and we lost our way. With our ship in shambles, we were attacked by pirates.
Did you fall overboard?

Yeah man swimming's kinda hard after getting shot.

(giggle) Maybe a mermaid saved you. There aren't many left, but some still live around here.
Mermaid? A woman with a fish's tail?

In a world filled with fairies and dragons, this is like someone thinking Australians aren't real. Maybe he hit his head on the way down.

It was a long time ago, but once I saw a beautiful mermaid. Her whole body was shining in gold...

Without even knocking,

Looks like you have almost fully recovered.
Who are you?

I was once a soldier of Rananculus, but now I am on my own. Eleanor, may I speak with him a little?
Of course.

Eleanor there's giving us a moment and then standing right there.

Was that with the northern White Fant Troops, the cause of this island's troubles?
That's right, but that was nearly 10 years ago. Eleanor told me about what happened to you. I wanted to speak to you. Felis... The Order of the Sacred Flame... You were sent here by Lodis at the request of Anser?

Yeah, you might call us the answer to their prayers. :downsrim:

I've heard that, in Scabellum, there's a group of knights in unfamiliar armor. Are they comrades of yours?
Hmm...

He might be naive in some areas, but Merc's also pretty level-headed. This lady's asking a lot of questions.

There are no organized troops in the south, and their accent and manners are different. Rumors spread quickly.
We were separated by the storm. If this is true, then I must contact them.
I have some errands to take care of in Scabellum, so I'll go with you. I'll come again tomorrow. See you then.

How convenient! Ivanna takes her leave.

I appreciate your kindness. I will leave here tomorrow afternoon. Thank you.

Mercury's trying to keep it professional, but Eleanor goes for the critical meaningful pause.

Father Hamen's calling me. I have to go.
Father Hamen?
He's the priest here...and my foster father. Ah...I'm coming!

Dad probs for everyone!

---

Anyway, here we are finally at the world map. It's pretty nice, very mappy. I approve. Right away you can see we actually weren't too far off the mark last chapter! Buildings are towns/places of basic civilization, and that weird barrel thing is for untamed areas. Barrels (seriously what is that) are basically tall grass in that you can randomly stumble upon filler fights while moving across them, but we don't need to worry about that yet. Blue areas have been cleared, red have not and are (almost!) always where the next story mission lies.

We can't really do much else at the moment, so off we go.

Since the White Fang Troops arrived, the people in the towns around here have been more cautious. This port used to be bustling with activity.

Looks like a chaotic unit tried to capture a lawful town. Ogre Battle jokes!

Footsteps in the distance...

Who's there?

I love GBA percussion almost as much as I hate GBA brass.

without first introducing yourself!

Generic units all have both allied and enemy portrait colors. I'm sorry for not getting both sets and also for spoiling Mullin's long-term survivability.

The woman in the middle looks like a knight of Rananculus. They've already filtered into this town. We may have no choice but to fight them.
She's...from Rananculus?
I'd guess from her attire that she's a spellcaster. Mercury, be mindful of the elements. You know about the four natural forces that protect us, right?

Uggghh lemme fight already! Fine, let's talk mechanics. Here's the deal. Like every other fantasy game ever there are four elements: Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water (there's also Virtue and Bane but shh). However, instead of there being some kind of circular relationship of effectiveness, you just have three mutually antagonistic pairs. Water and Fire each deal bonus damage to each other, and so on. I guess you could think of it as this game's version of the zodiac system from FFT.

How annoying. If you get in our way, we'll kill you.

Every battle will have you either defeat the leader (story stuff) or defeat everyone (everything else). Pretty straightforward.

Hey that's still a lot of stuff! So let's go through it bit by bit. You've got your HPs and your MPs and your movement ranges, but if you look in the bottom right, you can see our movement isn't a whole number. That .7 doesn't actually affect anything, but it does let you know how close you are to an extra point of move. Movement is dependent on class, agility, and equipment, with more defensive gear obviously weighing you down. That foot in the bottom middle is Mercury's movement type, which in this case is just standard walking. Mages like Mullin are trudgers who have a harder time moving through rough terrain. That drowning stick figure next door lets you know how much of a power drain that unit gets when fighting in the water. Mercury, and most units, don't do too well in the stuff.

Right now Merc can only attack, use items, or wait, which we do. You can also see some results from our personality quiz. Mercury is of Neutral alignment and the Wind element, which I'm okay with. Both are pretty easy to change in this game, if you ever find reason to. Now, you might be wondering what that bizarre rainbow bar is for, and I'll tell you! When it becomes relevant. Which won't be today.

Like I said last time, each side carries out all their actions at once. Good time for a bathroom break!

The enemy archer (technically a soldier) steps up for the first strike, but Mercury's having none of that.

Book of Initiation emblem acquired.

Good job, Merc! Gold star! Emblems are-

By meeting set requirements, characters can earn emblems. Emblems can be necessary for changing class, but they also make nice mementos. The emblems characters can earn depend on their sex and race. More info can be obtained in the character status screens.

Yeah that. The Book of Initiation is earned by dodging/blocking three physical attacks in a row, which can obviously carry over from previous battles. It's a requirement for the Swordmaster class.

Knowing we're outnumbered, Ivanna decides to play it safe.

So Mercury charges ahead. Most of this is pretty self-explanatory. You can see projected damage and accuracy for both attack and counter-attack. That wiggly arrow at the top will change from red to blue if the target can't counter. And yeah, everyone counter-attacks by default if they can!

Anyway, the streak continues!

He's unstoppable!

Aw, it was a good run. These first fights are pretty hard to lose, even without a healer.

All that carnage did net Mercury his first level, though! 100 exp = 1 level, with experience gain being weighted based on your target's level.

Interestingly, non-leader enemies can gain experience, too! There's a specific reason for that, but we'll have to wait a bit.

Mullin, being a wizard, is quick to show off how big magic ranges are in this game.

Mercury, the enemy's going to use a spell. A spell that is the same element as the caster can be very powerful, so be careful.

:geno:

Mullin is actually wind element and has a wind spell, but like elements do less damage. Not that it makes any difference here.

At the beginning of Turn 3...

They're too much for us! We've got to do something!

And you as well!
We'll celebrate our reunion after we deal with these rogues.

Seeing we're no longer outnumbered, Ivanna decides to start contributing.

I'm almost done tutorializing, I promise! There's a lot of stuff in the upper right corner, see? First is the altitude of the selected tile relative to the lowest point on the map. Next to it is what type of tile it is. All those colored dots represent the elements and their effectiveness on that specific tile. Since we're standing on cobblestones, we get a slight bonus to our Earth defense and a slight hit to Wind defense (which we don't need anyway, being Wind element ourselves). There are very slight modifiers for non-elemental attacks below. You also can see Mercury's level gave him enough agility to boost his movement by a whole .1!

Now that she's helping, Ivanna packs a punch. She's a knight, which is basically better than a soldier in every way.

Meanwhile, Mullin shows off her specialty spell.

Rictor takes it on the chin.

He's still packing Lightning Bow and it's still just as good.

Now, you may have noticed defeated enemies magically turning into bags last time. Almost every enemy will drop loot upon defeat. This will range from piddly healing items to gamebreaking magic, so you wanna be sure to grab everything. Unclaimed loot will be automatically picked up at the end of battle (guaranteeing you the boss's item), but enemies can and will (unintentionally) jack your hard-earned spoils so don't be lax.

Two numbers?? Critical hits in KoL add just a bit of extra damage, but more importantly, they add a knock-back effect which results in even more damage. If you happen to kick someone off a high enough ledge, the fall hurts, too! Characters equipped with shields can choose to attack with them instead for a much weaker attack with a much higher chance of knock-back.

Anyway, with the melee dudes dead, we're closing in on the leader.

Orson's been flanking these two and making this look like a halfway strategic battle!

It's funny because everyone else's still under AI control.

Undefeated enemies will inexplicably vanish with their leader's death.

Spells are equipment in this game, so getting one for free is always nice.

---

After we were attacked, we boarded a small craft and came to this port, where we spoke to the mayor. The townspeople have been willing to provide information, but not money or soldiers.
Are they too cowardly to protect themselves?
They take our protection for granted. Since the island was subjugated by the Holy Lodis Empire, Ovis has fallen under the jurisdiction of Felis.
I've heard that some towns still have a grudge against Lodis because of the Reformation.

Well yeah, you saw the opening.

this is Lodis' territory, but it's also true that Southerners want nothing to do with Rananculus.
They dislike both us and the people of the North.
As for the task at hand... Our mission is to investigate and resolve the conflict here. According to our information, the number of foreign soldiers and pirates has increased over the last year or two. We also heard that pirates were spotted here a few days ago, so we hid and waited for their return. Then you showed up.
The White Fang Troops are under the direct order of the Lord of Rananculus. He must have some hand in the current problems.
The Batraals... They've ruled Rananculus for generations. The current lord is Naris. Before inheriting that title, he was the head knight of the White Fang Troops.

A lot of this exposition is the kind of thing that'd fit into a Warren Report, which this game unfortunately and understandably lacks.

I doubt this is merely a show of power... So, have you discovered their intentions?
No. I'm not certain of anything yet. They've been acting in small groups. Their leader's a knight, but the rest seem to be disorderly fellows, maybe bandits. Oddly enough, they've made no demands, they've just been excavating ruins and collecting old books.

Sounds harmless!

Well, I doubt they're here merely as historians. What do you estimate their numbers to be?
We know little about their strength or true objective, but we do know that the troops which are causing the recent problems are stationed by the ruins southeast of Naja. Their leader is Nichart Briffaut, a knight of Rananculus.

I think you can see why I opted for a Queen subtitle.

Will you attack them head on?
No. If we attack them directly, the enemy will have the advantage because they're more familiar with this area. Therefore, my plan is to attack them from the flanks. That way, they'll have their backs to the ocean. I'll go through the forest, and you'll cross Vespa Hill and attack from the west.

Fancy talk for "no you don't get Rictor yet too bad."

But, we are too few to divide in half.

How do you pronounce goth? I go for a long o sound because the alternative doesn't fit in a wallet too well.

Prepare your troops using these campaign funds. Enter the ruins while we lure their main force out. Capture the leader and find out their purpose.
Alright.

Now you can use the "Organize," "Training," and "Shop" commands. Always be prepared and make sure your troops are well-organized.

Blah blah blah. Next time, we do none of these things!

---
Alphonse Mercury Official Art

Looper fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 17, 2014

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I always loved these games, but haven't played them in years. Looking foward to the LP!

Also I'm not sure if its on my end or not, but the music links in the first post don't seem to load right. The opening music seems to cut off early, and the rest don't play at all.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Weee, exposition~ truly the most difficult level of any RPG.

The music links still work for me. Gotta love that GBA sound.

Nevermind, I'm wrong. They don't work for me anymore either.

Grimpond fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 4, 2014

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I always loved these games, but haven't played them in years. Looking foward to the LP!

Also I'm not sure if its on my end or not, but the music links in the first post don't seem to load right. The opening music seems to cut off early, and the rest don't play at all.

That's really bizarre and I have no idea what caused the problem, but I went ahead and reuploaded everything. Thanks for letting me know!

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

They all play fine now, awesome!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I actually can't tell if that's supposed to be Rictor or Eleanor in the cover art.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

:iiam:

I'd say Ricter at first glance, but compared to his sprite the colors don't quite match.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Seyser Koze posted:

I actually can't tell if that's supposed to be Rictor or Eleanor in the cover art.
It's Eleanor. Rictor has a ponytailish thing at the end of his hair, at least on his sprite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Probably my biggest complaint about this game mechanically is the turn system. Unlike other sRPGs where speed determines turn order, you can move your team in any order and battles are split into blue phase and red phase. You get to make all your moves first, which is a HUGE advantage, especially with some of the later abilities. It makes an admittedly already easy game just that much easier.

Really looking forward to next update.

• Locked thread