Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Neurion posted:

♪ I just gotta get out of this prison cell ♪
♪ Someday I'm gonna be freee ♪

Awww yeah. Quest Mode's gonna solve all of our problems!

...once we're a high enough level to survive the first map, anyways.

Quest mode rewards snap the game wide open.

Well, moreso than it already is, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
I shot a man :toot:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

quote:

Are you going to take name requests for those soldiers you persuaded? I'm a little late reading this LP, but I think you took some names for the soldiers you hired earlier. If so, I think 'Fleeman' would work well for that dude.

Website | YouTube | Twitter

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You don't need any kind of special emblem to turn into a ninja, but there are prereqs for other classes? They must be pretty awesome.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hosed up some kneecaps. May or may not be based off a true story.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

Glazius posted:

You don't need any kind of special emblem to turn into a ninja, but there are prereqs for other classes? They must be pretty awesome.

There are prerequisite emblems for a bunch of classes. It's been a while since I've played, but off the top of my head, I can recall Knight, Valkyrie, Priest, Witch, and Warlock all require emblems to upgrade. Also, I recall some of the upgradable classes kinda suck, although I don't recall which.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FriskyBoat posted:

There are prerequisite emblems for a bunch of classes. It's been a while since I've played, but off the top of my head, I can recall Knight, Valkyrie, Priest, Witch, and Warlock all require emblems to upgrade. Also, I recall some of the upgradable classes kinda suck, although I don't recall which.

There's also Swordmaster, Dragoon, Siren, and Angel Knight. Most of the classes are decent if not good, the only one I don't bother with is Witch.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Glazius posted:

Ninjas are always an early melee-mook class in Ogre Battle games. They're not that impressive. I think it's because they're part of an army -- remember, ninjas get weaker the more allies they have. A single ninja is an unstoppable killing machine, but an army of ninja couldn't kill a bottle of white zin. :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

zfleeman posted:

Are you going to take name requests for those soldiers you persuaded? I'm a little late reading this LP, but I think you took some names for the soldiers you hired earlier. If so, I think 'Fleeman' would work well for that dude.

Nah, I'm not using persuaded enemies mostly because you can't actually change their names. All our troops'll be totally homegrown. Those two guys and whatever follows are around just so I can make some quick money and because the Persuasion mechanic is a really cool thing that I use too much. That said, your name's on The Big List!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Mini-Update: Classchat 1

Right, so we've seen a decent number of classes (okay mostly soldiers) in action by now, let's talk about them! This is probably obvious, but I feel I should preface this by reminding everyone I'm not the KoL World Champion. These are just my opinions! (This is an invitation for others to effortpost about this junk if they so desire.)

Soldier
Human, M/F
Required Stats: None
Required Emblem: None
Preferred Weapon: None
Good at persuading: Soldiers
Stat Growths (this stat goes up by that much per level):
HP: 8
MP: 2
STR: 4
INT: 4
AGI: 5

Notes: The building blocks of all other (human) classes, soldiers actually aren't as bad as you might expect. Sure, they aren't great but they aren't utter garbage. I mean that HP growth's pretty good (it's actually the highest among human classes, and second highest overall). Their lack of a favorite weapon just means they can use anything! Female soldiers actually do kinda get the short end of the stick though; women get most of the magic classes and that MP growth isn't a good start. Anyway, they're the mediocre starting class. That's pretty much it.

Cleric
Human, M/F
Required Stats: INT 28, MP 18, Neutral or Lawful
Preferred Weapon: Staves
Good at persuading: Clerics
Stat Growths:
HP: 5
MP: 5
STR: 3
INT: 7
AGI: 4

Notes: Clerics heal things. That's pretty much all they can do, but they do it really well. They can equip three (3) Virtue spells for all your health and ailment needs, and should we ever maybe run into unnatural denizens of the darkness, clerics can handle them. The big problem with clerics is that healing just doesn't earn you much experience, and whatever scipplay is, it isn't good for hitting dudes. It can be a pain to keep clerics up to par with the rest of your team without feeding them kills, and even then, you maaay not wanna do that for a reason I'll get to later. That said, they do have one of the highest INT growths whenever you do manage to get a level. They also take hits as well as mages ever do, but magic has such enormous range in this game that it shouldn't be an issue. Oddly for a starting class, clerics don't really get to shine right now since we don't have any of the more interesting Virtue spells.

Ninja
Human, M/F
Required Stats: STR 36, AGI 37
Preferred Weapon: Katana
Good at persuading: Ninjas, Archers
Stat Growths:
MP: 3
AGI: 7

Notes: I like ninjas. They're really good for this first part of the game! Their stats are honestly not great other than AGI, but they more than make up for it with sheer utility. Ninjas have really high movement, they can cross bumpy terrain better than any other walking class, they can straight up walk on water, they can learn one (1) offensive spell of any basic element, they have a free physical ranged attack, and they're ninjas. They don't even need equipment to be useful, as Kamui keeps proving. Admittedly, ninjas taper off as stat growths start asserting themselves, and they take damage almost as poorly as casters (when they actually get hit), but I'd argue they're probably the best class for where we are. Some of these early classes get replaced or upgraded later in the game, but ninjas remain unique throughout! Even at the end of the game, they still make good decoys if nothing else. Ninjas are cool.

Knight
Human, M/F
Required Stats: STR 51, AGI 53, Neutral or Lawful
Required Emblem: Knight's Certificate
Preferred Weapon: Swords
Good at persuading: Knights
Really good at persuading: Soldiers
Stat Growths:
HP: 7
MP: 3
STR: 6
AGI: 5

Notes: Knights are okay. I mean yeah sure they're good to the point where a team of them could beat the game more easily than any of these other classes, but I dunno, they're just kinda boring. Knights are basically upgraded soldiers with the added bonus of one (1) basic Virtue spell, which will almost certainly be Heal. In a sense, they're way better healers at the beginning of the game than the dedicated healer class because they can do it from the front lines without worrying about getting clobbered. They're also as physically tough as you'd expect, though that'll become less impressive once magic becomes more prominent. Among these starting classes, knights definitely have the best longevity, probably because you get them last (other than Ivanna, who cheated). Also their sprites look goofy.

Wizard
Human, M/F
Required Stats: INT 26, MP 16, Neutral or Chaotic
Preferred Weapon: Staves
Good at persuading: Wizards
Stat Growths:
MP: 6
STR: 3
INT: 6
AGI: 4

Notes: Wizards (Witches being their own class), get three (3) attack spells of any basic element and the stats to use them. We haven't really gotten to see them in action thanks to our starting party, but wizards are basically what archers wish they were. Solid ranged damage. The balance of cheap bullet spells with expensive AoE spells gives them some okay versatility, as does the obvious ability to hit elemental weaknesses. One could argue that wizards are useless on the first turn due to the game's MP system, but that applies to pretty much everyone due to the size of most maps anyway. Plus MP problems can be alievated pretty easily with the abundance of restoratives available to you. Wizards have standard defense problems, but most spells have a range of 6-7 spaces (or, greater than most units' movement), so just don't get reckless. They also adhere to that natural law stating lady mages must be young and attractive while men must have venerable wizardbeards.

Archers
Human, M/F
Required Stats: AGI 37
Preferred Weapon: Bows
Good at persuading: Archers, Ninjas
Stat Growths:
HP: 6
MP: 2
INT: 3
AGI: 6

Notes: I don't like archers. I think this is mostly from playing LUCT, and I know they aren't terrible, they're just...bland. Archers really suffer more than any other class from the lack of a real ability system like FFT and LUCT have. They have bows, they shoot them. Sometimes they hit things out of range. The problem comes from the fact that other classes (races, rather) just do the archer's job better. They take bits better than magical classes, but then, why are they in the fray in the first place? They have good agility, but little to really make use of it. Bows work best from the heights, but archers don't have the movement to get there easily. I mean, archers aren't bad, I don't really think this game has any outright awful classes. They're just kinda there. They have cute hats I guess.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Looper posted:

Lots of stuff about beginning classes

As EXP gains are determined by the target's level vs. the user's level, I would occasionally have my cleric target a high level foe and heal them. Not only will they gain more EXP, but it increases how many hits my other fighters can get in on the foe, leading to higher EXP gain for them as well!

Fun fact: This fellow's graphics are based off of the Fusilier Rindl from LUCT.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Looper posted:

Nah, I'm not using persuaded enemies mostly because you can't actually change their names. All our troops'll be totally homegrown. Those two guys and whatever follows are around just so I can make some quick money and because the Persuasion mechanic is a really cool thing that I use too much. That said, your name's on The Big List!

You mentioned before that you knew how to edit us into special classes, no?

For (internal) Slot 1, aka Mercury, the name begins at Codebreaker address 82000060 XXYY.

YY is the first letter, XX is the second.

82000060 BBAA
82000062 DDCC
82000064 FFEE
82000066 HHGG
82000068 JJII
8200006A LLKK
8200006C NNMM
8200006E PPOO

Names can be 15 characters long (plus null byte), though ideally you won't go over 10 or so. First letter is AA, second is BB, and so on. Bytes for each character that is worth putting in below:

00 = A
01 = B
02 = C
03 = D
04 = E
05 = F
06 = G
07 = H
08 = I
09 = J
0A = K
0B = L
0C = M
0D = N
0E = O
0F = P
10 = Q
11 = R
12 = S
13 = T
14 = U
15 = V
16 = W
17 = X
18 = Y
19 = Z
1A = a
1B = b
1C = c
1D = d
1E = e
1F = f
20 = g
21 = h
22 = i
23 = j
24 = k
25 = l
26 = m
27 = n
28 = o
29 = p
2A = q
2B = r
2C = s
2D = t
2E = u
2F = v
30 = w
31 = x
32 = y
33 = z

64 is a period (for J. Totes), FF is null terminator. When you are done with the name, put a null terminator in the next byte slot to finish. So, if you were to spell out Mercury in first slot...

82000060 1E0C
82000062 1C2B
82000064 2B2E
82000066 FF32

To the beginning address, 82000060, add 68 in hex using Windows calculator to get to the next slot. So, second slot's name would begin at 820000C8. Be warned that this is in order of character recruitment, NOT what they look like in the organization screen (except Guests, they're tacked on at the end until they join you properly I believe)! This saves into the game once applied, so no need to keep the code on once you get it right.

So, back up save, load save, apply code, check formation screen to see if you got the right slot, disable code, save the game, done.

Have fun with name hacking! It's nice that you can make the names a tiny bit longer.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 4, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

EDIT: Bah, double.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I always thought Archers in LUCT (although I've only played the remake) were really powerful, especially with height advantage? They hit hard and have enormous range - although boring, they are quite formidable.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I've never found Archers particularly useful in this game. They are easily outclassed by most other early game units, so you're better off training any starting ones you get to be a Ninja or something. Even Orson is virtually useless by the time you get him because Archers are just that terrible.

It's a shame that unique units lose their unique sprites when you change them from their signature class in this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There is a really good reason to keep one around: Lachesis. I like archers in this game a lot, the height mechanics make the game more tactical than it really is.
edit: It could be argued that a different class with a bow does the job just as well, but come on, people, style.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Archers are basically gods in LUCT, which is why their uselessness is so jarring in this game.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Something I forgot to mention when we were introduced to our starting army is that KoL continues the Ogre Saga tradition of naming some characters after mythological deities. For example, in LUCT we had Dark Knight Barbas, Hierophant Barbatos, Swordmaster Hobyrim (Haborym in the original translation), Thunder Maiden Arycelle (poorly translated as Aloser in the original), and probably others.

So far in KoL we've got our mooks Flauros and Kamui. I'm not so sure about Allos, but I'd bet his name is also based on some mythological entity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OB64 didn't really have any characters named after deities, but did feature characters named after mythological figures like Europa, Diomedes, Magnus, Thamuz, Leia, Troi, and Sheen.

(:v:)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Name hacking stuff

Okay names can be changed via cracking the game open, but you know what I meant! And yeah, I did figure out how to screw with some stuff like classes and items, but only on a basic level. I honestly just didn't think figuring out the name stuff was worth the effort. :blush: Thanks for the writeup!

Szurumbur posted:

I always thought Archers in LUCT (although I've only played the remake) were really powerful, especially with height advantage? They hit hard and have enormous range - although boring, they are quite formidable.

They are! I should've been more clear: I dislike KoL archers more after being spoiled by LUCT.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I have a soft spot for clerics in this game because training mode lets you turn them into high-level experience pinatas with no effort at all. It makes leveling up easy, at least in the early going... I know you get more experience for hitting a target higher level than you (up to 50, maybe?) but I'm not sure how quickly that drops off.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Looper posted:

Okay names can be changed via cracking the game open, but you know what I meant! And yeah, I did figure out how to screw with some stuff like classes and items, but only on a basic level. I honestly just didn't think figuring out the name stuff was worth the effort. :blush: Thanks for the writeup!

They are! I should've been more clear: I dislike KoL archers more after being spoiled by LUCT.

If you want to mess around with all kinds of stuff I've got some fairly extensive notes on hacking the game, including modifying the ROM itself. Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to send you a copy of the note files.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Heck, send them to me too please.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Thinking about it, ninjas are better than archers at basically everything an archer is good at, archers are the good swimmers and relatively good with movement (especially as they don't need armor as much as the front liners), but ninjas have more movement, can jump higher and have a vaguely free ranged attack AND can carry a spell. Still, they are better than soldiers if you are using bows and their range is slightly better than shurikens (especially as the given range can be ignored).
Also interesting thing about is that they bows exist between the area and throw spells, they can overcome obstacles the throw types can't, but are still effected by terrain.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

If it's not too late, it'd be pretty rad if you could name a dude dmboogie somewhere down the line! Any class is fine.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Ardea

Welcome back! After some careful deliberation, I decided that one joke about having too many soldiers was totally true, so a bit of off-screen grinding training later and

Okay so Merc already graduated from Soldier School but still. He's a knight now, complete with healing.

Deneb has a destiny to fulfill.

J. Totes doesn't, but I like ninjas. Unfortunately for him, the magic pickings are a bit slim, so he's stuck with shuriken.

Geese also has a destiny. Man, soldiers have a really garbage MP growth which really blows because all the magic classes have minimum MP requirements.

Rabbi's taken up dragon taming, not that we have any dragons. Yet! Also she gets the Dragon Gem Sword since dragon tamers prefer rapiers. You'll notice they also have a spell slot.

New friend! Hawkmen are neat; they work well as archers or melee fighters or both, plus they can fly!

Also I gave Glycinia a big battle axe because I thought it was funny.

My poor wallet took a beating, though. Anyway let's g-

loving Vespa GO AWAY

Oh wait nevermind it's just a cutscene.

as planned, and Lethe's with him. Nothing of consequence seems to be happening to our west.

Speaking of which, what's the Duke of Felis's son been up to?
Rictor Lasanti's troops failed to make it through the Forest of Gryllus. He must be reestablishing his troops at the port city. Incidentally, weren't many people massacred there by soldiers of Lodis?
The village of Blete, 15 years ago... Those worshippers of nature refused to convert to Lodisism.

Bah gawd, them dern hippies!

And so, their homes were burned down as a warning to others. Nearly all the villagers escaped to the forest, but the soldiers surrounded it and set it ablaze.

Oh my god those poor hippies. :(

Also, you may remember this from the opening.

I heard that the souls of the dead still wander the forest. I can't believe they went in there. If only they had been possessed or killed by evil spirits! I must find "it" before they learn of it... Otherwise, everything will be in vain.
Sir, there's something I've been worried about... The soldier of Felis who was captured at Formido...has escaped.
Not to worry... I gave Nichart no information of consequence.
I see, sir.

She seems okay. She said she's been feeling better.
I see...

This game's villains are assholes! But now for something else entirely.

Us.

Them.

Cybil.

Brevity.

So yeah! No real talking or anything. This battle's kinda fillerish. It's also your first real introduction to flying dudes if you skipped over Glycinia, as well as your intro to water, which sucks. I mean look at it, it's everywhere.

Since water sucks and we don't really have anyone who can deal with it besides J. Totes and Glycinia, we're gonna buckle down and try to lure the enemy over to us. Being in water cuts your stats by a pretty noticeable margin so you want to stick to land as much as you can. It is possible to recruit an octopus from the shops by this point, a beast made for aquatic combat, but at 3000g a pop, uhh no thank you. Our team is pretty well set with fliers and long-range attackers though, so we'll be fine.

Cybil basically struts when she casts, but it's easy to see why.

The enemy hawkmen are your targets for today and oh my god that guy's name is Ma'dog.

Aside from Mad Dog up at the top, the enemy doesn't seem too keen on being lured in.

Thankfully, Cybil is a way better guest than Ivanna ever was. In case you missed her stat page, Cybil's Int is more than high enough to actually put the Area in AoE, hitting both of these fairies.

Also, Merc's counterattack put Mad Dog McCree in that most magical range.

Friends! :buddy:

Also aside from counters, Mercury doesn't end up hitting anybody this entire fight.

Now Deneb's dropping the rocks! While she isn't getting the AoE effect, she also isn't hitting our griffin (Cubelley from way back). The one downside of those spells is that you can't pick between one and five targets once your Int is high enough. But then, I guess that's what missile spells are for.

Griffins are basically the archers of beasts. :smith:

Of course, this applies to the enemies, too.

I got a fever, and the only prescription,

is more friends.

Here, you can see just what water (and terrain effects, to a lesser extent) does to one's output.

Same spell, same target, much better damage.

Tinkerbell here's armed with a crossbow, which favors horizontal range over vertical versatility. Still low numbers, but to be fair, this hawkman has better armor than his buddies.

J. Totes with the set-up...

The fairy persuasion sprite is kinda cute. :3:

Rabbi proves that good weapons poo poo all over water.

Unfortunately I didn't bring any beast tamers and beasts aren't smart enough to do their own persuading. You actually want to try and keep men from killing beasts. Slay more than just one and that character can't ever become a tamer, for obvious reasons! Likewise with women and dragons. Non-human classes don't need to worry.

Frocobo is the friendliest hawkman.

Geese weakens the other griffin but Mad Dog Tannen steals the kill.

(It was really Luther but his name isn't as fun.)

Merc patches him up anyway. That hawkman in the lower right is the only enemy left.

Oooh man gotta recruit this guy. :yoshi:

Wait no Mercury don't do that!

You guuuys stop ganging up on him!

Uh oh.

Darn it. :( Oh well, I guess 4/7 isn't too bad.

Now that's just adding insult to injury!

---

Would you mind explaining our current situation? I'm sure my comrades are also wondering...

Comrades being the party, not Rictor. It got confusing last time.

Oh! So you work for our boss's boss's boss? Does that make you our boss's boss or just our boss?

Boss.

Oh, you recognize it.

Most of the land there is forest and swamp. It's known as the Paradise of the Beasts.
According to a map I saw, Anser is to the south and Rananculus to the north. Right?
Yes. We're heading northwest to Urodela Cape, at the foot of the Meleagris Mountains. It's at the far western reaches of the island, and home to the only city in Tinea.
Urodela Cape? What's there?
This island was once home to many mermaids, before humans migrated here. They used to appear on the beaches and small islands, but nowadays only a few remain, and they live in the western sea.
You're looking for a mermaid? Why would someone from the Church be...? And that mark on your hand...I can't believe the rumors were true...I've heard that there are loyal members of the Church of Lodis who have the Mark of the Pope somewhere on their bodies, and that they are acting in secrecy to restore the authority of the Pope.
Interesting story. So there are those who still fear the Pope regaining power.
At Galius, the center of operations for the Church of Lodis, they collect manuscripts detailing ancient ruins, rare weapons, spells, and mythology. It is said that when people arrived at Ovis 400 years ago, the mermaids living here fought against them with a spear of light. One document says, 'Beams of light from the Sacred Spear, wielded by a beautiful mermaid, sent hundreds of soldiers to their graves...' We've been on this island since last summer, investigating whether a spear with that kind of power really exists. Unfortunately, others have also learned of the spear and are determined to obtain it.

DUN DUN DUU-okay that was kinda predictable.

Yes. I don't know why he's looking for it, but if we want to establish a strong nation based on the teachings of Lodisism, then we'd best not let him get it before us. That's why we must speak to the mermaids and bring the spear to Galius at any cost.

Armed soldiers have arrived at Urodela Cape.
Soldiers of Rananculus?
I'm not sure, but quite likely.
"Are they aware of our presence? They, too, may have discovered the relationship between the spear and the mermaids...
That's a possibility. The locals are keeping out of sight. They're probably trying to avoid any conflict.
I see...We must find a boat to take us to the mermaids' sanctuary. Maybe if we drive away the soldiers, the locals will help us as a token of appreciation.
As you wish.

Guess he can only teleport indoors.

I thought the Church of Lodis only performed religious functions. I never imagined they'd be involved in such things...
Don't ask too many questions.......It's better that you don't know. You've already turned your back on Felis, right? Then don't dwell on the past.

I know. I'll follow your orders. I'm grateful that you saved my life, and I gave you my word, but...
But what?

Hm. Oh well.

Next time, :ninja:!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man, I'd forgotten how Cybil is an absolute beast in combat! Also LUCT has spoiled me with the ability for beasts to hurl boulders as a ranged attack.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The second post is now something other than filler! You should take a look! It has pretty pictures that may or may not have always been in their corresponding updates.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Man, I know it's a handheld game and there's not much room for it, but I wish it had a Warren Report. Lots of names and places in Knight of FelisGaliusLodis.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I feel like I may have missed something, but why are we convincing so many people to join our ranks? Is it to steal their equips, sell those, and kick them out; or what?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I feel like I may have missed something, but why are we convincing so many people to join our ranks? Is it to steal their equips, sell those, and kick them out; or what?

It's to get some extra dough, y'know?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Looper posted:

Frocobo is the friendliest hawkman.

I see that I'm also Chaotic, which makes me curious as to the nature of my persuasiveness...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So when you're casting an AoE spell, do you have to target an enemy or can you target an empty square?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Glazius posted:

So when you're casting an AoE spell, do you have to target an enemy or can you target an empty square?

Empty squares are targetable.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Bregor posted:

Man, I know it's a handheld game and there's not much room for it, but I wish it had a Warren Report. Lots of names and places in Knight of FelisGaliusLodis.

As somebody who doesn't really know the TO/OB series, I'd actually like some sort of explanation of all the lore. I've only played this game so its story kind of exists in a vacuum for me. I know the big tie into LUCT but I don't know why it's relevant having never played it

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Well this LP got me to start up a game of Ogre Battle, since I've never actually finished any of the Ogre games other than Knight of Lodis. They use pretty much that same story for the ghost forest near the start of that game too. :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bregor posted:

You and me both! I think some of the clunkier, repetitive exposition is meant to try and make up for this, but it can definitely get confusing when the game can't keep its own subtitle straight. If I don't do a straight up recap of stuff, I'll at least make a writeup of the various names and places we've run into at some point.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Monetary reasons mostly, but it also helps spice things up and is probably my favorite mechanic in this game. It's fun! And it helps that I've gotten absurdly lucky with 30-40% probabilities. Once the party's average level gets high enough, our money problems will magically evaporate, but persuasion's preferable to grinding random encounters until then.

Glazius posted:

To add to the answer you already got, there's a specific reason you can target empty squares with magic that I'll show off in the next non-plot update, if it doesn't come up sooner.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

As somebody who doesn't really know the TO/OB series, I'd actually like some sort of explanation of all the lore. I've only played this game so its story kind of exists in a vacuum for me. I know the big tie into LUCT but I don't know why it's relevant having never played it

Most of the games take place in independent locations, at roughly the same era, but here's some stuff off the top of my head:

Firstly, Ogres, and Ogre Battle. The Ogre Battle was a mythical battle where demons and ogres tried to destroy humanity and take over the world. Humanity fought back, with their assortment of heroes, as well as warriors serving the gods. The good guys obviously win. Ogres and demons pop up occasionally, and this event gets references.

Lodis is a giant, religious empire. Most (if not all) of the games revolve around them, at least indirectly. They're extremely expansionist, and are taking control of most of the surrounding countries, through force or diplomacy.

Ogre Battle takes place in Zenobia and Zetenginia (with the original translation). Empress Endora had visions of Lodis taking control of Zetengina by force. She tried to ally with King Lane of Zenobia for their mutual defence, but when that fell through she invaded by force (as guided by her advisor, Rashidi) to have the combined strength of both countries. The game takes place ~20 years later, and you lead a group of rebels to liberate Zenobia, find the missing son of King Lane, Tristan, find the holy sword Brunhild, and overthrow Endora. It turns out Rashidi was up to some nefarious things, like trying to summon demons and ogres, so you end him too.

Tactics Ogre - LUCT takes place shortly after Ogre Battle, on the Island of Valeria. It's a huge mess and I don't know it was well, so you may as well check out the LP of it going on right now, but Lodis ties into it heavily. The Brunhild sword from Ogre Battle seems to have been stolen, and taken to Valeria, so King Tristan sent some of his best men (three of whom are OB characters) to investigate. They're also possibly there to thwart Lodis's efforts at gaining control of the country.

Ogre Battle 64 takes place roughly the same time as LUCT. I can barely remember this game... but I think it involves Lodis trying to gain control of another country. King Tristan again sends some of his best to intervene, this time including the main character of Ogre Battle, as well as a handful of other characters from OB. I think they reveal that Tristan is interfering in these conflicts to slow down the growth and power of Lodis, because as soon as they're able to Lodis will try to exert their influence on the new Zenobian kingdom. Ogres pop up here, as well.

Knight of Lodis takes place a bit earlier than the others, and is technically non-canonical. I think it ties in nicely though, and doesn't feel out of place.

There's a spinoff game only released for the Wonderswan, but I don't know anything about it.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 10, 2014

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
The Ogre Battle games always seemed pretty cool, but I guess I just never got around to messing with them for whatever reason.

Which one should someone new to the series start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

PurplieNurplie posted:

The Ogre Battle games always seemed pretty cool, but I guess I just never got around to messing with them for whatever reason.

Which one should someone new to the series start with?

The series basically has two gameplay types, so that's the big choice.

Ogre Battle and OB 64 are real-time strategy games, that have automatic, turn-based battles. They focus a lot on army management and unit composition. I'd say the SNES OB is the stronger of the two, but they are both good. OB64 is on the Wii VC if that's your thing. Ogre Battle might also be, but it's a game that greatly benefits from save states.

Tactics Ogre is basically the predecessor to Final Fantasy tactics, and plays out somewhere between FFT and KoL. There's a translation patch for the SNES version, an English PSX version, or the vastly superior in almost every way PSP remake. I'd say the PSP version is the best pick in this case. Knight of Lodis is pretty simple if you're used to this type of strategy game, but is by no means a bad game. Either way, the game will feel less developed (gameplay wise) than more modern games of this type.

Overall, I'd play Ogre Battle first. Tactics Ogre LUCT second.

• Locked thread