Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

As a kid, I rooted for the Eagles when they didn't play the Cowboys.

This one's gonna make me sound like a brat, but during the Cowboys dynasty in the 90's I was really young (I was 7 when Super Bowl XXX was played) and I didn't understand that the Super Bowl was a championship game and I just thought it was a game the Cowboys played in and won every year. Back to back Super Bowls against the Bills may have contributed to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I joined a bunch of "I stand with Paterno" groups when the scandal first broke.

I lived in Pennsylvania for 8 years and the devotion to Joe Pa was beyond football. People really saw him as a universal grandfather in the state. I got invited to a bunch of those groups from my old friends on Facebook too.

That man really could have died as a bonafide legend if he would have just fired a single god drat child molester.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

When I was younger I loved baseball much more than football.

Are you Benjamin Button aging in reverse or something?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
like Kurt Vonnegut I wish I was 9 years old again in my hometown and I could pretend to be Bernie Kosar in my parents' back yard but then again Bernie was cut by the Browns in 1993 so I better wish I was 7

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rap posted:

like Kurt Vonnegut I wish I was 9 years old again in my hometown and I could pretend to be Bernie Kosar in my parents' back yard but then again Bernie was cut by the Browns in 1993 so I better wish I was 7

You can pretend like you're Bernie Kosar now Rap! Here *hands you a bottle of whiskey*

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
In all this talk about the Cowboys, I think I'll share that the 1992 season was the first season where I was actually aware of what I was rooting for. I don't remember NFL football seasons prior to that season, though I remember various happenings before then. I believe we had gone to the Thanksgiving day games in 1991 and 1992. And then for sure went to the 1993 game, the Ice Bowl with Leon Lett.

I have a huge collection of 1990 pro-set football cards. I have that brand and year in particular because it was incredibly cheap to buy packs in the years following.

There's a few thousand item collection that didn't work out in gaining any value... I looked through these cards not too long ago... maybe $100 total? Unless the mint 1957 card I traded for in the school lunch line isn't a reprint... then it's worth $200. My MTG collection is probably worth more... by a few bucks.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I basically try to post like Bernie in the fourth quarter except unlike Bernie I would like less blood going to my brain

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I rooted for the Bengals in Super Bowl XVI. I was 9.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
In NFL Gameday '99, I once got Zach Thomas to get fifteen sacks in a game.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I had a Brian Griese Broncos jersey.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
When I first started watching the NFL and had little idea of the rivalries in the sport (I live in Scotland), I followed both the Ravens and the Steelers.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

swickles posted:

When I was younger I loved baseball much more than football.

Baseball and football are 50/50 for me right now since last year. Before that it was 80/20 baseball.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

When I first started watching football in college, I was the worst kind of person to watch with. Yelling at the screen, jeering at fans of the rival team, basically just being a huge annoying dick while watching football. I did it because that's how just about every adult in my family acted during football games while I was growing up. I thought that was basically the way to fit in with sports-watching people. Got me a few glares and rolled eyes from my friends before I learned to shut my yap. I eventually discovered that my relatives know next to nothing about football, and now can't stand watching Ravens games with my family.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Not a Children posted:

When I first started watching football in college, I was the worst kind of person to watch with. Yelling at the screen, jeering at fans of the rival team, basically just being a huge annoying dick while watching football. I did it because that's how just about every adult in my family acted during football games while I was growing up. I thought that was basically the way to fit in with sports-watching people. Got me a few glares and rolled eyes from my friends before I learned to shut my yap. I eventually discovered that my relatives know next to nothing about football, and now can't stand watching Ravens games with my family.

Wait, what are you ashamed about? Is it the fact you have stopped?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Not a Children posted:

That's um... a perfectly acceptable way to watch football.

Only stodgy dickweeds like the entire Giants fanbase would tell you to sit down and be quiet during a game.

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

It's a solemn affair watching the Giants be put to rest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anals of History posted:

I loving hate bars. Hate the noise, the lights, the screaming, the lack of personal space, the lovely, overpriced fried food, and the need to sit and do nothing else but watch TV for three hours.

Me and my sister went to a Buffalo Wild Wings once and she compared to the descriptions from Brave New World where they have lots of video screens designed to make people stop thinking as much.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Doltos posted:

That's um... a perfectly acceptable way to watch football.

Only stodgy dickweeds like the entire Giants fanbase would tell you to sit down and be quiet during a game.

And me! I can't stand people acting like that about sports. Yelling and cheering in the stands, dancing around, high-fiving strangers? Awesome, it's part of what makes attending games fun. Yelling at the TV screen and getting pissy when things don't go your way? Get out of my house.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I secretly wish I could murder people who come up to me in the bar during games and start talking to me about why the Giants player they drafted on their fantasy team isn't performing well that day.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Febreeze posted:

I secretly wish I could murder people who come up to me in the bar during games and start talking to me about why the Giants player they drafted on their fantasy team isn't performing well that day.

I hate fantasy football so god damned much but it's difficult to convey the depth of my hatred to people I know without seeming incredibly rude.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Schwack posted:

I hate fantasy football so god damned much but it's difficult to convey the depth of my hatred to people I know without seeming incredibly rude.

I usually try my best to change the subject by "reacting" to something on TV. But yeah, it's horrible. There's no way to politely tell someone that you don't care about their fantasy team, because even if you say you don't play fantasy they still loving go on about it anyway

Fantasy Football is the worst

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I cried at the end of Super Bowl XL. Granted I was in middle school at the time, but still.

I also strongly support Wazzu Football and always have throughout my life, but decided to go to UW.

Prozach fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 27, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Football has turned me in to an emotionless monster.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was once a Notre Dame fan.

I cried like a big dumb baby after Super Bowl XXX. Other losses have made me pick fights with inanimate objects. People had to stop me from flipping over a couch when Iowa beat Penn State in 2008. Two of the legs were about at waist height when someone grabbed the couch and someone else pulled me away. I've since mellowed out.

I legitimately enjoy watching players on the other team get hurt. Although this works for hockey too. But I don't like seeing legs that look like an S.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Alright, I haven't shared this story with many people outside my inner circle, but it's time to let it air out.
My buddy and I were out at a bar one night discussing our football teams over beer. (He is a Patriots fan and I'm a Panthers fan) This was during the 2009 season. I said "I think the biggest need for the Panthers is quarterback." He asked me who I thought they should take, and my immediate reply was "ANYONE but Jimmy Clausen!" Jokingly he said "What would you do if they drafted him?" I immediately toxxed myself in a drunken rage saying "If the Panthers loving draft Clausen I won't root for them for a full season, and I'll root for whoever you tell me to, except the Patriots." We shook on it, and that was that.

Fast forward to the 2010 draft...
I'm at my buddy's house for the draft and we're watching coverage of the second round when it's announced the Panthers have traded up, and my heart immediately dropped into my stomach when Mel Kiper said "It's gotta be Clausen here." My buddy shot me the biggest poo poo-eating grin, and all I could do was hang my head when the pick was announced while my buddy jumped up and down laughing in my face.

....and that's how I became a St. Louis Rams fan for a season. :(

At least I was right, it was a wasted pick.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

I love the poo poo out of wild, spread offense, pass-happy "gently caress defense" games, but somehow also love the triple option. Maybe I just love gimmicks.

Same

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I've never hated (and still don't hate) the Cowboys even though high school for me was a game of "Well maybe we can foil their home field advantage in the late season meeting." I'm a life long Giants fan.

I'd also always get a kick out of watching Emmit Smith run and Larry Allen toss fools like 15 yards while blocking them.

I remember more about those Cowboys teams than the Giants teams of the same era.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In 06, I wanted to quit being a Browns fan because my team was loving terrible and looked like it was lacking direction. Plus I saw a lot of fair weather Steeler fans in my HS. I wanted to cheer for the Colts due to the same reasons they were given (MY FAMILY IS FROM PITTSBURGH!).

I tried. I really did. I wanted them to be my team, and to forgot the Browns. But I have so much loyalty tied to this stupid franchise, I found out I was pretty much married to them.

So..until they either move or something. I'm pretty much stuck being a Browns fan. No matter how bad they humilate me, I'm stuck with them.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I became a football fan about 2 years before the ravens came to Baltimore. I bandwagoned the Broncos and cheered for them during both of their Super Bowls. My father tried to explain to me the whole Elway Colts thing but it didn't really take until much later.

I still have an old Broncos T-shirt with the number seven on the back.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I paid money to watch the Texans lose to the Jaguars in 2013. The score was 13-6, and I think my wife hates football now because I wanted to stay and watch the whole thing.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

I usually try my best to change the subject by "reacting" to something on TV. But yeah, it's horrible. There's no way to politely tell someone that you don't care about their fantasy team, because even if you say you don't play fantasy they still loving go on about it anyway

Fantasy Football is the worst

Yeah, this is the truth. The worst is when you end up sitting near the dude (there's always at least one of these guys) who comes in at the crack of dawn to stake out a spot with his laptop covered in fantasy football spreadsheets. They are always desperate to strike up a conversation about fantasy football, and will shoe horn themselves into any conversation.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

People had to stop me from flipping over a couch when Iowa beat Penn State in 2008. Two of the legs were about at waist height when someone grabbed the couch and someone else pulled me away. I've since mellowed out.

This is my single most favorite football moment of all time; that game was just magical to be at.

Actual shame:

There were many weekends when I was in high school when I played Heroclix on Saturday afternoons instead of going to Hawkeye games with my dad, because we had season tickets.

Also, I'm totally bandwagoning on the Panthers now thanks to Cam Newton. He's probably my favorite player right now, and I think I would have rather seen him/them win the Super Bowl this year than my Packers.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I thought the 2012 Eagles were playoff bound at the season's start and thought the 2013 Eagles would go 7-9 and I'd be happy with it.

I thought Nick Foles was going to be awful.

Basically I'm just horribly wrong about the team I follow the most.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
Hey man maybe it's just your attitude that's wrong. Have you ever tried thinking about all the things you've been RIGHT about?! Try it out some time, anime gently caress pillow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGTb4ZFAS8

Gerty fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 27, 2014

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I 'give up' on bad Bengals games and do something else for about 30 seconds before chilling the gently caress out and turning my attention back to it. This has happened several times in the same game.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I thought Nick Foles was going to be awful.

I thought Nick Foles was going to be terrible too but only because my stupid favorite team spent the farm on a QB in the same draft and promptly ran him into the loving ground so the fact that there were two(!) potential franchise QBs just hanging out in the third round is a bit of a bummer.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I've got stories that are more weird than anything.

I think I've mentioned on here before that I once had nosebleed seats in the Silverdome for a game vs the bears in the mid-90's, and could stand on my chair and touch one of the championship banners, which I made sure to do even though the ushers got kinda pissed.

I was at a game against Atlanta, wanna say '97, where the 4th down punt took 6 attempts due to penalty after penalty. Even a young me saw a ton of humor in the situation.

And then there was the '07 season. I went to a Tigers friday/saturday home stand, then we drove home, about 6 hours, as the Lions lost to the Eagles 56-21. The driver became enraged and was driving about 80 or so, and I legitimately feared for my life.

And I remember the Lions losing to Tampa Bay in the playoffs during the Mike Alstott years. He loving ran us over and stomped the poo poo out of us. My brother was drunk as poo poo, and I was just depressed because I was too young to drink.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I thought Stephen Garcia would go down as the best Gamecock qb, and Connor Shaw was awful. I felt justified by the '11 opener against ECU.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
I had this poster hanging in my room until 2005. That's right, its oft-injured bust Napoleon Kaufmann.

And the first raiders game I attended, home opener against the chargers on mnf they scored a touchdown and I went to fistpump and accidentally elbowed the lady next to me in the head and I think she got a concussion from it. And then they called the touchdown back for a hold. And the lady next to me was my future wife.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Hardfl1p posted:

I had this poster hanging in my room until 2005. That's right, its oft-injured bust Napoleon Kaufmann.

And the first raiders game I attended, home opener against the chargers on mnf they scored a touchdown and I went to fistpump and accidentally elbowed the lady next to me in the head and I think she got a concussion from it. And then they called the touchdown back for a hold. And the lady next to me was my future wife.

If she was wearing her darth vader helmet and spiked shoulderpads that wouldn't have happened :colbert:

• Locked thread