Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I was a meh football fan who half followed the 49ers until I met my girlfriend's dad. All we had in common was that I kinda liked the Niners. I dove in whole hog the last year of Singletary's reign & now I love it.

Also I used to revere his opinions but a ton are just rote repetitions of things he's heard on the radio. I'm onto you now, old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Febreeze posted:

I didn't know where Notre Dame was until a few years ago. Being raised on the East coast all of the Midwest geography is kind of a big lump that no one cares about.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find out where Detroit actually is.

This is also how the East coast is to people in the Midwest. I still can't keep Vermont and New Hampshire straight.

But I still know where every school in FBS is.

conrack
Oct 4, 2006
I was a lifelong Giants fan, grew up about 20 minutes from the Meadowlands. I still have a giant Giants bag shaped like a cleat full of old memorabilia from my childhood in my parents attic. But...

I bet against the Giants both times they beat the Patriots because I just knew there was no way we were beating Brady and I really needed the extra money. After the first time we won, I got a horrible stomach bug that had me puking for the better part of a week. After the second, I renounced my hate for Eli Manning.

I think the Giants hate me, I am a bad fan.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is also how the East coast is to people in the Midwest. I still can't keep Vermont and New Hampshire straight.

But I still know where every school in FBS is.

Vermont is top heavy, new Hampshire has a gut. That's how I always remembered.

Honestly its really easy to not know where places are. I knew my states really well because I had a puzzle, and I knew my state capitals, but outside that? Usually no real idea outside my immediate city areas. It wasn't until I started driving and being forced to use maps that I learned most of this poo poo. Not knowing where Notre dame is located is a pretty mild offense.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Hell, I lived in Indiana (the most southern part, so there were only, like, two Notre Dame fans) and it took me until I was halfway done with high school to find out Notre Dame was in Terre Haute. It's in a place of hatred that transcends location.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Probably Magic posted:

Notre Dame was in Terre Haute

:raise:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Vermont is top heavy, new Hampshire has a gut. That's how I always remembered.

Vermont is a "V"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

See? I still can't get it right.

(You'd think it would be in the French-sounding Indiana city, but noooooo....)

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
I... I am Darren Sharper irl.

Yes, it's because I have CTE

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I married an Aggie

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Notre Dame is where the Chicago Irish went to college. How is that not common knowledge!

Although I might be the only person that knows why Case Western Reserve is called that and didn't also attend Case Western Reserve.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I used to say things like :smug: "What's the point of a game where they carry a dead pig from one end of a field to another?" :smug:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I married an Aggie

drat, dude.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

See? I still can't get it right.

(You'd think it would be in the French-sounding Indiana city, but noooooo....)

Terre Haute is home of a much more awesome Indiana based college though. :smug:

Go Sycamores.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Terre Haute is home of a much more awesome Indiana based college though. :smug:

Go Sycamores.

Trent Miles did a whale of a job to turn them around.

I hold a soft spot for Notre Dame because my grandparents took me to a couple games and the day job has me on campus a few times a year.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
While the Browns were out of the league I rooted for the Bengals. The Akili Smith, Jeff Blake, Bengals :smith:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rap posted:

Good god are you 9

They're flyover states for a reason, Rap. No use learning stuff about unimportant places :colbert:

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Hey, Jeff Blake owned. Unless he had some horrible personality problems that I didn't ever know of, in which case he was a horrible person.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

smuggler posted:

Hey, Jeff Blake owned. Unless he had some horrible personality problems that I didn't ever know of, in which case he was a horrible person.

I liked Jeff Blake just fine, but the Bengals teams around him were never a good watch. I just used the Jeff Blake, Akili Smith Bengals as a reference to the Bengals teams I was stuck rooting for while the Browns were gone.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bad Moon posted:

They're flyover states for a reason, Rap. No use learning stuff about unimportant places :colbert:

I guess if you like being an ignorant person, that's fine.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Really, all you need to know about Indiana is that Indianapolis has a cool roundabout, Bloomington has some good Asian food restaurants, and the KKK was a big thing there in the 1910s. Oh, and racing, I guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

I guess if you like being an ignorant person, that's fine.

True that. I quiz all my compatriots on the geography of Midwestern states before deciding whether or not they're worth including in my clique here in Los Angeles.

That's why I have literally no friends.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought Roy Williams was going to turn around the Lions for some reason.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Thaddius the Large posted:

Do people not like Gruden? I don't think he's amazing or anything, but he's as good as I can hope for, especially given how awful so many announcers are. And the Brett Favre comparison is spot on, he's just having fun up there.

He can come off as abrasive at first, but over the years I've really come to enjoy Gruden. His enthusiasm is both unironic and infectious, making for a great contrast to Tirico's more straight-laced style. ESPN has struggled for almost a decade to find a decent MNF crew, and I think they finally got it right this time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

True that. I quiz all my compatriots on the geography of Midwestern states before deciding whether or not they're worth including in my clique here in Los Angeles.

That's why I have literally no friends.

Anyone that can't plot the location of all FBS and some of the better FCS schools on a map isn't worth being friends with :colbert:

although if you can't figure out where all the Sun Belt teams are, you're not that bad because, well, its the loving sun belt

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Benne posted:

He can come off as abrasive at first, but over the years I've really come to enjoy Gruden. His enthusiasm is both unironic and infectious, making for a great contrast to Tirico's more straight-laced style. ESPN has struggled for almost a decade to find a decent MNF crew, and I think they finally got it right this time.

My favorite Gruden moments are when the camera cuts to the booth during a game stoppage (when the refs are discussing a call or something), and Gruden is all mad and confused as to why there's no football happening at the time. He just seems like he's having such a good time watching football he probably broadcasts for free/pays ESPN to let him broadcast.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sash! posted:

Anyone that can't plot the location of all FBS and some of the better FCS schools on a map isn't worth being friends with :colbert:

although if you can't figure out where all the Sun Belt teams are, you're not that bad because, well, its the loving sun belt

the sun belt is cooler and more interesting to watch than the big 10.

that I think this is probably my football skeleton

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Sash! posted:

Honestly given that almost every Sun Belt team has a state name in it and this has been the case since the conference started sponsoring football, it seems like not at least having a vague idea of the conference geography means you're an idiot. (Getting the precise location within the state wrong is probably excusable in most cases if you don't like memorizing trivia, in fairness.)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Sash! posted:

I choose to believe Appalachian State is a roaming college along the Appalachian trail that only solidifies once in a blue moon to beat Michigan

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Basil Hayden posted:

Honestly given that almost every Sun Belt team has a state name in it and this has been the case since the conference started sponsoring football, it seems like not at least having a vague idea of the conference geography means you're an idiot. (Getting the precise location within the state wrong is probably excusable in most cases if you don't like memorizing trivia, in fairness.)

Also Sun Belt gets waivers because I think there is only one or two Sun Belt teams that have been there for more than three years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alouicious posted:

the sun belt is cooler and more interesting to watch than the big 10.

that I think this is probably my football skeleton

That's not a skeleton. D-III football is more interesting than the Big 10.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
With the new Tampa Bay uniforms coming out, it reminded me I loving hated the creamsicle uniforms and thought Bucco Bruce looked stupid.

God it feels good to finally say it.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Really, all you need to know about Indiana is that Indianapolis has a cool roundabout, Bloomington has some good Asian food restaurants, and the KKK was a big thing there in the 1910s. Oh, and racing, I guess.

As a resident of Bloomington this is...well...yeah this does a pretty good job covering it.

So, the Colts are definitely my main team, but I also really like pretty much the entire NFC North. The Vikings are by far my least favorite, they're pretty much coasting on goodwill left over from Culpepper to Moss and my love for Adrian Peterson. Jared Allen is pretty cool too. But yeah, the Bears are my favorite in the division, but it's really close between them and the Lions/Packers, and that makes fans of all those teams so mad, but I just don't care, I really like them all and have for the past 15 years.

For that matter, I really have trouble maintaining hatred for any team for very long. If they haven't done something to personally offend me in the last month or so, I just can't stay mad at them. I just want everyone to be happy, ok?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

This is my favorite board on SA and I mostly lurk because I'm a Steelers fan and I don't want other posters to beat me up for being evil. I've never even been to Pittsburgh outside of catching a connecting flight at its airport.

In my defense(such that being a Steelers fan is defensible) I picked them because, when I started caring about the NFL in ~1998, I was a chubby 7th grader who wanted to play RB, so Jerome Bettis was my dude.

I also unironically love Vince Young and believe he'd be starting somewhere if Jeff Fisher wasn't such a gently caress. :argh:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

No loving poo poo. That's an undersell.

The best time to be around Indianapolis is during May.

(sup PP14)

Also Pizza King/Arni's, and Pork Tenderloin.

Purdue confession.

I still hate Wisconsin to this day. I have a lot of anger about 2004, and that they sent our entire program into a tailspin.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 4, 2014

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I matriculated at the University of Florida. I haven't watched (or attended) a single Gators Athletic game of any discipline going on 15 years now.

...And it doesn't bother me. At all.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

That is not a skeleton.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So your skeleton is crippling social anxiety then? Hate the sports all you want but man it's a huge part of college life.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Anals of History posted:

Think that's a valid parallel, though it has the absolute opposite effect on me with the over-stimulation. I'm a lot happier listening to George Blaha call the game over the radio while I'm raking the lawn or working around the house. Tried explaining this once and I got looked at like I've got five eyes and purple skin.

I'm the same way but with baseball. Give me Ernie Harwell or Jim and Dan any day.

I have always been a Lions fan, but for some reason asked for a Chiefs Starter jacket when I was young and dumb.

My parents raised me to be a Lions fan. I never called Child Protective Services. It has haunted me to this day.

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I matriculated at the University of Florida. I haven't watched (or attended) a single Gators Athletic game of any discipline going on 15 years now.

...And it doesn't bother me. At all.
Wowzahs. Do you like watching college sports at all? Or just pro leagues?

• Locked thread