Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Flesh Forge posted:

lol this loving comic man

then they sprinkle her with fairy dust so she can regenerate even faster so she can do all her organ farming in one day and then be a character in the comic for 6 days a week

someone subtitled Strong Female Protagonist "Reach Clevin Through Violence" and I think about that a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Man the clevin edits were great

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Man the clevin edits were great

It’s a strange situation where both writer and artist have shown far more dexterity (and fortunately success) in later projects.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

It’s a strange situation where both writer and artist have shown far more dexterity (and fortunately success) in later projects.

I don't think it was particularly a passion project for the writer. Almost reads like a thought experiment, hurt by their lack of comic knowledge.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

and real life knowledge

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I recognise the sense of social justice in both areas but it's still weird to me that the guy who wrote SFP is also the guy making passionate speeches about gameshow points and snacking

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think it was particularly a passion project for the writer. Almost reads like a thought experiment, hurt by their lack of comic knowledge.

the problems with the comic were not really to do with Molly Ostertag at all, although I didn't like the way her art evolved towards the end (it became more refined in technique but it lost a lot of character and charm and she stopped putting in the effort of drawing backgrounds for most panels)
e: (considering the way the comic just stopped I don't think she was super happy doing it at all so I can't really blame her)

the story had a pretty high point in the first arc, where Allison and Cleaver have all their good interaction bits, but then it just kinda wallows in a whole bunch of awful bullshit. Kill Your Local Rapist taken to a literal extreme. Clevin being a huge field of waving red flags. Deeply gross takes on consent and stuff. Just wildly headfucked in so many ways.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 23, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clevin only had one kokoro wish

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Run from it. Dread it. Clevin makes you spaghetti all the same.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

I recognise the sense of social justice in both areas but it's still weird to me that the guy who wrote SFP is also the guy making passionate speeches about gameshow points and snacking

I literally only found out Mulligan wrote it like 3 months ago... and forgot again until this post

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Gaz-L posted:

I literally only found out Mulligan wrote it like 3 months ago... and forgot again until this post

Now this is entirely speculation on my part, but what I sort of intuited when the comic started to suck was that the creator was wrestling with all sorts of ideas and implications of the original concept and just ended up with something that he wasn't particularly happy with.
Deconstruction is loving hard to do well. Mulligan was what, early 20s when he started? I don't blame him for having half-baked ideas that don't work out at that age.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OPAONI posted:

Now this is entirely speculation on my part, but what I sort of intuited when the comic started to suck was that the creator was wrestling with all sorts of ideas and implications of the original concept and just ended up with something that he wasn't particularly happy with.
Deconstruction is loving hard to do well. Mulligan was what, early 20s when he started? I don't blame him for having half-baked ideas that don't work out at that age.

And you also need a decent working knowledge of the thing you're deconstructing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Brennan knows a fuckton about Planescape and Middle Earth, not so much Earth 616

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think there's a misunderstanding that the comic was deconstructing the worlds of capes; I think it was looking at social activism through the visual metaphor of capes. An encyclopedic knowledge of superhero minutiae shouldn't be a prerequisite for a good story.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A good story is a prerequisite for a good story though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What do you do if you have magnetism powers and you're in a brawl with someone? You throw the biggest hunk of metal you can find of course

Sakamoto Days - Chapter 156

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdgD8OP04RE

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah, another master of Crane style.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Lobok posted:

Ah, another master of Crane style.

This is good. I appreciate this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

How many injustices do you ignore despite the fact you could do something about it but don’t

None, I spend 100% of my available time concerning myself with the world's great problems and working toward solving them (arguing about them on twitter).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From Transformers #6.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Go go, cool Transformers
Go go, cool Transformers
Go go, cool Transformers
Mighty -formin' cool Transformers!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm so sad Johnson isn't continuing to do the art on transformers.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DCeased: Dead Planet #7 (2021)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Fil5000 posted:

I'm so sad Johnson isn't continuing to do the art on transformers.

I was not aware of this and now I'm sad.

Ah well, better to find out here than when I start reading next month.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I'll never get used to seeing John Constantine hanging with the cape crowd

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rhaka posted:

I'll never get used to seeing John Constantine hanging with the cape crowd

To be fair, Advisor to the Justice League, Occult Affairs probably looks better on tax forms than whatever he was putting on them before.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

David D. Davidson posted:

To be fair, Advisor to the Justice League, Occult Affairs probably looks better on tax forms than whatever he was putting on them before.

Lol at the concept of John Constantine paying taxes. Or filling out a form.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Air Skwirl posted:

He'll get a friend to fill it out for him and then that friend goes to tax hell for it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
the guy who created a deadlock over who claims his soul would understand the importance of navigating bureaucracies

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Air Skwirl posted:

"Who summons Mammon, Lord of Greed and Earthly....gently caress, seriously John, just do your own taxes."

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
The sad thing is y'all assume john has worked a legitimate job a single day of his life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

frodnonnag posted:

The sad thing is y'all assume john has worked a legitimate job a single day of his life.

He was definitely paid under the table, but I bet he had to work the door a couple of times to get his lovely punk band an opening gig for someone people actually wanted to see.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Air Skwirl posted:

True. But imagine John meeting with his accountant.

"Right, John, first, so questions about your filling system. Why was this contract from Wonder Woman filed under T?"

"Well, she's Diana of Themescyra, yeah?"

"And this contract from Batman under W?"

"Client confidentiality, says right there."

"And both of these weren't league business?"

"Nope, Diana told me straight up that it was personal, and Batman snatched me out of an alley down in Soho and dangled me off of the roof of a bloody building."

"Okay then. Now, this contract here says you were paid in pure silver coins matching the value of service?"

"Ah, yes, the client was a drat faerie."

*accountant glares

"I meant a literal member of the fay. Lucky the coins didn't turn into shite in my hands when I went to exchange them."

"Alright, now I want to ask about this receipt from your recent trip to Yokohama. Under business expenses, you have here 50 kilos worth of cucumbers and a custom men's chastity belt with a built-in exploding anal plug."

"I was dealing with kappa, crafty little buggers."

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 16, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

David D. Davidson posted:

"Alright, now I want to ask about this recipe from your recent trip to Yokohama. Under business expenses, you have here 50 kilos worth of cucumbers and a custom men's chastity belt with a built-in exploding anal plug."

"I was dealing with kappa, crafty little buggers."

A+ typo, no notes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

He'll get a friend to fill it out for him and then that friend goes to tax hell for it.

This made me think of the Achewood strip where Beef mentions Todd filling out his forms so bad he almost got the death penalty

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
A battle against a cockatrice, which can kill you with its gaze. To explain why his leg is talking... Our hero is carrying the head of an immortal being in a compartment in his artificial leg.

Source: Coda #6
The series has a lot of potential candidates, but this is what I had available.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 20, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Coda's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Sakamoto Days #151
A rebel assassin sect is launching a coup, as one does. Our belligerents:

Gaku the Hammer, toxic gamer and servant of the rebel Slur.

Nagumo, King of Liars, who wields a transforming swiss-army knife.