Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vincent posted:

"I died before. It was boring, so I stood up"
It's such a comic book sentence and I love it.

It's an extremely Warren Ellis sentence, too. Minus a bit of profanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Dr. Strange is still a huge rear end in a top hat, someone post the panel from Defenders where he scares Red She-Hulk.

On the flipside, he's a bit more understanding of people like Deadpool and whatnot than some of the heroes who are considered more noble.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love a good headbutt, and that panel delivers. Goddamn.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ror posted:

Are you guys through?

Silver Surfer #35

I'm beginning to think the real reason Thanos wants the gauntlet is so that he may create a gently caress to give.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I'll take any excuse to repost that comic.

Didn't the company who published that story have to fight like a bastard to make it happen?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jetfire posted:

I feel like this Thor look is going to be maligned in 10-15 years like most of his horrible '90s looks are now.

But he'll be better written. And that's the important part.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

prefect posted:

That's right -- he was doing a ride-along with the cops, wasn't he?

It's a good issue, and Ellis was actually amused at how much of a git he was portrayed as.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Robo-Ellis is a sidekick in Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse.

The running joke about him wanting working gentials is funny.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

poo poo I see kids wearing clothes that frequently have 3 or four of the colors on them. Like eyebleeding orange shoes and poo poo. The Kirbyfuture is well on its way.

Those kids ain't poo poo until they learn how emit the Kirby crackle from their fists.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ferrule posted:

There's been one-shots and a few mini-series and crossover tie-ins but I would legit read an on-going Ben Urich: Investigative Reporter comic.

You should read that series he co-starred in with Jessica Jones. If you haven't already, I mean.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In addition to being a comic reader, I'm a wrestling fan. There's terminology in wrestling called "turning face". Essentially it means you become a good guy, either by default because who you're facing is even more of a bastard than you, or because you take a principled stand, because everybody, even assholes, have lines they won't cross. I'm a big fan of the second kind, and JJJ "turning face" in Ultimate Spider-Man is one of the most iconic examples of that in comics history. It made sense. It allowed him to still be JJJ while realizing that he had his limits in a logical way. One of Bendis' crowning moments.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really liked 5 Ronin.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

That's one of my favourite beats in that movie, actually. Where Joker goes "I'm not crazy. I'm not." and Ledger delivers it with utter sincerity.

There's an interesting theory on the web that the scene you mentioned, coupled with his line about a bus full of soldiers being blown up and society ultimately not caring that much implies that the Joker is an Iraq War vet who was driven to being what he is by feeling used for political gain as a soldier, and he really got those scars in Iraq. It's not a theory with a lot of nuance, but it's interesting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five #22

At the end of Year One, Alfred took one of those super pills and beat the everloving poo poo out of Superman before leaving with a broken Batman. Now we're reaching the end of the series and it's sadly time to tie up loose ends.

Alfred proves to be the loving man.

welp, thread's over, Alfred "No Vaseline" Pennyworth wins

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I like this. You know, I understand what Joe Quesada was trying to do when he erased the marriage. The man has a very specific ideal of Spider-Man. Okay, swell. But I'm of the opinion that if you're gonna make a sweeping change for Peter, why not have him start to garner serious major league respect from his peers and have it stick for once? You have panels like this, or the one where Cap invites him formally to be an Avenger, but they're the exception, not the rule.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Personally, I think Martian Manhunter rules.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Etrigan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Note to self, under no circumstances should anybody ever gently caress with Orion

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Vans are exclusively for Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo, pal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair if you blame Constantine for something there's a 75% chance you're right.

Knock that up to 100% if you're his friend

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe that's just how Dress kisses people, he's not exactly a romance expert

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ecavalli posted:

The forums might be gay and/or dead, but I refuse to let this thread perish.

After the Earth has died, Galactus shows up to consume the dead planet. Old King Thor isn't cool with this idea and voices his displeasure in the most metal way possible.

Thor: God of Thunder #23

I demand a metal concept album about the recent Thor storylines that are like 237% more metal than anything comics have ever published.

Get on it, Blind Guardian. Or someone similar.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He once got a white martian to spill information with a ballpoint pen or something, I think.

edit: It was the villain from Welcome to the Working Week, the story Patton Oswalt wrote about the JLA

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 15, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do you get to at least post your preferences as far as characters go or do they come to you with a “hey we’re interested in a X book”?

I remember an editor saying once that almost every writer of consequence who's worked for Marvel in his tenure has pitched him on a Dr.Strange story. So I think so.

I think it might have been Axel Alonso?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

quite stretched out posted:

what if you hosed it to death what do you get called then

Zangief

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jiro posted:

Krakatoa Face Exploder is the best name for anything. Up to and including wrestling finishers. :black101:

One of my favorite bits of business from the Fraction/Brubaker/Aja run of Iron Fist is this scene where Danny and Orson are fighting a ton of Hydra, and it's a mostly dialogue-less scene where they gently caress poo poo up while the narration provides names like "Raging Swallow Strike" "Palm of 40 Sorrows" and then one of the last ones is "Brooklyn Headbutt".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Avulsion posted:

From Mike Carey's Lucifer #18

Christopher Rudd was once the finest swordsman in all the land. Now he is in hell, the plaything of a Demoness seeking scandalous diversions. He has just learned that the centuries of torment he suffered in the fields of pain served not to cleanse and purify his immortal soul, but merely to provide some temporary amusement for demons wiling away their eternity. He is not happy.

Lucifer is one of the greatest creative runs I've ever read. Never loses steam, incredibly compelling the whole way through.

gently caress Fox in the rear end two times with a powerdrill for turning it into procedural drek.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

This highlights why the current system is so hosed up. "We can't greenlight something unless it has an existing audience, or else the risk of failure is too great." Which leads to "But the thing we've licensed isn't what we actually want to make, because its too far from what we think the mainstream likes." So we get "We'll just take the name and as little of the concept as we think we can get away with." And concludes with "The fans didn't like it? Didn't they say they always wanted a movie or show about this? Man, there's no pleasing some people!"

Which is how you get I, Robot as an action movie and Lucifer as a police procedural. :doh:

It's not even a GOOD procedural.

And then, to really twist the knife, Preacher, one of the wildest, seemingly most unadaptable, most offensive longform stories I've ever read, gets a reasonably faithful adaptation that people seem to like.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Who isn't?

Hundreds of women who he's harassed, in Gene's case

I'm not gonna get in a thing about KISS because I don't care for them but their act has to be pretty tired by now

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Alfred continues to be the fuckin' best.

Not sure this tops him giving the mother of all Brooklyn headbutts to Supes but it's close

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Samuringa posted:

What is Conan going to do, though? Not kill?

He also fucks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

prefect posted:

This just reminds me how great the Samaritan issues of Astro City are. They address this kind of stuff and it's great.

In a just world, Kurt Busiek is a bigger deal

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Wasn't the problem that Busiek had to drop out of the world for a while because he ended up with mercury poisoning?

It definitely didn't help, but Busiek has a lot of quality work in a lot of different contexts, and if guys like Frank Miller (who hasn't done anything decent in years) can coast on rep, so should Busiek be able to

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

eliotlucas posted:

There's a good Batroc scene at the end of Gruenwald's run where he comes to Avengers Mansion looking for Cap, who is, at this point dying and has but hours left to live. Cap is to tired for a confrontation and invites Batroc into the mansion for tea and the two talk for a while, with Cap trying to convince Batroc to become a hero.

Batroc is imminently likable for stuff like this; he has his own understandable sense of honour. He's not going to try and break Cap's ribs when the man is dying, he either wants the victory at full strength or not at all. It made him a fun inclusion in Gwenpool, too.

I know a bunch of Gru's Cap stuff is collected in Epic Collections, what issue is this?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OptimusShr posted:

I thought one was a smoker and the other a midnight toker.

You can also call them Maurice

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

New Leaf posted:

That's loving rad, but why was Colossus and his sister what's-her-face trying to beat up Spider-Man?

Possessed by the Phoenix Force

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

prefect posted:

They were hosting parts of the Phoenix Force, because reasons. (Dumb reasons.)

(His sister's name is Illyana.)

ILLyana is also her MC name

Comin' straight outta Moscow

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, he was one of "The Worthy"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

A little something nice for Laura fans from today's X-Men #5 to make up for Fallen Angels:

I'm liking the trend of heroes deciding their temporary successors are just as worthy as they are, Clint Barton did it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Miles allows Peter to be Spider-Man still.

:golfclap: