Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Skwirl posted:

Long Halloween makes absolutely no sense if you try and solve the plot. But the same is true of the classic Bogart Film The Big Sleep.

Raymond Chandler said even he doesn't know who killed the chauffer in The Big Sleep.. Dude used to write himself into a corner and then have two goons with guns come in to get the story moving again, a methodology that would be better than whatever Loeb was working with when he wrote Ultimates 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah you nailed it, it's loving awful. Millar made them all cartoonish assholes, Loeb made them all creepy and gross.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I like how there was a bad domestic violence storyline in 1981 and then somebody decided it would be very mature to make it Pym's defining trait. Very pleasant to read about.

That's what happens when you let Mark Millar loose on something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Currently, it seems like a him thing, but the original version was a weakness implanted in green Martians by the Guardians of the Universe to stop them being super dicks.

Wow, Guardians, great plan. Haven't heard that one before. Good work, two thumbs up.

It also applied to the white matians back in Grant Morrison's run too. Batman beats the gently caress out of like three of them by dint of having some petrol and a match.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

I'm watching a series about a grieving widower awkwardly trying to reconnect with his estranged son while abusing his corporate position in an attempt to deal, poorly, with his grief.

Oh, whats it called?

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Get in the therapist's office, Gendo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

There's nothing left to analyse in Shinji

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There are a distressing number of people who unironically believe Gendo did nothing wrong. I wish them all hemorrhoids.

What possible reading of the show results in Gendo having done nothing wrong?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lobok posted:

Is that just weird art or did Megatron get fused with Cobra Commander?

It's weird art, the early Marvel TF comics have plenty of fugly moments.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, for some reason the early TF artists decided Megatron had a grate behind his mouth and they were also slowly turning the toy designs into something more suitable for comics.

Many of the UK artists decided all of them had random circuit boards at the back of their throats thst you'd see when they were yelling. There were many questionable decisions.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Actually, the cartoon is based on the 1970's live action show, The Ghost Busters. So technically, the movie Ghostbusters is the knock-off. Though the cartoon was clearly made to ride the coat tails of that successful knock-off.

It's even better than that, it's largely out of spite. Filmation pitched to do the Ghostbusters cartoon and got snubbed so they went "gently caress you, we've still got the name rights" and made the cartoon and got it on air a week before The Real Ghostbusters.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

I feel like J'onn's "incredibly powerful but lonesome, noble fish out of water" schtick works way better for Silver Surfer

probably partially because of the much stronger design

As for Superman, I liked the period in the 00s where they depicted the upper limits of his powers as having a cost. Like he can be faster than the Flash or punch through offbrand Galactus' brainpan but he has to fly into the sun and fry his body out for the next few days as a result.

I always thought there'd be an interesting story to explore where if he starts pushing himself harder and harder he feels his humanity start to slip due because he's acting so far removed from human levels of perception. That'd make a much better explanation for "Why isn't he constantly operating at unimaginable levels to minimize harm in the world" than the current reason, which I believe boils down to "work life balance, baby"

I think it's the first issue of Astro City that follows a day in the life of its Superman analog and he's basically doing what you describe. Every moment he isn't in his Clark Kent style alter ego he's racing around the globe saving everyone he possibly can, and then getting maybe three hours sleep before he gets up and does it again. I always assumed Supes was doing the same kind of thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Superman can just grab a lump of coal and make diamonds

He starts doing that and DeBeers are going to figure out where to find Kryptonite so loving fast

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm so sad Johnson isn't continuing to do the art on transformers.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Azubah posted:

New TF is pretty great and a little horrifying at how casually the everyone are salvaging the dead for spare parts.

It very much gets across the idea of a war that's been running for millions of years that everyone will do whatever they have to to survive and win.

Also it has Cliffjumper flipping Starscream the bird in one panel.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

Richard Pryor almost took out Superman with cigarettes.

Truly, he was DC's greatest supervillain.

He SAVED Superman by typing in stuff from his cigarette packet instead of saying to his boss "hey, we need some more research".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just noticed that the motion lines in the mirror are opposite to his real body
Old mans just that fast

How do mirrors work

They trap demons and then those demons use mirrors to murder your family if you won't help them, everyone knows this.