Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
0zzyRocks
Jul 10, 2001

Lord of the broken bong
I worked for a company for about 7 years and for about the last 5 or so, we've been using Komodo IDE for our development. I mainly was programming in PHP, JS, CSS, HTML, and sometimes Perl. I've also used Eclipse IDE for some Java development, as well as the Flex Builder and Flash Builder plugins for Eclipse for Flex/AIR development.

I'm going to be working for myself for a bit, taking on individual client projects when I can. I obviously need a good development environment, and since I don't have the license available to me for Komodo anymore I figure now is a good time to look at the various IDE options out there. No better place than SA to get good discussion, so please, tell me what you like about your favorite IDE.

I'll be doing my development on Windows 7. I'm currently playing around with PHPStorm 7, seems to have some cool features but nothing I've dived into using yet.

0zzyRocks fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hold on give me five minutes let me get me the xkcd link

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
op have you tried gnu/linux? its an amazing integrated development environment, and it even includes a pretty good kernel too

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It makes for a nice IDE but you need an operating system to run it on. I'd recommend GNU/Emacs.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I use microsoft office

stdan27
Oct 5, 2009
For JS, Webstorm is so drat good: http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Thirding the jetbrains products -- one thing to note is that if you are using multiple languages then you really want to get IntelliJ Ultimate edition as that includes PHPStorm / PyCharm / RubyMine / WebStorm's features. At worst it is a pretty slick text editor that gives you project wide search for you vim purist types.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
Can anyone recommend a web-based IDE?

I need one for interviewing candidates remotely. I've been using Google Docs, which is embarrassing.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
http://collabedit.com is pretty good. I've interviewed at a couple places that use it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
As to the OP: GEdit with Rails extensions on Xubuntu.

bartkusa posted:

I need one for interviewing candidates remotely. I've been using Google Docs, which is embarrassing.

https://c9.io/ is newish.

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

What do you mean, "TRON isn't a documentary?"
I code in a lot of environments, so take this with a grain of salt for not being a purist. For web PHP stuff I'd stick to PHPStorm on your Windows box and on the server, learn to use Vim (no really, if you're going to deploy in a linux environment, you'll be far more valuable if you can navigate to and edit code on the hardware. Debugging and whatnot will be vital to proving your value and intelligence in the eyes of clients.)

Visual Studio has some plugins and hacks you can get PHP stuff working on it with, and I like Visual Studio, but i don't like any of the hacks for PHP on it. Your mileage may vary. Eclipse is likely better for PHP build-your-own environments.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
check out my new ide, ide of choice

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
It varies pretty wildly depending on what you are doing.

I use eclipse with plugins for python and java, I use visual studio whenever I can because it's just a fantastic IDE, so that covers C++ and C# (and a few other things, but I've never used them).

For php/html/css I've never actually found a suitable IDE so for them along with erlang I use notepad++ or emacs depending on what OS I am on.

Jetbrains stuff seems to have a reputation for decent quality so if you really need an IDE you can buy one from them, but I personally haven't really used their stuff so I can't vouch for it.

There is no one IDE to rule them all, only different IDE's for different tasks and people.

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

bartkusa posted:

https://atom.io/

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

I don't think that's web-based, other than it's html/javascript based. It would lose a lot of features if run in a web format, like local filesystem access. It's a pretty awesome looking editor, just not something he'll be able to use to do remote candidate interviews, I believe.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hold on give me five minutes let me get me the xkcd link

The debate older than time itself.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TodPunk posted:

I don't think that's web-based, other than it's html/javascript based. It would lose a lot of features if run in a web format, like local filesystem access. It's a pretty awesome looking editor, just not something he'll be able to use to do remote candidate interviews, I believe.

It's also not available but to those selected for beta so I don't know why it was linked.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
:supaburn: BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Just choose the IDE that is the least frustrating to you and start coding. It might be more productive to just choose and use any IDE rather than spending several days choosing one.

noxiousg
May 24, 2013

Depends on the language.

Visual Studio for C# and C++.
IntelliJ for Java.
Sublime Text 3 for scripting (Python, JS, HTML, CSS)

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Just give the most commonly recommended IDEs a try and see if you like any of them.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Right now I've got three projects open in Intellij. One is a Java web service, the next is a Python web scraper, and the third is an HTML/JS site. Intellij is pretty good at working with all of them.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Everyone here spells emacs weird

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

But seriously, emacs. (I use vim but it isn't an IDE.)

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

bitreaper posted:

But seriously, emacs. (I use vim but it isn't an IDE.)

I would say emacs has its uses, but as an IDE for all things, no. Especially if you're on a team of more than one. Use a toolchain that everyone benefits from. If you all already know emacs and have a workflow built around it, great. Otherwise, it is an overcomplicated text editor until it can be extended to have the toolchain/workflow. Then if poorly designed, that extension may suck all the time that should be spent developing.

A good IDE gets the boilerplate crap out of your way so you can make awesome stuff. emacs can be that for the longhaul, but for a team it simply has too big a ramp-up time compared to the toolsets of other IDEs and complimentary tools it has integrated (this is literally the only reason anyone cares at all about Eclipse for anything).

That said, if you're going to do one dev thing (like php websites for example, because you hate yourself or something) for a very long time, emacs can change everything and make you loads more productive in a given niche. Just not if you have to play in the sandbox with others.

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

TodPunk posted:

I would say emacs has its uses, but as an IDE for all things, no. Especially if you're on a team of more than one.

I agree entirely.

For a team there are great benefits to standardizing on an editor, and the ramp-up for emacs is way longer and very likely not worth it.

Emacs is really a platform for building your own personally tailored IDE using duct tape, LISP, and bits of string. Some of the best developers I know use emacs to incredible effect.

I use vim because it's everywhere (and to avoid ever having to touch the mouse), but it's not an IDE and it's not really feasible to make it into one.

For honest-to-god IDEs I'm very fond of IntelliJ and WebStorm. One of those will probably suit your needs much better.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you have a system set up for IDE builds, that's great! But please, please don't make that the only way to build your application. If you're installing Eclipse on your build server so that it can actually figure out how to compile your application, you're doing it wrong.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Suspicious Dish posted:

don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
check out my new ide, ide of choice

Code without rhythm, and it won't affect the WORM.

(or something that makes more sense idk)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I love emacs to bits and have used it fulltime for almost 10 years now. But the longer I use it the more I feel I might be a bit trapped by it. It's all so ingrained in me now that trying to edit in anything else is like lopping off a foot.
But some IDEs have some amazing features that emacs can just-about-probably-not replicate.

I can't imagine there are many emacs users that would disagree when I say that I wish someone would produce an emacs but, you know, good.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
vs for c*
IntelliJ for everything else (kava Scala js html css PHP ruby python flash etc)
I guess a text editor is you're a lisp person

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
vi(m)/emacs plugins for the text editors of IDEs exist, and most IDEs let you rebind key combinations for builds or whatnot.

No need to be bound to something and miss out on the cool poo poo IDEs offer for debugging.

Also holy poo poo visual studio is a godsend for big dumb projects with lots of big dumb legacy poo poo, especially given the plugin ecosystem. .NET Reflector has saved my butt a few times.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
LightTable is kinda nifty but I haven't done much w/ clojure yet

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i really, really like brackets.io

0zzyRocks
Jul 10, 2001

Lord of the broken bong
Thanks for the suggestions (the serious ones anyway)! I'll play around with some of them. I don't necessarily want to use "just one" for everything, as I'm sure some do some languages better than others. I figure, it's good to have a nice set of tools to pick from.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Jabor posted:

If you have a system set up for IDE builds, that's great! But please, please don't make that the only way to build your application. If you're installing Eclipse on your build server so that it can actually figure out how to compile your application, you're doing it wrong.

:sigh:

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008
My company uses Netbeans, it's not amazing but it gets the job done. Plethora of plugins and add-ons to handle pretty much any language you can throw at it.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I use Koding with my netbook. Otherwise it's NetBeans, Vis Studio and emacs on my real computer.

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 9, 2014

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

I honestly would not surprised to see this happen. I mean, have you seen how many tutorials there are on the interwebs dealing with "how to do XXX in java + eclipse"? The majority of them only seem to use eclipse to create a project and handle the classpath.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Vim with appropriate completion/highlighting plugins. It serves me well in every environment I've worked in.

If you want an integrated debugger and are working in Python, you can get the free version of visual studio and install python tools. If you're doing that but are on osx/Linux, you can pay for Komodo IDE. If you're attached to Komodo IDE but don't need the debugger, Komodo Edit is free and not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

leper khan posted:

If you want an integrated debugger and are working in Python, you can get the free version of visual studio and install python tools. If you're doing that but are on osx/Linux, you can pay for Komodo IDE. If you're attached to Komodo IDE but don't need the debugger, Komodo Edit is free and not terrible.

Or just get PyCharm because it loving owns

• Locked thread