Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you have a system set up for IDE builds, that's great! But please, please don't make that the only way to build your application. If you're installing Eclipse on your build server so that it can actually figure out how to compile your application, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

enthe0s posted:

That's fair, but I'm still wondering why they wouldn't just use the same letter ('C') to toggle comments on and off instead of putting it on two different keys.

Because then you have to contextually decide whether the particular selection is currently "commented out" or not? I know I find it annoying when I want to uncomment a section, but Eclipse decides to add another layer of comments because one of the lines I selected wasn't already commented out.

The core of your complaint seems to be "they do it differently to what I'm used to" - which is a completely reasonable objection (and reason to want to change it), but doesn't mean that their way of doing it is bad.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

enthe0s posted:

but it also requires them to stop and make a secondary decision of remembering which key to press depending on what the current state of the code is (commented/uncommented).

When do ever want to toggle whether a particular bit of code is commented out or not? That's not an operation that makes any semantic sense at all.

Sometimes you want to comment a block out. Sometimes you want to uncomment a block that has been commented out previously. It's pretty reasonable to use the same key combination for both operations, but I honestly don't buy that you select a block of text and then have to remember whether you're wanting to comment or uncomment it. That seems like more of a muscle memory "it's different to what I'm used to" thing.

• Locked thread