Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

PC thread this way

:siren: New players: set your controls to "Control B" scheme ASAP! Default cruise control throttle is mashing the left thumbstick, which will inevitably end up with you accidentally driving out of cover while trying to make a slight readjustment.

Tapping up/down on the D-Pad allows you do stop and pop from behind cover, and dodge a large portion of enemy shots that're sent in your direction. :siren:

it will allow you to turn this:

into this, without having to touch your aiming controls at all:

(You don't want to see this in your gunsight!)

So, what is World of Tanks?
A free-to-play online multiplayer game involving teams of 6ish-12ish players per team, driving around somewhat historically accurate representations of tanks throughout the 20th century. And blowing each other up.

How does it work?
You download the game for free, start it up, wait an interminable amount of time for the first DLC map packs and tank packs to download to your console, and then go play!

Mostly though, it works by teamwork. If you aren't doing something with a clear plan of how you will be working to help your teammates, you're probably going to die a humiliating and lonely death - very early or very late in the game - and then you will gain a piddly amount of points, too!

Who made World of Tanks?
Sergei Borisovich Burkatovskiy is the lead designer of World of Tanks. The PC thread says he's some kind of superhero.

Is my tank fight?

Yes. Very much so. (gifs taken from PC thread)

In-game communication wheel:

What about servers?

Starting up World of Tanks 360 will automatically join you to the most appropriate regional servers. Please note that accepting a ghame invite from outside WoT, may cause you to repeatedly try to join a regional server which isn't the best choice for you. This can occasionally end up with you stuck in a loop if your connection is wonky. The easiest way around this is to start up the game and get to your own garage before trying to accept game invites.

Why does the game keep talking about leveling my crew up? I can't find crew anywhere!
Crew have not been implemented into the xbox version as of yet, which means two things: everyone is effectively identical, and that items which give crew bonuses will actually provide flat percentile bonuses to whatever tank stat is connected to it. So, a 5% crew-exp or stat bonus means you reload and aim 5% faster, move 5% faster, spot 5% more effectively, etc etc.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

[placeholder for game tips and strategy post.]

:siren: The first and most important tip is to watch all of the in-game training videos for the different tank tiers, and then do exactly what they suggest! :siren:

Armor Penetration
One of the most important aspects of tank combat is Armor Penetration, sometimes referred to as "pen". All tanks have armor of varying effectiveness however, a great deal of the value of your armor does not come direcdtly from how heavy it is but rather how much math you can take advantage of. For instance, lower tier and historically older tanks are often extremely boxy with a lot of horizontal and vertical surfaces and perpendicular angles which are then bolstered by sheer weight of armor, while more modern tanks often have thinner armor with more oblique angles. In practise, it means that your armor may effectively be several times thicker (and thus harder to penetrate) than you would assume at first, due to a variety of placement and angling factors.

To start with, let's look at some pictures which I lifted from the Chieftain's Guide to Armor Penetration.

Take the tank below, you can see that the armor thickness is not that extreme.

However, this is from a tank that looks like this:

Which is important, as that thin turret armor is mostly placed at very steep angles, effectively several times the actual thickness of the armor! That is because math works:

Thinking in these terms, you can then adjust your tank's positioning so that your best armor facings are angled slightly in proportion to incoming fire, while your thinner and more vulnerable parts can be kept at a much steeper angle.

In this instance until your opponent repositions or another one flanks you, your opponents will have a hell of a time getting through your armor to do actual "hit points" damage. I've sometimes taken fire from 10 or 20 rounds in a row and left the fight without having lost a single hit point from my tank's overall health (although you can still get tracks, cannon barrels, and viewports damaged, this only affects your tank's stats and not your actual health total.)

Now combine this angled positioning with a nearby building or other cover, and you'll be able to drop tanks with impunity, while experiencing relative immunity!

Now that you understand how to use this a little more effectively defensively, let's apply this to one of the nastier Tank Destroyer (snipers) which you'll run into in lower to mid-tier matches, the AT 2. This little sonofabitch is one of the tougher nuts to crack and can dish out a lot of firepower, very rapidly. However it also has some key weak points which can be taken advantage of - often due to the angles of its own armor!

For instance, the AT2 has a small machine gun port just off-center on the front, which is a square-shaped depression marring an otherwise nearly impenetrable piece of heavy, angled plating:

If you shoot that little machine gun port, your chances of penetrating (and doing actual health damage) are much, much higher - you'll also likely "kill" a crew member and reduce the tank's combat effectiveness (unless the driver burns a consumable health kit to resurrect his crew). This is not entirely based on the angle of armor however - there are almost always points where you can spot a likely-looking piece of equipment on an opposing tank and either easily penetrate, or break something important.

At point-blank range, you can often kill a heavy tank with a single shot or two through their view slits in their frontal armor. :fuckoff:

Let us now eyeball the AT 2's big brother, the AT 7, for a moment, in order to elaborate on this:

Orange and blue indicate a critical areas where you can likely kill the crew within. Green are weak points (and often critical equipment such as periscopes, radio antennae, engine compartments, etc,) and the white area along the outside of one tread is where ammunition is stored. The AT 7 is a highly frustrating vehicle to go up against as you'll probably see it as soon as you reach Tier 4 however, with some careful eyeballing of your target, you will be able to figure out what to shoot at before you open fire and are discovered!

When in doubt, if close enough, shoot your opponent's cannon off. A lot of people are too dumb to sit behind their cover and will poke their cannon out of a window, allowing you to break it, gently caress up their aim, and force them to reload as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 26, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well I've been playing for a bit and am firmly stuck on tier five for a while till I can grind. Feel free to add me : gt's same as here.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm gay for tanks, and this game be awesome.

Parkingtigers X on XBL, I'd love to get some goon platoon action going on.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Add me! GT SandRifle

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Daft question I couldn't find an answer to, when you're detected you get the incredibly handy detected! pop up on your HUD. Obviously you can slip off of the enemies radar by being a sneaky git too.. but are you only detected for as long as that 'detected!' warning is up on screen? Or is it just like a little alert that doesn't serve to tell you whether you're still detected or not?

i.e. I've been detected, I run away and hide behind a building and 'detected!' has disappeared from my HUD, am I now hidden again?

I'm guessing not, because that'd be too easy

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

enri posted:

Daft question I couldn't find an answer to, when you're detected you get the incredibly handy detected! pop up on your HUD. Obviously you can slip off of the enemies radar by being a sneaky git too.. but are you only detected for as long as that 'detected!' warning is up on screen? Or is it just like a little alert that doesn't serve to tell you whether you're still detected or not?

i.e. I've been detected, I run away and hide behind a building and 'detected!' has disappeared from my HUD, am I now hidden again?

I'm guessing not, because that'd be too easy
I have a strong suspicion that if someone is stealthed or out of your view range (or their "spotting" view range, possibly?) they may be able to keep spotting on you for a while after the Exclamation point wears off, or possibly the DETECTED warning only occurs when you can also see far enough to see the guy spotting you (even if you can't actually "see" him - I know you can spot people by hiding behind a wall or hillside and still get spotter credit despite never being in LOS.)

So short answer is "yes, I think so?" about being able to hide by going behind cover, but I don't think you get the "detected" thing unless someone on the opposing team gets a red marker stuck to your head. They may still be able to see you without the marker though (I've noticed you can do this on Malinovka pretty regularly if you're stealthy and patient), and they may just get a lucky shot or good guess as to where you were retreating and still hit you. I know I've been cruising across a field more than a few times and started receiving fire from someone and had no warning I was detected.

Spotting mechanics are one of the more complicated things I've tried to grasp so far - it took me days before I even realize you don't have to tap the LB button to "spot" - as long as you're the closest player to the target and your spotting range is sufficient, you will get spotter credit if teammates start doing damage to them (if you were the first who is still in range, if you die or move out of range and back, others can steal your scout points). I do know that your tank has a series of vector lines protruding from the top or near the top of your commander's hatch on top of your tank, and that despite forward having a longer range, you can still spot people who come up behind or to the side of you, etc.

Also as an unrelated note, many tanks can tilt their cannons a little bit lower, if they're aiming to the sides since there's no chassis in the way.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 12, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I am gonna try this out. I tried WoT on my laptop, but it didn't work so well on it. Seems like a game I'd really love though, so I'ma try again. Gamertag is Cubivore.

Also, what is the most underused type of tank? I'd like to focus on using them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Cannot Find Server posted:

I am gonna try this out. I tried WoT on my laptop, but it didn't work so well on it. Seems like a game I'd really love though, so I'ma try again. Gamertag is Cubivore.

Your friendlist is full, can't send you a request.

Don't worry about focusing on an underused tank, the way the game works it puts in a selection of similar tier vehicles, and a specific proportion of each type. There are no neglected types under these rules. Plus, with the way the levelling and upgrades work, you'll be swapping vehicles quote often at first so you don't waste XP.

XP you earn in a tank, is used to upgrade that tank. Any extra XP you earn in that vehicle cannot be spent, but it can be converted (using the premium currency) into "free XP" which can be used on ANY tank. It's a good system, because it means you can unlock all the stuff just by playing your way through the tech tree, or you drop a little cash and you're able to earn your unlocks by playing with your favourite tank.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^ I am pretty sure that 5%-10% of your total exp gained is either split with, or added to your free Exp after every atch. You can totally gain a couple/few thousand Free Exp in a night of good matches, without spending money on Premium.

The gold conversion allows you to convert ALL the "unused" tank exp on ALL of yor tanks in your garage, to free exp. At a rate of 1 gold per x Exp, I don't recall the conversion factor however, it's high enough that you can turn a couple hundred gold into several thousand Free Exp (which is probably how almost all of the VII-VIII tanks got to where they're at right now.)

The most-needed type of tank is always a medium, who follows/leads his teammates. Preferably a fast one. I've had way more surprise wins than not, when I see that the enemy team has 1-4 more heavies than my team but we're almost entirely made of Mediums. Lights vanish ENTIRELY after tier 5, so Mediums take their role over as well at that point.

Most pubbies play the heaviest poo poo they can pilot, or Tank Destroyers. TD are rad however, they can't rotate their turret more than 30-60 degrees most of the time so they can be nasty to learn with if you're not a super-camper.

Ultimately, the one thing always lacking are savvy people who know how to play to their team's advantages, regardless of what you find yourself driving on any given map. The player who can tell the difference between "move forward and rush to cap" or "flank to the side and destroy the enemies harassing our middle, before moving on" are the kinds of key judgement calls to make in any given game. Even an artillery unit can rush in and "shotgun" a heavy tank to death at the enemy base in a pinch, if he's fast/savvy enough and doesn't get spotted.

Really though, just scrape through the tier 1 & 2 stuff yourself solo, or with other people who've got similar tanks. You'll learn way more loving up in a game full of newbies than you can being harangued by drunken goons with dozens of hours of playtime.. Nothing replaces first-hand experience of how a tank "feels" for your playstyle - I often choose slightly inferior tanks simply because they refire a bit faster, or move faster, etc.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
OK, I've got most of my playing tanks just below tier V now, and I still can't for the life of me figure out how to be useful as light and medium tanks. I constantly get pummeled almost right out of the bat. I use cover, try and flank, and yet almost always end up down after barely scratching a tank. I see light tanks zipping around killing people left right and center, and Mediums tanking a Heavy, and winning. What am I doing wrong?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

With lights in higher tiers, I've been equipping a high rof gun then Driving around the very very edge of the map, almost on the red lined border. Pop out, track a heavy (as so many people on tier 5 play churchills this is hilariously easy), then sprint back to the border and keep going round. Pop your turret over hills and spot for your artillery, then keep going. Just keep moving, use terrain to block LoS and pounce on any TDs or arty facing the wrong way. On larger tanks, if you're facing a 50% penetration shot, nail the tracks and keep out of their firing arc.

Having said that, I get pasted in my leopard all the time by tier 5-8 enemies. Still, loving the light tank playstyle.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been playing this off and on between Dark Souls.

GT is ZombieSecurity

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I love to ram Tank Destroyers while they're in combat, then push them into a wall and let my teammates have their way with them. I don't give a gently caress how much armor your AT 8 has when you're stuck against a boulder and unable to aim at all.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Had a great session worh Sandrifle and Cubivore today. We were mostly terrible, with moments where we didn't totally suck. Best part was seeing Cubivore surrounded and damaged, and he suddenly decides he's going to channel Wittman and murders four dudes on the other team and wins the match.

Funniest part was the enemy being down to a single arty, and my tank destroyer in his base suddenly has to deal with him at point blank range. I'm driving round and round him, to the tune of Yakety Sax in my head, until I gently caress up on the turning circle and he shotguns me. I did reduce him to a sliver of health, so when he hunts down and rams our sole surviving arty he ends up suiciding.

Good times. I don't think I've ever gotten so much fun from an online shootery type game.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

coyo7e posted:

Lots of words about being detected or not

coyo7e posted:

Also as an unrelated note, many tanks can tilt their cannons a little bit lower, if they're aiming to the sides since there's no chassis in the way.

This is good to know too, thank you!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Oh and holding right bumper lets you look around without turning your turret. Very useful at times.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Parkingtigers posted:

Best part was seeing Cubivore surrounded and damaged, and he suddenly decides he's going to channel Wittman and murders four dudes on the other team and wins the match.

Finally feeling useful was awesome! We were down to just me in my Stuart and a medium tank on our side, with 4 dudes on the other side when this all went down. The highlight for me was the first two kills, where another light tank rammed me hard and I killed him as he pushed me backward, reloaded and killed his buddy who was behind him.

Also, I am not finding this game to be much fun at all alone unless I jump in the T1 and do small Tier 1 matches. It's such a goofy tank that's so fun to use that I don't even care when I get stuck and die like a retard.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
Yeaaaaah Tanks thread!

GT BarneyStintson

Super in love with the M3 with silver gas. You either get tracked by the first shot and blown the gently caress up, or rack up a billion XP and medals. There's really no middle ground.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^ Thanks! I half-assed the OP but hope to include some more helpful gameplay details in the second post - those Chieftain's Guides really helped me to grok the game a ton more than I was until that point.

Also, I am not finding this game to be much fun at all alone unless I jump in the T1 and do small Tier 1 matches. It's such a goofy tank that's so fun to use that I don't even care when I get stuck and die like a retard.
I really enjoy playing at tier 5 or 6 right now, even with pubbies it's high enough on the food chain that the vast majority of mouth-breathers are on lower tiers, and most of the people with mics tend to be serious about trying to work together and win. There's always going to be foreign kids and people with kinects that pick up the sound of them neglecting their children, but even by myself I've had a lot of fun - in large because I have the freedom to try out whateverthefuck I want to try, rather than feeling pressured to stick with my platoon bros.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Dirty Karma posted:

Yeaaaaah Tanks thread!

GT BarneyStintson

Super in love with the M3 with silver gas. You either get tracked by the first shot and blown the gently caress up, or rack up a billion XP and medals. There's really no middle ground.

M3 Stuart is so much damned fun with gas. Just zipping around. I love the Lawltraktor too. Those can be some fun 6 on 6 games and if you get the correct map, you can snipe with impunity when you grab the camo net and periscope.

Finally have my first Heavy, it's not as cool as it would seem. I still enjoy running my Panzer III medium and Lee.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I've spent today learning how to use artillery and I'm actually getting good at it, including a round where I killed 7 enemies with the Priest. I'm starting to consider saving up and upgrading the aim and reload speed on it and sticking with it for a good, long while.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Now that we have a thread, news!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/27/5453028/world-of-tanks-changes-2014

quote:

World of Tanks developer Wargaming.net is planning a slew of changes, and a developer diary released today reveals what's headed to the free-to-play shooter this year.

The massively multiplayer online game will get a "revamped graphics renderer," according to the developer, which will add more detail to vehicle models. The game's physics engine will also be upgraded, allowing for things like dynamic suspension, more damageable parts and turrets that can be blown to bits. World of Tanks will also receive historical battles as well as a new and currently unexplained "meta game" called Fortified Areas.

Wargaming.net will explain the game's new features in a series of developer diaries this year. Press play above to see the first, in which developers give an overview of what's to come, including experiments with modifying the view range based on weather.

World of Tanks recently made its way to the Xbox 360. Be sure to read our E3 in-depth interview with the developer to learn how the game made the transition from PC to console. For more on Wargaming.net, the Russian developer behind World of Tanks, World of Warplanes and World of Warships, be sure to read Polygon's interview with CEO Victor Kislyi.

Though this might be for PC only. :(

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I will hear no more bad-mouthing of my mighty El Traktor!!

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Is the grind as bad as the pc version?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Not played much of the PC version due to rubbish laptop but you breeze through Tier 4 (excep the M3 Lee which an is awful T4) then around Tier 5 the xp for machines and prices get bigger and at Tier 6 the xp for everything takes a bit of a jump.
Seriously get it today and grap the founders and starters packs for the premium tanks to help get XP you can convert just to get through the really horrible grinds.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 28, 2014

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
If you hate fighting tanks, then yes.

Free Premium right now. Driving the M5 as much as possible, 55k for the Chaffee is redonk.

[edtit] NOTE: Today, Friday the 28th, doesn't count for discounted slots. Starts the 1st.

Dirty Karma fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 28, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
This weekend Garage slots are 20% off, and your daily multiplier is x3 for each tank or new tank (again - it was 3x the first weekend as well.)

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Does everyone start from scratch or could I dust off my old PC account I haven't used in a year?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Knightmare posted:

Does everyone start from scratch or could I dust off my old PC account I haven't used in a year?

It's entirely separate from the PC version.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
It's on Xbox, so yes. You'd have to start over.

Can't think of a single game this isn't the case

[edit] Park, come play tanks with me for an hour!

GT: BarneyStintson

Dirty Karma fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The 360 version is a completely seperate game, it's not even running on the same engine.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I have finally upgraded the Churchill to full and now I am wrecking, absolutely wrecking face. It's glorious.

And got my first seven kill game in te tier five German tank. Been a good night.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I love the tier 5 Churchill too, although I don't do well with the howitzer due to its slow travel speed and my tendency to do a lot of extreme-range firing. I think I went back down to one of the more direct-firing gun choices and do fine, although I do have to keep 20 pen rounds on-hand for those "gently caress three dudes and I'm the only person holding this area" times. I usually break even on silver though or better. :)

The Churchill VII is good but it doesn't have the same heavy frontal armor, and frankly it gets matched with Tier VIII tanks constantly so you'll probably get rocked in it if you aren't super careful. :(

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think I'll stick with this Churchill and move over to the Americans to go higher tier heavies and the Germans for the proper enclosed TDs. That stug is just too nice, I struggle to get reliable pens even with a higher tier tank

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Had a blast yesterday with Cubivore and some pubby who was chill and wanted to get into a platoon for a while. I think I'm finally beginning to grok artillery, although I can't remember if I finally saved up enough to buy that AT 8, or if I just kept buying small crap instead. Either way, mission accomplished. v:shobon:v

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The founder's packs have gone from the shop, now we get:
Sniper's Delight Bundle: 8.8 PaK 43 Jagdtiger (Tier VIII TD), garage slot, 100% crew, 50 premium shells and 7 days premium. 10900 gold
Tiger Hunter Bundle: Super Pershing (Tier VIII Medium) Garage slot, 100% crew, 50 premium shells, a tank gun rammer and 7 days premium. 8800gold
Always Ready pack: 20 each of Large Repair Kits, Large First Aid Kits and Automatic Fire Extinguishers plus 7 days premium, 3400 gold

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
They might actually sell some stuff if every package wasn't stupid expensive. Both Founders packs would hit you for almost $50, and that was at 40% off.

Why the hell do I need a bunch of bullshit when all I want is the T2 Light and slots?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I can't really talk, I've bought all the tanks so far. The Jagdtiger is a beast of a machine, the Super Pershing... ehhh, that's taking some getting used to, doesn't seem to have the gun depression I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Anime_Otaku posted:

Always Ready pack: 20 each of Large Repair Kits, Large First Aid Kits and Automatic Fire Extinguishers plus 7 days premium, 3400 gold

Unless consumables somehow work drastically differently on the X360 version, this is a complete waste of money. Just shameful.

• Locked thread