Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Deadpool posted:

Well, I have read almost everything he's appeared in. So, maybe? I'm just sayin' that if you like Posehn and Duggan you'll probably like what I suggested for you.

Relax, we all know your secret and it is safe with us Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

SirDan3k posted:

Relax, we all know your secret and it is safe with us Wolverine.

He's the best at what he does, and what he does is give Deadpool comic recs.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Deadpool posted:

Well, I have read almost everything he's appeared in. So, maybe? I'm just sayin' that if you like Posehn and Duggan you'll probably like what I suggested for you.

Haha, it was a joke. I appreciate the help, mister.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You're also eventually going to learn they made a Deadpool MAX. It is a trap. Don't bother reading any of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't listen to that guy. Deadpool MAX is awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Don't listen to that guy. Deadpool MAX is awesome.

Don't listen to this guy. He's trying to make you fall into the Deadpool MAX trap. "Deadpool can curse now, how can this go wrong?" :cripes:

I admit I only read the first three issues before I had enough though. So maybe they saved it in the end. I doubt it. Plus the art was rear end ugly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Deadpool posted:

Don't listen to this guy. He's trying to make you fall into the Deadpool MAX trap. "Deadpool can curse now, how can this go wrong?" :cripes:

I admit I only read the first three issues before I had enough though. So maybe they saved it in the end. I doubt it. Plus the art was rear end ugly.

The only thing that salvaged the rest of the run was more Female Taskmaster. If anything, she deserves her own MAX title.

"I'm top Muskrat."

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
What are opinions on this Thunderbolts run? I only recently checked it out and I have to say while it's not super Deadpool focused or anything, it's not bad. It manages to do gags with him that don't make me roll my eyes at least. I didn't even know he was in the team until they showed up a bit ago. It manages to keep him looking like a threat too, which is a nice bonus.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Well, the series starts with Way, so there's that. It shifted over to Charles Soule, and I like his work a whole lot on both Thunderbolts and She-Hulk. Going forward, it'll be written by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker I believe, who wrote the first Deadpool Annual. I'll keep with it and see where it goes with that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sesq posted:

Well, the series starts with Way, so there's that. It shifted over to Charles Soule, and I like his work a whole lot on both Thunderbolts and She-Hulk. Going forward, it'll be written by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker I believe, who wrote the first Deadpool Annual. I'll keep with it and see where it goes with that.

They also wrote a Thunderbolts Annual that was pretty good. And a Wolverine Season One which was not as good. They also do the Thrilling Adventure Hour live show/podcast and wrote a comic based off that.

Comic posted:

What are opinions on this Thunderbolts run? I only recently checked it out and I have to say while it's not super Deadpool focused or anything, it's not bad. It manages to do gags with him that don't make me roll my eyes at least. I didn't even know he was in the team until they showed up a bit ago. It manages to keep him looking like a threat too, which is a nice bonus.

A lot of people really hate the Way stuff in here, but I think there are some pretty funny character moment in the early issues, and I'm sure most of it is on Marvel Unlimited at this point. It really starts getting good with the Infinity tie-in issues because that's when Soule starts.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 8, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Comic posted:

When Soule wrote it it was pretty great. I'm gonna jump ship when he leaves tho, not as much as I don't think I'll like it with the new writer as much as that I'm already reading more comics than I should anyway, might as well drop something already.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

OlyMike posted:

Did anyone else read the Deadpool MAX series? It was pretty depressing, but I liked it okay. Is there a general opinion about the "Max" series of all of the comics? I liked the Punisher ones a fair amount, and the Wolverine ones were okayish. Is it just an excuse to put tits and brain matter into popular comics?

Punisher and Fury Max were some of the best comics Marvel put out in the last decade, so yeah, I kind of have a high opinion on them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
MAX is very hit or miss. The best stuff, like Punisher or Alias, legitimately uses the creative freedom to add to the story and explore themes that are a hair or two darker than even modern cape comics are comfortable with.

Then you get poo poo like the War Machine and Phoenix books they put out, which are every fear you can think of about cheap, juvenile schlock made manifest.

Which of these two classes you feel Deadpool MAX fell into largely depends on your tolerance for Lapham's humour. I didn't like it. Deadpool Pulp on the other hand, was a great spin on the idea.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

OlyMike posted:

Did anyone else read the Deadpool MAX series? It was pretty depressing, but I liked it okay. Is there a general opinion about the "Max" series of all of the comics? I liked the Punisher ones a fair amount, and the Wolverine ones were okayish. Is it just an excuse to put tits and brain matter into popular comics?

As a general rule, if a MAX series went on for longer than one trade, it's pretty good. If it got cancelled very quickly, don't bother.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

As a general rule, if a MAX series went on for longer than one trade, it's pretty good. If it got cancelled very quickly, don't bother.

For example The Eternal. I don't know what was going on there but holy poo poo what little I read of that was bad.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The Hood was good!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Deadpool was ok this week, not a big fan of this Original Sin arc though. The writing and they art seem to be below par. I don't think it's actually the fault of a crossover though, because the majority of the issue is still just dealing with Vampires.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I've never seen John Lucas' art before this recent arc but I never want to see it again. It's like I wished "I wish artists wouldn't be bland and trace poo poo like Greg Land" on a monkey's paw.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, this arc's been kinda weak, but seeing Deadpool's daughter will hopefully bring stuff up. I'm guessing she'll have his whole "healing factor that's constantly stopping him from dying but loving up his looks" and thus be kinda indestructible and join up with him like some sort of horrifying yet awesome family.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, this arc's been kinda weak, but seeing Deadpool's daughter will hopefully bring stuff up. I'm guessing she'll have his whole "healing factor that's constantly stopping him from dying but loving up his looks" and thus be kinda indestructible and join up with him like some sort of horrifying yet awesome family.

His whole hosed up face thing is because of his cancer so she probably won't be suffering from that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I picked up Deadpool Classic #9 based on the recommdations here and the fact that I like Gale Simone, and I'm enjoying it thus far. I also grabbed the annual with the Spider-Man/Chameleon bit. Here's a possibly stupid question: Is there a way for me to get my hands on last year's annual? Maybe a good place that sells used comics online? The shop I go to told me they wouldn't be able to get something like that and annuals usually aren't included in any trades or collections.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I picked up Deadpool Classic #9 based on the recommdations here and the fact that I like Gale Simone, and I'm enjoying it thus far. I also grabbed the annual with the Spider-Man/Chameleon bit. Here's a possibly stupid question: Is there a way for me to get my hands on last year's annual? Maybe a good place that sells used comics online? The shop I go to told me they wouldn't be able to get something like that and annuals usually aren't included in any trades or collections.

I would just grab a digital copy. Or check out ebay.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

You can get it for $7 shipped from Ebay or Amazon, just watch out for people selling the codes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Senor Candle posted:

I would just grab a digital copy. Or check out ebay.

Thanks. I'll go with the former if I don't have any luck with the latter.

Boinks posted:

You can get it for $7 shipped from Ebay or Amazon, just watch out for people selling the codes.

Yeah, I have no idea what you mean by that. I'm still fairly new at this poo poo.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm guessing she'll have his whole "healing factor that's constantly stopping him from dying but loving up his looks" and thus be kinda indestructible and join up with him like some sort of horrifying yet awesome family.

Uhh, didn't we already have this? I seem to remember a Deadpool that was panned as pretty crap, and had a wide, wide wealth of various deadpools. Lady deadpool, Zombie deadpool, Widdle Wade, etc.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Captain Bravo posted:

Uhh, didn't we already have this? I seem to remember a Deadpool that was panned as pretty crap, and had a wide, wide wealth of various deadpools. Lady deadpool, Zombie deadpool, Widdle Wade, etc.

While I've been loving his entourage during the Posehn/Duggan run (Preston, Michael, the ghost of Benjamin Franklin) I could see a "Deadpool family" getting obnoxious (in a bad way) and tiresome after a few pages.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yeah, I have no idea what you mean by that. I'm still fairly new at this poo poo.

Marvel puts codes in their comics to download the digital version for free and people are listing them on Ebay. If it's the digital version the title should mention 'digital' or 'code'.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Captain Bravo posted:

That's because that was the wrong family. It should have been Taskmaster, Bob, Sandy, and Inez with Weasel and Al complaining off panel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And Cable! <:mad:>

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Boinks posted:

Marvel puts codes in their comics to download the digital version for free and people are listing them on Ebay. If it's the digital version the title should mention 'digital' or 'code'.

Alright, thanks, I appreciate it.

And Deadpool carrying around shrunken Rhino on a keychain in Deadpool Classic #9 is hilarious.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hahah there's a 90's issue coming in September with a 3D variant cover :allears:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So I finished Deadpool Classic #9 and...what? Deadpool dies (yes, I know) halfway through the book, then we get Agent X for the remainder. Don't get me wrong, I liked the character, but he was similar enough to Wade that my question is "Why?" Why did they get rid of Deadpool (I read sales were in the toilet) just to replace him with someone that was almost a facsimile that everyone thinks is Wade anyway?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I finished Deadpool Classic #9 and...what? Deadpool dies (yes, I know) halfway through the book, then we get Agent X for the remainder. Don't get me wrong, I liked the character, but he was similar enough to Wade that my question is "Why?" Why did they get rid of Deadpool (I read sales were in the toilet) just to replace him with someone that was almost a facsimile that everyone thinks is Wade anyway?

I think either there were rights issues or they just wanted an X in the title (Cable's solo book was also renamed to Soldier X at about the same time). I don't know where that volume leaves of, but without ruining it for you it's not exactly what it seems. If you don't care about spoilers then Agent X is not Deadpool. He's a new character that was created out of Black Swan, Deadpool, and one of Black Swan's henchmen. Basically it's the henchman's body with parts of Black Swan's and Deadpool's personalities and abilities mixed into it. I really wish he would show back up in the Deadpool books every once in a while.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Deadpool posted:

I think either there were rights issues or they just wanted an X in the title (Cable's solo book was also renamed to Soldier X at about the same time). I don't know where that volume leaves of, but without ruining it for you it's not exactly what it seems. If you don't care about spoilers then Agent X is not Deadpool. He's a new character that was created out of Black Swan, Deadpool, and one of Black Swan's henchmen. Basically it's the henchman's body with parts of Black Swan's and Deadpool's personalities and abilities mixed into it. I really wish he would show back up in the Deadpool books every once in a while.

Way used him and made him really fat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah. I know. :(

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TheJoker138 posted:

He'd already undergone that particular development in Cable and Deadpool, so the fat part wasn't Way.

It feels weird using spoilers to talk about books that ended years and years ago.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, it is, but I was just being polite to the guy that's trying to catch up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

What about Wisdom?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, it is, but I was just being polite to the guy that's trying to catch up.

Thanks, I appreciate it, but you don't have to worry about spoiler tags. I figured Agent X wasn't Deadpool and I'm glad that's not where they went with it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the character, it just seemed like a really strange decision. His antagonistic dealings with Taskmaster and his relationship with Outlaw were a lot of fun.

Obviously I haven't read Cable & Deadpool yet, but I'm guessing something happens with the whole Deadpool Inc. organization and folks like Sandi disappear and/or get killed at some point being that none of that exists by the time of the Posehn/Duggan run over the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thanks, I appreciate it, but you don't have to worry about spoiler tags. I figured Agent X wasn't Deadpool and I'm glad that's not where they went with it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the character, it just seemed like a really strange decision. His antagonistic dealings with Taskmaster and his relationship with Outlaw were a lot of fun.

Obviously I haven't read Cable & Deadpool yet, but I'm guessing something happens with the whole Deadpool Inc. organization and folks like Sandi disappear and/or get killed at some point being that none of that exists by the time of the Posehn/Duggan run over the last few years.

Outlaw is definitely a lot of fun and I think should be a rotating member of the Deadpool supporting cast. Crazy Inez is always welcome in any Deadpool story as far as I'm concerned. I feel the same about Bob too.

• Locked thread