Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
STATUS CHECK

Will: Imprisoned, ill.
Hannibal: Free, sick.
Streaming: Amazon, Prime.
Acclaim: Intact.
Cuisine: Japanese.
poo poo: Real. (Warning: First scene of season 2.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't believe we're only 2 days out! It's been so long! The only problem with 13 episode seasons is the gap between them.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Saturn awards nominations for Hannibal! Best Network Television Series Release, Best Actor in a Television Series: for Mads, and Gina Torres for Best Guest Star in a Television Series. Personally I'm also glad that Jennifer Carpenter got a nom for Best Actress in a Television Series. Woman has so much range- she needs more recognition, and BETTER material to work with.

Heads up for tomorrow, a twatter thing; "Mads Mikkelsen takes over @NBCHannibal w/ @BryanFuller & @neoprod to answer YOUR questions, Feb 27 @ 2pm PT!"

Also, there's a Hannibal perfume coming out. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/gaumont-nbc-team-evolution-hannibal-682787 "Gaumont International Television and NBCUniversal today announced that licensing and global brand management firm Evolution has been appointed as the international licensing agency for the NBC drama, with plans to launch a wide range of merchandise for the show -- including clothing, accessories, fragrances and even home furnishings and decor -- throughout North America and Europe." I knew they were avid fans of their high-amounts-of-disposable-income demographic, and this is certainly taking hold of those marketing opportunities.

New temp host for all my gifs 'till I get a good host that knows what DDoS protection is. I'm missing a few dozen but eh. BotoPhucket, awayyyyy! Here's the Hannibal directory;
http://s848.photobucket.com/user/Paradox_Personified/library/HANNIBAL
Some that stand out;
the sniff we all know and love

How badass can one human be?

USE THE LADIES' ROOM!!!!!:flame:

They have some goddrat gorgeous establishing shots.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 26, 2014

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Okay, I'll bite; what does the title mean?

Holy hell I want to buy Hannibal-perfume now! I wonder if they;ll try to make a men's fragrance smell like encephalitis....

Gaaaah why can't it be Friday already?!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Astrofig posted:

Okay, I'll bite; what does the title mean?

Well, it really means "DivisionPost had no good thread title ideas but wanted to be seen as clever and sophisticated, even at risk of making the show sound like some weeaboo bullshit through said title." But it literally means "This is my design" in phonetic Japanese.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 26, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Man I was just thinkin about how hungry this show made me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In case you missed it, the opening scene of season 2 is linked to in the OP. And holy poo poo.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Thanks for taking over, DivisionPost. :)

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Show sucks, opening scene put me to sleep. Move along, people.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:
Oh god, two more sleeps. Official recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBrwY_NpgB4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is the opening mise-en-scene or mise-en-place

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm so hype for this. SO HYPE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
No way. While reading this thread just now I saw an ad on tv for the first time. Ha!

Anyways, the perfume strongly reminds me of how there was perfume as a key plot device in the Hannibal movie. Just pointing that out...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I remember everyone here raving about this show back when it first started, I bought the first few episodes on iTunes at the time and I finally watched the first two episodes just now. This is very good television.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Ahhh, just wait! The best is yet to come if you're only two episodes in!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Something creepy about that preview clip is how during the fight Jack is grunting and yelling but Hannibal seems to be silent up until he's getting strangled with the tie. Really unnerving, makes him seem more inhuman.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Can't loving wait for Friday and more Hannibal. :neckbeard:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maaaaan I am so ready in case Crawford dies. This series has shown that it can diverge from the source material and still make it awesome

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, because that is definitely the kind of injury that would kill someone quickly without immediate medical attention.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think its very possible that they plan to actually kill of Crawford. When you think about it he's not actually that important a character(in the books), especially if you exclude Silence of the Lambs, which we know would have to be changed if they wanted to adapt it for this show.

Unfortunately I think we can assume it will be a season-long cliffhanger. The majority of the season will take place in the few weeks before Crawford somehow figures it out.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Good god, I am so excited for this season. This is the first time I have been this excited for a network series in... I don't even know how long.

The first season was some of the most amazing television I've ever seen. I watched it a month ago and I almost wish, in a way, that I had the full break in between seasons, rather than only watching the first season over the course of a week or two back in January. Because to be honest, a lot of the images were just THAT powerful, and what was going on was that complex and that intricate that it almost demands a repeat viewing, but I was so destroyed by that first season that I couldn't really go back. The fact that I was so attached to the Will Graham character, mostly from William Petersen's masterful portrayal in Manhunter. Not to slight Ed Norton but Peterson went to a really deep, intense, place. I felt like Hugh Dancy did that performance justice, and that's saying a lot.

And Mads was just amazing - I still cannot quite believe this guy I had never seen before managed to make me completely forgot about Anthony Hopkins. He just made the character of Hannibal utterly his own - just owned the role from beginning to end. I still can't quite believe it.

So yeah. So excited for season 2. I feel like I'm watching what will end up being among the greatest TV shows ever made from (hopefully) the ground floor. I hope to god they actually get to do the full planned cycle, and manage to get past the stupid hurdle of who holds what rights.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 27, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well Lifetime owns Clarice and they are probably going to hang onto that with a death grip now that Hannibal is a successful show. Can't wait for Maurice Karling to show up.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
This became one of my favorite shows after enduring the first few eps last season. Hope this starts off strong in S2 :getin:

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
I literally yell at people to watch. This is the best show nobody has been watching. Just got done rewatching S1 in anticipation. S2 is looking mighty fine, hopefully they kept NBC away from any design decisions.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Before I watched season 1 the only piece of Hannibal media I had ever consumed was Silence of the Lambs, and watching the other films in the interim only made me appreciate this show that much more. Looking forward to seeing what the show is like now that the central hook of season 1 is effectively gone.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I actually bought season 1 on blu - ray today, I never buy shows! I am so freaking ready for tomorrow night!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

remigious posted:

I actually bought season 1 on blu - ray today, I never buy shows! I am so freaking ready for tomorrow night!

I don't quite know how I'm supposed to feel about your avatar. :o:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So this is pretty cool, someone edited/recut the end of Savoreux to a piece of the Manhunter score. Surprise, it actually works pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gS01F5Cdv8

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Why is Hannibal the Friday night staple and Hollywood Game Night is on Thursdays? ohhhh peacock

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Why is Hannibal the Friday night staple and Hollywood Game Night is on Thursdays? ohhhh peacock

Fridays aren't judged the way Thursdays are. Hannibal pulling a 1.2 in the demo on a Friday night, with NBC only footing half the bill for the show, would make them very happy happy enough. Pulling the same number on Thursdays, however, makes the show dead weight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AV Club saw the first two eps and really, really liked them. If you don't want to click on that because of spoilers (and yeah, it's got em) the title is "Hannibal seems intent on becoming TV's best show".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The GF finally finished playing catchup with season 1 yesterday, and it's making me so happy that she finally understands why so many of my Thursday nights were spent with me just sending swears over messenger. We're totally stoked for tonight.

Also, I think NBC made a wise choice with their schedule change. Thursday Night has been their dead zone foe some time. Also, having the show follow the relatively successful show Grimm, their other main horror title is a pretty good idea.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I don't know how but Russian pirates have already leaked the first episode. With full dub, no less.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

PiedPiper posted:

I don't know how but Russian pirates have already leaked the first episode. With full dub, no less.

I'm so curious as to how pirates really benefit from that? Other than seeing it early.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

Yestermoment posted:

I'm so curious as to how pirates really benefit from that? Other than seeing it early.

monetization from illicit streaming sites usually

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I remember reading an interview some months ago of a guy who made an absurd amount of money just from affiliate clicks for pirated media.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love how this show made me care about the Will Graham character. The movies always kind of played up the idea of Hannibal getting away with everything as being the optimal result (I believe Harris was mortified at the enthusiastic reaction to the end of Silence of the Lambs) but in this series Hannibal has played Will so grotesquely that I can't wait to see Will salvage his reputation and expose Hannibal to the world.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Awesome, I thought this was only coming back next week. Between that and learning that Bret Easton Ellis and Rob Zombie making a Manson Family series, this is a pretty good night for horror/serial killer type of tv shows.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Jerusalem posted:

I love how this show made me care about the Will Graham character. The movies always kind of played up the idea of Hannibal getting away with everything as being the optimal result (I believe Harris was mortified at the enthusiastic reaction to the end of Silence of the Lambs) but in this series Hannibal has played Will so grotesquely that I can't wait to see Will salvage his reputation and expose Hannibal to the world.

I was listening to a fan podcast the other day -- and I mentioned this in the previous thread -- but I'm amazed at how cultivated the fandom for Hannibal is. In a good way. Both Bryan Fuller and some of the big fans/reviewers/bloggers have done a great job of very intentionally steering sympathy away from Hannibal and toward Will Graham. Like yeah, the fancy cannibal is a fascinating character, but you don't want to have a bunch of Hannibal apologists running around seriously thinking this monster is just a romantic, misunderstood antihero. (Because we already went through that with Hannibal and Hannibal Rising, and ugh.)

He's fun to watch and make silly jokes about, but the fact is Hannibal is horrible, and while the show did a masterful job of downplaying his murders to trick us into momentarily investing in Hannibal's relationship with Will, that ultimately made his betrayal and manipulations even more unforgivable. And then you remember he's Hannibal loving Lecter, and you do not root for him no matter how charismatic he is, and there are other interesting characters who are actually human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, that moment when he lies to Will about Gideon being there just broke my heart and made me hate Hannibal intensely, which was the perfect reaction for the show to cause.

• Locked thread