Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Chiming in to say I like the game, I don't mind that it's nothing but a treadmill because it doesn't present itself as anything else really, and you can play in small chunks just fine and collect your mined stuff whenever without feeling like you're 'falling behind' because there's action at all levels aside from the early early poo poo when you have garbage for minions/traps. And there seems like a TON of room to design hard-as-gently caress dungeons, I've run into a few real hard ones in just the level 10-14 region that just kicked my rear end over and over and over. I'd advise anyone getting into it to stick with it past the early game which is admittedly pretty weak, once you get to the 3rd region (10-14) it starts getting a lot more challenging and fun. Just DON'T try to play all day long or something, you'll burn out fast because grinding for gold is slow as hell. Just log in, collect your passive gold, run a few dungeons, maybe level your castle up once and make some tweaks and log out. The passive resource gain is pretty respectable once you've gotten multiple upgraded mines running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I agree. I'm having fun at a really casual level. Nothing in the game has really driven me to invest any time or money into it - which is fine for me but might be a problem for the success of the game overall.
I think this game needs overhauled/much expanded crafting and skill system for the ARPG aspect to be interesting (right now it's only real draw for me is to see other players' castle designs).
The castle design portion is really neat, though. I'd love to see it expanded - maybe including exclusive options or progression paths so as you go up in rank your contemporaries' castles are more and more diverse.
Also unless there's some sort of server issue with it I'd like to see the room limit increased overall.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Onion Knight posted:

Also unless there's some sort of server issue with it I'd like to see the room limit increased overall.
Yeah, I'd really like to see the room limit and castle strength both increase. I mean, 8 at like level 30 (or whatever) is not bad but 4 sucks.

Maybe put some sort of level-based limit on how many things you can put in each room so all dungeons become more spread out.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Finally got into this game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's a shame they don't let you trial all three classes during the tutorial and then make you pick one though I guess you could just make three accounts and do it that way. The castle designing is probably the most interesting part for me, because I really like trying to predict what other people will do in advance and then use traps to screw them for it, and seeing how some people layout their rooms and the way they use their traps is really slick.

Also Zekes are murder machines, that charge up 3 shot attack does absurd damage and will wreck you if you get stunned.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Mo_Steel posted:

Finally got into this game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's a shame they don't let you trial all three classes during the tutorial and then make you pick one though I guess you could just make three accounts and do it that way. The castle designing is probably the most interesting part for me, because I really like trying to predict what other people will do in advance and then use traps to screw them for it, and seeing how some people layout their rooms and the way they use their traps is really slick.

Also Zekes are murder machines, that charge up 3 shot attack does absurd damage and will wreck you if you get stunned.

The Zekes are absolutely unfair and totally unfun. So my castle has a springboard trap where you land in glue in front of two Zekes and a shield robot.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Also got into this and I am enjoying it so far. Nothing stellar, but I am having fun.

Feel free to add me as your internet friend (Tinkerballz).

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Folks can add me as well: Mo_Steel.

Once this exits open beta it'd probably be good to have an actual OP full of info for new players.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I am a terrible OP writer. I leave that to someone better than me.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I'm Inde[SA] if anyone wants to invade my deathtrap

miketh
Aug 19, 2005
wookie ghost trouble
I'm on as Blazzg, feel free to add/attack me!

I am having fun so far; level 15 and the game is definitely fairly simple so far but as a mage I feel like I spend way too much gold on potions.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thunderclap is a goddamn lifesaver as a Mage because the stun lasts for ages, giving you time to pick off priority targets like Zekes.

I'm also pretty sure the Lightning Dash is mandatory. It makes otherwise instant death traps something you just surf on through. It does get a bit boring when you run into castles that are nothing but the exact same trap repeated 5 times in a row though. I get it, you saw springboards into fire bombs, but seriously if you just put that poo poo out there without any dressing I'm going to waltz through it, much less five boring rear end times in a row.

I would be curious to see their class breakdowns, it seems like I never see Archers. Other cool features down the road would be team raids instead of just solo, though I imagine that'd require some significant additional groundwork.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah there is no loving way you can do without mage dash or one of the other class appropriate movement skills, once springboards and poo poo come into play if you can't dodge over key points you just start getting destroyed. There's one particular trap setup at level 18+ once gel-walls unlock that is just brutal as gently caress, I got fed up with it and put it in my castle because I want to know how OTHER people deal with it. And of course, the first few people that came through beat it first try :argh: Gonna keep unlocking my castle while my cash is low though to get more feedback on it.

Unrelated, but I love the creature work in this game, especially the Hungerbot/Scorpio, so wierdly cute!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm PigRigged, and would like to double down on the Zekes and springboards. My little fighter charge attack thing is invaluable for getting past stupid trap gimmicks... and for validating my own stupid trap gimmick filled dungeon. Springboards into stunlocking Hungerbots and headhunting Zekes? Yes please.

I forget what they're called, but the little munchy floor tiles are also pretty easy damage I've noticed if you can keep springing folks into them.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Then you run into traps which RELY on people charging over them and you still die.

Those are fun. :)

Get the timing down for springboards, tap them, back off, move forward. With that said I think it's really hard to not use the charge skills, anything less than 3 stars is sad, but they don't really save your hide like some other skill picks can.

Edit: Also, the brief pause the mage has before activating the electric slide is loving killer. The shocking ability is KIND of useful but I'd much rather have an actual survival skill like the aforementioned thunderclap.

Anyone know how the competitions work? There's usually a 25 bling chest next to my name, does that mean I'm ranked well enough to receive 25 blings at the end of that competition?

It seems kind of brutal if only the top 3 players receive blings as the scoreboard would lead me to believe. Best I've ever done is rank 50th place with about 20 seconds behind #1. I have changed my score from the 10 bling bag to the 25 bling chest so I'm inclined to believe you do get 25 blings, but it doesn't seem like I did when the last competitions ended.

Edit2: Woo!! just ranked 17 on Angry Hot Dogs, just a few seconds off and I'd have been in the top 10.. of course, there are 6 days remaining.

:smuggo: ranked #1 on tarantuland.

VVVVV

First Bass posted:

e: they need to remove Zeke, because he's bullshit incarnate
Yeah, I agree. Zeke is way too loving good. I think he needs to be toned down, not removed, and other monsters need to be improved. Especially the weaker ones, it's just too easy to deal with a horde of critters, and they're just an awful waste of defense rating right now.

VVVVV

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 9, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I am Furst, and this is a pretty fun game. It's like Torchlight and Orcs Must Die! has a kid, and that kid grew up to be unfunny and sort of grating but fun to hang around.

e: they need to remove Zeke, because he's bullshit incarnate

Four Score fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 9, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

Yeah there is no loving way you can do without mage dash or one of the other class appropriate movement skills, once springboards and poo poo come into play if you can't dodge over key points you just start getting destroyed. There's one particular trap setup at level 18+ once gel-walls unlock that is just brutal as gently caress, I got fed up with it and put it in my castle because I want to know how OTHER people deal with it. And of course, the first few people that came through beat it first try :argh: Gonna keep unlocking my castle while my cash is low though to get more feedback on it.

Unrelated, but I love the creature work in this game, especially the Hungerbot/Scorpio, so wierdly cute!

I assume you're talking about the Gel Walls / Ballistic / Spring Board / Bomb setup, which I just ran into at level 16. Boy am I looking forward to every castle being that and only that going forward. I feel like it comes down to luck whether I can get past that or not, if my electric dash goes just right I'll avoid the spring boards but now I've got a fraction of a second to find the spot without bombs (but with another Gel), get to it, and mash my potion key so I don't die from the Zeke's targeting me now and the handful of Fire Bombs catching me in the Gel.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

I assume you're talking about the Gel Walls / Ballistic / Spring Board / Bomb setup, which I just ran into at level 16. Boy am I looking forward to every castle being that and only that going forward. I feel like it comes down to luck whether I can get past that or not, if my electric dash goes just right I'll avoid the spring boards but now I've got a fraction of a second to find the spot without bombs (but with another Gel), get to it, and mash my potion key so I don't die from the Zeke's targeting me now and the handful of Fire Bombs catching me in the Gel.

Yeah that's the one, you can do my castle if you want to practice it (although I'm not sure if you get free potions in Practice mode?). I still die to it often when re-validating :(

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So how accurate is this Steam review?

quote:

BTW This is not a multiplayer game.
WARNING: LONG READ
Very linear progressing game, due to limited choices in developing a castle or caracter there is nothing you can create to take your own path...
They have now changed the gamerules ripping me of my progress and making the game more lame, plus since they introduces validating after changes and leveling linked with your castle heart it is now no longer possible to have a 'large' castle with low level monsters. If you want to change anything you'll have to validate the castle, so making a quick change is no longer possible......
In short it went from a poor game to lame and uninteresting...and we are not even away from beta yet.
If you haven't got it GET SOMETHING ELSE.

Bought my chair years ago, luckely my carpenter doesn't come by once a month to ask me money for every time i sat in his chair (there is a counter build in)under the argument that he (or most of the times a greedy somebody else, but he who bought the 'legal' right) made it so many years ago and that was such hard work that he wants to be paid for it for the rest of his life, so he can sit on the beach.
Oh, and he also used poor quality paint, and the contract states that you have to pay him every year to repaint it and you are not allowed to do it yourself or force him to use quality paint....he can take away the chair any time you do not comply.
I would probably laugh at him, throw him & the chair out of my house while calling him a thief and build my own chair or just sit on the floor...

I like the looks and the slightly funny info of the game.
Might be something for people who want to play 5-10 minutes per day on the same game
But for all others.....
The way you should build your castle is very slow, about one move per day or per 2 days, if you want more you have to spend real money to get the game going.

But the real problem is the game itself:
Due to the slow buildup of your castle and/or hero it will probably not remain in my playlist for very long. The earning models to buy gems to speed up the process if you want to have some development in the game makes it unplayable. Same goes for the upgrades of the mines, in the beginning it's manageble, but somewhere near 140 per hour you have to wait 6 hours to get 14 pc more per hour, this takes 70 hours to reclaim the loss of 6 hours, with the following upgrades it gets even worse.
The whole game seems to revolve around getting virtual money, in the form of blue, green and yellow money, so you can progress.
I have to wait 2-3 days now and login twice a day to upgrade part A and then wait another 2-3 days (with 2 logins a day) for part B...when i'm at part D or F i can then build one extra room......for people who enjoy waiting for the grass to grow, this is it.
Oh, i can also spend real money to speed this up, good luck big spenders and bling lovers.

So you want people that don't pay extra to only reach a high level if they put in a few hundred hours at least and for real money they can build that in a few hours....it's the death of gaming.
Where the basis should be that you start with equal chances and may the best win, here it is: may the foolish with deep pockets win.
I am now at the point that the losses per day are equal to the earnings, if i want to proceed i have to log a lot of attacks (some 30 in one day) on other castles or spend real money.

As you can see, most positive reviews are from people who have only played it 2-3 hours, ask them again IF they ever reach 10 or more hours if it's fun.
To bad the gaming industry is so greedy, they destroy gameplay in the hopes they can get rich over your frustration.

About games that play online only, it is a concept where you pay money to get NOTHING.
You should never pay for that, unless you like to sponsor greedy and possibly lazy people.

Let's make that comparison in real life, you buy a new game like agricola (only single player i know, but this also works for multiplayer game like monopoly, but in the rules it states that sometimes your game is just gone for a few days or unusable for hours because:
a) you don't have the key to open the box and you have to connect via internet to the company, they will verify and send you an unlock code IF there servers are online, otherwise get a deck of cards because you can't open the box.
b) the company decides when they want to change something to the game and don't give you an access key to the box until you have accepted the new board/rules/pieces and have send proof of destroying the now, according to the company, obsolete parts of the game.
c) if you leave the game unlocked out of the box without logging moves somebody from the company drives by and closes and locks the game for you or takes it away because you broke the unreasonable and sometimes illegal licence agreement.
d) if the company thinks they have earned enough or that the profit is too low they push a button and all sold games are locked forever...in basic they destroy your property or at least making it impossible to use. but you may be able to buy the same game with more detailled visuals if you want and sign an even more absurd and immoral licence agreement.
e) you have to have a working internet connection even when you are at home playing agricola or monopoly with some friends and log all moves made by the players otherwise some people from the company come by and take away the game. Possibly if your internet connection is made via an android machine they also want to know your exact gps location while playing monopoly, all phonenumbers and calls you make or recieve, when you scratched your left ear, your eternal soul and your firstborn child.
f) if you want to win at monopoly you just pay the company and they give you different 'chance' cards and an instruction to make it look like you just picked them from the deck or maybe just programmable dice.....those naturally selfdestruct after use, so buy some more....

If the servers are down you only have some waisted harddisk space. If you are somewhere without internet you can't play although you pay....if it's a game you want to play again years later you suddenly discover that the servers are down and will never come up again. USELESS and in my opinion theft.

Singleplayer games that have no offline mode have no right of existence and should not be sponsored....

You used to have multiplayer games with lan capability, so you could play at home with friends, just as with monopoly and even start a server after years of being abandoned.....i'm almost wondering where my cd of RTCW is, although the graphics are crap the gameplay is good and after all these years it still works.

In all seriousness, though, the only bad thing about a Clash of Clans comparison is that game quickly hits a point where you have to pay to do *anything* in less than a week. Is this game that bad about it, or no?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
That review is basically of an entirely different game at this point. I guess it was like that during alpha?

The characters being linear is right, but now setting up castle defenses/mines is instantaneous.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mo0 posted:

So how accurate is this Steam review?

In all seriousness, though, the only bad thing about a Clash of Clans comparison is that game quickly hits a point where you have to pay to do *anything* in less than a week. Is this game that bad about it, or no?

He's talking about the game as it was about 6 months ago, so not really accurate at all.

You no longer have to wait for upgrades on anything, and everything only costs ingame currency ( which you collect rather quickly. ). The only thing you can spend real money on at this point is castle themes ( haunted, icey, on fire, doesn't change anything but the background motif ), hats, and the new character. However she'll probably be buyable through ingame money by the games launch.

The reason you have to run the castle after ever minor change is because it needs to be beatable for other players. If I could drop down 7 bosses and go on my merry way, that could be an unbeatable curbstomp and I'd have "won" the game. By beating my own traps I prove it's a beatable castle, and they happily put it up on display for other people to run. And if you don't feel like running it, it'll cache your old castle and just use that until you run it and verify the new castle is beatable.

The only issues the game has is leveling is a bit slow if you focus on player castles, and it's a bit shallow until around level 10. Once you get to 13-15 it becomes much more fun, and by the 20-30's it really opens up. If you can get over both of those issues, it's a good game.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Rookersh posted:

He's talking about the game as it was about 6 months ago, so not really accurate at all.

Which is awesome, because that review was posted 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the answers, though, sounds like it might be worth a shot! I'll download it right now. :)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is there a way to unequip the second ring slot? Everything just goes to the first slot so I've got a level one ring stuck down there.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

Yeah that's the one, you can do my castle if you want to practice it (although I'm not sure if you get free potions in Practice mode?). I still die to it often when re-validating :(

Thanks, practice will help a lot.

Unguided posted:

Is there a way to unequip the second ring slot? Everything just goes to the first slot so I've got a level one ring stuck down there.

Swapping from Attack to Defend and back or relaunching the game usually fixes this bug for me. It's annoying, but such is the world of free to play open betas.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
I've been playing this, it's been pretty fun on a casual sort of level like others have said. Interested in getting a few more people to poke around with, anyone looking for a new castle to try out please add Miffroon to their friends list. I've a level 18 castle currently, seem to have something of a 50% success rate with raiding castles, mostly down to bullshit numbers of Zeke's loving me over

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Zekes aren't an issue. The issue is that there's barely any other legit ways of killing someone.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I've noticed that the muncher floors do pretty surprising damage when they can get a few bites off, but it might take some work to turn them into something lethal.

I wish gold and whatnot didn't spawn on springboards. It ruins the surprise!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

a!n posted:

Zekes aren't an issue. The issue is that there's barely any other legit ways of killing someone.

Totally agree. It's not that Zekes are extremely overpowered, it's that an even halfway competent player can steamroll almost anything else.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Thankfully there's supposed to be a big balance patch this week, hopefully it doesn't get delayed and shakes up the metagame.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Man I really wish there were an EXP mine.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of the reason for the prevalence of the same repeating instant death traps is because the game structure incentivizes that sort of trap. If you die once, you get none of the loot from their chests and lose. It's obvious they can track other criteria (i.e. the stars affecting crowns) so I see no reason why they couldn't change it to be a gradient based on time, damage taken, deaths, mines killed, etc. If you die twice and take 1 minute longer than the validation run you only get 20% of their stealable loot portion or something like that and you can't loot their chests again for 2 hours; then Shield their castle once it reaches 100% taken from their stealable loot portion. As a side benefit, now castles aren't all becoming shielded within 5 minutes of you going to a region so you don't have to burn gold as often to get more.

You'd still have instant death traps because that gets the castle owner some reward but it wouldn't be the all-or-nothing it is now.

e: Also, for new players this might be helpful:

My understanding is that Soft Cap is the number of Defense Points-worth of creatures that will attack you on sight, Hard Cap is how many will attack you upon being attacked. This separates creatures into 2 groups: those that have an "Attack Ticket" and are attempting to kill you, and those that are waiting to get an "Attack Ticket" who will try to evade you. We'll see how this stands through the possible balance patch, but right now there are caveats too (traps don't technically count for this but they will cause creatures to de-aggro; bosses never de-agro, etc.)

Other info here.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 10, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

The obvious flaw in that system being that in order to maximise the actual defense rating the hero has to deal with at any given time its best to force them to aggro everything at once so that if the defense rating of active monsters would drop below the cap others will immediately reinforce them.

I really hope that chart becomes useless asap.

Also, traps don't cause creatures to de-aggro. Minions run away when they're below ~50% health and theyre in range of traps. Just one more reason why most melee monsters are really bad right now.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I'm going to jump on the "this is pretty fun" bandwagon. In as moreliketen. Come steal my poo poo!

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 10, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ran into a level 19 castle that was nothing but the same Gel + Ballistics + Springs + Firebombs repeatedly with a few bite traps and a pair of Zekes thrown in for measure here and there, but I've actually gotten the hang of dealing with those now. 10k XP for clearing it by making all the traps go off, 15k gold and 10k blue crystals for my level 17 character. The best part? He kept unshielding it so I made four or five runs at it getting those quantities every time. Last I saw it was falling down to 9k gold. I gave him some castle feedback, hopefully he takes it to heart. :3:

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I'm keeping my castle at level 16 until the patch hits. I use a combination of teleporting beholders, gelatinous walls, ballistic cannons and healing puppeteers thats keeping me afloat at 400 crowns.

Around level 12 I was using tether defendatrons with stun cyclopes and later 2-hander Jimbos and ballistic cannons. It worked really well against Knights but was useless against the other classes.

Boss room spam and fire mines may be the most efficient ways to rack up kills but people are bullshitting if they say you can't do a 'normal' castle.

I'm a!n by the way.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I am SuperMo0, and I enjoy losing to people in video games. Please add me!

Good to hear that there's balance incoming, because I was getting the distinct impression that there were a bunch of useless monsters early on.

e: Is there a way to rebind my keys? I mouse left-handed, moving the hotkeys to JKL; or something similar would be really spiffy.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 11, 2014

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Goggle it!

Younhave to edit a file. I am left handed too and couldn't handle the default keys at all.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

In as Lemon_King. Pretty neat game, I'm sitting at 90 crowns right now and my castle finally won against another player.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
"Our authentication server is bugging out, please check back in a little while."

Not an auspicious start.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Gynovore posted:

"Our authentication server is bugging out, please check back in a little while."

Not an auspicious start.

Yeah I had just installed it on a whim and this happens. :)

edit: in the meantime, are crowns purely aesthetic? Or do they affect loot in some way?

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Yep. I played the tutorial and in the middle of it, servers went down and my game froze and the crash report just didn't send for like 20 minutes. When the server is up it runs okay, there are still some intermittent issues though.

TheChad posted:

edit: in the meantime, are crowns purely aesthetic? Or do they affect loot in some way?
They're sort of your "skill indicator" that puts you in the competitive leagues. If you get 200+ to join Minion III, you get 3% bonus loot. Every 200 crowns from then on gives you an extra 1%, so 400+ 4%, 600+, 5%. etc. as you advance. It gets pretty hard to get more crowns at a certain point though, because you stand to lose so many and only gain a few and the number of people with crowns is waaaaay outnumbered by those who do not.

Edit: Also you somehow get a Bling stipend for being ranked, I don't have any idea how that works, same for the bling rewards from the competitive castles.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 12, 2014

• Locked thread