Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Tom Powers posted:

Yep. I played the tutorial and in the middle of it, servers went down and my game froze and the crash report just didn't send for like 20 minutes. When the server is up it runs okay, there are still some intermittent issues though.

They're sort of your "skill indicator" that puts you in the competitive leagues. If you get 200+ to join Minion III, you get 3% bonus loot. Every 200 crowns from then on gives you an extra 1%, so 400+ 4%, 600+, 5%. etc. as you advance. It gets pretty hard to get more crowns at a certain point though, because you stand to lose so many and only gain a few and the number of people with crowns is waaaaay outnumbered by those who do not.

Edit: Also you somehow get a Bling stipend for being ranked, I don't have any idea how that works, same for the bling rewards from the competitive castles.

Ahh that's cool, I rapidly went up to 160 or so but then stopped caring because I couldn't see any benefit. Just finished building a hardish castle so I was leaving the shield off and seeing how others fared with it. First person to try it died so that's a good start. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Fire mines are loving murderous, watch out for castles with low stop% because that usually means that it relies on a trap that most people saw (I am never most people).

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

TheChad posted:

Ahh that's cool, I rapidly went up to 160 or so but then stopped caring because I couldn't see any benefit. Just finished building a hardish castle so I was leaving the shield off and seeing how others fared with it.
This is basically the only way I can get crowns anymore, higher level players run it and take like 3 crowns from me, at-level people die to it and give me 20.

If you've got a bunch of cash, lots of people will be tempted to run it, especially if you're not very high level yet. Once people are introduced to zekes, spring traps, fire mines, etc - you stop killing people so much with them.

MoreLikeTen posted:

watch out for castles with low stop% because that usually means that it relies on a trap that most people saw
Or their castle is just bad. Seriously, some people are horrible at this game and they need to actually finish their own castle to validate it.

Edit: My castle is, I think, stuck on Easy due to how crappy it was to start - but I never had any trouble with it whatsoever no matter what I did until about lvl 15 so I had no idea what to do to improve it. Nobody has EVER beaten my time, though, usually by a huge margin like 5+ minutes, so that helps prevent crown loss. I just wish that it were dynamic, rather than "oh you beat the magic time, 3 stars, full credit." because it's kind of stupid that speed runners (like me) know their own dungeon like the back of their hand and don't even have to collect any drops. I think if you miss out par by a really loving long time by pulling everything back to the entrance that should hurt your performance more than just losing 1 star.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 12, 2014

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

TheChad posted:

Yeah I had just installed it on a whim and this happens. :)

edit: in the meantime, are crowns purely aesthetic? Or do they affect loot in some way?
Crowns are just a fancy way of displaying player ELO.
e: Apparently they do give bonuses.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 12, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Stuck at the tutorial. It won't let me place the blacksmith anywhere.

Also the installer installed DirectX 9 without asking. :bang:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

Stuck at the tutorial. It won't let me place the blacksmith anywhere.

Also the installer installed DirectX 9 without asking. :bang:

Those objects can only be placed in the little sidewells of the room your treasure chests are in near the giant heart crystal, in case you're like me and tried putting them in the throne room or elsewhere first.

e: Alright, trying to decide between two chain lightning staves:

This is the staff I've been using, it owns. The DPS while damaged isn't a big deal, Explosive Strike for 722 Damage is a big loving deal. There are times when that strike triggers and it blows up a pair of Zekes and a Dr. Skull next to them and just wrecks immense face, but I just picked this thing up on a run through of a boring copy-paste of the exact same castle trap setups I seem to ever see:

The DPS is a fair amount higher, Poison Damage and Crit Chance I don't care about much right now, and the 7% Stun Chance is great stuff, bumping my character stun chance to 10%. The second staff also increases my spell damage output a bit too, meaning my Death Bolts do something like 100 or 200 more damage. I'm leaning towards the second one, but man I am going to miss Explosive Strike randomly proccing and melting a pack for what is a more consistent weapon and better spells.

e2: Patch Details for tomorrow:

quote:

BALANCING

A first round of Balancing has been done to the Creatures. This first round concerns Elite Creatures:

• Jimbo’s damage curve was reworked on all levels
  • Pete Poundmore’s attack “Floor Punch” now deals more damage on Tiers 4/5/6
  • Countess Bloodbathory now has more Resistance to Damage on all levels
  • Zeke
    • “Headshot” now deals 10% less damage. The arrow speed has been slightly reduced, and Crits were removed on all levels
    • “Spread Eagle” now deals more damage, with a cooldown between arrows reduced by 0.5s on all levels

Please keep in mind that this is only the first round of Balancing we are implementing in the game. More will follow with the next Patch, and with a next one, and so on. Your feedback will, as always, be critical to us, so please keep commenting in the forums!

-----------

:siren:Known Issues:siren:

Here is a recap of the known issue and their current status.

AUTHENTICATION ERROR

As stated in the previous Development Update, the Authentication Error has been fixed for 95% of our players.
If you keep encountering this error, please create a ticket!

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS ERROR

We keep on working toward optimizing the game so that it runs on as many configurations as possible.
We would like to remind our player that the “Minimum Requirement Error” message is not arbitrary: if you are encountering it, your current configuration simply cannot run the game. The game would crash if we were to let you bypass that message.

The good news is, 95% of you guys have a good enough configuration to actually run the game! The only issue is the following: you absolutely need to have updated drivers.

Please check your Video Card manufacturer’s website to check if your drivers are up-to-date - it will solve the issue for the immense majority of you!

If you keep encountering Minimum Requirements errors having updated your drivers, please create a ticket.

ISSUES WITH THE TUTORIAL

Some of our users have encountered issues in our Tutorial. Here are the three behaviours we have identified:

• During the Mines placement, you have moved a Room and rendered your Castle invalid without being able to fix it
  • By purchasing too many Castle Heart upgrades or Creatures, you have emptied your Life Force chests and cannot purchase more Creatures/Traps
  • During Creature placement, you have maxed your Castle’s Defense Points and are unable to put down the Trap Generator

If you happen to be in one of these situations, please create a ticket. We will unlock your account manually while we fix the root cause. If you want more information, click here!

Some users have also stated that they were locked in the Tutorial because they didn’t have any clear objectives to attain anymore. It is simply because you need to level up to level 4 to kill Count Snottingham to get to the next step!

If you encounter any other issue with the Tutorial, please let us know in the forums!

CASTLE DEFENSE EXPLOIT

Some of our users have found an exploit to keep their Castle from being attackable. We have found the issue and started solving it manually with existing users. It will be fixed definitely in one of our next Patches.

USER INTERFACE/INVENTORY LAG OR BUGS

Some of our users have difficulties equipping/removing certain pieces of Gear, such as the 2nd Ring. Tooltips also sometime fail to appear while hovering the mouse over an item. This is being tackled as we speak and will be fixed in our next patch.

Some of our users are also experiencing UI lags after playing for a certain amount of time, or after following a set of steps in the game. This is a rather large issue that we will keep working on in the future. Fixes will regularly come to enhance the situation, and everything will be fixed once we ultimately integrate a new User Interface system in the game.

Next week’s Patch will actually fix a memory leak issue that could generate lag when watching a lot of replays.

-----------

That’s all for now!

Please leave a comment if you think we have forgotten something important. We will try to update you all as regularly as possible on all of the topics covered today.

More to come very soon!

Probably good that they aren't overdoing the balance changes too rapidly, but I will be eternally happy if they nerf the piss out of Fire Bombs.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 12, 2014

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
So I went through the battle log to see if there was some cold revenge to be had - let's see, this guy attacked me a few days ago (I was 14, he was 17) and now I'm 16 and he's 22. Hmm, what do I stand to gain.. 40 crowns if I win, -0 if I lose? Well then, let's do this.

Yeah his castle sucked. Thanks for the 40 crowns jackass.

Edit: I'll probably go through the thread and friend invite people because practicing castles, especially good ones, is a nice way to improve. It's a shame it consumes potions but at least they're cheap. My username is garrybot so don't be surprised if you see the request.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 13, 2014

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

quote:

• Jimbo’s damage curve was reworked on all levels
  • Pete Poundmore’s attack “Floor Punch” now deals more damage on Tiers 4/5/6
  • Countess Bloodbathory now has more Resistance to Damage on all levels
  • Zeke
    • “Headshot” now deals 10% less damage. The arrow speed has been slightly reduced, and Crits were removed on all levels
    • “Spread Eagle” now deals more damage, with a cooldown between arrows reduced by 0.5s on all levels

These changes accomplish absolutely nothing :v:
Are they not even fixing the broken aggro or crown systems?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

a!n posted:

These changes accomplish absolutely nothing :v:
Are they not even fixing the broken aggro or crown systems?

Not critting and slower projectiles mean a lot more than the 10% damage decrease does to me, and depending on how much slower we'll see if people transition to using the squishier Smelly Archers instead since you can get 3 of them for the same defense rating as a single Zeke.

I'm not sure what you mean by broken aggro or crown system? The aggro system works on an Attack Ticket basis that I posted a chart of higher up the page and while it has issues it usually works in that way; I'm not having any problems with crowns as a method of ranking.

I do wish I could see the stats for my own castle though, unless I'm missing some obvious button.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

Not critting and slower projectiles mean a lot more than the 10% damage decrease does to me, and depending on how much slower we'll see if people transition to using the squishier Smelly Archers instead since you can get 3 of them for the same defense rating as a single Zeke.

I'm not sure what you mean by broken aggro or crown system? The aggro system works on an Attack Ticket basis that I posted a chart of higher up the page and while it has issues it usually works in that way; I'm not having any problems with crowns as a method of ranking.

I do wish I could see the stats for my own castle though, unless I'm missing some obvious button.

Don't really see why people would use Smelly archers as they do less damage and are susceptible to AoE.

Regarding the broken aggro system:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611416&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post426780844

It's broken because putting all your stuff into one place is always the best option.

The crown system is broken because if you lose to someones castle you will lose some crowns and then can't lose any more crowns to them for a period of time. This means you get to do their castle again and again until you beat it, at which point you get crowns. This means that defending is currently a losing proposition, as you can never get more out of it than you lose.

a!n fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 13, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

a!n posted:

It's broken because putting all your stuff into one place is always the best option.
I've been abusing when people do that to kill off all the inactive Zekes and Drs first while a boss and a defendotron uselessly chase me. It's like "Thanks for making it easy to snipe all your support units castle-builder!" There's a number of ways an attacker can put this to their advantage.

Also there's a lot of people who set up their aggro circles to pull one at a time if you do it in the right order for fast validation, but then make it possible to only have to kill 1/4 of the castle monsters to finish AND get all the mines so you can easily beat their validation time. It's hilarious.

The system is still kind of wonky right now, but "best option" is an overstatement.

quote:

The crown system is broken because if you lose to someones castle you will lose some crowns and then can't lose any more crowns to them for a period of time. This means you get to do their castle again and again until you beat it, at which point you get crowns. This means that defending is currently a losing proposition, as you can never get more out of it than you lose.
If you lose attacking, I'm pretty sure you always lose the full amount. If you win, you're usually only getting half the listed amount, especially if you're dying a bunch of times. If it's an even trade for win/loss, and you die then win later, you only get half your crowns back.

Also, if anyone wants to add me as a friend in game, I'm in as Suzera. I could use some castle-buddies.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Kylra posted:

I've been abusing when people do that to kill off all the inactive Zekes and Drs first while a boss and a defendotron uselessly chase me. It's like "Thanks for making it easy to snipe all your support units castle-builder!" There's a number of ways an attacker can put this to their advantage.

Also there's a lot of people who set up their aggro circles to pull one at a time if you do it in the right order for fast validation, but then make it possible to only have to kill 1/4 of the castle monsters to finish AND get all the mines so you can easily beat their validation time. It's hilarious.

The system is still kind of wonky right now, but "best option" is an overstatement.
Wrong.
First of all it's the most efficient way to use traps. If you can ensure the attacker stays within a certain area and you put all your monsters inside that area then you don't have to put traps elsewhere.
Secondly even if the attacker can only be attacked by a certain amount of monster defense rating at a time putting everything into one room makes it harder for the attacker. If the monsters were spread out the attacker would get free downtime between encounters and could manage their situation much easier. If they all aggro at the same time or force the attacker into further aggro zones then after the attacker kills the monsters others will immediately take their place. There is no choice involved.
Lastly, the hardcap downright encourages this castle structure as it makes the potential defense rating go up if the attacker engages monsters without an attack ticket.

quote:

If it's an even trade for win/loss, and you die then win later, you only get half your crowns back.
No. That's why it's broken. Assuming equal or lower crowns it's even a net gain for the attacker.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

El Generico posted:

I'd just like to say that I loving loathe this game's "sense of humour". Every time anyone says anything in this game I want to punch my monitor.

It's not bad per se, but play Castle Doctrine and Marvel Heroes instead.

Same here, I almost didn't finish the tutorial because of how heavy handed they went with the humour, after that though, it was fairly fun.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

a!n posted:

Wrong.
First of all it's the most efficient way to use traps. If you can ensure the attacker stays within a certain area and you put all your monsters inside that area then you don't have to put traps elsewhere.
Secondly even if the attacker can only be attacked by a certain amount of monster defense rating at a time putting everything into one room makes it harder for the attacker. If the monsters were spread out the attacker would get free downtime between encounters and could manage their situation much easier. If they all aggro at the same time or force the attacker into further aggro zones then after the attacker kills the monsters others will immediately take their place. There is no choice involved.
Lastly, the hardcap downright encourages this castle structure as it makes the potential defense rating go up if the attacker engages monsters without an attack ticket.
Just keep letting me kill your Zeke's (or maybe everything) off for free I guess. Either by sniping over your trapline or killing the Zekes as they uselessly try to run after I have hard-capped on defendotrons or what have you.

The trick is you kill the ones without tickets, so the monsters taking each others' place don't matter! You're killing the reinforcements. More monsters in one place past the hardcap is more defenseless aoe targets.

quote:

No. That's why it's broken. Assuming equal or lower crowns it's even a net gain for the attacker.
Lets say it's +20 for win, -20 for loss. You die, -20. You then 2 star win within the retry time frame so you don't take another loss hit, +10. You're at a net loss of -10, right?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Kylra posted:

Just keep letting me kill your Zeke's (or maybe everything) off for free I guess. Either by sniping over your trapline or killing the Zekes as they uselessly try to run after I have hard-capped on defendotrons or what have you.

The trick is you kill the ones without tickets, so the monsters taking each others' place don't matter! You're killing the reinforcements. More monsters in one place past the hardcap is more defenseless aoe targets.
I'm aware of that. Read my post again? It's still better than the alternative.

quote:

Lets say it's +20 for win, -20 for loss. You die, -20. You then 2 star win within the retry time frame so you don't take another loss hit, +10. You're at a net loss of -10, right?
You can just retry until you know you will make three stars.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kylra posted:

I've got to agree with this. When I get thrown into a huge mass of enemies I don't typically have much of a problem unless I'm stunlocked and killed that way, in which case the extra hangers on were wasted resources anyway: I spend the entire battle chasing down every Zeke and Dr. Skull waiting for an Attack Ticket and kill them with ease. If they don't have an Attack Ticket they're as good as free kills and a waste of the defense points of the castle owner.

A!n you said "If you can ensure the attacker stays within a certain area and you put all your monsters inside that area then you don't have to put traps elsewhere" but most traps I've seen I can get out of with a few seconds of delay at most. Most of the trap setups I see now are Ballistics ringing Gel Walls into a narrow corridor of Spring Traps and then Bombs and the entirety of the Boss Room stacked up to aggro once you get pushed in. It's a dull trap layout that undoubtedly catches some players because otherwise it wouldn't be used, but it has a big flaw. If I glide in past the springboards into the mines and keep running forward or to the side, whichever is clear, I usually take almost no damage while setting off most of the mines. Now my glide is already ticking down it's 5 second cooldown and I've aggroed every monster in the Boss Room. 1 AOE stun or a few seconds of moving in a circle around the pack and my lightning glide ability is back up and I float right back out of the room the same way I came in. Normally monsters are stuck in there at that point, but if you get far enough away (~1 room distance) they start ignoring traps and trickling to you.

What I would like to see is 1 and 2 Defense Point monsters having more utility and usefulness. Is there a point to Derps or Chickens besides raise dead fodder for Dr. Skulls?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 13, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

a!n posted:

You can just retry until you know you will make three stars.
Unless you take too long and lose more crowns in the process.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

I've got to agree with this. When I get thrown into a huge mass of enemies I don't typically have much of a problem unless I'm stunlocked and killed that way, in which case the extra hangers on were wasted resources anyway: I spend the entire battle chasing down every Zeke and Dr. Skull waiting for an Attack Ticket and kill them with ease. If they don't have an Attack Ticket they're as good as free kills and a waste of the defense points of the castle owner.
Still more dangerous than encountering these enemies in seperate groups.

quote:

A!n you said "If you can ensure the attacker stays within a certain area and you put all your monsters inside that area then you don't have to put traps elsewhere" but most traps I've seen I can get out of with a few seconds of delay at most. Most of the trap setups I see now are Ballistics ringing Gel Walls into a narrow corridor of Spring Traps and then Bombs and the entirety of the Boss Room stacked up to aggro once you get pushed in. It's a dull trap layout that undoubtedly catches some players because otherwise it wouldn't be used, but it has a big flaw. If I glide in past the springboards into the mines and keep running forward or to the side, whichever is clear, I usually take almost no damage while setting off most of the mines. Now my glide is already ticking down it's 5 second cooldown and I've aggroed every monster in the Boss Room. 1 AOE stun or a few seconds of moving in a circle around the pack and my lightning glide ability is back up and I float right back out of the room the same way I came in. Normally monsters are stuck in there at that point, but if you get far enough away (~1 room distance) they start ignoring traps and trickling to you.
There is rooms where you can't circumvent the traps with a single movement skill. You're forced to trigger at least two spring traps manually, which is hard with a gelatinous wall and can be deadly if you have Zeke aggro.

quote:

What I would like to see is 1 and 2 Defense Point monsters having more utility and usefulness. Is there a point to Derps or Chickens besides raise dead fodder for Dr. Skulls?
Derps do high damage for their defense rating, but with AoEs as they are they are pretty useless. I don't even know about chickens. At this point I'm pretty certain they're just joke monsters.

Kylra posted:

Unless you take too long and lose more crowns in the process.
I don't know the time limit on when you start losing crowns again, but I've never hit it so far. On the forums a guy claimed people did his castle upwards of 30 times.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I don't include Dr. Skulls/the dragon in my dungeons because they don't really add anything besides HP bloat/annoyance. Granted i'm only level 12 or so, but I prefer to use Zekes+traps because they either kill you or you kill them in a very short amount of time.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

a!n posted:

There is rooms where you can't circumvent the traps with a single movement skill. You're forced to trigger at least two spring traps manually, which is hard with a gelatinous wall and can be deadly if you have Zeke aggro.

Can you screencap an example? I don't think I've run into any setups with a Gel Wall leading into a Spring hallway that can't be crossed by a well timed Electric Charge.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Mo_Steel posted:

Can you screencap an example? I don't think I've run into any setups with a Gel Wall leading into a Spring hallway that can't be crossed by a well timed Electric Charge.

Try out Inde[SA] - you can friend request him, then practice on his castle.

It was pretty good practice for me, I still can't do it, but I'm also a little low.

Also sorry for being probably half of your battle log inde.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

He's done mine already (although IIRC he didn't win, didn't watch the replays). It is possible to dash through it just barely if you get halfway on the first board before charging I think, that may change once I have upgraded springboards. I'm in the middle of redesigning the castle though so I might end up taking that hall out anyway.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

He's done mine already (although IIRC he didn't win, didn't watch the replays). It is possible to dash through it just barely if you get halfway on the first board before charging I think, that may change once I have upgraded springboards. I'm in the middle of redesigning the castle though so I might end up taking that hall out anyway.

I lost the first one by not spotting out the Cyclops if memory serves, it charge knocked me back into the mines. After that it worked as usual.

e: Ahh, that's the old version. The new one with the Gel is still something you can clear with a single dash if you time it right, and you can still pull back through if needed. I can't take my gear off because Bugs, but I have 30% Control Resistance so I can outrun Ballistic attacks even in Gel if I move in a straight line. I was hoping to test it again without that gear on to see if that impacts the pull options enough or just forces a potion burn each time from the Ballistics.

Here's an example of how to clear that sort of trap setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKAzu_Dt618&hd=1

It shows up goddamn everywhere at this point, so often that I'm actually impressed when people don't use it. It's not a foolproof method for getting through and other factors can make it worse but outside of making a mistake myself I usually don't die to it anymore.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 14, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Here's an example of how to clear that sort of trap setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKAzu_Dt618&hd=1
This is why I have springboard to the side of my minefield to throw people into a second minefield.

As you can see it has already claimed a victim.

E: I'm actually in the middle of trying to make this even harder to get past too.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 14, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Someone manage to survive on top of the mines somehow, so here's version 4 EXTRA FIRE EDITION:

E: And now I added a chicken to the corner to trigger aggro all the cyclops, but I'll test/verify it later.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 14, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Problem with that is you can be sprung into the middle, and then just charge away before the mines go off. They really need to lower the time on those things, since it makes all mine traps pretty much worthless once people figure it out. Oh, and a knight will just tank it, cause gently caress knights forever.

I've been putting silence traps in the middle of my bomb piles, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make them alternate firing.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Bondematt posted:

Problem with that is you can be sprung into the middle, and then just charge away before the mines go off.
They have to have a specific item bonus (+20% control reduction) which you can't craft to be able to charge out in time (or at least do so reliably?) to avoid the firemines after being spring trapped. It's practically a free kill on a lot of people who can't move well enough to back out after triggering the first spring due to the gel wall. There's always a problem with every setup for attackers to exploit. Otherwise, you couldn't validate it. I'm just looking to win first defense against any attacker most of the time, not something foolproof. I just have to rely on everyone being much worse than I am at attacking.

I'm going to try to work on making the rest of the castle capacity a knight's hell. Hopefully I'll have another dozen or two replays to peek at today.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 14, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I don't think I have any control reduction, but I'll check. I can dive off my mines just fine after hitting springboards, and most of the people who ran my castle did too. Upgraded to whatever lvl 29 allows.

It does get the guys who don't bring in any kind of charge, and those who panic, but for the most part people just ignore that setup whenever I try one. The springboards around the sides are hilarious however, when people charge off at an angle and get sprung right back on. It was definitely my best killer, but it still was less than 50% of the attempts getting hit by it, and even less dying.

edit: My entire battlelog is filled with one level 19 knight running my castle and dying. What the hell.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 14, 2014

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It may also only work that way if you hit only 1 spring on the way to the mines. If you hit two springs on the way, you may unstun fast enough. I've been considering testing a shorter hallway so a single spring will always send them to the middle, and if they try to charge through it they also land on a good chunk of mines.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kylra posted:

It may also only work that way if you hit only 1 spring on the way to the mines. If you hit two springs on the way, you may unstun fast enough. I've been considering testing a shorter hallway so a single spring will always send them to the middle, and if they try to charge through it they also land on a good chunk of mines.

I'm trying to think of a way to just have one springboard, but I can't think of a setup where they'll reliably hit it. That seems to be the issue though, as I'm getting tossed off two springs and onto my pile. My other one is double hamster wheels in a hallway leading to one spring, but it has the same issue where you come out of stun basically as soon as you land.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Again, you can't ever make it foolproof anyway, because you have to validate it. You just want to try to make sure no one worse than you can luck through it. Worst/best case you can still singly trip the springs and go through them one at a time and charge at the end.

I have some ideas bubbling, and if I can get them to work with generator placements I'll put them up later.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I see what you mean about crowns now, somebody ran my castle 6 times before he was able to do it, first run he gave me 13 crowns, 2-5th run - nothing obviously - 6th run, which he 2-starred, he took 15 from me.

Overall, I was still at +3 for the day, but I'm torn as to if it's a good thing. It helps YOU if you screw up on a castle with an instant death trap too, and it helps if people aren't persistent or high-crown players die. That guy above was +30 or -13 so he didn't have many crowns. I'm really glad he couldn't beat par because that would have loving hurt.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Anyone else unable to place traps/creatures from your inventory? Seems that bug has gotten so bad that I really can't change anything. Having to restart after placing one kind of trap.

Edit: Every time I verify cache it is finding new broken files :allears:

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 14, 2014

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I was really digging this game, and then some dude ruined it for me. He ran my castle and lost literally 10 times, giving me a whopping 7 crowns. His eleventh time, he three starred it, taking thirty crowns and a chunk of change to boot. If that's the ultimate crown boosting strategy, run the same dungeon over and over again until you memorize it, then it takes the fun out of both halves of the game. The raiding, because it disincentives visiting multiple castles, and the designing, because it is literally impossible to stop someone who wants to get in that badly.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I don't think I run more than 1 in 20 castles more than 3 times. I 2 star most times and I am going up over 100 crowns a night right now. Maybe at some point I'll have to change, but right now I am running about 90% of castles in one shot at level 17. I can run one castle 10 times to get 20 net crowns by three starring, or run 7-9 castles to 2 star and get 50-60ish including losses, plus more resources.

Just keep in mind that each time he runs your castle and doesn't complete, he's not getting the reward for completing a different one. Just relax and let the person have the pleasure of beating the challenge you put in front of them. You'll get the crowns back by attacking someone else later if you're good enough for that crown level anyway. If you can't, that's just how ranking systems go.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 14, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

Anyone else unable to place traps/creatures from your inventory? Seems that bug has gotten so bad that I really can't change anything. Having to restart after placing one kind of trap.

Edit: Every time I verify cache it is finding new broken files :allears:

If you're verifying the cache through Steam you're probably just forcing yourself to constantly re-download files that the Launcher modifies internally. Games that have their own Launcher you shouldn't Steam verify typically (verifying Planetside2 will force you to have to redownload multiple GB worth of patches for example).

e: I'm having the same bug with trap placement, but I managed to narrow it down: If you try to place more than one trap at a time from your Inventory, you'll be unable to place anything else until you restart. I was able to put down a variety of traps by placing one, then right-clicking to remove my selection and then clicking on the trap again. It's a pain, but less of a pain than restarting the client every time is. So if you want to place two Trap Generators you need to place one, right-click on the screen, left-click the generator again in your inventory, place another, etc.

You can still buy and place in multiples from the Summoning Portal, you just can't place in multiples from the Castle Inventory presently.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 15, 2014

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Found a hilarious way to get crowns..

If you can beat the NPC castles early to get into the next district(s) you can attack higher level players and risk 0 crowns for up to 30.

Soooooo many people have lovely castles.

Feels a little exploity though.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
In as Shuka game is pretty fun because I rarely can 3 star castles so if I don't beat them on the first run I'll probably lose more crowns than I gain. I hate logging out with a substantial amount of dough because somebody will eventually beat my castle and take it.

I haven't spent any money, enjoying the mage class. Somedays I'll be in the zone and dodge every zeke's arrow, other days it'll feel like every dash ends in a gelatinous trap or ravenous floor biter and just 2 cleverly placed zekarooni's. Maybe thats the trick, just a trap setup covered by 2 zekes because they'll 1 shot kill if their attack synchronizes with a stun.

Loving some of the clever castle designs, just got owned by a twisting hallway of bitey floor/ballistic/gramaphones covered intermittently by 2 zekes and culminating in a fire traps.

Using dash - death bolt - thunder clap - death grip and just trying to cheese everything with tons of kiting.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shuka posted:

Using dash - death bolt - thunder clap - death grip and just trying to cheese everything with tons of kiting.

I've been using this setup for the last 6 or 7 levels and it is solid as all gently caress. Death Bolt is huge burst damage and a chunk of life restored, Thunderclap is like a year long AoE stun, and Death Grip is fantastic for abusing large packs. Oh boy, a Dr. Skull? Give me all that health back in 2 seconds. The slow on the Death Grip is also really good against any would-be melee attackers like Pete's or the Elite Rams.

Having said that, I'm going to try swapping it around a bit for other spells. Maybe keeping Death Bolt and swapping Death Grip for Fireblast to add some burning damage against large packs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I use Vortex, Fireball, Death Bolt and Dash. Vortex + Fireball is a great combo that lets you finish off many creatures outright. Fireball is also super useful because it does physical damage. The mage can sometimes take a while to kill creatures with high magic resistance. This solves that problem forever.

Anyone found a reason not to use the chain lightning weapon? The ability to hit any unit no matter if something is in front of it is hard to replace.

• Locked thread