Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

I Vampire, Dial H, and ??

Static Shock and OMAC?

EDIT: And the thread got past the first page! :toot:

EDIT2: Too early look at Pfeiffer and Sandoval issue:

Looks really cool, Jason finally got back the featureless helmet, Roy is a genuine genius and Kory changed her wardrobe :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

spacejung posted:

The anime upskirt crap was as ridiculous as it gets, but at least it has a plot that builds to some kind of resolution. How many of the original N52 titles can you say that about?

It had that because it was going to be cancelled and the original authors had time to wrap it up. RM seemed very uneven for me. There were some issues that got the humour right (ie when he was in prison and kept dying to escape) and others that just felt like padding.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And Pak shows that Jason is a great character when handled by a competent writer, the Batman/Superman Annual is fantastic and despite my reservations about Jason being a stand in for Dick it turns that he got a reason to be there (and a really good one I must add) but the best thing is that Pak wrote them like being partners and having mutual trust on each other and not the tired routine of angst and betrayal than lovely writers take.

Also it has Krypto and the art is loving AWESOME.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I read a couple pages before deciding to buy it. A Red Hood/Supergirl crossover sounds really cool.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

I read a couple pages before deciding to buy it. A Red Hood/Supergirl crossover sounds really cool.

Agreed, there's lot of potential there but it needs to be handled by a good writter or it either will be some kind of shipper pandering bullshit or it will made one character uselessso the other gets the spotlight.

I doubt it will happens, but I'd love to see what Pak could do with the Outlaws. The man is one of the best writers on DC right now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Agreed, there's lot of potential there but it needs to be handled by a good writter or it either will be some kind of shipper pandering bullshit or it will made one character uselessso the other gets the spotlight.

I doubt it will happens, but I'd love to see what Pak could do with the Outlaws. The man is one of the best writers on DC right now.
All of Supergirl lately has been shipper pandering bullshit. They were even teasing her/NuLobo. I'm sure when the Red Lantern stuff kicks off they'll tease Supergirl/Guy Gardner or something.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

All of Supergirl lately has been shipper pandering bullshit. They were even teasing her/NuLobo. I'm sure when the Red Lantern stuff kicks off they'll tease Supergirl/Guy Gardner or something.

You got a point there (it was funny how one sided was the thing with NuLobo though) but I think Soule's better than that or at least, he will made it work somehow.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You got a point there (it was funny how one sided was the thing with NuLobo though) but I think Soule's better than that or at least, he will made it work somehow.
If they're going to go the route of Supergirl being a ball of rage and angst, pairing her up with Red Hood for a while wouldn't be the worst thing they could do.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

If they're going to go the route of Supergirl being a ball of rage and angst, pairing her up with Red Hood for a while wouldn't be the worst thing they could do.

Is actually infuriating when the writers hit a block with the characters and turn them into brooding, edgy assholes for no good reason. Soule seems able to use these kind of stunts to move the characters forward, it worked with Rankorr and Guy so I'm hoping it'll work with Kara.

Speaking of Jason and lanterns, I always thought it was a shame that he didn't got involved on Blackest Night it could've been an interesting angle for him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Flameingblack posted:

A Red Hood/Supergirl ongoing, perhaps?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

A Red Hood/Supergirl ongoing, perhaps?
It'd make just as much sense to do a Supergirl/Red Hood arc in Batman/Superman honestly. Supergirl isn't at all the same character pre-52 and doesn't have hardly any of the same friends so why not do something different?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The idea have potential but outside of taking the angle of Superman and/or Batman reacting to the pair I don't see it too diferent to the Red Hood/Starfire dynamic. Well, they could also take the shipping angle but I doubt anyone would be happy with it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

While I guess it gives him a unique weapon instead of just batarangs like the rest of the Bat-family, I just cannot take Jason seriously when he's waving around those loving lightsabers. They're just plain silly.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

While I guess it gives him a unique weapon instead of just batarangs like the rest of the Bat-family, I just cannot take Jason seriously when he's waving around those loving lightsabers. They're just plain silly.

When Lobdell introduce them I thought it was an interesting novelty and it could've worked like Jason's signature weapon but then Tynion made them able to materialize out of thin air and pulling poo poo like this:

I quickly started to hate the loving things.

Pak made a good use of them on the annual (just loving cut-all swords)and Pfeiffer seems to have Jason go back to the guns, with any luck this is the last time we see them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The team is getting action figures later this year :flashfap:

Shame than Roy looks like a loving dork with the backwards cap and Jason's look like a bargain bin Destro, is still better than nothing; though.

I want to add a brief guide for the characters (what to read about them, important things to know) for their pre N52 versions (and expand a little on his current incarnations) but aside of Jason I don't have a clue for Roy and Kory. So if anyone could give a few pointers for them (not gonna lie, a write-up would be better) I'd be really thankful.

EDIT: Regarding Jason's lightsabers? They're editorial mandated:

Jae Lee about the Annual cover posted:

Originally, I had Red Hood unloading his guns onto an unflinching Supergirl, who's holding him up by the neck, just like in the final image, but then I was notified he now has flaming swords.

:doh:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 10, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair to Jason and DC, shooting a Super is pretty dumb. At least they're magical flaming swords iirc

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

First Bass posted:

To be fair to Jason and DC, shooting a Super is pretty dumb. At least they're magical flaming swords iirc

Now than you mention it, Supergirl should be weak to magic isn't she? With that in mind Jason's swords make a lot more of sense, I'm just butthurt over Tynion's 'chosen one' bullshit I guess.
The swords are actually kind of cool since are something so odd than really made Jason stand out within the batclan (and is amusing hiw they became his signature weapon in just a few months)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And Pak shows that Jason is a great character when handled by a competent writer, the Batman/Superman Annual is fantastic and despite my reservations about Jason being a stand in for Dick it turns that he got a reason to be there (and a really good one I must add) but the best thing is that Pak wrote them like being partners and having mutual trust on each other and not the tired routine of angst and betrayal than lovely writers take.

Also it has Krypto and the art is loving AWESOME.

Did they bring back WarWorld?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

Did they bring back WarWorld?

They did but now is more like a real planet with government, factions and the like instead of a 'Death Star' kind of thing (or maybe is the original depiction I'm only familiar with the YJ's depiction)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They did but now is more like a real planet with government, factions and the like instead of a 'Death Star' kind of thing (or maybe is the original depiction I'm only familiar with the YJ's depiction)

You should read Panic In The Sky. Its 90s as gently caress but still pretty rad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

You should read Panic In The Sky. Its 90s as gently caress but still pretty rad.

I did it, pretty cool story. Shame than nobody used Warworld in such a great way after it.

On other news, June's solicits are out and Lobdell is back in RHATO. I have mixed feelings on this:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #32
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by RAFA SANDOVAL
Cover by ED BENES
DC Collectibles Bombshells variant cover by ANT LUCIA
On sale JUNE 18 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will arrive in stores with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
After stopping a nuclear explosion, Red Hood and the Outlaws find themselves in the crosshairs of S.H.A.D.E.!

http://www.newsarama.com/20589-dc-june-2014-solicits-the-new-52-part-1.html

At least Sandoval is a really good artist and going by 29's preview it really fits the book.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Thread tag :laffo:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Was Taters posted:

Thread tag :laffo:

What are you talking abo..oh.

When Rich is right, he is right :v:

Your Red Hood and the Outlaws cover rage may begin now DC solicitations for June 2014

I do think you all are exaggerating since: for a Benes piece it looks cool and Kory's suit is closer to her pre-N52 version.

EDIT:

I just went to Tumblr and is going loving NUCLEAR with the news :laffo:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 17, 2014

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

D_T, I generally don't hate your posts and try not to think of you as completely ignorant, but why shouldn't people be upset? The WW cover is a play on Rosie the Riveter; the Catwoman cover has artistic merit and is attractive, at a minimum. You can only say HA HA IT'S A 90s PINUP, CLEARLY, TUMBLR FEMINISTS HA HA up to a certain point before you reveal your own desperation to defend what is actually, really, almost inarguably a piece of art that isn't just exploitative, it's poorly done.

Having a character named Starfire pose like it's too drat hot out. Are you nuts?

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
I never thought I'd be happy to have Lobdell back on writing for any kind of ongoing comic I'm reading, but here we are.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Swillkitsch posted:

D_T, I generally don't hate your posts and try not to think of you as completely ignorant, but why shouldn't people be upset? The WW cover is a play on Rosie the Riveter; the Catwoman cover has artistic merit and is attractive, at a minimum. You can only say HA HA IT'S A 90s PINUP, CLEARLY, TUMBLR FEMINISTS HA HA up to a certain point before you reveal your own desperation to defend what is actually, really, almost inarguably a piece of art that isn't just exploitative, it's poorly done.

Having a character named Starfire pose like it's too drat hot out. Are you nuts?

That is pretty much a Maxim cover and I don't see people pulling out the pitchforks everytime an issue is published. And actually I'd found the whole Bombshell's thing a little more questionable sinc by definition, the concept refers to a 'extremelly sexually attractive woman' something than should be shunned under modern conceptions, I believe than the 'grandfather clause' doesn't really apply here since another older concepts stirred a lot of controversy despite their cultural importance (the whole 'Memin Pinguin' poststamps fiasco comes to mind). Personally, I don't mind the bombshells cover (or any other variant theme actually) since they're only novelties.

And I'm not desperate, I'm upset by how this so-called feminist on tumblr are just riding the coat-tails to show how better people they're, the posts only reference the issue 1's controversy, I can understand they don't wanting to know anything about Lobdell's work after that but if they were really invested on Starfire character they would glance Tynion's work if only to keep pointing how utterly mishandled is she but there's no mention of Tynion anywhere (or Pfeiffer for what is worth).

One gets the impression than RHATO exists on a limbo where only issues 1 and 32 are being published and well, I don't think than you can judge anything with so poor foundations.

I mentionted on the DC thread, is really sad if DC is doing this intentionally to get sales since the book could get them on its own merits.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NoMoneyDown posted:

I never thought I'd be happy to have Lobdell back on writing for any kind of ongoing comic I'm reading, but here we are.

I have mixed feelings since I have really big expectations of Pfeiffer's arc and I think than Lobdell already say anything he wanted to say on the characters and I want a new take. Of course, Pfeiffer could delive an even bigger turd than Tynion and Lobdell could pick up the plot of Jason's sister so is kind of a catch-22. We'll see on Wednesday.

Edit: gently caress, I wanted to edit not double post.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And I'm not desperate, I'm upset by how this so-called feminist on tumblr are just riding the coat-tails to show how better people they're, the posts only reference the issue 1's controversy, I can understand they don't wanting to know anything about Lobdell's work after that but if they were really invested on Starfire character they would glance Tynion's work if only to keep pointing how utterly mishandled is she but there's no mention of Tynion anywhere (or Pfeiffer for what is worth).

I agree, when we realize a character is being badly and offensively written we should buy every possible issue of the offensive book, so we can exactly chart who is the greatest shitbag on the trash boat.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

One gets the impression than RHATO exists on a limbo where only issues 1 and 32 are being published and well, I don't think than you can judge anything with so poor foundations.

I mentionted on the DC thread, is really sad if DC is doing this intentionally to get sales since the book could get them on its own merits.

DC are doing it because there are dumb people who buy books based on how "sexy" the girl looks on the cover not for any controversy. And it's not peoples fault if DC constantly market the book with sexist material, have a writer who has sexually harassed women at cons and parade it with terrible art and have judged it "poorly" because of that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

I agree, when we realize a character is being badly and offensively written we should buy every possible issue of the offensive book, so we can exactly chart who is the greatest shitbag on the trash boat.

Again my poor writing gave the wrong idea, I wasn't saying than it was necessary to buy every single issue to give a legitimate crticism (it would be the ideal of course and let's be honest, isn't like the people over Tumblr wouldn't be able to :filez: the books, therefore not giving a single dime to DC) only than if you're talking so high an mighty over the theme the minimum courtesy would be to have more of passing knowledge on the theme, in this case, acknowledging Tynion's and Pfeiffer work it would been enough.

^EDIT: Maybe I'm being naive but under that logic it wouldn't been expected to see more reaction out of Tynion's run? I bet there were people who liked the characters and was turned off by Lobdell but once he was out, they could've picked the book with a new writer if only for sheer curiosity or bile fascination.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 18, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Do you really? How much respect do you have to give to the offender before it's fair?

Also, yes, the Tumblr crowd could steal all the bad books in the world. They could also do other things with their time than constantly grub through something they find offensive and possibly hurtful.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

Do you really? How much respect do you have to give to the offender before it's fair?

Also, yes, the Tumblr crowd could steal all the bad books in the world. They could also do other things with their time than constantly grub through something they find offensive and possibly hurtful.

Respect?

I was under the impression than the basic requeriment for a real discussion is to be knowledgeable of the theme. For example, I don't like Snyder work on Batman or Slott's on Spiderman but I want to discuss the stories so I read their books. If I were to find them so awful like some people seems to find Lobdell's work then I wouldn't even bother to acknowledge their existance, the 'if you don't have anything positive to say, better don't say anything' notion.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The one saving grace to the cover is that is giving off some heavy 1980's b-action movie vibes. Besides that, meh.

Actually, on a more technical level, ignoring what the people are wearing and such, it is actually a good cover because of the vibes it is giving. You have a fast car. Beautiful woman, lush sunset colours, pam trees, men with guns. This is a poster for some stupid brainless action movie that takes place in Miami and stars a young Don Johnson. So in that regard, good job comic book cover.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Respect?

I was under the impression than the basic requeriment for a real discussion is to be knowledgeable of the theme. For example, I don't like Snyder work on Batman or Slott's on Spiderman but I want to discuss the stories so I read their books. If I were to find them so awful like some people seems to find Lobdell's work then I wouldn't even bother to acknowledge their existance, the 'if you don't have anything positive to say, better don't say anything' notion.

Don't say anything works if you're discussing a dick coworker or jackass at a party, not so much when you're addressing media. Not saying anything means things are going to keep going that way, which is fine when it's a single person but lethal when discussing harmful trends in things. BSS in general has a bit of a problem with hate buying books, but that's a different subject I think.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

Don't say anything works if you're discussing a dick coworker or jackass at a party, not so much when you're addressing media. Not saying anything means things are going to keep going that way, which is fine when it's a single person but lethal when discussing harmful trends in things. BSS in general has a bit of a problem with hate buying books, but that's a different subject I think.

I know what are you talking about, however, regarding media trends I have the logic than if is really harmful it will die on its own and quickly forgotten since eventually everything falls under its own weight (and I'd have a MASSIVE ulcer were to throw a fit everytime I found anything I don't think is proper or like it)

(Ironically, it happened on RHATO with Tynion)

And I don't really think is a strong trend on the west since I see less cheesecake everywhere than before, well, except on Japanese media but that's a completly different beast.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I know what are you talking about, however, regarding media trends I have the logic than if is really harmful it will die on its own and quickly forgotten since eventually everything falls under its own weight...

That is unfortunately not the case. Plenty of deplorable media trends and practices are continually upheld by a status quo power structure that has no incentive to change them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That is unfortunately not the case. Plenty of deplorable media trends and practices are continually upheld by a status quo power structure that has no incentive to change them.

Things have been changing though, a few years back and nobody could've expected a black spiderman, probably not in the scope we would like but baby steps. There's a lot of really ingrained notions on our culture than need to change.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you think hateful trends in anything die off naturally you are discounting a lot of hard work done by a lot of people to make things better for everyone.

I don't want to seem like I'm ragging on you or anything but the process of scouring hurtful detritus from culture is something that's been worked on longer than we've been alive and will continue long after we're worm food, and every step of that process is a struggle.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

If you think hateful trends in anything die off naturally you are discounting a lot of hard work done by a lot of people to make things better for everyone.

I don't want to seem like I'm ragging on you or anything but the process of scouring hurtful detritus from culture is something that's been worked on longer than we've been alive and will continue long after we're worm food, and every step of that process is a struggle.

It depends on the trend obviously but for anything related to a person as individual I think than the better course of action is to stop giving a gently caress about it and treat everyone just as you would want to be treated.

In the case of these 'sexism' I think than the best is taking like it is, just something ficticious and totally irrelevant to how the people really are. Actually, that applies to any stereotipe, I mean, not for being mexican I spent all my time lazing out under a cactus. :mexico:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
How nice, to have the luxury of not giving a gently caress.

• Locked thread