Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And it turns out than Pfeifer will only do three issues for Red Hood

http://www.newsarama.com/20673-will-pfeifer-promises-to-bring-fun-to-dc-s-red-hood.html

Giving how pumped he was talking about future storylines on CBR's interview I think is safe to assume he was told he'd be the new writer for the book.

That was a really lovely move on editorial's part but what else is new? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And now Lobdell gives an interview about his return to Red Hood

http://www.newsarama.com/20696-scott-lobdell-on-red-hood-return-startling-starfire-story.html

Lobdell posted:

Nrama: We might feel like we already know what your Red Hood is like, but will there be any changes in your approach now?

Lobdell: Part of the thing I always loved about Red Hood and the Outlaws was that from page one it defied expectations. It zigged when everyone was expecting it to zag.

Instead of Jason shooting up Crime Alley, we learned his post-Batman training was more subversive than we realized.

While a vocal minority of readers were more than happy to read another 30 years worth of Kori wailing over Dick Grayson, readers met a woman who was firmly in charge of her sexual agency.

And while Roy had been defined more than once by his moments of weakness through his addiction to alcohol, we met an Arsenal that had never fallen off the wagon, in part because of the world's most unexpected AA sponsor.

Nrama: Since the day you first launched the title, how have the three main characters evolved? We saw Jason, in particular, go through so much during "Death of the Family," but they've also been through a lot since you left the title. How would you describe each of them now, compared to who they were when we first met them in the New 52?

- Kori: I think when we first met Kori the New 52 she was still comfortable in the "I'm not from around here" role. Everything about her new relationships with these two was brand new. As time has gone by and we realize what a brilliant military strategist Kori is, we realize that she's always five or six paces ahead of the two of them. So I think initially there was a lot of curiosity there on her part -- and now there is more caution: they are simply not as smart as she is and so she has to be gentle with both Jason and Roy.

- Roy: When we met Roy, he was more than happy playing Tonto to Jason's Lone Ranger -- he felt more comfortable being comic relief because, well, he's a fun guy and he prefers being happy to being glum or needy. But as time has gone on and his relationship with Kori has developed, he's had to accept the fact that the three of them are equals. Considering how badly things went the last time he tried to form an actual partnership with someone (Oliver Queen) you can appreciate what a challenge this has been for him, and how much Jason and Kori mean to him for Roy to be trying at all.

- Jason: Jason has kind of lacked for healthy relationships his entire life. From his drug peddling dad and his addict mom and letter his — let's be honest — myopic father figure Bruce... its not like he's had a lot of experience actually interacting with people who genuinely like him. I think that was what was most surprising to Jason when he first started bonding with Kori and Roy — that they accepted him warts and all, his sense of humor, his need for space that was always competing with a need for intimacy.

It is hard to have a genuine relationship with someone if you are spending all your time and energy on someone else. Jason has spent a lot of time since his resurrection focused on his relationship with Bruce. Now that that has been put to bed and they have come to terms with who they are to each other, I think we're going to see him getting even closer to his Outlaw buddies. He has more room in his heart now.

Nrama: In your last issue of Red Hood, you showed a reconciliation between Bruce and Jason. Does that open the door for the Outlaws to work more with the Bat-family?

Lobdell: I hope so, though keep in mind that while Bruce may forgive Jason, that doesn't mean the rest of the clan is racing to embrace him once again. We'll just have to see!

This owns

Lobdell posted:

Nrama: Will the title tie into what's happened with Forever Evil, or what's coming in Batman Eternal or Futures End?

Lobdell: Hmmm. In a way, I kind of hope not. As much as I love playing in a bigger world whenever possible — painting on a larger canvas — Scott Snyder is always counseling me to stay out of other books and just focus on the title I'm writing at the time.

So my plan right now is to keep Red Hood and the Outlaws in its own 'verse. So we'll see!

That said, there is a really painfully super dark Future's End story I'm writing that focuses almost exclusively on Red Hood — and we'll see how much Kori and Roy have balanced him out when they aren't around any more.

Lobdell said. "Bob Harras recently texted me out of the blue with a suggestion about Starfire that was so startling that I laughed and thought, 'Hey, if I'm surprised, then I can only imagine how much fun the readers will have!'"

This on the other hand sounds like a MASSIVE trainwreck (specially if the rumors I've heard about it are true) :(

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Scott "Sexual Harasser" Lobdell posted:

...While a vocal minority of readers were more than happy to read another 30 years worth of Kori wailing over Dick Grayson, readers met a woman who was firmly in charge of her sexual agency...

Ahahahahahahaha.

gently caress you Lobdell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

quote:

And while Roy had been defined more than once by his moments of weakness through his addiction to alcohol, we met an Arsenal that had never fallen off the wagon, in part because of the world's most unexpected AA sponsor.

I am pretty sure alcohol was not his weapon of choice. If only he had a world famous cover to look at.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure alcohol was not his weapon of choice. If only he had a world famous cover to look at.

I'll admit than I found that claim weird as well but I guess DC just wants to sweep Junkie Roy under the rug.

Really ironic since I heard rumors about editorial wanting to make Jason a junkie now :suicide:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Um. Was I reading the same comic? I borrowed them from the library and - Starfire felt more like THE GIRLFRIEND or Sexually Liberated Gal*. I mean, I don't know. Maybe I'm too picky or just tired of how a lot of female characters are handled, but Starfire didn't really feel like what he's saying. Maybe I misread it.

*Whose Sexual Liberation Conforms to What Most Guys Would Like.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Aerofallosov posted:

Um. Was I reading the same comic? I borrowed them from the library and - Starfire felt more like THE GIRLFRIEND or Sexually Liberated Gal*. I mean, I don't know. Maybe I'm too picky or just tired of how a lot of female characters are handled, but Starfire didn't really feel like what he's saying. Maybe I misread it.

Loebdell, shockingly enough, is talking out his rear end to diminish criticism of his work. Far greater artists have done so, but few so bald-faced in their bullshit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aerofallosov posted:

Single issues or the TPB? The plot is clearer on the trade.
I reread the first trade and I found funny how emasculated Roy comes off (always pinning for Kory or trying to get Jason's attention) :v:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Single issues or the TPB? The plot is clearer on the trade.
I reread the first trade and I found funny how emasculated Roy comes off (always pinning for Kory or trying to get Jason's attention) :v:

I just read the trade and I really felt the dialogue was too inconsistent for you to really draw any conclusions from. Like the only thing that seemed to be constant was the running bit where everyone but Kori was a little weirded out by her sexual openness.

The plot was also really scatter shot. With no real recap and very little backstory provided I couldn't figure out what the gently caress was going on between the All Caste and the Untitled.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

I just read the trade and I really felt the dialogue was too inconsistent for you to really draw any conclusions from. Like the only thing that seemed to be constant was the running bit where everyone but Kori was a little weirded out by her sexual openness.

The plot was also really scatter shot. With no real recap and very little backstory provided I couldn't figure out what the gently caress was going on between the All Caste and the Untitled.

Yeah that's one of Lobdell's faults, he mades things as it he goes leaving a lot loose ends. The All-caste and the Untitled were made on the fly just to give Jason a justification on his skills on such a short span of time, the All-caste were defined at least: mystical killer monks with a yoda as leader, the untitled... I have no idea on what was their deal either but I hope it was better than Tynion's 'guild of magical assholes #3'

I found interesting the thing about Kory's sexual openness, would you mind to elaborate on that? Other than her relationship with Roy and some quios on his part I don't remember anything like that (unless you're speaking of Crux)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I found interesting the thing about Kory's sexual openness, would you mind to elaborate on that? Other than her relationship with Roy and some quios on his part I don't remember anything like that (unless you're speaking of Crux)

So Jason finds out/walks in on Roy and Kory. Roy freaks out but Jason's all like gently caress yeah lets go do crimes/adventures or whatever. There's a few times where Roy apologizes but Jason says something along the lines "she's not my girlfriend not a big deal" But then when they stop in Hong Kong(how the gently caress are they getting around?) Roy wants to see Jason's hideout and he's like "no dude, you've already soiled one pair of sheets" or whatever. Meanwhile Kory is, uh, doing Kory things? Her character seems to alternate from houseplant with tits to scared girl to privileged princess on the writer's whim.

I don't want to read it again or I'd supply better references.

coconono fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 31, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

So Jason finds out/walks in on Roy and Kory. Roy freaks out but Jason's all like gently caress yeah lets go do crimes/adventures or whatever. There's a few times where Roy apologizes but Jason says something along the lines "she's not my girlfriend not a big deal" But then when they stop in Hong Kong(how the gently caress are they getting around?) Roy wants to see Jason's hideout and he's like "no dude, you've already soiled one pair of sheets" or whatever. Meanwhile Kory is, uh, doing Kory things? Her character seems to alternate from houseplant with tits to scared girl to privileged princess on the writer's whim.

I don't want to read it again or I'd supply better references.

Oh you're talking about issue 1 and 2, first is true than the timeline isn't that all clear but that was lazy editors. The sequence is like this:

*They save Roy and spend three days on the islan when Jason is contacted by Essence and told about the All-caste. When this is happening Roy and Kory are in the infamous scene, first thing in the morning Jason goes or his gear and founds Roy and Kory.

*Roy catch up with Jason and the both of them catch a plane to Hong Kong where Jason gets Isabel's number while Kory flies ahead to procure transport for them on Hong Kong.

*On the limo than Kory's got is when Roy wants to talk about whatever happened and is shut by Jason and Kory. They arrive at the clube where Jason set up his safe house and is when he says the sheets comment at Roy just to be a smartass. Here's also when Jason hurts Suzie Zu and her goons

*We cut to a few hours later when Jason and Roy are on a chopper to get at the All-Caste, Kory flies by her own but catch with them in time to give Roy a lift. Jason found the massacre and after paying his respects finally accepts Roy and Kory as a team.

About your other points, Roy only brings the issue with Jason two times, one on the plane and on the limo and Kory while sometimes it stays on the background never acts like a scared girl, bails the guys a few times (not counting the first issue, one on issue 3, another on issue 5 and the last one on issue 7) and I think she only comes off like a priviliged princess on her monologues.

But yes, Lobdell really needs a better editor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh you're talking about issue 1 and 2, first is true than the timeline isn't that all clear but that was lazy editors. The sequence is like this:

*They save Roy and spend three days on the islan when Jason is contacted by Essence and told about the All-caste. When this is happening Roy and Kory are in the infamous scene, first thing in the morning Jason goes or his gear and founds Roy and Kory.

*Roy catch up with Jason and the both of them catch a plane to Hong Kong where Jason gets Isabel's number while Kory flies ahead to procure transport for them on Hong Kong.

*On the limo than Kory's got is when Roy wants to talk about whatever happened and is shut by Jason and Kory. They arrive at the clube where Jason set up his safe house and is when he says the sheets comment at Roy just to be a smartass. Here's also when Jason hurts Suzie Zu and her goons

*We cut to a few hours later when Jason and Roy are on a chopper to get at the All-Caste, Kory flies by her own but catch with them in time to give Roy a lift. Jason found the massacre and after paying his respects finally accepts Roy and Kory as a team.

About your other points, Roy only brings the issue with Jason two times, one on the plane and on the limo and Kory while sometimes it stays on the background never acts like a scared girl, bails the guys a few times (not counting the first issue, one on issue 3, another on issue 5 and the last one on issue 7) and I think she only comes off like a priviliged princess on her monologues.

But yes, Lobdell really needs a better editor.

Yes the editor makes it so the writing is unable to show the correct passage of time. If only he has been doing this for over 20 years.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes the editor makes it so the writing is unable to show the correct passage of time. If only he has been doing this for over 20 years.

Yeah you basically described the editors job. Make sure everything works.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah you basically described the editors job. Make sure everything works.

I would see that as more of the writers job. They would be the one who writes the thing that happens.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm short on time right now but later I'll put the pics about the editorial problems with the first two issues of RHATO but in the meantime, I tell you which were:

-On the first issue there's a caption box saying that is three weeks after Roy rescue and then on issue two Roy says than they ahve been together for three days and already are a well-oiled team.

-The time sequence between Jason leavin the island and issue's 1 cliffhanger made sense but the way is told mades somewhat hard to follow

-There's a few typos and words repeated here and there.

All of that is an Editor's responsability.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys seem to be unaware that "super-star" writers don't get edited. Yes, Lobdell still qualifies.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I thought the entire point of Lobdell is that he's just an editorial drone and does whatever he's told and that's why he was on as many titles as he was.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I thought the entire point of Lobdell is that he's just an editorial drone and does whatever he's told and that's why he was on as many titles as he was.
It depends on whether he's getting praise or riffed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ok I finally, got the pics about editorial goof ups on the first two issues of RHATO:

A minor one but is distracting and that kind of thing repeated on other issues as well. I don't have the TPB with me right now to be sure but I THINK it wasn't fixed.

The caption at the beginning of the page says 'three weeks ago' got it? then issue 2 have this:

:psyduck:

Keep in mind than according to the captions Roy says these a few hours after the previous image and the wasn't fixed on the trade (oddly enough, they bothered to change a line on issue 4 to avoid pinpointing Jason's time with Bruce).

Despite all of Lobdell's faults is the fact than he can deliver scenes like this than I loved his run:

:unsmith:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I think my heart just melted a little. :3:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

First Bass posted:

I think my heart just melted a little. :3:

Yeah that's generally what happens when you play directly to fans.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Was Taters posted:

Yeah that's generally what happens when you play directly to fans.

Not completly true since a lot of the 'fans' want crazy rear end in a top hat Jason and no reconciliation with Bruce (why?)
And that scene is really bittersweet, the team needs to enter a mystical dimension but to do so they need to 'pawn' their most precious memory.
The guardian sees through them, Kory's when she stood by herself for the first time, Roy's when Croc talked him out of suicide and this is Jason's. When they return Roy and Kory claim theirs but Jason doesn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That post Death of the Family issue where Bruce told Jason it was time to come home tugged on every single string of my heart.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

That post Death of the Family issue where Bruce told Jason it was time to come home tugged on every single string of my heart.

:unsmith:

Indeed, that was the best issue of the whole series. I'm sure than with a decent editor Lobdell could keep that quality always.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
DC really is playing switcheroo with its creators,while Lobdell goes back to RHATO Pfeiffer will move to Teen Titans with Rocafort on art duties

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tim Seeley posted:

Seeley: I really liked the way we did this. Everyone is writing Batman because obviously, he's Batman. But beyond that, everyone gets to be the "lead" on a different set of characters and see them through to the end. In my case, I get to be the lead on this Batwoman/Batgirl/Red Hood storyline, which is an action adventure story that weaves throughout, with some espionage and worldwide adventure hopping stuff. And because we're allowed to weave in characters we want to play with, I kept with my whole "Monsters and Dames" idea and picked up the Catwoman story, since she's a character I like, and then, of course, I stuck Killer Croc in there.

We get to play the lead on those stories while saying to the other writers, "What do you need to set up your story?" So James will call me and say, "Can you set up this Harper and Jason story?" and I say "No problem. Here's two pages you can follow up on." We're all weaving our stories into the larger whole while working together to follow up on each others' storylines.

It's really all about where we want to take the individual relationships. I'm really excited about setting up Jason Todd/Red Hood and Batgirl. I'm explaining what their history is now. Jason is this anti-Robin who's quick to pull out a gun and shoot somebody in the face. Batgirl is obviously very moral, the rock of the Bat Family. You put them together, and you can make people care about them amidst this great adventure. That's my favorite thing about it, and my Catwoman story functions in much the same way. How is she involved in this world, or what about her keeps her in this story as both an ally and a villain?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52049

Tim Seeley writing Jason on Eternal, neat I guess?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Issue 30 preview

Weird that they changed the cover.

Solicited:

Actual:

This a trend for the book, oddly enough.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't know if it was consequence of Lobdell's return or what but this issue felt really rushed and kind of disconnected, at sometimes it felt like Pfeifer chew more that he could bite and the art was all over the place. It was enjoyable but it was a step down from the previous one.

Kory keeps being a badass and is Classic Lobo so there's that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #33
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by R.B. SILVA
Cover by ED BENES
On sale JULY 16 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
As more of Starfire’s life after her captivity as a slave is revealed, Red Hood and Arsenal stand between their alien teammate and one of the most wanted men in the galaxy.

More Kory background and space adventures... yay :geno:

Great cover though (even if Roy doesn't look like himself :v:)

I'm really worried about Sandoval steping down from art since the book won't survive lacking a permament penciller AGAIN :(

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Found this FANTASTIC fanart telling Jason's PreN52 story on tumblr:

The presentation is really interesting and the art is serviceable, the whole thing is 31 pictures long so here's a handy link to an Album compilling them all:

http://imgur.com/a/b4SQY

And here's a link to the artist's tumblr:

http://jaybru1.tumblr.com/

I'd love to see something like this for N52 Jason :allears:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The presentation is really interesting and the art is serviceable, the whole thing is 31 pictures long so here's a handy link to an Album compilling them all:

that's pretty swank! They look like animation cells.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

that's pretty swank! They look like animation cells.

Glad you like it!

Issue 31 preview

Pfeifer's final issue on the title, so weird to see OG Lobo being a legitimate threat and cunning villian insted the goofy badass seen everywhere. And you gotta love PopMatters intro :v:

EDIT: And the solicits hit

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #34
Written by SCOT LOBDELL
Art by RAFA SANDOVAL
Cover by KEN LASHLEY
On sale AUGUST 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
The Outlaws deal with the fallout from Kori’s past and learn that a top-secret villain has returned to make things much, much worse for them!

Great cover, it does seems like DC is making Outer Space Jason turf. I'm intrigued by the choice and Jason gets his turn on Secret Origin 5

SECRET ORIGINS #5
Written by MARV WOLFMAN, SCOTT LOBDELL and JEFF PARKER
Art by ANDRE COELHO, PAULO SIQUEIRA and ALVARO MARTINEZ and RAUL FERNANDEZ
Cover by LEE BERMEJO
On sale AUGUST 27 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
The latest explosive origins from DC Comics – The New 52 include Cyborg by Marv Wolfman and André Coelho; Red Hood by Scott Lobdell and Paulo Siqueira; and Mera by Jeff Parker and the art team of Alvaro Martinez and Raul Fernandez.

(Interesting that they got Marv Wolfman himself to pen Cyborg's origin)

Along his confirmed appearance on Eternal, August will be a great month for Jason's fans (IE, Me :v:)

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 19, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pfeifer's last issue was weird. He set this EPIC battle and both Kory and Jason got chumped and everything comes down to Roy Deus Ex Machina'd (quite literally) his way to victory and random NuLobo cameo put at the end for reasons.

I'd like to think that Pfeifer was a solid writer but truth is, his arc in here had some odd plot choices and handwaves to work add the change in directions (despite all things pointing at Lobdell's return set in stone for months) and this arc felt fun and action packed but with more holes than a swiss cheese. Still miles better than Tynion's bullshit of course.

Hope Lobdell can work his magic again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
September's cover:

And solicit:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS: FUTURES END #1
Writer: Scott Lobdell
Penciller: Scott Kolins
Inker: Scott Kolins
Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli

Red Hood rides solo in the future as he reveals hints to how the Outlaws and his partners Starfire and Arsenal parted ways and how that lead to Jason Todd’s new mission of retribution and brutal justice.

Is gonna be depressing :smith:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
You go Roy, you shoot that little shithead.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Kory's origin was pretty drat good, Lobdell managed to weave a solid tale that takes into account everything showed up so far in the N52 while at the same time tying some loose ends and respecting the core of Kory's old origin.

He also sets a plot hook that if is what I'm thinking is gonna stir quite the controversy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The artist added a few more completing the story

:allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If this first interaction between Jason and Bruce is gonna set the tone of Jason role on Eternal, I'm out. We're back to the Jason's defining trait is being the angry member of the batfamily. the bit about Jason's last time on the mansion being him breaking in messing up with the security made me cringe, terrible all around. Gonna give Seeley's a shot to made me change my mind but I'm not too hopeful.

Is gonna be good for those who want rear end in a top hat Jason back I guess. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Preview for issue 32

It looks pretty drat good

Look at that art and that dialogue :allears:

So good to have Lobdell back.

Oh and, this thread passed the 10000 views! :toot:

• Locked thread