Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I've read every issue of RHatO because a buddy of mine gets them so I don't have to pay for them.

It is, in my opinion, not a great book. It could be. It has ideas and concepts that want to be awesome. It has potential. But the execution has been terrible since day one and the character designs - yes, I'm specifically thinking of Starfire here - have not helped.

That said... it does have that potential, and Dark_Tzitzimine, you are awesome for being willing to stand up to the prevailing sentiment of BSS and say "I don't give a poo poo what you say, I like this book and I will tell you all why." So good on you.

I still think you're crazy, but hey. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I totally agree, the book is a great time waster but it could be so much more. Lobdell didn't wrote the best stories but it had such a great grasp on the characters than it made for his shortcomings mainly, than he would introduce neat concepts than were abandoned (like giving a sister to Jason). Hopefully Pfeiffer will use the full potential of the book.
I have to ask, you happen to have something positive to say about Tynion's work?

See, I... don't agree that Lobdell had such a great grasp on the characters. :)

Given the setup of the book, of course... how could he? In the New52 relaunch no one had a great take on any characters because, for the most part, those characters were still largely undefined; it's hard for me to say Lobdell wrote a great Roy, for instance, when this particular Roy Harper was still someone I was getting to know - which, for someone who quite liked Roy Harper pre-reboot, was something of a struggle at times, I admit. And I really and truly despised his take on Starfire, but that's a big ol' can of worms that I'm sure we'll be seeing many, many times in this thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

As for Tynion, I genuinely think he did fairly well given the book he came on to. Lobdell created all these faintly gonzo things like the All-Caste and Ducra and whatnot, but they were so amorphous and unexplainable that when Tynion came on the book, he had to try and do something with them - the All-Caste being baked so heavily into Jason's new backstory that ignoring them would be pretty well impossible - and did the best he could with flawed material.

I've sometimes thought, reading your screeds about Tynion, that you're less upset about the book you got and more upset that you didn't get the book you hoped you were going to get; being less emotionally invested in Lobdell's run, I didn't have that issue. Sure, there was a lot of stuff I thought was pretty dumb, but you can't build a good house on a foundation made of dogshit.

Basically, I don't mind the book's existence; it's not so horrible as to constitute a crime against comics or anything. And it could be really fun... but thus far it's just... eh. It's there. It's not great, it's not the worst, it is what it is. I have a hard time getting excited about it, even though I should be excited about a Roy Harper that doesn't have a dead kid, a heroin addiction, a prosthetic arm, and a tendency to beat up muggers with the corpse of a cat. It's just kinda there.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Soonmot posted:

OMG, Resurrection Man. You want to talk about distractionaly ridiculous cheesecake, the end of Resurrection man takes the cake. Catwoman, Starfire, Voodoo, yeah these were eyerollers epsecially taken to the degree they were. But it wasn't surprising, disappointing, sure, but not surprising.

The appearance of the Body Doubles in RM, complete with panty shots and skimpy torn outfits couple with a "sexy" attitude just destroyed the tone the book was going for. As much poo poo as we all, rightly, gave Red Hood for what it did to Starfire, I think RM got off really easy.

I hated hated hated New52 Resurrection Man because the pre-New52 Resurrection Man had been one of my favorite books and the new version simply had no time for subtlety or nuance. It was not very good. :(

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine, I think you might need to stop conflating "I am not bothered by this problem" with "there is no problem."

• Locked thread