Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welcome to the Red Hood & the Outlaws thread!

This series came into existence as part of the N52 reboot at DC comics, and aside from being unexpected, it had one of the most controversial first issues that I've seen in recent memory, but more on that later. Let's meet our characters:

Jason Todd 'The Red Hood'

Mainly known for being Dick Grayson's replacement as Robin, and the dumb-rear end who got himself killed by the Joker in the 80's. Thanks to some continuity-altering bullshit, he was brought back from the dead in 2005 and took over the Joker's former identity becoming sort of an antihero, a constant thorn in Batman's side and an all-around psycho without direction for a few years. The reboot finally gave him a place in the DCU and made him a more heroic character by sticking him leading a team and giving him friends for the first time (amusingly, he was the Robin most benefited by the reboot).

Roy Harper 'Arsenal'

Green Arrow's former protégé. Famous for being a recovering addict, father, and beating people with dead cats. The N52 made him younger, erased any kind of family and turned him into a recovering alcoholic; pretty much a new character with the same name and some shared back-story with the old version. He's a genius at designing any kind of tech and has a knack for turning anything he gets his hands on into weapons. Thanks to some crippling self-esteem issues he chose to hide it all by acting like a clown most of the time. He's the heart of the team and is in a relationship with Starfire.

Koriand'r 'Starfire'

The team's ace in the hole: An alien princess who was sold into slavery by her sister to save their planet and became bitter and cynical due to that 'justified' betrayal. After claiming back her freedom, and a brief stint as commander of a warship, she came to Earth where she met Dick Grayson and formed a short-lived 'team' with him and other teen heroes. After a messy breakup with Dick she took refuge on a deserted island, stranded from mankind until fate crossed her path with Jason's.

The most divisive character in the book by a country-mile, she has little in common with previous depictions of the character, aside from a shared back-story (note a trend here?) and was oddly characterizated on the first issue.

The book was penned by Scott Lobdell for 19 issues, with redemption, trust, and moving forward as the core themes of the plot, while a light-hearted approach allowed for a 'buddy cop movie' kind of feeling. The book was also the best team-focused book back then (not than that was a hard task to accomplish since Teen Titans was a mess and the Justice League was all over the place).

Kenneth Rocafort was the original artist and while his take on female characters is somewhat questionable he drew some really impressive backgrounds making the book one of the prettiest to look at. He was succeded by various artists (mainly on the low end of quality input)

James Tynion IV suceeded Lobdell and almost killed the book with his 13-issues run (from issue 19 to issue 28 and the annual) and the less we talk about it, the better.

William Pfeiffer and Rafa Sandoval took over the book on March for a three issue fill in where the Outlaws faced Frankestein and Lobo:

The arc had a really strong issue but it took a quality dive by the end becoming something entertaining but really forgetable (the last issue even felt more like a Lobo issue than an Outlaws one)

Lobdell finally returned to the book on issue 32 and he brought back everything that made the book so fun before. Issue 32 works as a new jumping point for the series and so is perfect for anyone curious about it.

The book itself was an oddity under Lobdell's, despite being branded as a member of the Batman line of books it spent all of its time outside of Gotham with Batman only getting some references here and there but never the focus. It was only until the editorial mandated crossovers than Jason started interacting with the Batclan.

If you're only reading a few issues of the series pick issue 6 and 18 since those are the best thing Lobdell wrote and fantastic character focused stories for Jason and Kory (Roy got the spotlight on DCU Presents 17).

And lastly, the controversy:

There was a lot (and I do mean a LOT) written about this, so I'm just gonna say that it was tackled by Lobdell later, and there's more to it than meets the eye. Could it have been better? Of course, but if you're willing to give it a chance, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised and will have a good time reading it.

Since the OP looks kind of bare, have some kickass fanart:

(yeah, Jason is kind of a dork :haw:)

Well have at it. Everything's fair game on the thread (I will be the only one posting here otherwise :v:)

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Oh thanks for that!

See, this is the first OP I'm doing and english isn't my native language so I tend to made some really dumb mistakes on long sentences. Taking into account your suggestions right now and thanks again.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 27, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't give a poo poo about 95% of DC's output, but you have much greater passion for this book than anyone has for any other book on this entire forum, so I will at least check it out :)

Thanks for that!

As I said on the OP, you can't go wrong with issues six and eighteen and if you like N52's Roy his solo issue is pretty entertaining.

Stay the hell away from Tynion's run though, is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kull the Conqueror posted:

DT, what is your opinion of A Death in the Family?

Is a nice curiosity and Aparo's pencills are great but the story itself is really stupid and dated (the Joker as Iran's ambassador and best buds with the Ayatollah, really?).

Jason's death is better told either in the animated movie or in the few pages it got on the title's zero issue, there's a fun bit of a trivia about the original DOTF though, Jason's ex- girfriend is the stewardess who serves him a drink on the flight to Etiophia. :v:

Was Taters posted:

I have an equal passion for how terrible that loving RHATO book was long before Tynion got his hands on it, does that count? As a female comics reader, it makes me want to sew my vagina closed.

On the other hand, it's nice to know there's a comic for everyone, and someone for every comic.

Absolutely, since I'm one of the few goons who reads the title (making this thread kind of dead) everything's welcomed here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

I ended up giving Red Hood and Teen Titans the benefit of doubt and read the first 12 issues of both. I kind of liked it starting out but it got pretty dumb in a dumb way fast. It's not as bad as Teen Titans so I'll give it that.

Shame about that, you didn't missed a lot since the book was kind of held hostage by the Batman's crossvers by then.

So I take than Kory's arc wasn't of your liking or the book went to poo poo earlier?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I've read every issue of RHatO because a buddy of mine gets them so I don't have to pay for them.

It is, in my opinion, not a great book. It could be. It has ideas and concepts that want to be awesome. It has potential. But the execution has been terrible since day one and the character designs - yes, I'm specifically thinking of Starfire here - have not helped.

That said... it does have that potential, and Dark_Tzitzimine, you are awesome for being willing to stand up to the prevailing sentiment of BSS and say "I don't give a poo poo what you say, I like this book and I will tell you all why." So good on you.

I still think you're crazy, but hey. ;)

I totally agree, the book is a great time waster but it could be so much more. Lobdell didn't wrote the best stories but it had such a great grasp on the characters than it made for his shortcomings mainly, than he would introduce neat concepts than were abandoned (like giving a sister to Jason). Hopefully Pfeiffer will use the full potential of the book.
I have to ask, you happen to have something positive to say about Tynion's work?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
NuLobo isn't that bad, he's even more heroic than classic Lobo and it was pretty entertaining on Supergirl, however, unless the cover is a red herring I doubt we're gonna see him again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

Did we read the same Villains Month issue? Old Lobo may have blown up planets but rescuing people only to enslave them again and sell them yourself so they can be killed and have their bones ground up doesn't exactly make one more heroic and trying to contrast the two is splitting hairs.

Oh, I was talking about his actions on Supergirl. And you're right, calling him 'heroic' is reaching a bit, he's more honorable?; I mean he was giving Kara really good advice before being curbstomped by her :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NoMoneyDown posted:

I'd also like to share my fondness for that particular book.

It has been a fun action series when it wants to be. Whenever the trio just :smug: s it up with each other, I am in love with this comic. But that complete disconnect when you realize Jason Todd is the wild card behind a secret war of magical cults, it just doesn't seem to add up considering this is Jason Todd. On top of that, we had an amnesia plotline that amounted to very little, and put the book in a standstill for a good chunk.

I'm just waiting to see if this book gets back on track now that we've gotten the gang back together, and this week's issue had a lot of the fun parts that I loved about the run before. So I've got some faith.

'Sup fellow hoodie :hfive:

You know, the magic cult arc had a lot of potential but it was squandered thanks to Tynion's poor writing. A shame really since I was actually excited by Tynion coming into the book.

I'm also butthurt about how he wrote Isabel off from the book, she could've added a lot of depth to Jason.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NoMoneyDown posted:

Well, to be fair, she was basically absent from the book anyway due to aforementioned amnesia plotline. Oh, and the whole Joker thing happened, too. So when they brought her back, it was pretty clear that this was the issue where we write her out. And I think that Jason has had ENOUGH depth with that whole "chosen one" schtick with the previous arc.

Yeah, I didn't have high expectatives about Isabel becoming a mainstay but it would've been interesting to have Jason deal with a 'normal' relationship for once, and Isabel could've helped him to deal with his demons on a different way than Roy, Kory or even Bruce.

The Chosen One schtick was loving stupid though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I've sometimes thought, reading your screeds about Tynion, that you're less upset about the book you got and more upset that you didn't get the book you hoped you were going to get; being less emotionally invested in Lobdell's run, I didn't have that issue. Sure, there was a lot of stuff I thought was pretty dumb, but you can't build a good house on a foundation made of dogshit.

There's a certain degree of truth on this but my principal problem with Tynion is than he was pandering to the critics, his first issue was focused on giving those who complained about Kory's memories, Roy's past with Dick and who wanted a more street level Jason what they wanted despite that didn't made a lick of sense with the backstory Lobdell built on his run. That kind of pandering really bothers me since I'm of the opinion than you should write to tell a story and not to please the critics (I have the same problem with Simone's work actually). I mean, I want for the writers to do new things with Jason and grow past the 'angsty badass' characterization than Winnick gave him, Tynion was trying to return him to that status quo.

The awful art didn't help but the thing it made loathe his run was those flashbacks where suddenly Jason was a little bitch crying because 'he didn't knew what was right and what was wrong'

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

spacejung posted:

I like to compare RHATO with another New 52 title: Voodoo.

The two share a lot of similarities.

The main one is the both of them tried REALLY hard to sell with "sexy" cover art. However, if you got past the cover, the art was very competent. Rocafort and Basri both delivered consistent, professional material, regardless of how cheese-cakey or goofy the script was. It that sense, both the books were more enjoyable to read than the ugly stepchildren of the New 52, these being your Liefeld books, your Brett Booth Titans and the whole Man of War/GI Combat catastrophe.

Story-wise, the initial authors were removed from the book somewhat abruptly. Ron Marz only made it 4 issues into Voodoo; Lobdell made it much farther into his project, farther in fact than Voodoo even made it before cancellation, but the Tynion reset did occur in the midst of the DoTF crossover and this has already been discussed. Voodoo had some of the worst sales of any New 52 book, and Marz was canned in favor of Josh Williamson. Now, in my opinion, Marz was bad but Williamson told a pretty cool story. Gone was the whole succubus/strip club noir thing that Marz was going after; instead it shifted gears into a sort of DC space epic not unlike the path that Lobdell took. I think that from an objective standpoint that issues 5-12 and 0 of Voodoo are pretty good, and in any event far superior to the other Wildstorm output of the period (including Grifter and Superman's short-lived Daemonite crossover). I also think it was trying to occupy the same niche as RHATO. In my opinion, Voodoo did it better. But it starred the character Voodoo, who is not popular and not under the bat-umbrella, so naturally it tanked. Voodoo was good but not great; it certainly wasn't good enough to generate critical acclaim like other popular non-cape titles, Animal Man and Swamp Thing, and the Marz false start didn't help things.

I am not personally a fan of Lobdell's writing - every character has sort of the same 90's Bart Simpson dialogue and I find that incredibly grating. I also don't think his plotting is anything great. But to each their own; I'm curious, Dark-Tzitzi, did you read any Voodoo and what did you think of it?

I did catch the first few issues but I never could made any heads or tails of the plot (mainly because I don't give a rat rear end about Wildstorm), I do remember thinking than having Voodoo being an alien disguised as a sexy woman was kind of a cop-out though.

To be honest I'd totally forgotten about Voodoo until you mentionated it now, and thinking a little they really try it's hand at having variety back then with so many weird rear end titles on the shelves (I, Vampire was pretty dope after the boring first issues and Resurrection Man was really interesting).

And you're right about Lobdell, his dialogue is kind of weird sometimes and is pretty obvious than certain concepts he introduced on the title were just excuses to move the plot forward and yet, he made care about Roy and Kory (I initially was all :psyduck: about their incursion on 'Jason's title') and treated Jason better than any other writer had done.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 28, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

spacejung posted:

I agree that Resurrection Man and I, Vampire are two extremely good New 52 sleepers.

See what you think of Voodoo from issue 5 forward if you get the chance.

Okay, I read the whole run of Voodoo and I don't see many similarities with RHATO. Marz kind of tricked the readers presenting Voodoo like a stripper and outside of a few jabs on Williamson's run it was forgotten in favor of a more grim and violent story, Lobdell comitted to Kory's sensuality and made it an important par of her character if anything, he added more depth to the characterization.

Despite appearances, Lobdell never tried to turn RHATO into a space-opera and it was a convenient setting brought by Kory's background, I always liked to think of RHATO like an adventurer kind of book. With the team traveling everywhere righting wrongs, collecting bounties or just having a little R&R in the middle of taking down criminal empires. Voodooo on the other hand, was comitted to set the pieces for the EPIC daemonite war and such, lost its creative freedom.

But the biggest difference is the tone, despite the hosed up backstory of the Outlaws there was always hope for them, hope to be better people, hope to find happiness, hope to move forward and build a new future (incidentally, this is why I LOVED the book under Lobdell)

This fanart shows perfectly the idea:

With Voodo, the only hope than I got was the hope of bloody vengeance and things only went worse as the book progressed. The action was amazing (even better than RHATO's I have to admit) but there were no fun or friendship coming from the cast, only death, deceive and despair.

Voodoo is also a straight up villian with no reedeming qualities and Priscila is held up by her past so is hard to root for the main characters, the Black Razors were a great addition to the book but they came too late and were painfully underused (and with the existance of ARGUS I doubt we'll se them again).

The biggest fault of Voodoo is that doesn't have cohesion to the bigger DCU (hardly the writer's fault), the mentions of Superman felt really forced and Kyle's guest spot didn't mesh up with the plot. All of this amounts to a definitive apathy from me, since I know that there's nothing here than will have consequences on other books, Future's end could prove me wrong though.

RHATO was also a little disconnected from the bigger DCU but the little nods Lobdell put on the plot served to remind than while the team was minding it's own business it was part of something bigger (this point is kind of a foul given Jason's backstory in hindsight).

I can agree than both books fall inside the adventure book template and both of them have their strong points but RHATO is a more brighter take on it and therefore the best of the two.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

spacejung posted:

Well I'm glad you enjoyed some parts of it, and I understand what you mean about the things that put you off.

As far as this thread is concerned, I came in expecting to find copious amounts of backlash and mockery (and I'm thinking there is likely more to come) but it seems like you like this particular comic so much that you're not going to change your tune any time soon. You've taken your share of abuse in the general threads; however if it results in people enjoying comics that they'd previously written off, then you'll have done some good in my opinion. Carry on, Dark_Tzitzimine - your train has left the station perhaps headed for somewhere strange yet I for one will stand in its way no longer.

Thank you good sir, it was great talking to you :tipshat:

And you can bet than I'll keep riding this crazy train until the bitter end.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I hated hated hated New52 Resurrection Man because the pre-New52 Resurrection Man had been one of my favorite books and the new version simply had no time for subtlety or nuance. It was not very good. :(

I'm only familiar with N52's RM and I thought it got an interesting premise (specially the reveals of Mitch true origins and the whole heaven/hell thing) but color me surprised about being a poor take on the idea.

EDIT: And now Jason is gonna hang out with Bruce, Babs and the Superman family

:flashfap:

I do wonder if he was always intended to show or if they're only using him because Dick's unavailable though.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 3, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

I Vampire, Dial H, and ??

Static Shock and OMAC?

EDIT: And the thread got past the first page! :toot:

EDIT2: Too early look at Pfeiffer and Sandoval issue:

Looks really cool, Jason finally got back the featureless helmet, Roy is a genuine genius and Kory changed her wardrobe :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 4, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And Pak shows that Jason is a great character when handled by a competent writer, the Batman/Superman Annual is fantastic and despite my reservations about Jason being a stand in for Dick it turns that he got a reason to be there (and a really good one I must add) but the best thing is that Pak wrote them like being partners and having mutual trust on each other and not the tired routine of angst and betrayal than lovely writers take.

Also it has Krypto and the art is loving AWESOME.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

I read a couple pages before deciding to buy it. A Red Hood/Supergirl crossover sounds really cool.

Agreed, there's lot of potential there but it needs to be handled by a good writter or it either will be some kind of shipper pandering bullshit or it will made one character uselessso the other gets the spotlight.

I doubt it will happens, but I'd love to see what Pak could do with the Outlaws. The man is one of the best writers on DC right now.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

All of Supergirl lately has been shipper pandering bullshit. They were even teasing her/NuLobo. I'm sure when the Red Lantern stuff kicks off they'll tease Supergirl/Guy Gardner or something.

You got a point there (it was funny how one sided was the thing with NuLobo though) but I think Soule's better than that or at least, he will made it work somehow.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

If they're going to go the route of Supergirl being a ball of rage and angst, pairing her up with Red Hood for a while wouldn't be the worst thing they could do.

Is actually infuriating when the writers hit a block with the characters and turn them into brooding, edgy assholes for no good reason. Soule seems able to use these kind of stunts to move the characters forward, it worked with Rankorr and Guy so I'm hoping it'll work with Kara.

Speaking of Jason and lanterns, I always thought it was a shame that he didn't got involved on Blackest Night it could've been an interesting angle for him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The idea have potential but outside of taking the angle of Superman and/or Batman reacting to the pair I don't see it too diferent to the Red Hood/Starfire dynamic. Well, they could also take the shipping angle but I doubt anyone would be happy with it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

While I guess it gives him a unique weapon instead of just batarangs like the rest of the Bat-family, I just cannot take Jason seriously when he's waving around those loving lightsabers. They're just plain silly.

When Lobdell introduce them I thought it was an interesting novelty and it could've worked like Jason's signature weapon but then Tynion made them able to materialize out of thin air and pulling poo poo like this:

I quickly started to hate the loving things.

Pak made a good use of them on the annual (just loving cut-all swords)and Pfeiffer seems to have Jason go back to the guns, with any luck this is the last time we see them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The team is getting action figures later this year :flashfap:

Shame than Roy looks like a loving dork with the backwards cap and Jason's look like a bargain bin Destro, is still better than nothing; though.

I want to add a brief guide for the characters (what to read about them, important things to know) for their pre N52 versions (and expand a little on his current incarnations) but aside of Jason I don't have a clue for Roy and Kory. So if anyone could give a few pointers for them (not gonna lie, a write-up would be better) I'd be really thankful.

EDIT: Regarding Jason's lightsabers? They're editorial mandated:

Jae Lee about the Annual cover posted:

Originally, I had Red Hood unloading his guns onto an unflinching Supergirl, who's holding him up by the neck, just like in the final image, but then I was notified he now has flaming swords.

:doh:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 10, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

First Bass posted:

To be fair to Jason and DC, shooting a Super is pretty dumb. At least they're magical flaming swords iirc

Now than you mention it, Supergirl should be weak to magic isn't she? With that in mind Jason's swords make a lot more of sense, I'm just butthurt over Tynion's 'chosen one' bullshit I guess.
The swords are actually kind of cool since are something so odd than really made Jason stand out within the batclan (and is amusing hiw they became his signature weapon in just a few months)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

Did they bring back WarWorld?

They did but now is more like a real planet with government, factions and the like instead of a 'Death Star' kind of thing (or maybe is the original depiction I'm only familiar with the YJ's depiction)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

You should read Panic In The Sky. Its 90s as gently caress but still pretty rad.

I did it, pretty cool story. Shame than nobody used Warworld in such a great way after it.

On other news, June's solicits are out and Lobdell is back in RHATO. I have mixed feelings on this:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #32
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by RAFA SANDOVAL
Cover by ED BENES
DC Collectibles Bombshells variant cover by ANT LUCIA
On sale JUNE 18 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will arrive in stores with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
After stopping a nuclear explosion, Red Hood and the Outlaws find themselves in the crosshairs of S.H.A.D.E.!

http://www.newsarama.com/20589-dc-june-2014-solicits-the-new-52-part-1.html

At least Sandoval is a really good artist and going by 29's preview it really fits the book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Was Taters posted:

Thread tag :laffo:

What are you talking abo..oh.

When Rich is right, he is right :v:

Your Red Hood and the Outlaws cover rage may begin now DC solicitations for June 2014

I do think you all are exaggerating since: for a Benes piece it looks cool and Kory's suit is closer to her pre-N52 version.

EDIT:

I just went to Tumblr and is going loving NUCLEAR with the news :laffo:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 17, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Swillkitsch posted:

D_T, I generally don't hate your posts and try not to think of you as completely ignorant, but why shouldn't people be upset? The WW cover is a play on Rosie the Riveter; the Catwoman cover has artistic merit and is attractive, at a minimum. You can only say HA HA IT'S A 90s PINUP, CLEARLY, TUMBLR FEMINISTS HA HA up to a certain point before you reveal your own desperation to defend what is actually, really, almost inarguably a piece of art that isn't just exploitative, it's poorly done.

Having a character named Starfire pose like it's too drat hot out. Are you nuts?

That is pretty much a Maxim cover and I don't see people pulling out the pitchforks everytime an issue is published. And actually I'd found the whole Bombshell's thing a little more questionable sinc by definition, the concept refers to a 'extremelly sexually attractive woman' something than should be shunned under modern conceptions, I believe than the 'grandfather clause' doesn't really apply here since another older concepts stirred a lot of controversy despite their cultural importance (the whole 'Memin Pinguin' poststamps fiasco comes to mind). Personally, I don't mind the bombshells cover (or any other variant theme actually) since they're only novelties.

And I'm not desperate, I'm upset by how this so-called feminist on tumblr are just riding the coat-tails to show how better people they're, the posts only reference the issue 1's controversy, I can understand they don't wanting to know anything about Lobdell's work after that but if they were really invested on Starfire character they would glance Tynion's work if only to keep pointing how utterly mishandled is she but there's no mention of Tynion anywhere (or Pfeiffer for what is worth).

One gets the impression than RHATO exists on a limbo where only issues 1 and 32 are being published and well, I don't think than you can judge anything with so poor foundations.

I mentionted on the DC thread, is really sad if DC is doing this intentionally to get sales since the book could get them on its own merits.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NoMoneyDown posted:

I never thought I'd be happy to have Lobdell back on writing for any kind of ongoing comic I'm reading, but here we are.

I have mixed feelings since I have really big expectations of Pfeiffer's arc and I think than Lobdell already say anything he wanted to say on the characters and I want a new take. Of course, Pfeiffer could delive an even bigger turd than Tynion and Lobdell could pick up the plot of Jason's sister so is kind of a catch-22. We'll see on Wednesday.

Edit: gently caress, I wanted to edit not double post.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

I agree, when we realize a character is being badly and offensively written we should buy every possible issue of the offensive book, so we can exactly chart who is the greatest shitbag on the trash boat.

Again my poor writing gave the wrong idea, I wasn't saying than it was necessary to buy every single issue to give a legitimate crticism (it would be the ideal of course and let's be honest, isn't like the people over Tumblr wouldn't be able to :filez: the books, therefore not giving a single dime to DC) only than if you're talking so high an mighty over the theme the minimum courtesy would be to have more of passing knowledge on the theme, in this case, acknowledging Tynion's and Pfeiffer work it would been enough.

^EDIT: Maybe I'm being naive but under that logic it wouldn't been expected to see more reaction out of Tynion's run? I bet there were people who liked the characters and was turned off by Lobdell but once he was out, they could've picked the book with a new writer if only for sheer curiosity or bile fascination.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 18, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

Do you really? How much respect do you have to give to the offender before it's fair?

Also, yes, the Tumblr crowd could steal all the bad books in the world. They could also do other things with their time than constantly grub through something they find offensive and possibly hurtful.

Respect?

I was under the impression than the basic requeriment for a real discussion is to be knowledgeable of the theme. For example, I don't like Snyder work on Batman or Slott's on Spiderman but I want to discuss the stories so I read their books. If I were to find them so awful like some people seems to find Lobdell's work then I wouldn't even bother to acknowledge their existance, the 'if you don't have anything positive to say, better don't say anything' notion.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

Don't say anything works if you're discussing a dick coworker or jackass at a party, not so much when you're addressing media. Not saying anything means things are going to keep going that way, which is fine when it's a single person but lethal when discussing harmful trends in things. BSS in general has a bit of a problem with hate buying books, but that's a different subject I think.

I know what are you talking about, however, regarding media trends I have the logic than if is really harmful it will die on its own and quickly forgotten since eventually everything falls under its own weight (and I'd have a MASSIVE ulcer were to throw a fit everytime I found anything I don't think is proper or like it)

(Ironically, it happened on RHATO with Tynion)

And I don't really think is a strong trend on the west since I see less cheesecake everywhere than before, well, except on Japanese media but that's a completly different beast.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That is unfortunately not the case. Plenty of deplorable media trends and practices are continually upheld by a status quo power structure that has no incentive to change them.

Things have been changing though, a few years back and nobody could've expected a black spiderman, probably not in the scope we would like but baby steps. There's a lot of really ingrained notions on our culture than need to change.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

If you think hateful trends in anything die off naturally you are discounting a lot of hard work done by a lot of people to make things better for everyone.

I don't want to seem like I'm ragging on you or anything but the process of scouring hurtful detritus from culture is something that's been worked on longer than we've been alive and will continue long after we're worm food, and every step of that process is a struggle.

It depends on the trend obviously but for anything related to a person as individual I think than the better course of action is to stop giving a gently caress about it and treat everyone just as you would want to be treated.

In the case of these 'sexism' I think than the best is taking like it is, just something ficticious and totally irrelevant to how the people really are. Actually, that applies to any stereotipe, I mean, not for being mexican I spent all my time lazing out under a cactus. :mexico:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

How nice, to have the luxury of not giving a gently caress.

It really is a luxury though?

These things than it need to be changed it wouldn't be changed by us or maybe not even our grandkids but we can plant the seeds for that change with the kids of today. Teach them to learn than no matter color, preference, aspect, nationality or upbringing we're the same, there's only thing than matters: we all are human. Teach them than characters on the media are just that, fictional characters and you should take only the good things out of them.

In this book particular case, take from Jason his stubborness and willforce to stand by what is right despite the odds, from Kory take the confidence to do and be what you want to and the eternal optmism and hope of a better future from Roy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm too naive and idealistic I guess.

Despite the appearances while I LOVE the book a lot I don't think than comics are really than important (or any other kind of media really) and such it shouldn't been held on such high regard just take the good things from it and drop the bad ones, teach this notion to the next generation and slowly but surely things will change for the better.

You shouldn't ignore things than happen IRL though.

^ Edit: I'm sorry, what? :psyduck:

On what moment I went weaving a new religion? I'm just a firm believer than the superheroes exist not only to entertain but also to inspire and motivate us to be better.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 18, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

"Just ignore the bad poo poo" is not a good thign to teach children.

This is really goddamn stupid. Ignoring the bad poo poo does not make it go away. It means nobody talks about it. That's all it means. What the gently caress.

Well, in my house what was really important was to have something to eat, something to wear and education. My father saw the comics, games and TV as something nice to spend some of your free time but only that, growing up I had a lot of things restricted since they weren't proper for a kid like me but once I entered Middle School I was responsible from everything and he trusted on me making the right judgement about everything. I think than I am a pretty decent and so I want my childrens to grow like that.

And to clarify, I'm only saying than you ignore the bad things on the media but no to ignore whatever happens with real people every day.

d00gZ posted:

I think this would be a good time to link to shathley Q's review of Red Hood #1. Note: He did not write this as a parody.

http://www.popmatters.com/review/149481-red-hood-the-outlaws-is-editors-choice-of-dcs-new-52/

Fixed for accuracy.

Shame than that was the only review he did on the book, I'd loved to know his thoughts on all the issues of the book.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 18, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I think than the real effort should be on giving the people the neccesary tools and knowledge to made informed choices on what the pick from the media, yes?

To put an example, currently I'm hitting the gym since I want to look like Jason IRL, or the closer I realistically can get anyways. (:v:) But that doesn't mean I'll be a colossal shithead like sometimes he tends to be written.

Incidentally, the gym where I'm going is decorated with cheesecake posters of girls and guys, there's one in particular than is pretty close to Kory's pose on the cover and no one bats an eye to it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Comic characters could never do anything to help society!
http://mentalfloss.com/article/23157/how-superman-defeated-ku-klux-klan

If that account is really true, then I'm really impressed since is the right way to use the media to educate and not to conditionate.

Also, it turns out than shantley Q also reviewed issue 6 of RHATO but while interesting it gets really heavy and contrived with the deep analysis

http://www.popmatters.com/review/154708-when-the-teacher-is-ready-red-hood-the-outlaws-6/

Still an interesting read though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

Nah it's still bad. The fact that Starfire still has that costume is bad. It's not the worst thing DC has done but acting like it's acceptable or not sexist and degrading is bad.

DC were given a full reboot to do whatever they want with the character and this is the poo poo they are doing and should constantly be called out on it.

To contrast Marvel have rebooted plenty of characters both male and female with Marvel Now and have accepted that there is some poor representation of women and minorities and have attempted to address it with different costumes, storylines and creators. They aren't doing it perfectly but at least I can read Black Widow and the character doesn't constantly have the front zipper down and her tits hanging out and that's the same with Captain Marvel and even the upcoming Elektra book.

And even all of that came from people constantly calling out Marvel until things started to get better. The constant ignore the very real problems because they are minor just leads to bigger poo poo down the way and prevents any actual progress being made.

Probably not Black Widow but Marvel also have things like this:

And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Black Widow a Femme Fatale type of character? By definition sex appeal and sensuality are integral part of the archetype.

Madkal did mentioned before, the cover is a throwback to the buddy cop aesthetic of the 80's-90's like Miami Vice or Tango & Cash:

If people thinks than the Bombshell covers have some merit as being a throwback to a part of the north american culture, I don't think RHATO's cover is THAT bad since is also a part of the culture, pop culture but culture nonetheless.

Also, I don't know if there's some merit to it but Kory's costume on that cover is closer to Perez' one

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 18, 2014

• Locked thread