Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Dumb newbie questions guys. I've been following Batman Eternal, but other than a few of the really iconic storyline collections (DKR, Long Halloween, Death in the Family, Killing Joke, Son of Batman) I feel like I'm missing some critical bat-history. I could dig through Wikipedia, but sometimes there's just too much going on there - and talking about batman stuff with other people is just more fun.

I'm 95% sure that "red robin" is Jason Todd, who I guess is independent these days? Wikipedia is telling me that this "batwing" guy who showed up today is Luke Fox - was he like a robin I've never heard of at some point, or something else entirely? Finally - what do I need to know about this magical green smoke guy who seems to be somewhat friendly with Bruce? Why do his cocktails ooze green magic smoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

A_Ruse! posted:

Dumb newbie questions guys. I've been following Batman Eternal, but other than a few of the really iconic storyline collections (DKR, Long Halloween, Death in the Family, Killing Joke, Son of Batman) I feel like I'm missing some critical bat-history. I could dig through Wikipedia, but sometimes there's just too much going on there - and talking about batman stuff with other people is just more fun.

I'm 95% sure that "red robin" is Jason Todd, who I guess is independent these days? Wikipedia is telling me that this "batwing" guy who showed up today is Luke Fox - was he like a robin I've never heard of at some point, or something else entirely? Finally - what do I need to know about this magical green smoke guy who seems to be somewhat friendly with Bruce? Why do his cocktails ooze green magic smoke?

Red Robin is Tim Drake, which got established with Fabian Nicieza's book after Batman RIP. I've never really heard of Luke Fox before this point, so I'm assuming he's a recently invented character? I may be wrong.

Also, I didn't see Batman: Year One in that list of yours, and it's probably presumptive to assume you haven't read it, but you really should if you haven't. Miller is less maniacal and warping the characterizations in it, and it's probably the best Jim Gordon story I've ever read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Red Robin is Tim Drake. He rolls with the Teen Titans.
Batwing started as a different character from Africa when Batman was commanding a world wide network of Bat heroes. Now he's Lucius Fox(Morgan Freeman from the movies)'s son since the other guy resigned. Has his own book.
The guy with the smoke is the current host for The Specter, who an old, old DC green ghost spirit of vengeance. Not particular to the Batman side.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 16, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A_Ruse! posted:

All DC went under a whole line reboot on September 2011 and brought what is known as the N52, this retconned or modify Batman's entire story with only a few things remaining intact, mainly, the four Robins.

Speaking of them, they're are like this now:

Dick Grayson: Oficially dead but in reality going undercover to work as spy for a global organization named Spiral. He will debut a new series on July and before that he was Nightwing

Jason Todd: Still was killed by the Joker and resurrected, nowadays is the Red Hood and is having adventures alongside Starfire and Roy Harper on his own title 'Red Hood & The Outlaws'

Tim Drake: The third Robin and operating under the Red Robin persona, he's been neglected on the N52 so Eternal will flesh him out. Before that he was the leader of the Teen Titans but it wasn't a good run.

Damian Wayne: Bruce and Talia's biological son, he was the Robin for the N52 and is currently dead :smith:

Batwing is a character created by Grant Morrison a few years back as the Batman of Africa, now is Luke Fox, son of Lucius Fox. The guy in green is Jim Corrigan AKA The Spectre but he's written more like Jason Blood (Etrigan the Demon) that God's wrath personified.

Personally I found Eternal being really stupid but everyone else found it good and is gonna be Batman's main story for the next year so, enjoy the ride I guess?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

Thanks, everyone. In conclusion: I need to get my Robins down. I know some people aren't digging Eternal that much, and I've enjoyed some issues more than others, but as a newer reader - I LOVE that it's weekly. Life gets stressful, but every Wednesday for the foreseeable future, I get to forget about it all for 30-40 minutes and read about what the Godmaned Batman is up to.

Probably Magic: Should have added Year One to that list. What am awesome story. I actually started down this comic booky road when a friend loaned me Year One and Dark Knight Returns. Reading them concurrently was kind of a great introduction - your brain fills in the in-between of batman's career with little snippets of the mythos you pick up over the years. That's sort of an ideal way to start grasping an iconic comic book character, because at their best, comic book stories are kind of like modern myths; the "cannon" changes, the stories get told in different ways and few people really know every little detail of the timeline, but the essential "idea" of Batman/Superman/ect. is just kind of floating around out there in everyone's headspace as a larger-than-life idea.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

First issue of Batman post-Zero Year will have art by Matteo Scalera (Black Science.)
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-batman-34-cover-and-solicit-reveal/1100-148747/

:allears:

Hot drat that's awesome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A_Ruse! posted:

Thanks, everyone. In conclusion: I need to get my Robins down. I know some people aren't digging Eternal that much, and I've enjoyed some issues more than others, but as a newer reader - I LOVE that it's weekly. Life gets stressful, but every Wednesday for the foreseeable future, I get to forget about it all for 30-40 minutes and read about what the Godmaned Batman is up to.

Probably Magic: Should have added Year One to that list. What am awesome story. I actually started down this comic booky road when a friend loaned me Year One and Dark Knight Returns. Reading them concurrently was kind of a great introduction - your brain fills in the in-between of batman's career with little snippets of the mythos you pick up over the years. That's sort of an ideal way to start grasping an iconic comic book character, because at their best, comic book stories are kind of like modern myths; the "cannon" changes, the stories get told in different ways and few people really know every little detail of the timeline, but the essential "idea" of Batman/Superman/ect. is just kind of floating around out there in everyone's headspace as a larger-than-life idea.

There was a Robin before Damien before the Reboot a little character called Stephanie Brown. After the Reboot it was stated that she had never been a Robin or Batgirl (Which she became later). Eternal is her first New 52 appearance.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

There was a Robin before Damien before the Reboot a little character called Stephanie Brown. After the Reboot it was stated that she had never been a Robin or Batgirl (Which she became later). Eternal is her first New 52 appearance.

Was she the girl who showed up in an earlier issue of Eternal, whose dad turned out to be some kind of minor villian having minor villain poker night in his kitchen?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

A_Ruse! posted:

Was she the girl who showed up in an earlier issue of Eternal, whose dad turned out to be some kind of minor villian having minor villain poker night in his kitchen?
She's the Cluemaster's daughter in old continuity (A minor villains) and she took the mantle of "Spoiler" in lieu of her father, it sounds like it could be her, but I don't read the book. Is Eternal any good at all? I'm not buying a single DC book anymore.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched Batman Beyond recently and thought it was okay but not quite at the full potential of its core concept. Has anybody read Kyle Higgins' Batman Beyond stuff? Is it any good?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So Eternal confused me a little bit. Was the glowy green guy in the sewer just Gentleman Ghost and Batman failed to take him out? Or did Blight from Batman Beyond suddenly come out of nowhere?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Is Eternal any good at all? I'm not buying a single DC book anymore.

I don't think it's better than 'Batman', if you gave up on that, but it's been good.
You might dig the more procedural nature of it. It's a lot like a TV show.

TwoPair posted:

So Eternal confused me a little bit. Was the glowy green guy in the sewer just Gentleman Ghost and Batman failed to take him out? Or did Blight from Batman Beyond suddenly come out of nowhere?

Glowing skeleton man is Dr. Phosphorus http://www.comicvine.com/doctor-phosphorus/4005-11246/

e: Oh hey.
"Doctor Phosphorus' appearance was used as inspiration for the character Derek Powers, who later becomes Blight."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 16, 2014

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

I didn't know either character at the time, but took the juxtaposition between the two weird ghost villains (at first, I too thought they might be the same, and was confused) as an indication from the writer that "batman isn't in real trouble because he's dealing with a magical ghost - watch him handle this stupid magic ghost villian no prob he's got battarangs and quips for that from some plan he sneezed out hammered drunk. He's in actual peril (i.e. care about this story) because literally right under his nose there's this serious poo poo extra badass green skeleton who HAPPENS to be a ghost that he's not even seeing."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched Batman Beyond recently and thought it was okay but not quite at the full potential of its core concept. Has anybody read Kyle Higgins' Batman Beyond stuff? Is it any good?
It's one of the few DC titles I still buy regularly and I say it's worth the dollar per issue (digitally). Higgins says often that he's a huge fan of the animated DC shows and it shows in the writing and structure of the stories. Right now the comic is doing a crossover with Justice League Beyond that involves one of the major storylines from the Justice League show, but after it ends Batman Beyond is going weekly because JLB is ending due to Christos Gage leaving to do television writing. Bit sad about that but it means the stories will go at a much faster pace now that it won't be bi-weekly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fallen Rib
Batman this week (past week? Shut up I work Wednesdays) was awesome, and answers the old question who would win a fight between Batman and 3 lions. Seriously this was an awesome chapter and I am looking forward t the ending more and more now. Capullo's artwork continues to knock it out, and the colour choices actually makes me appreciate coloured artwork more than I usually do.

I am also quite enjoying Batman: Eternal as the story seems to be used as an excuse to explore the Batman world which is always nice. Also nice is that there doesn't seem to be any tie-ins at the moment. Hopefully that continues. The writers are doing a good job introducing some plotlines and hopefully these will be explored fully and given room to breathe.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Madkal posted:

Batman this week (past week? Shut up I work Wednesdays) was awesome, and answers the old question who would win a fight between Batman and 3 lions. Seriously this was an awesome chapter and I am looking forward t the ending more and more now. Capullo's artwork continues to knock it out, and the colour choices actually makes me appreciate coloured artwork more than I usually do.

I am also quite enjoying Batman: Eternal as the story seems to be used as an excuse to explore the Batman world which is always nice. Also nice is that there doesn't seem to be any tie-ins at the moment. Hopefully that continues. The writers are doing a good job introducing some plotlines and hopefully these will be explored fully and given room to breathe.

Eternal is rad for me because I love Bullock and I'm hoping with Jim locked up he'll take his place. It's cool he's in Tec now, too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Azzarello did reportedly do a Catwoman pitch...

Guessing a Robin ongoing is gonna be one of the things. Could be the daring thing. Someone we're not expecting? Professor Pyg?

Jim Gordon becomes the host of The Specter moments from execution and gets a series?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 1, 2014

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Hopefully they'll have a robin costume that doesn't suck rear end like every other New 52 Robin costume.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think Jason's looked too bad.

At least compared to Dick's.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 1, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jason's is a bit better, but both of them need to lose the unnecessary chevron things. Have they ever Shown Tim's in the new 52? Looks like Damian had the best one.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dacap posted:

Jason's is a bit better, but both of them need to lose the unnecessary chevron things. Have they ever Shown Tim's in the new 52? Looks like Damian had the best one.
What are you talking about? Tim was never Robin :downs:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dacap posted:

It was pretty much the same pre N52

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It was pretty much the same pre N52

missing scalloped cape 0/10 would not superhero

seriously though that pre-Red Robin costume is probably my favorite (followed by Damian's)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Remember when Tynion and Meghan Hetricks were supposed to do Nightwing 30?

Here is the whole art I had some problems with Seeley's issue but it was way more interesting than this generic superhero funeral issue.

Honestly, is crap.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 1, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

hiddenriverninja posted:

missing scalloped cape 0/10 would not superhero

seriously though that pre-Red Robin costume is probably my favorite (followed by Damian's)

You got good taste in costumes. That One Year Later costume on the cover of the OYL Teen Titans issue was like a revelation.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Didn't like NW 30, which isn't auspicious for Grayson, but we'll see. I hope it's less fight scene driven. That went on tiresomely long.

Janin's art tho was sweet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Remember when Tynion and Meghan Hetricks were supposed to do Nightwing 30?

Here is the whole art I had some problems with Seeley's issue but it was way more interesting than this generic superhero funeral issue.

Honestly, is crap.

Oh, hey, there's a cool reference to Catwoman #0 in page 21

Now I kinda want Dick to eventually show himself to everyone in the best way possible

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Was Taters posted:

Didn't like NW 30, which isn't auspicious for Grayson, but we'll see. I hope it's less fight scene driven. That went on tiresomely long.

Janin's art tho was sweet.

Yeah. I was pretty digging everything up till the Batman fight. All that silly spy stuff with warp face man seems like it could be a lot of fun.

e: Though now Spyral is pretty much the same as the DEO from Batwoman?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 1, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I got this at CBR: All the changes DC made to Snyder's Death of the Family in the trade compared to the original issues:
http://imgur.com/a/2NLIJ

That's a lot of changes!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 1, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's not even the number, they cut out all of Joker's flirting. That's horrible.

e: There is something pretty lame in making someone scary through threat of homosexuality, but all of the dynamic is gone now, replaced by nothing.
No doubt this was done completely out of cowardice/pressure from the trade being a lot more mass market.

ee: Mark Doyle came in after this was collected, right? Maybe Snyder demanded him after seeing what they did.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 2, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I don't really buy it as anything but cowardice. The way it is retconned reads a lot more like censorship than anything else. Some of the other changes, really bizarrely, feel like they're supposed to make it more 'kid-friendly.' (Tranq gun claified, making sure Batman clearly cares about the innocent people) in a story where Joker run around with his face cut off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The New 52: Batman doesn't sit whisper. That was the dumbest change to me. I mean, drat, come on.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
More like Batman is not allowed to be funny and get into the Joker's head, and the Joker is not allowed to be surprised by anything because the Joker is so awesome and cool and perfect and Batman is stuffy and can't dish like he takes it even though he's done so in most Batman-Joker stories up until now, so goes DC law.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Could we just dial down "Scary Joker" already? I mean drat, he wore his hacked off face as a mask for Christ sake. How can that not be the limit?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fallen Rib
Death of the Family works if you consider it a gothic horror story, filled with gore and over-the-top melodrama. Your milage can range from there.
As for the changes, I am sad that they took out the Joker's flirting. DotF really tried to drive home the point that Batman and the Joker were in some kind of twisted relationship and needed each other. At least that was the Joker's point.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Those edits are kind of stupid :sigh:

And here I though Snyder was untouchable.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
That's pretty bad. Does anyone know if the Comixology issues have been retroactively censored?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

sleepingbuddha posted:

That's pretty bad. Does anyone know if the Comixology issues have been retroactively censored?

They haven't.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I would love to her Snyder's views on all this--I mean, that's a LOT of changes, and many of them straight up erase what was obviously his vision about Joker and Bats' relationship. However, he's also very much a DC company man, so I'm sure he'd play it off as no big deal. Someone bug him on Twitter about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

redbackground posted:

I would love to her Snyder's views on all this--I mean, that's a LOT of changes, and many of them straight up erase what was obviously his vision about Joker and Bats' relationship. However, he's also very much a DC company man, so I'm sure he'd play it off as no big deal. Someone bug him on Twitter about it.

Having listened to him on a podcast or two, Snyder seems to be his own worst enemy and is really self deprecating (like he keeps referencing how DC is going to fire him at some point and he's trying to get as many Batman stories out as he can before that happens).

I'd imagine he just eats every bowl of poo poo they toss his way.

• Locked thread