Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I really enjoyed Uncanny X-Men #18.

Mostly because I really, really, enjoy new Cyclops and really hope this period of characterization stays as a permanent development for him.
That idea of Cyke being a total gently caress-up who was supposed to be this great savior and trying to pick up the pieces of his failure is really great.
The way the issue is drawn (with the really chaotic pattern of his blasts) shows how out-of-control and helpless he's supposed to be feeling and how he's just barely making it through every single day without actually blowing a big hole in his head.

Like it's not just some constant pervasive tone of sadness, but rather the underlying tone that contrasts/works in companion to what's happening in the flashbacks that really give that feel.

I'm wondering if there's a larger meaning to the differences in how characters are drawn during certain sequences- the comicbook crosshatches style that's in most of the issue vs. the more 'painted' style that seems to contrast the rest of the comic world to whenever his guilt is triggered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, the Two Scotts moments were some of my favourite of the week, it's all so sweetly strange and awkward.

Still finding it jarring how Ilyana's more or less back to normal again and being all OMFG you're my BFF with Kitty given how the ending to Gillen's Uncanny left her but hey.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really liked UXM this week, even if it was a bit confusing. Cyclops has always been one of my favourite characters so I like seeing him fleshed out more.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is young Cyclops leaving the books or is his series like Wolverines where he will be doing poo poo with his space dad between adventures with his old self?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Absolutely loved Uncanny this week. I wanted all of this so long ago. Cyclops dealing with this situation as Cyclops, the character with history and relationships and memories tied in crazy ways to everyone on the team. Bendis's real skills shined through in this. Character relationships and dialogue feel believably awkward and sincere. Still some cheesiness and off-character moments but its close enough and well done enough that I super enjoyed it. If it stays on track with this style and content, I'm pretty drat interested.

I still think a lot of Cyclops's reasoning and rationalization is weak, but taking that and all of AvX as a given, and looking at this situation, it's really well handled.

Edit: Art was cool. A little grungy, gross, and off model, but super loving interesting and wild. I think the funkier artists they've been doing on Uncanny really add to the mood of the series.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 6, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of feel UXM improves a lot every time Bachalo isn't on it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
The whole thing was basically a collage of interesting moments with several "wait, who's that supposed to be"s slipped in. I especially loved old Scott's talk with young Scott, and Emma's line about bringing toddler-Colossus into the present just to see how Kitty likes it. Bendis has a good voice for angry/flustered Emma, but that's just about the only time he does.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, sometimes you can barely tell if someone is supposed to be the blonde Cuckoo, Emma or Magik. Not just this issue either.

Doesn't help that Emma and Magik wear very similar tops either. And that they have inconsistent hairstyles.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Is young Cyclops leaving the books or is his series like Wolverines where he will be doing poo poo with his space dad between adventures with his old self?

I think they said he'll be gone because the team will deal with his absence. But probably only for an arc. He's not supposed to indefinitely travel in space.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Wolverine and the X-Men was alright this week though not the great relaunch I was hoping for.

On the other hand it had Patch. Patch!!!! and tons of kids stuff and Rockslide which everybody here seems to want.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, sometimes you can barely tell if someone is supposed to be the blonde Cuckoo, Emma or Magik. Not just this issue either.

Doesn't help that Emma and Magik wear very similar tops either. And that they have inconsistent hairstyles.

Magik has those weird Sif style wings on her head.

And I actually like Bachalo's artwork, but as many people have pointed out, he has zero ability to draw women that had different face, and his ubiquitous :stare: face when something surprising happens.

And I don't have any problem with Kitty and Illyana being friends again because we know Illyana is trying to not be completely bonkers (i assume she's still seeing Dr Strange in the past) and reaching out to someone as grounded as Kitty. Probably also why Scott is spending lots of time with her, he needs someone who has their head screwed on tight because he knows he's a fuckup but is smart enough to know he needs someone that can prevent him from loving up even more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Rockslide which everybody here seems to want.

Everybody wants Rockslide, they just don't know it yet.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I strongly dislike Bendis's Uncanny X-Men, and issue #18 contained a lot of my problems with the series as a whole. Characterization is absolutely terrible, and there is simply no plot driving the book. There's no rhyme or reason to the focus of the book on an issue-to-issue basis, and most events that occur seem like an excuse for teenage squabbling and little more.

All-New X-Men doesn't seem as meandering - perhaps it truly is, but the basic premise (The original teenage X-Men are now in the present! How will they handle it?) is more suited to just reacting to things as they come up. Plus, they actually are all teenagers, and the characterization of the original X-Men when they were originally being written in the 60's is so limited compared to modern comic writing, so I'm much more willing to forgive the fact that every character sounds like the proto-typical Bendis wise-rear end.

Uncanny X-Men is supposed to be about Scott's mutant revolution, yet that book is following the exact same pattern of simply reacting to things. Sometimes they go places and sentinels show up, and they have to deal with said sentinels, but no progress forward or backward is being made on that front. Sometimes they train a recruit. Sometimes they squabble amongst themselves. They have no apparent objectives beyond simple abstract concepts like "give mutants a fighting chance." It's like every issue is what would normally be a filler in-between more focused arcs, save for the decent Dormamu story in the very first couple issues and the BotA tie-ins (and ugh to those). I feel like there should be some structure after 18 issues. Uncanny X-Force was almost done the Dark Angel Saga by then!

Old Cyclops talking to Young Cyclops was admittedly a nice moment, but that was the only bit I really liked. Magik's characterization is lame compared to the dark places Gillen was taking her towards the end of his run, and Emma is so far off character that I can't even process it. Even in her current powerless state, she would compose herself much better and learn new ways to still have the upper hand. None of this throwing a hissy fit at Kitty bullshit.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Uncanny X-Men is supposed to be about Scott's mutant revolution, yet that book is following the exact same pattern of simply reacting to things.

Yeah, I hear you. I feel like it started strong, with Cyclops running around throwing up Xs and pissing off Shield, but lately I don't know what their point is.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Uncanny X-Men is supposed to be about Scott's mutant revolution, yet that book is following the exact same pattern of simply reacting to things. Sometimes they go places and sentinels show up, and they have to deal with said sentinels, but no progress forward or backward is being made on that front. Sometimes they train a recruit. Sometimes they squabble amongst themselves. They have no apparent objectives beyond simple abstract concepts like "give mutants a fighting chance." It's like every issue is what would normally be a filler in-between more focused arcs, save for the decent Dormamu story in the very first couple issues and the BotA tie-ins (and ugh to those). I feel like there should be some structure after 18 issues. Uncanny X-Force was almost done the Dark Angel Saga by then!

I think Uncanny's big problem is that it starts off with the premise of "We're gonna save these new mutants and then teach them!" But then it hits the brick wall/problem that any X-Men title has, which is "poo poo, we have too many people". Once Bendis finishes building up his little newbie squad in the first couple of issues, you know that's who the focus is on, and while they can go out and save mutants, it can't be in the same way, because they're not going to bring them back to their base anymore. Not because the base is full, mind you, but because the plot wouldn't allow for them to get a fair amount of "screen time" for lack of a better term. And because Scott's operating at a brand new/big empty military base, new mutants can't just fade into the background like they can at the old Xavier school/the Jean Grey school. So now the cast has to be proactive and hunting Sentinels or Purifiers or something, rather than reactive and going to save mutants from human persecution because when they do that, the question becomes "Now what?"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, I hear you. I feel like it started strong, with Cyclops running around throwing up Xs and pissing off Shield, but lately I don't know what their point is.

They're decompressing.

WatX was a solid book. No frills, just a good cast hitting their character beats strong. No bullshit subplots or villains. I'm glad I stuck around for this.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just read Magneto #1 and man, it is amazing. It's dark without being too dark, and I love the way the metal objects are shown.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Waterhaul posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men was alright this week though not the great relaunch I was hoping for.

On the other hand it had Patch. Patch!!!! and tons of kids stuff and Rockslide which everybody here seems to want.

I actually enjoyed it a good bit. I think for a first issue, it showed a lot of potential. I'm not familiar with Latour, but it seems like discussion of him is generally positive. I think Quentin Quire was more interesting here than anywhere else recently. He was fairly convincingly written as a conflicted teen. I really liked the moments between Logan, Fantomex, and Evan. I was also unfamiliar with the artist Mahmud Asrar. His linework was solid, and his facial expressions were good enough that they caught my eye.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 8, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't think it was a great issue, but it's got promise. It's really cool to see actual character development in Quentin Quire of all people.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

I didn't think it was a great issue, but it's got promise.
Yeah that's about where it landed for me. I liked the Quire couch scenes, but I don't care for the Phoenix. The x-franchise seemed mired in phoenix and/or time travel plots of late, which I don't need more of. I like seeing Evan interact with Fantomex, but I find his portrayal here feels at odds with his portrayal in other recent books. Granted it feels like where Fantomex should be, if you ignore the awful X-force series that just finished.

Maybe I'm just sour because I finished reading Vendetta (which was awful) to read the new X-Force which wasn't a great deal better.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Madrox posted:

I was also unfamiliar with the artist Mahmud Asrar. His linework was solid, and his facial expressions were good enough that they caught my eye.

He was the artist for Dynamo 5. Fun book.

Nice to see him drawing some X-Men with personality.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inkspot posted:

He was the artist for Dynamo 5. Fun book.

I re-read that recently. It's a shame it never got an ending.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yost on Amazing X-Men starting May

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So Aaron is now only writing the summer event and Thor at this point? I hope that he gets a title after it ends.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like Yost, but am sad to see Aaron on fewer books. What's going on with him? I know he's working on that Watcher event, but does he really have nothing else other than Thor on the pile? Is he doing any creator-owned books at all?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I like Yost, but am sad to see Aaron on fewer books. What's going on with him? I know he's working on that Watcher event, but does he really have nothing else other than Thor on the pile? Is he doing any creator-owned books at all?

Yes Southern Bastards. I assume that there will be some titles coming out of the watcher event, and he will get one.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm sure there will be books that spin out of the event and I bet he'll be writing one of those at least.
;efb

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I said it was coming but it still hurts :negative:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I am so loving happy to see Aaron finally gone from the X-Men and in favor of Yost to boot! Now if only Bendis could leave and Marvel brings back Carey to replace him.

That's not to say I think Aaron's a bad writer, I love Ghost Rider. Just that I think his X-Men stuff has been really bad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really enjoy most of Kyle and Yost's things and Aaron has never done much for me with his X-books. So this is fine with me!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Amazing didn't keep me, but I'll follow Yost's hot streak wherever it goes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Suben posted:

I am so loving happy to see Aaron finally gone from the X-Men and in favor of Yost to boot! Now if only Bendis could leave and Marvel brings back Carey to replace him.

That's not to say I think Aaron's a bad writer, I love Ghost Rider. Just that I think his X-Men stuff has been really bad.
Carey has an X-Men OGN coming out soon, he just published a novel too so maybe he's going to return to do more X-Men

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Carey has an X-Men OGN coming out soon, he just published a novel too so maybe he's going to return to do more X-Men

I just want more comics out of him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was never really into PAD's X-Factor but read bits and pieces in it. Halfway through it it just became a clusterfuck of characters and plots and it went off the rails.

This new run, though, is quite awesome. He's probably the first writer since Mike Carey to use Danger really well.

Speaking of Carey, that Legacy 300 was pretty loving good as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I just hope that Yost does not want to get rid of any of the students.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man is this bendis crossover bad. I'm not sure this is so much a story as retreading a bunch of stuff for the past brought forward kids.

bobkatt013 posted:

I just hope that Yost does not want to get rid of any of the students.
Do you mean that in the sense of 'I hope they will still show up' or like 'I hope they won't be taking the bus'

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Man is this bendis crossover bad. I'm not sure this is so much a story as retreading a bunch of stuff for the past brought forward kids.
Do you mean that in the sense of 'I hope they will still show up' or like 'I hope they won't be taking the bus'

The bus

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Nope, no bus this time, we've moved on from that phase.

This time, it'll be an exploding plane.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I think that if New Warriors gets cancelled, he should bring Kaine over to Amazing as a teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
X-Men Legacy 300 was fantastic today. It's sad to see this series go, but I'm glad it was with this issue.

• Locked thread