Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I don't think it's any different than it has ever been.
Carl is still Carl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

You don't have to blame WoW. It was obvious even in UO's heyday that people don't like other people preventing their progress. WoW was merely a refinement of what MMOs did before it, not the progenitor.

Hence the implementation of Trammel... and the swift exodus from Felucca. Not to mention wicked nerfs to naively implemented skills like thieving, because for every 'catch and release' career red there were a hundred asshats using it at every opportunity.

I have always been surprised that freeshards like this attract Trammel types in numbers, though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Hence the implementation of Trammel... and the swift exodus from Felucca. Not to mention wicked nerfs to naively implemented skills like thieving, because for every 'catch and release' career red there were a hundred asshats using it at every opportunity.

I have always been surprised that freeshards like this attract Trammel types in numbers, though.

Felucca and Trammel were the only two redeeming qualities about the direction the game was going, IMHO.

At least players who wanted to play "deviant" characters had Felucca.

Freakazoid_ posted:

You don't have to blame WoW. It was obvious even in UO's heyday that people don't like other people preventing their progress. WoW was merely a refinement of what MMOs did before it, not the progenitor.

I know I don't have to, but I so totally do, I can't help it. My own humble opinion leads me to the conclusion that the only similiarity between WoW and games like UO was the fact they were both massively multiplayer. But WoW never dropped you into a world with nothing but 100 gold, a dagger, a candle and a book. WoW drops you into a world where you do endless fetch and mob-clearing quests until the cows come home and then maybe after you've done them 5k times you get to raid a dungeon and get real loot. I over-simplify this I know. WoW holds your hand up until the end, and two different types of players play WoW and UO.

And PKs in my opinion didn't prevent progress, they just taught a lesson.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I remember playing UO on Atlantic for a long while where all of the prime hunting spots were consistently empty because of constant PK gangs rolling through every few minutes.

Then I became one of the PK gangs :getin:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

See that's the other thing.

At least PK gangs roaming around, even if it's gotten out of hand, was an organic thing that happened because of the game's spirit and intent. What is happening to it now is not organic, it's artificial based on someone's desire to change that dynamic according to how players other than old-school ones want to play the game.

I like this shard and I'm going to keep playing it as long as Carl and Alan don't, as you say, openly dupe gold and give it to their friends or some poo poo like that, but why do the players who want to play UO like old-school times not matter as much as the newbies who cry every time they don't get their way or they get killed one time in a dungeon by a PK squad and just give the gently caress up because it's not super easy to gain skill like they expect it to be? Like on a couple shards I can understand them wanting to attract more players and trying to placate the Trammies a bit at least, but to completely say "gently caress you" to anyone else who might want to play a legit red or something like that is a little bit disheartening.

It's disheartening to see MMOs go this way, really. Do people who want to play something other than WoW or something trying to emulate it even matter anymore, or are we stuck with MMOs filled with cry babies who can't handle something they didn't expect?

The LEAST Carl and co. could do is literally bring back Trammel and Felucca so that both groups of players could have their way, because whether or not I like it, those Trammies deserve to enjoy the game the way they want to enjoy it too. I just don't think they deserve that at the expense of everyone else.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 25, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Toxx challenge: I will empty my bank on the streets of Wbb if they add nopvp trammel.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Toxx challenge: I will empty my bank on the streets of Wbb if they add nopvp trammel.

Yessssssssssss

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I did this when I quit OSI. It was very entertaining. Drop 5k, drop 1k, drop 6 gold, drop 3k, drop 6, drop 6, drop 6, etc. I had a hoard of people following me.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
I've been away from the server about 6 months now, whats changed? Is there another consequence to being a red than going stat? Am I missing something?

That's how it was and is a system that works in my opinion. That's the penance for owning that sap at Brit mine and looting his ingots.

Guild warring, Order/Chaos, Factions and dueling are all alternative ways to pvp.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Being red gets the following penalties:

-Freely attackable at any time without a global criminal flag being applied to your character
-Statloss equal to some algorithm that I forgot if someone kills you, chops you up, then turns your head in to a guard. The bounty hunter may opt instead to use a built in system for you to pay gold to the bounty hunter to have your statloss prevented. Statloss is something like an hour per kill, I forgot. Someone else can chime in since I deleted my red months ago.
-Most healers will not resurrect you

That's about it. You can still go in town even.. just not terribly recommended since everyone will attack you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bieeardo posted:

Haha yep. Hybrid is pretty bad with this. But this shard has it as well. People lined up perfectly with their pets or w/e and all their rare clothing items and neon poo poo. It's like 2002 WBB

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Being red gets the following penalties:

-Freely attackable at any time without a global criminal flag being applied to your character
-Statloss equal to some algorithm that I forgot if someone kills you, chops you up, then turns your head in to a guard. The bounty hunter may opt instead to use a built in system for you to pay gold to the bounty hunter to have your statloss prevented. Statloss is something like an hour per kill, I forgot. Someone else can chime in since I deleted my red months ago.
-Most healers will not resurrect you

That's about it. You can still go in town even.. just not terribly recommended since everyone will attack you.

They should keep stat and bounty and only let them do Cove and Buc's. Then again, that might actually be too harsh.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

Haha yep. Hybrid is pretty bad with this. But this shard has it as well. People lined up perfectly with their pets or w/e and all their rare clothing items and neon poo poo. It's like 2002 WBB

Thing is.. without that, you don't really have a shard. UO needs all types to really make a shard feel alive. Banksitters are dumb, sure... but if you walk by WBB and it's totally empty, you're probably not going to stick around on that server for long.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
This shard sucks -- the admins have been against PVP/PKers for a long time. They appease those who donate -- which are the trammies.... not that I can blame them.

Eptiliom
Jan 15, 2005

FormerFatty posted:

This shard sucks -- the admins have been against PVP/PKers for a long time. They appease those who donate -- which are the trammies.... not that I can blame them.

I honestly dont get this. I have played for months and I still get pk'd regularly. Maybe not every day but every couple of days. I dont see any lack of griefers at all. I dont even go to the popular dungeons anymore just to avoid that poo poo. I dont mind dying and losing my stuff, I just can't compete with these guys that kill people all day long. It isnt fun just tucking tail and recalling, so I just try to avoid it altogether.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
Group up with people and make friends -- believe it or not, thats how you survive in UO.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Eptiliom posted:

I honestly dont get this. I have played for months and I still get pk'd regularly. Maybe not every day but every couple of days. I dont see any lack of griefers at all. I dont even go to the popular dungeons anymore just to avoid that poo poo. I dont mind dying and losing my stuff, I just can't compete with these guys that kill people all day long. It isnt fun just tucking tail and recalling, so I just try to avoid it altogether.

They nerf PKs moreso than other shards I've played on.

That said, yeah I get your meaning what with avoiding dungeons if you're solo. I sometimes play reds but though this goes against my Goondom, I resurrect them when I can. I still loot them though if they have something good, take what I want and leave them their armor and a weapon sometimes. Then I leave the area for a bit to let them do their thing. There are not many PKs on this shard who do this though, and I can remember back on OSI some PKs did it and the rest roved around in murder squads. On Chesapeake, the big PK guild was Juevos del Diablo, and the most famous PK I can recall was Alice Cooper. I never personally got PK'd by them. Most of the PKs on this shard could ramp down the dickishness for sure, but in a way I still hold to what I've said--if Carl and the rest of the admins stay on this course, there will be no incentive whatsoever to do any PvP as a red character, or for anyone at all for that matter.

No loving wonder everyone thinks the PKs are all dicks, even the halfway decent red players who would resurrect and refrain from griefing players in dungeons are forced to travel in packs just to not get loving statted, because now their stamina on mounts is nerfed too. It's imbalanced, and there are far more ways the admins could deal with PKs so that blue players wouldn't get griefed so much without nerfing reds. Also let's not forget that most red players also have blue alts, which is both good and bad, and that PKs are already FAR outnumbered on most shards by strictly blue players, the longtime-players being ones that attack PKs on sight anyway.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 26, 2014

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

KetTarma posted:

Thing is.. without that, you don't really have a shard. UO needs all types to really make a shard feel alive. Banksitters are dumb, sure... but if you walk by WBB and it's totally empty, you're probably not going to stick around on that server for long.

Agree with this 100%. You need all types of players to have an organic feel/active shard. Besides UO is about being able to play the game how you want not just so you can log on to PVP/PK.

FormerFatty posted:

The reds on the server don't seem to have any problems with how the server treats them. There are plenty of them and they have plenty of freedoms that most reds on other shards normally dont.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Surfing Turtle posted:

Agree with this 100%. You need all types of players to have an organic feel/active shard. Besides UO is about being able to play the game how you want not just so you can log on to PVP/PK.

The reds on the server don't seem to have any problems with how the server treats them. There are plenty of them and they have plenty of freedoms that most reds on other shards normally dont.

You cant PVP as a red on UOF -- like if we had a squad of 5 PKs and 5 factioners showed up, there was 0 incentive for us to fight them. They kill us, we cant play for 2 days -- we kill them, they lose 50 each reg and pots.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

FormerFatty posted:

You cant PVP as a red on UOF -- like if we had a squad of 5 PKs and 5 factioners showed up, there was 0 incentive for us to fight them. They kill us, we cant play for 2 days -- we kill them, they lose 50 each reg and pots.

I see what you're saying. I guess it makes sense why reds seem to only go for the lowest risk targets. Seems if you generally fight back 1v1 95% of the time they will bail.

Edit: I kind of wish they removed factions. With the pop the server has if they just had order/chaos I think pvp would be better. There is always the chance it will be ultra imbalanced if people keep joining one side but at least there are only 2 choices. Now you have factions with like 5 guys in it and get ganked every time they go out.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

They have been talking about dropping stat to 24 hours, which would be nice.

And yeah reds suffer stat and blues don't. But that's the price to pay for a server with dungeons full of people (to kill).

Plus they can only stat if they get heads.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
This really blows all the goons I've played uo with in the past are all starting up on an corp ugh!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

This really blows all the goons I've played uo with in the past are all starting up on an corp ugh!

I am not starting up on An Corp. Hate having two shards to remember to refresh houses and poo poo. Also what does An Corp really bring to the table that other shards haven't done before? There's only so much you can do with the code and the tools. They ain't resurrecting poo poo, homes.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Surfing Turtle posted:

There's not really any compelling reason to roll on that shard over any number of others. It'll see a surge in population initially but probably will go the path of the other 3 incarnations of AZ..especially now that the most polarizing member of the dev team is gone.

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY
Sep 22, 2005
Who the hell wants to grind a char again. And not UOF grind, but IPY grind, AKA takes weeks to get a char rolling. No thanks.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

FAT-N-GAY-4-PAY posted:

Who the hell wants to grind a char again. And not UOF grind, but IPY grind, AKA takes weeks to get a char rolling. No thanks.

I don't want to touch anything Az has been anywhere near. I'm surprised I play UO still because that human being has left his taint on it.

e: This kind of stuff gets you pre-banned from his shards :ohdear:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

KetTarma posted:

We allied with the -PvP- guild to do champ spawns and IDOCs with. Please dont cause dramas

added to OP

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

KetTarma posted:

added to OP

They are cool guys from the ones I deal with normally. We saw that Kerrigan char at an idoc the other night but she is no longer part of the guild. She seemed psycho and apparently friends with a lot of reds. If this makes us a target or causes a problem let Jerryk know right away.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

I think pvp scammed kerrigan for a house or something, which makes them A-OK in my book

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Well they're pretty stupid so that was a waste of time. Also I think we need to recruit and get some more people.

Holophonist
Aug 22, 2012

Only a few people in the whole universe can play it, and they're not very good at it.
What are goons up to on UOF nowadays? Is the library still up and running at brit crossroads? Has a monument been erected in My, HC's and Jennifer's honor yet?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Which one are you again?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Holophonist posted:

What are goons up to on UOF nowadays? Is the library still up and running at brit crossroads? Has a monument been erected in My, HC's and Jennifer's honor yet?

We are doing well and have a solid group of players. Yes the library is still up. We also got into some great action at an idoc tonight I hope someone got screenshots.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Holophonist posted:

Robert Neville right?

Holophonist
Aug 22, 2012

Only a few people in the whole universe can play it, and they're not very good at it.

Sound posted:

Robert Neville right?

Yes indeed.

Holophonist
Aug 22, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

Which one are you again?

Robert Neville - Nox/Scribe Mage
Holophonist - I don't remember, some dexxer. archery?
WOLFHAIR - Crafter

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I built a house next to the library, its lowered the property values significantly.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Charles Bukowski posted:

I built a house next to the library, its lowered the property values significantly.

I idle there sometimes and now some guild who doesn't like me thinks I live there. Your welcome.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

It looks like a bunch of sticks with a hobo out front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

It's ok the UOXS club in Goonglow is a 600k property. Our property values are all safe.

• Locked thread