Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Peel posted:

350K in the US specifically. If US, Japan and Europe are about the same that would total up to a little over a million, but I'd wildly guess at Europe being a little higher than the US.

edit: When this came up in the Wii U thread, I used http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20100514_hosoku_e_final.pdf#page=5 as my source, is that just copies shipped to stores?

The language in these documents can seem confusing at first. 'Sales' generally mean 'consolidated unit sales' or the total number of software units across all SKUs shipped from Sega's inventory to retailers. It also includes shipments from licensed publishers in countries where Sega lacks publishing power or distribution. These numbers are usually rounded to the nearest ten-thousand unit for appearances.

Consolidated unit sales are basically what consumers would consider to be a publisher's shipments to retailers. They are linked to sales to consumer sales but not the same. You can have situations where a publisher channel stuffs retail stores but sales figures from retail sales trackers is no where near that number.

Digital sales can make things tricky since different companies can approach it differently. Sega appears to have grouped digital sales with 'unit sales' but divided the revenue stream into packaged goods and digital goods. On the other hand, Nintendo's 'software unit sales' includes shipments to retailers, bundled software with shipped hardware, and eShop game purchases by consumers but does not include games that are exclusive to the eShop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's a good Platinum game, so it stands to reason that it sold poorly.

I remember the PC port came at the beginning of a big Steam sale, and it sat near the top of the "Top Sellers" list for the duration, even though itself was selling for almost full price.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Silentman0 posted:

I remember the PC port came at the beginning of a big Steam sale, and it sat near the top of the "Top Sellers" list for the duration, even though itself was selling for almost full price.

It actually came out after the sale. What was topping the charts that week was the Presale! I think MGR Steam did ok.

Edit: Madworld owns and I'll fight any o you dummies that says otherwise.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Anarchy Reigns really, really needed LAN support or some other form of local multiplayer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

It actually came out after the sale. What was topping the charts that week was the Presale! I think MGR Steam did ok.

Edit: Madworld owns and I'll fight any o you dummies that says otherwise.

Madworld was the beta for Anarchy Reigns.

It's not a bad game, just simple and one note.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anarchy Reigns was a terrible, ugly game. I kinda wish they'd do a second to fix it up a bit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Madworld and own it, but jesus there's only so many times I can dunk a guy into a flaming barrel before it gets tiring. The game has a lot of charm to it and some great music, but I'm so happy that Anarchy Reigns came out and is so much better. About the only thing bad about Anarchy Reigns is the story is a bit more serious than Madworld's and even then there's still goofy sidequests and pretty much every ally of Jack's to mitigate that. It also had a fun little battle of philosophies over revenge near the end of the game, but that's such a small part of what's mostly an all over the place story that knows exactly what it is.

It's still a loving shame the multiplayer is dead. It's legitimately one of the best multiplayer oriented games I've ever played and I will never get to relive that first month of crazy gameplay and DEATHBALL.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I played through Madworld and I love it. Y'all haters have bad opinions. The true pimps, playas and pain purveyas know where it's at :colbert:

As for Infinite Space...Hoooooo maaaaaaaan.
I love Infinite Space. It's flawed. It's hard. They needed more budget and time on the sound. Among other things.

But the rest is amazing. People complain that it's hard. That it's unfair. It doesn't explain mechanics very well. It's true, but you learn.
You manage. Just as Yuri learns to be a man, so do you. And when your ship finally stops being blasted into space dust, you realize that you became a victor. Then, you realize you forgot what loss feels like, for you became a conqueror.
And then, all other space ship operas feel inadequate.
Event Horizon? Pussies. You can fight off a hoard of space demons with one hand.
Star Wars? "You had trouble with ONE Death Star!?"
Battlestar Galactica? Grus is the new frack.

Then, one day, you find yourself on the deck of a ship. Your small fleet against the many. Creatures of unspeakable horrors warp in front of you. Many form into enormous, grotesque pods; vaguely mocking those of human ships. The Galactic Empire, brainwashed and corrupted by the beasts, lines up its fleet, chief among them is a next-gen capital ship. The massive ship is home to nations, but now it is a slave to the horrors. Its shell is now a part of some grand monstrosity that is darker than space itself. They have all allied against you. Your crew panics. Your allies are losing hope.
But you?
You are unafraid. You analyze all this with a Zen-like calm.
Then, as the corrupted monstrosity crawls towards you, its mass eclipsing the stars themselves, you finally realize you have an opponent that is possibly worth your attention.
You lean forward (a difficult maneuver due to your ridiculous captain uniform), call to attention and then say "Stay calm. Launch all fighters. Then go into Dodge"

When everyone celebrates your victory, you stand in the corner, trying to figure out if that battle gave you enough points to advance to the next rank. For that is what it means to be a true zero-g dog.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 1, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

It actually never cracked the #1 spot, from what I remember. That was firmly held by loving DayZ.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I played through Madworld and I love it. Y'all haters have bad opinions. The true pimps, playas and pain purveyas know where it's at :colbert:

As for Infinite Space...Hoooooo maaaaaaaan.
I love Infinite Space. It's flawed. It's hard. They needed more budget and time on the sound. Among other things.

But seriously, isn't there a point where it's impossible to progress if you didn't push for fighter research way earlier in the game? Like, you're locked into that battle and you can't back out to grind up fighters.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Level Slide posted:

But seriously, isn't there a point where it's impossible to progress if you didn't push for fighter research way earlier in the game? Like, you're locked into that battle and you can't back out to grind up fighters.

I don't think so.
When does that fight take place? If it's before the halfway point, your fighters kind of suck and you don't have the capacity to carry many of them. If it's after, then it's a moot point because you have WAY more advantages.

VV Remember to use an FAQ to get all the characters! They are super important, especially when you're first starting out. And sort them based on abilities, not stats.
God I can talk about Infinite Space's mechanics all day.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 1, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It was before the halfway point.

Ah what the hell, I'll hunt down a copy for cheap and play it for real. I was loving the LP before it had to be abandoned.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just started playing W101 and holy poo poo is everything in this game fantastic.
I was fighting what I assume was the first major boss of the game, and this kicks in as soon as I get him on the ropes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc
Then the craziest poo poo imaginable starts happening. It's a freefall, fighting against a horrible gorilla riding a hell dragon. My giant sword made of super heroes clashed against his giant sword made of space. I shoot an arrow made of superheroes then slice him clean in half with his own sword. Holy poo poo.
I haven't quite gotten the hang of timing blocks against enemy attacks and comboing, but I'm eager to learn more just so I can experience Platinum's insanity.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah thats pretty down to earth for W101

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Contra: REVENGEANCE

Well, we did get Hard Corps: Uprising a few years ago, and it's pretty much on the level of Platinum's games. It's even got an awesome rock soundtrack.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Well, we did get Hard Corps: Uprising a few years ago, and it's pretty much on the level of Platinum's games. It's even got an awesome rock soundtrack.

Is this the one where you get on dinosaurs and start shooting things? It was pretty crazy but the craziness didn't extend to the actual gameplay, which was pretty much a twin stick shooter.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is this the one where you get on dinosaurs and start shooting things? It was pretty crazy but the craziness didn't extend to the actual gameplay, which was pretty much a twin stick shooter.

No, this game isn't a twin-stick shooter at all (and there aren't any dinosaurs either, unfortunately). HCU is pretty legitimately crazy.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Madworld is a lot more fun on hard mode when you can't just chainsaw/gapple into spikes every single enemy and there's actually a risk of you dying ever. The game really comes together.

If nothing else, it's worth putting the money down for the John DiMaggio/Greg Proops dirty improv

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wonderful 101 is the best game ever made and it is a drat shame it didn't sell gangbusters.
I love how earnest it is. You are indeed a group of super competent superheroes that are trying to protect the Earth from the Guild of Evil Aliens Terrorizing Humans somethingsomething. Love how every single team member contributes something awesome to every boss fight, and no one is more important than the others.
Just beat the giant squid boss. Am eager to see what or who is next.

EDIT: I love all the little references to Viewtiful Joe. Blue strikes a Joe-pose before engaging one-on-one against Vijonne the first time. Red's solo combo is basically Joe's punch combo. Sylvianna Lumiére is a team member. It's all so great.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 3, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

it is a drat shame it didn't sell gangbusters.
Well, I am sure they know exactly what they'd have to do to fix that, even if they can't do it.

This (and Bayonetta 2) is one of the clearest refutations of the just world hypothesis I have seen recently.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Platinum REALLY should make a new Burning Rangers

Could you loving imagine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxlGU6wFWKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS-iY0YTgnA

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Are people still plaiying Anarchy Reigns online? If not, is 15 a good price for the campaign?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

Are people still plaiying Anarchy Reigns online? If not, is 15 a good price for the campaign?

Yeah totally worth 15 for campaign. And besides Im sure if you really wanted to arrange something goons would be up for some games. Like me!

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I've been meaning to set up a thread in the private servers forum for setting up Anarchy Reigns matches. The month or so you could get into matches was some of the most fun I've had with an online game, to the point that I double-dipped and bought the PS3 just to be able to play more before the game died out.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Does anyone have any pro tips for vanquish? I'm trying to get back into, and I want to get good this time. I know a few tricks, like switching guns to reload, using melee attacks to get air time, and shooting grenades in the air. Are there any youtube tutorials or guides for stylish play?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Just started playing W101 and holy poo poo is everything in this game fantastic.
I was fighting what I assume was the first major boss of the game, and this kicks in as soon as I get him on the ropes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc
Then the craziest poo poo imaginable starts happening. It's a freefall, fighting against a horrible gorilla riding a hell dragon. My giant sword made of super heroes clashed against his giant sword made of space. I shoot an arrow made of superheroes then slice him clean in half with his own sword. Holy poo poo.
I haven't quite gotten the hang of timing blocks against enemy attacks and comboing, but I'm eager to learn more just so I can experience Platinum's insanity.

Yeah, that was more or less my reaction to that part of the game. Don't worry, it doesn't stop. After a while, some of my friends kept asking "is this the final boss?" jokingly no matter what I was fighting because of the amount of crazy poo poo that keeps happening that most games reserve for the end.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Platinum announces a game for The Legend of Korra

I didn't know I wanted this. Apparently it's going to be a bridge between the second and third seasons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Level Slide posted:

Platinum announces a game for The Legend of Korra

I didn't know I wanted this. Apparently it's going to be a bridge between the second and third seasons.

Coming out for PC :pcgaming:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no faith in an Activision licensed game that is coming out a year after PG just finished their last one.

I want to believe in Platinum though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If it's at least half a Revengeance in quality, I'll be fine with that. Not knocking Revengeance, but that game's development cycle was pretty short right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was a little over a year and since Platinum had quite a few assets they could already work with they did a lot with what they had. That doesn't change that the game is still rough in some spots and with a full development cycle could've been longer, cleaner, and overall a much better game.

I love the poo poo out of Revengeance though despite all of the warts. I just feel Activision's not going to give them not much a budget and this game being made to just tie the seasons of a show together makes it also feel like they don't have a lot of time to make the drat thing. It's a digital only title though, so maybe they don't need all of the time in the world, I will just take a "wait and see" stance on this before I see how I feel.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Cross-posting from the DMC thread:

The Platinum blog has been updated with info about the design of Bayo and Jeanne's new looks:

http://platinumgames.com/2014/06/27/character-design-pt-1-bayonetta-and-jeanne/

Each gemstone is a reference to a lyric in the song, Love is Blue, and, as with Scarborough Fair, has a little individual descriptor (not shown on the above art work)

They are (in order of the above); An Endless Life, Eye of the Overseer, A Jealous Lover, and The Darkest Night.
I love the detail they put into this stuff, even though it'll likely never be seen ingame.

lookattheliitlemuskateercats :3:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Revengeance is 50% off on Steam until July 21.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

People want to see more Bayonetta 2 gameplay, right?

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/07/24/bayonetta-2-chapter-2-gameplay-comic-con-2014

Also, local multiplayer information: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=861028

- Online mode known as "Tag Climax"
- Can play with friends, be matched up with random players or vs a CPU
- Various stages where you can do things such as fight a boss or horde of enemies
- Stages are represented as "Verse Cards" and you can select which one you play at the start of the match
- You can select the difficulty of the stage in exchange for extra halos, but may earn larger rewards
- Can bet halos against your opponent in online quick matches
- you can select your character and equipment at the start of the match

Update:

- Multiplayer with one person on Gamepad, one on TV with Pro Controller

With pictures!

Someone help, I've got a fever, and the only cure is Bayonetta 2

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Could it be? Everything I never knew I wanted in a game? :magical:

I must get a WiiU, even if I have to kill a man.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Please don't kill humans in the name of Bayonetta.

And while it doesn't look nearly as polished as Bayonetta, have a demo video of Korra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

Apparently it only looks boring right now because barely any of the moves are unlocked, but subsequent runs will be more interesting.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I don't know why all Nickelodeon games use cell shading like that, it has never looked good at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's faithful to the cartoon itself which helps increase the immersion for people who like the show and it helps keep it from looking aged in comparison to things that aim for realism that are held back by its hardware. We're all entitled to our tastes, but to say it looks bad is a bit off base to me.

I have no interest in Korra, but the gameplay looks to be shaping up well. I'll probably pick it up if it continues to impress.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Level Slide posted:

Please don't kill humans in the name of Bayonetta.

Fair game for Lumens though, remember; "Thou shalt not suffer a Sage to live" - Kamiya JP Bible.

Some renders for Enzo and Rodin:

Very Taoist design for Rodin - especially that little tri-symbol on his lapel.

I don't know much about the Avatar series. It looks alright, I guess.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That looks like literally every licensed action game I've seen just faster.

Oh so the story of Bayonetta 2 is the saving of Christmas, of course.

• Locked thread