Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

And the guy behind the Genesis version said the SNES one was better; it's just being humble.

The SNES one IS better, though, because it doesn't have the stupid hitboxed sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
WOAH WOAH HOLD THE loving PHONE

...the creator of Resident Evil worked on Aladdin? ...holy poo poo first God of War now this, I feel like Disney's the Kevin Bacon of videogames.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FinalGamer posted:

WOAH WOAH HOLD THE loving PHONE

...the creator of Resident Evil worked on Aladdin? ...holy poo poo first God of War now this, I feel like Disney's the Kevin Bacon of videogames.

Yup. He did Goof Troop, too.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yup. He did Goof Troop, too.

Get the gently caress outta here.

One more thing about my preference for the two: the Genesis one had the songs from the film in glorious 16bit majesty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MzkRIFpuxQ

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm loopy off of post-surgery painkillers, but I guess I don't need to be coy. I want the NES game "Adventures in the Magic Kingdom", where the levels were designed around Disneyland rides in this thread. I'm going to try to be better at the platforming levels than when I was a kid, but if I'm not, I might need to call out for someone else to do them. The biggest problem is the very short time limits they give you for those levels.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm throwing my hat in and saying I liked the Genesis version of Aladdin the best.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Genesis Aladdin was my loving jam. I didn't even own the SNES version as a kid. Playing it after the fact it's just kind of slow and awkward to me in comparison with the the Genesis version.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Okay, I'm in.

Let's Play Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom!

Among my many games I had as a tyke that I was in no way good at, this one probably vexed me the most, because I was almost good enough to do good in it. As far as I know it's Disney's first NES game, and it pits you, a random friend of Mickey with the task of collecting keys around the park at various rides. These rides are, of course, actually levels, but they all play a little or a lot different from each other, with JUST enough difficulty that you'll waste most of your lives/continues on one attraction, not having enough to catch up and get them all. There's a wide variety of playstyles, from bog standard racers, a very early QTE style game for the NES, platforming sections, and even a trivia challenge. Unfortunately, the trivia one is the only one without a time limit, and in many cases that limit is harsh. You don't have much time for exploring the levels, you have to hurry towards the goal and hope you don't get hit in the process.

But anyways, let's begin our journey with a brief tour of the park, including the attractions that you can't play in, and then move on to our first challenge:

Yes, Autopia! One of the very first rides available at the initial park opening, this simulation of car driving actually preceded the Eisenhower administration's decision to create freeways across the US. Also, it's probably one of the least expected "danger" rides, where employees working on the attraction make an extra $0.20 an hour in hazard pay. It has taken the park a long time to figure out the best ways to ensure safety when riding the Autopia cars, and it took until 1965 for them to finish the full set of safety and guard rails, and they're constantly re-working the car designs as well, presently using their "Mark VIII" set of designs, with a track that was redesigned in 2000 to be much bigger and more exciting. There's plenty of putt-putt car rides in this country, many even in Disneyland, but there's only one Autopia.

Anyways, here's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (1/6)

(And I'm aware I call it "Autotopia" the whole video. Sorry. :eng99:)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Choco1980 posted:

Okay, I'm in.

(And I'm aware I call it "Autotopia" the whole video. Sorry. :eng99:)

The way you speak in this reminds me a lot of the attendants of the Jungle Cruise ride.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

mateo360 posted:

The way you speak in this reminds me a lot of the attendants of the Jungle Cruise ride.

I have no idea Wyatt you're talking about I mean, OF COURSE I do! I guess things just worked out that way by chance, but the pieces went together pretty well, between the game's (still mildly accurate) tour of Disneyland, my trivia info, and of course the retro graphic and audio from Disney themselves. (I do hope you realised that image was a link...) so I don't feel to bad if I get kinda travelogue-y here.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Does anyone remember the disney mariokart game? This NES version reminded me of it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Honestly the idea of a game where you explore a fantasy version of a theme park doesn't seem bad in concept but I'm guessing this game does not do the idea justice, correct?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

Honestly the idea of a game where you explore a fantasy version of a theme park doesn't seem bad in concept

I beg to differ.

On an unrelated note, am I the only one who ever heard of and/or played this game? From what I can tell it's Japan only but I really enjoyed it as a kid (yes, I had a weird childhood). I wish I could actually understand what is GOING ON, though. Any enterprising Japanese speaking/reading goons?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I am pretty sure that Mickey Mousecapade was the first NES Disney game, released in '88 in North America. Duck Tales and Who Framed Roger Rabbit were '89. Adventures of the Magic Kingdom was 1990.
Adventures is a brutal game. I remember one time playing it and not getting far at all. The only one I did any good at was the railroad game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ehh...not very well no. I'd argue that the game is very much half-baked. And just a year before, the teaming up of Capcom and Disney got us Duck Tales, so there's really no excuse as to why this wasn't a full fledged good game. Maybe they were too busy making the Rescue Rangers game at the same time? Really what it is is that the game is too unfocused to really settle down and make each level into a good game. Every level is both too short (except Space Mountain, that level can gently caress right off) and overstays its welcome with poor choices at the same time. Heck, if they had decided maybe to just have every attraction play in the same platformer style of the Pirates and Mansion levels, and instead worked to polish those levels up instead of actively discouraging you from taking your time and enjoying the detail put in, we'd probably have a classic on par with the other Capcom/Disney NES hits.

Also, now that I've looked at Wikipedia's List of Disney Games I'm super curious about the Super Famicom only game where Mickey has to rescue all his friends from Pete throughout the park of Tokyo Disney, as it almost sounds like a thematic sequel of sorts.

EDIT: A quick look tells me that Mickey game is more a standard actioner more in line with the Mickey Mania style games, but with this totally bizarre/amazing balloon system with its physics. Also, there's totally a ton of solid games on that wiki list, for anyone considering a game for the megathread. (I forgot Tron counted as Disney! )

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 25, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom already demonstrates how a good concept can be executed poorly. And honestly, are there any good games for the Kinect to even begin with? Because it seems like the Kinect was just a universally terrible add-on for the 360.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 25, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Okay, I'm in.

Holy poo poo I recognise this music in the intro.

So THAT'S where it comes from originally, goddammit I was wondering what big Disney thing/attraction it was referring to. Well that's one mystery off my mind, this is already off to a roaring start!
I like this idea so far of such a weird little game, please keep it up! I wanna see all of it too :)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

If THAT blows your mind, wait til you get a load of this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...and after googling the game I mentioned a while back I find this page, which provides a handy plot synopsis.

OK, how bad form would it be for me to LP a Japanese game despite not knowing Japanese?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 26, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Overflight posted:

...and after googling the game I mentioned a while back I find this oage, which provides a handy plot synopsis.

OK, how bad form would it be for me to LP a Japanese game despite not knowing Japanese?
It LOOKS an awesome game and I never even heard of it before...but I think if we're not able to follow it, I am not sure if the thread would want it unless enough people clamoured.

Is there not perhaps a fantranslation out there?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alas, apparently there isn't.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, some brief searching reveals there's a guy who WANTS to translate it, but no progress reported whatsoever.

However, reading the hardcore gaming article, if the game isn't TOO plot heavy and you can explain what's going on at the times you need to (which sounds like little more than what the article does) and you want to LP it, go ahead. It's not my thread, but I support a "more the merrier" approach to submissions.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I say make up the dialog as you go along. What could possibly go wrong? :unsmigghh:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Overflight posted:

...and after googling the game I mentioned a while back I find this page, which provides a handy plot synopsis.

Looks like a platformer to me. Not knowing the language couldn't be too big of a hindrance.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Well if it's not too plot heavy and you can keep us all in the loop, sure why not! We already got this terrible magic kingdom game on one way and if it keeps the thread going, I say go for it!

I actually really wanna see how this game plays anyway.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So I'm currently playing a bit of Mickey's Speedway USA and thinking about things I can say about this game, and it just hit me - this game is hard. Like, "might be tougher than F-Zero X" hard. For the sake of comparison, I played three cups - Queen on Standard with Falcon on F-Zero X, Special on 150CC with Luigi on Mario Kart 64 and Motorway Mania (second out of three standard cups) on Intermediate (second out of three standard difficulties) with Donald (standard Mario-type racer). I managed to win all three - but I won the F-Zero one by a great margin (70 points or so, with 100 points being the award for #1 in a race), the Mario Kart 64 one with a great margin (7 points ahead, with 9 points being the award for #1), and the Mickey's Speedway USA one by the skin of my teeth (2 points ahead, with 9 points being the award for #1).

The main reason behind this, I figured, is that the player is ill-equipped to deal with the rubberbanding that goes on. I really hope my audio equipment is decent enough to make something work, because I really want to talk about why this game is pretty drat harsh.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Choco1980 posted:

That intro. It should have Donald getting steaming mad at Goofy over the golden key, then absolutely losing his poo poo when Mickey explains the six silver keys.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

TheMcD posted:

So I'm currently playing a bit of Mickey's Speedway USA and thinking about things I can say about this game, and it just hit me - this game is hard. Like, "might be tougher than F-Zero X" hard. For the sake of comparison, I played three cups - Queen on Standard with Falcon on F-Zero X, Special on 150CC with Luigi on Mario Kart 64 and Motorway Mania (second out of three standard cups) on Intermediate (second out of three standard difficulties) with Donald (standard Mario-type racer). I managed to win all three - but I won the F-Zero one by a great margin (70 points or so, with 100 points being the award for #1 in a race), the Mario Kart 64 one with a great margin (7 points ahead, with 9 points being the award for #1), and the Mickey's Speedway USA one by the skin of my teeth (2 points ahead, with 9 points being the award for #1).

The main reason behind this, I figured, is that the player is ill-equipped to deal with the rubberbanding that goes on. I really hope my audio equipment is decent enough to make something work, because I really want to talk about why this game is pretty drat harsh.

I watched someone play the final set online once and it loving blew my mind how well they did. Getting a gold was hard enough but that person managed a PLATINUM. All I will say is that unlocking Von Drake is probably harder than unlocking Invincibility in the original Goldeneye (that's my benchmark for challenges)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Melaneus posted:

That intro. It should have Donald getting steaming mad at Goofy over the golden key, then absolutely losing his poo poo when Mickey explains the six silver keys.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll see him go quackers at some point.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Combat Lobster posted:

I say make up the dialog as you go along. What could possibly go wrong? :unsmigghh:

I'd be more than happy to tell you what they really say later, to see how close you can get by guessing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Melaneus posted:

The bizarre thing is while we see plenty of Mickey and Goofy throughout the game, Donald only appears again during the ending. Though he's at least a little grouchy even then. But I agree though, they vastly downplayed what his reaction should be to the bullshit of this plot.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Making Donald react properly would have required drawing another sprite, and looking at the amount of effort that went into the rest of the game I'm guessing that was too much like hard work.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aces High posted:

I watched someone play the final set online once and it loving blew my mind how well they did. Getting a gold was hard enough but that person managed a PLATINUM. All I will say is that unlocking Von Drake is probably harder than unlocking Invincibility in the original Goldeneye (that's my benchmark for challenges)

gently caress this game. I was starting to warm up to it after figuring out the "proper" way to play it is to platinum everything on Amateur to unlock the objectively better Dewey, then platinum everything on Intermediate to unlock the pretty much objectively better Louie and then beat everything on Professional.

I made it all the way through the fourth cup out of five (Victory Vehicles) without dropping a single race. I finally thought I had this game figured out. Then came the Frantic Finale. Jesus loving Christ. Suddenly, it's like all the bullshit came flying back in one fell swoop. Tracks suddenly became unreasonably hard even with the characters with maximum handling (don't even loving ask me how somebody without maximum handling is supposed to do it). The last track alone had as much bullshit as all of the other tracks in the entire game combined. And what do you get for suffering through that crap? Professor Ludwig von Drake. And while he is a really good character in general, in this game he's utterly worthless. This isn't like Diddy Kong Racing where you put in a ton of effort and are rewarded with the super-powerful T.T., oh no. Von Drake has perfect top speed and maximum weight. He also has the worst acceleration by a long shot and handles like you're on loving ice, which in this game is a complete and utter death sentence. There's a few more superficial rewards to get on the mirror cup, but I'll be damned if I'm going to put myself through that hell.

And the biggest hilarity of it all is that the devs realized their game was terribly unfair in the end, because they give you a cheat that allows you to retry a race unlimited times, and if I can unlock cheats by playing the game, then it's fair game to use them. Otherwise, I probably would have gone completely insane.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try and do a video on this game, now that it's got me ticked off good and proper. gently caress.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well, for some reason my upload speed is far slower than it was the other day, like maybe 1/15th the speed, but I assure you, video 2 of our Adventure in the Magic Kingdom is on its way.

gently caress you Goofy.

Edit: Sorry, no, I'm dumb. Apparently I forgot to compress my video before attempting to upload it. Whoopsie! Apologies for the impending double post.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 27, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Pay no attention to the previous post. Nothing to see there.

This episode we're getting rough and tumble out there in...

That's right, we're going to Frontierland and riding the Big Thunder Mountain Railways! Opened in 1979, the railway was designed to look as naturalistic as possible by Disney's Imagineers, including a precarious rock that might just tumble on the line below any moment. The lore behind the mine is that due to its original operators mistreatment of local Natives, a curse was set upon them, ruining their town and train, and afterwards, ghost trains now run throughout the course. :iiam: Also in Frontierland used to be the Country Bears Jamboree show, which exited directly into the Pecos Bill bar. When they built Fantasy land not too long ago, the show section was replaced with a Winnie The Pooh ride. This also meant taking down the best part of the restaurant: Melvin, Buff, & Max. A moose, buffalo, and deer respectively that heckled the bear show, and then greeted you upon exiting as heads on the wall. They would sing a little, but mostly would make bad jokes and occasionally be rigged to interact with the patrons. However, as these guys are beloved, if you look carefully behind and above you during the Pooh ride as you exit the Heffalumps and Woozles section, you'll see our friends hanging above the wall watching the scene you come in on. This is, of course, something you would never naturally do on a "ghost train" style ride, but the imagineers just couldn't let the gang go.

With that, here's Episode 2 of our adventure cleaning up Goofy's mess.

Goddammit Goofy, if you were at the end of this ride with the key already, why'd I have to chase after you?!

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 27, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

With all that in mind for Mickey's Speedway did anyone ever get to use Huey due to the whole transfer pak thing? Was he any good?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Number one - I don't like dookie, so I shan't be holding it. It makes your hand smell bad.

2 - On a more serious note, it's Imagineers.

3 - I would end up hunting down those devs and stabbing them repeatedly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

1. Don't blame me then if you get so spooked you lose it.

2. Edited to correct the spelling

3. I've been doing some investigating, and I may have discovered the identity of "Bamboo" himself. But I think that should wait until a later update.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aces High posted:

With all that in mind for Mickey's Speedway did anyone ever get to use Huey due to the whole transfer pak thing? Was he any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HutT7j70ibM

Apparently, he was fairly crappy, based on his stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I really wanna see Mickey's Speedway now, you really built this up McD so this better be as awful and disappointing as I expected it to be :v:

Also wow that Magic Kingdom game, what the gently caress. Short video but it shows enough for me to say goddamn Goofy you piece of poo poo.
I might as well update the OP now that there's two videos up for this game. SPEAKING OF GAMES:

He has a Temper of Doom, it's Quackshot starring Donald Duck!

Welcome to one of my favourite games on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, one of Donald's first ever games and undoubtedly one of his best where he becomes an asskicking Indiana Jones copy. You travel around the world shooting down baddies and rivals as you search for the lost treasure of King Garuzia, from Duckburg to beyond!
The game is basically an action platformer, standard Sega fare for the day and it was even bundled sometimes with Castle of Illusion as a two-fer. I'll be taking you through the game with Combat Lobster as he joins me for a rip-roaring plane crazy adventure in which we battle with bats, raid ancient tombs and make jokes about Donald's huge rear end. I hope you're all ready to join me and Lobster in one of the most underrated games of the Genesis, because it's time to fly!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 27, 2014

• Locked thread