Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Yess! I was thinking about what game you'd go with next and it's one of the best (if not THE best) Disney game.

Edit: Oh hey, you found an another Chip Cheezum clone!

Steelpudding fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FinalGamer posted:

I really wanna see Mickey's Speedway now, you really built this up McD so this better be as awful and disappointing as I expected it to be :v:

I'm actually recording the commentary right now (very slowly and with repeated re-takes, this is a lot harder than I thought it would be, I'm flubbing a lot), and I'll probably do two videos. One (which I'm currently doing) that shows off the game in general from a medium standpoint and shows off the side things like the battle mode, and one concentrated on the "gently caress you" final cup.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I may well do Quack Attack sometime soon (the PS2 version). No guarantees, but I have the game, and apparently it can be finished in less than 2 hours...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

TheMcD posted:

I'm actually recording the commentary right now (very slowly and with repeated re-takes, this is a lot harder than I thought it would be, I'm flubbing a lot), and I'll probably do two videos. One (which I'm currently doing) that shows off the game in general from a medium standpoint and shows off the side things like the battle mode, and one concentrated on the "gently caress you" final cup.

would you like someone to suffer through it with you? I have fond memories of playing that game non-stop over the holidays when it first came out, that and also curb-stomping my friends in battle mode because the game was just different enough from Mario Kart and Diddy Kong that most of my friends wouldn't catch on until maybe 5 or 6 rounds in :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I find it so weird that with Disney games you either get crummy slapdash efforts rushed out the door, or you get rather well made and thought out games that everyone remembers, and no in-between. And from some investigations I've made, sometimes the two are by the same people. Would you believe that mostly the same team that made Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers for the NES also made Adventures in the Magic Kingdom?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Choco1980 posted:

I find it so weird that with Disney games you either get crummy slapdash efforts rushed out the door, or you get rather well made and thought out games that everyone remembers, and no in-between. And from some investigations I've made, sometimes the two are by the same people. Would you believe that mostly the same team that made Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers for the NES also made Adventures in the Magic Kingdom?
It is incredible, as opposed to the Looney Tunes games which range from pretty good to not bad to godawful license. But Disney gets a huge rift of quality between the godawful and the godawesome. I'm really glad this thread is turning out like this, so many people all joining in, truly this is the magic of Disney. :)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, here goes nothing. Oh god I hope this isn't really terrible, because my first attempt at a SSLP was terrible and I didn't know it until somebody told me to straighten up and I don't want to see a repeat of that :smith:

My equipment is pretty crappy (a basic 10€ headset), which is why there's the occasional pop on a "p", and the occasional volume disparity that I didn't notice until after finalizing the video comes because I recorded this commentary in bits because the "oh my god I'm recording my voice for the internet" factor still didn't quite subside and caused flubs galore during recording. In fact, the very first recording I did started (and ended) like this: "Hello there, and welcome to Let's Play Mario... gently caress". Guess I was still in "compare everything to Mario Kart 64" mode. I might be able to fix part of this, but some things probably won't change in the second video, however it may go (the mic, for instance, I'm kind of short on cash right now).

Also I didn't really notice how sluggish my voice sounds, oh god...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptM2ppq7qos

Aces High posted:

would you like someone to suffer through it with you? I have fond memories of playing that game non-stop over the holidays when it first came out, that and also curb-stomping my friends in battle mode because the game was just different enough from Mario Kart and Diddy Kong that most of my friends wouldn't catch on until maybe 5 or 6 rounds in :v:

Having some backup on the "gently caress you" cup would be ace, no pun intended. Not sure how the organization on this would go and everything, since that would be my first time doing co-commentary (I mean, hell, this is my first time doing VLP in general), though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Weasels' deal is that they are complete idiots. Seriously, I can't think of any media where the Weasels showed any level of intelligence, thinking was always left to whoever they were taking orders from at the time such as Pete or Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Edit: Apparently Smarty/Smart rear end/Wise Guy from Who Framed Roger Rabbit is supposed to be intelligent which makes sense given that he was Doom's second-in-command and leader of the Toon Patrol in the film.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 27, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Well, here goes nothing. Oh god I hope this isn't really terrible, because my first attempt at a SSLP was terrible and I didn't know it until somebody told me to straighten up and I don't want to see a repeat of that :smith:

Firstly, calm down. It's just an LP video, not an entrance exam. People mess up on commentary all the time and the fact that you took a lot of takes shows commitment, that's fine.

Secondly, it's not that bad, I can hear you quite well despite my hearing problem and the video being rather quiet.
Thirdly, the recording quality actually came out pretty well, so my advice to you is just to make it all louder a little bit for the next video or so.

But I like it! It was a good vid, it shows off the game pretty well and I actually wanna see all that you wanna show us of this game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

TheMcD posted:

My equipment is pretty crappy (a basic 10€ headset), which is why there's the occasional pop on a "p", and the occasional volume disparity that I didn't notice until after finalizing the video comes because I recorded this commentary in bits because the "oh my god I'm recording my voice for the internet" factor still didn't quite subside and caused flubs galore during recording. In fact, the very first recording I did started (and ended) like this: "Hello there, and welcome to Let's Play Mario... gently caress". Guess I was still in "compare everything to Mario Kart 64" mode. I might be able to fix part of this, but some things probably won't change in the second video, however it may go (the mic, for instance, I'm kind of short on cash right now).

I would definitely turn up the gain a bit for next video. It's reaaaaally quiet. That said, I have similar problems with recording voice commentary. I get super nervous and start loving up and oh god why is this so hard to dooooo?! :gonk: Something that helped me, and it might help you too: get a co-pilot. Have someone to shoot the poo poo with you while you talk about the game. It helps immensely, even if you're the one doing most of the talking. If find I'm much calmer doing commentary with other people, even if I'm still rather nervous about loving something up.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Having some backup on the "gently caress you" cup would be ace, no pun intended. Not sure how the organization on this would go and everything, since that would be my first time doing co-commentary (I mean, hell, this is my first time doing VLP in general), though.

I would pm you but you don't have those so use this instead nothing to see here :v:

Aces High fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 28, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Could you possibly bump up your voice volume in further videos? I had some difficulty hearing you at a decent volume level.

Other than that, I was really enjoying it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

orenronen posted:

I'd be more than happy to tell you what they really say later, to see how close you can get by guessing.

...could I send you the video and get your translation or would everyone insist in the potential comedy? :v:

(I have actually been playing this game thanks to the thread. I confess I never got past 3/4 of the way though as a kid but looking at it now, it's a surprisingly well made game, apart from the frustrating floaty controls. Definitely worth showing off.)

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Quackshot is such a great game. It has really weird level progression with going back and forth so much but when I was a kid that always felt like the best thing ever to me, for some reason. Though why Donald has a plunger gun is never explained...

I'm pretty sure we had the version that was bundled in with Castle of Illusion, but since that game was super hard, Quackshot got a lot more play. We were just dumb kids after all, video games were hard!

GirlCalledBob fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 28, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Sup new to VLP buddy :respek: See, My LP here of the Adventures in the Magic Kingdom is my first VLP as well. I probably have a shittier setup than you. I'm not even using headphones, just a shoddy lil microphone. I did a SSLP before this with the Silent Hill Mobile Phone series, and honestly, I'm finding this a lot easier. Of course, it doesn't hurt that this is such a short game, either. I wouldn't worry too much, you sound fine, and you definitely have a better voice than yours truly. You have no reason to worry I say.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Wow I did not know this existed. Years later disney interactive did a better mariokart clone that was based off of the rides.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I might have overreacted a little bit, but that's just the fear that strikes me right before people end up judging something I created. Y'know, the standard "oh god what if they don't like it I tried so hard with this" thing. At least it's replaced with the "oh god they didn't hate it yay :unsmith:" thing.

Cheers for the feedback, too - the volume problem is probably related to my seriously ghetto setup I had going - since the headset I have is quite uncomfortable (I've used some uncomfortable headphones in my time, but that one seriously takes the cake), I instead placed it on a little table a little bit to the left of me and used it as a regular microphone, when it's probably not designed for something like that. Combine that with my kind of wonky volume setup on my laptop and it could very well be that I ended up with something that sounded alright to me but sounded bad for others. I'll gently caress about with my headset a bit and see if I can get it to feel better - or if all else fails, I've got an old pair of alright headphones, I might try to dismantle the headset and jury-rig the mic to the better headphones. Sounds like a fun arts and crafts project. Or maybe I'll just get a better headset, who knows?

Aces High posted:

I would pm you but you don't have those so use this instead my skype is aceshighdueceslow :v:

I'll get the PM upgrade in a couple of days, just need to wait for my prepaid credit card to charge up (hoping it goes through on Friday rather than having to wait until Monday) and then I can get it, then I'll fire you one of them. I've got a programming exam on Monday anyway, so I've got a bit of stuff to do over the weekend.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, if you've got some time, look up An Adventure In Color and A Symposium On Popular Songs. All this talking about unlocking Von Drake has reminded me that he's a pretty awesome character, and these two Wonderful World Of Color appearances are really good.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 28, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

My advice McD? Get Audacity, download it and it is a godsend to boost your audio files manually to any level you like. All the big LPers use that poo poo...and uh me as well I guess.

But seriously it's a very useful tool for audio settings and it'll help streamline that part of the process all the more at least for your own audio.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FinalGamer posted:

My advice McD? Get Audacity, download it and it is a godsend to boost your audio files manually to any level you like. All the big LPers use that poo poo...and uh me as well I guess.

But seriously it's a very useful tool for audio settings and it'll help streamline that part of the process all the more at least for your own audio.

Actually, that's what I've been using - it made re-doing takes very easy. However, I went the wrong way - instead of boosting my own voice, I lowered the game audio. It shouldn't be too much of a problem if I do it in reverse this time around.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OK, as promised, I have some videos to contribute!

Let's Play The Lion King

The year was 1994 (that's almost 20 years ago, kids. Feel old yet?!), following the release of Disney's mega blockbuster hit The Lion King, Westwood Studios released video games based on the movie! Two of them. (Well, there were also Gameboy and Gamegear versions but we're not talking about those.) And being these were the days when movie video games were actually... ya know... good! These games were really good! And also balls hard, but we'll get to that!

At the tender age of 10, I got the Genesis version for Christmas, and I was happy. Sometimes I'd rent the SNES version just because. But I beat both versions. Many times. I would spend weekends, summers, just playing this game over, and over, and over. I loved it so drat much.

I'm going to cover both versions, because while they are essentially the same game, there are subtle differences between them. In general, the Genesis version has (IMO) better graphics and better overall sound direction. The SNES version as superior music, though, vastly superior for the most part. And being how the music in the movie was loving fantastic and definitely one of the best things about it, this is a major consideration!

My companions on this journey will be Final Gamer and Cichlidae, and that about covers it, I think! Let's jump right in!

Polsy version

Polsy version

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 28, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

today I learned that Westwood made games other than RTS and weird RPGs :aaaaa:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm going to cover both versions, because while they are essentially the same game, there are subtle differences between them. In general, the Genesis version has (IMO) better graphics and better overall sound direction. The SNES version as superior music, though, vastly superior for the most part. And being how the music in the movie was loving fantastic and definitely one of the best things about it, this is a major consideration!

I haven't watched the Snes version yet, but the genesis version got a pc port too, although I think it's identical to the Genesis.
Thirding the "this game is hard" sentiments. My kid self got stuck on the Hakuna Matata stage for quite a lot.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 28, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Silver Falcon posted:

OK, as promised, I have some videos to contribute!

Let's Play The Lion King

MONKEYS :argh:

Here is my next contribution to the thread

Aces High and I take on this game to see if it can live up to the humor of movie. A demo of this game on the PC is actually included as a DVD-rom feature on the original DVD release and is the reason I wanted this game.

Level 1-1 Village

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The Lion King game is something of a small piece of my childhood, of a game I never completed but know every level of in that I could never ever finish any of them beyond the midway point. So I'm going to love seeing someone actually finish this.

As for Emperor's New Groove, I was expecting a more Hercules-like affair but nope, just a generic 3D Platformer made by the makers of Croc. Nice music though! That's some nice village music there that kinda reminds me of Spyro so this looks a not-bad game. And that is the most adorable continue I have ever seen. :allears:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 28, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Since Cichlidae mentioned the music in the Elephant Graveyard, one thing I like is that they use Be Prepared for the that level since the song was actually preformed in that locale in the movie so it fits.

Fun fact: I actually rented Emperor's New Groove when I was younger and got pretty to close to the end as well. It was pretty good from what I remember.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 28, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I only got around to The Lion King within the past few years, when I found a boxed copy of the Genesis version at a local thrift store (no manual, but hey).

I made it up to the Elephant Graveyard. I forget if I cheated to skip the damned ostrich segment or not, but that was seriously some frustrating stuff - I swear to God, Simba would hit the air above the objects I was supposed to be jumping (most often in the parts where you have to double-jump) and drop dead on the spot. Died from colliding with air. I'm not sure what to say to that.

I think I'll have to echo the "Genesis version sounded better" sentiment, at least in this case - Virgin was fortunate enough to have Matt Furniss on their sound team for the Genesis version, and the guy knew his way around the YM2612 pretty well, so it came out better than the usual tinny sound you'd get from Western-developed Genesis games using the GEMS sound engine. (You may know his other work on the first two Mortal Kombat games, most notably.) In relation to the SNES version, it's generally pretty even, but "To Die For" is the part I find point of contention with - the Genesis version is fairly consistent with the rest of the soundtrack, the SNES version uses what has to be the world's cartooniest trumpet sample, which kind of kills the mood. A shame, because the SNES version has some choir samples that'd really make the track a standout for all the right reasons... if only it weren't for that trumpet sample making it stand out for the wrong ones.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cool, more games!

The Lion King I remember coming out, but I never really played it. I was far too cool at age 14 to be playing such a sissy baby game. :jerkbag: Looking back on it, it's a really solid game, and one I totally missed out on. All the swinging and hanging puzzles remind me of Earthworm Jim's main game mechanics, and maybe a little bit of Aladdin. Which, considering the three games' origins, shouldn't really be a surprise. One thing I do remember about the game is that when Game Players magazine did their piece on it, you could tell which level frustrated them the most, with the following subtitle: Hakuna Matata: It means you're stupid. IIRC the level has a non-intuitive shape that you can get lost in if you're not paying attention.

As far as the Emperor's New Groove game, Mateo, what was that sparkly patch on the ground in the area where you had the chase bit?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Choco1980 posted:

As far as the Emperor's New Groove game, Mateo, what was that sparkly patch on the ground in the area where you had the chase bit?

That was where the health pick-up was. it may come back but I'm not sure.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

One thing I do remember about the game is that when Game Players magazine did their piece on it, you could tell which level frustrated them the most, with the following subtitle: Hakuna Matata: It means you're stupid. IIRC the level has a non-intuitive shape that you can get lost in if you're not paying attention.
This is exactly where I stopped playing, but we'll say no more and let Silver Falcon handle it herself, show all us scrubs what for! :v:

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Hruh. Somewhere around the 6 5 minute mark in the video just before you answer a question about bunny punting's future importance, your co-commentator's audio just... drops almost completely for a while. It doesn't last for the entire remainder of the video, but still. I guess he moved away?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Hruh. Somewhere around the 6 5 minute mark in the video just before you answer a question about bunny punting's future importance, your co-commentator's audio just... drops almost completely for a while. It doesn't last for the entire remainder of the video, but still. I guess he moved away?

We had some small audio issues with that first video but the next several should be fine.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

That's my experience with Lion King in a nutshell. To make matters even worse, I have a terrible memory and I only got past the infamous "monkey code" segment a grand total of twice. I hold that game responsible for even after nearly two decades later, still sometimes hearing that MIDI verion of "Can't Wait To Be King".

Still a pretty awesome game, though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Yeeeeeaaaaah that happened because I was fiddling with my recording settings while we were recording :downs: so that was totally my bad

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Let's Play Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (3/6)

Brr...I feel a shiver up my spine! Of course, that can only mean one thing:

(I really hope you click this one. It's the best song Disney's ever done in my opinion)

Here we go, both the best ride, and the best level. The Haunted Mansion is the ultimate ghost train you'll ever ride on. Finished in 1969, but planned since before the start of the park, it is filled to the brim with special effects that in the opinion of your humble narrator, still hold up wonderfully today. Plus there's the ridiculously good song "Grim Grinning Ghosts" that plays throughout the ride. I own at least 4 copies of that song, by various artists. It's really without question the most fun thing in the entire park to me, and to make matters better, the lines always move fast, and are rarely long. Fun Fact: Remember those stretching paintings from the Mickey Mania LP? They come straight from this attraction, in an indoor area after your line waiting is done. The stretch to reveal unpleasant things happening at the bottoms of the images. Double fun fact: In California, this room stretches because you're in an elevator and the ride begins in an underground station. In the Florida and Paris Mansions, they don't need to take you underground, so the ceiling rises instead.

In any case, here is Let's Play Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom Episode 3

BONUS Remember how at the beginning of the video I said that something special happens if you run into Master Spectre in the first area? Well this is what happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5LFbK6k4Y8&feature=youtu.be
While the message is the same as any other "lose" screen, that's the only one that gives you the whole different picture. Plus, as you may have noticed, he's a one-hit-killer.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

Hypotenewt posted:

Doing some testing to get back in the swing of the Genesis Castle of Illusion if nobody else takes it, if they do I might crack out Aladdin instead.

Are you planning to cover the Game Gear version of Aladdin? Because I'm thinking I could LP that game. It was one of the few Game Gear games I had. I played the hell out of it too. I had to learn to speed run it so I could beat it before my batteries died.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

In any case, here is Let's Play Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom Episode 3

BONUS Remember how at the beginning of the video I said that something special happens if you run into Master Spectre in the first area? Well this is what happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5LFbK6k4Y8&feature=youtu.be
While the message is the same as any other "lose" screen, that's the only one that gives you the whole different picture. Plus, as you may have noticed, he's a one-hit-killer.
That was a pretty good level! Best one I seen so far of this game certainly, very traditional videogame-style and actually kinda reminded me of Little Nemo in its style and music. Though you better avoid that mic-rustling in future, but the video was still good.

Anyways I think it's high-time you guys got something to keep going with so how about another stirring adventure into the worldwide duckfest known as Quackshot?!

We sink our fangs into the great wide yonder as we encounter high-wire action, terrible Carpathian perils and worst of all, flat feet.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sorry, yeah I don't know exactly what I was doing there to rattle the mic like that. But like I said in the video, the Haunted Mansion is easily my favorite level. The next level is similar but different in a bunch of different ways, and is also good because it's a platforming level. Notice how AGAIN Goofy is standing outside the level waiting with the the key? gently caress you Goofy, if you had two of the six keys, why the hell did I have to waste all this time getting them?

Regarding Quackshot, first if Donald couldn't get in the Army, what does that say about the Navy? And second, if he can't float, well this just goes against everything I learned in my witch hunting classes!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

A little nice touch in the high-wire section in Quackshot is that the moon has moved a bit during the return trip.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FYI, Gyro's little sidekick is called "Little Helper".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

An LPer's Life for Me! Let's Play Pinocchio!

Disney's Pinocchio is an adventure platformer developed as a co-production with Virgin Interactive and Disney Interactive for the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and Game Boy in 1996. The game is an adaptation of the 1940 animated film of the same name.

Coming along for the ride is FinalGamer as we ask the hard-hitting questions about a wooden boy and his quest to become a 'real' boy; as well as finding out how much 'adventure', 'discovery', and 'humour' is crammed into 24 MB. (Seriously, why is this a bulletpoint on the back of the box?)

:siren:Note::siren: It doesn't matter if you pick up the red page or not the game will give you the attack anyway, but be mindful that it doesn't work when skipping levels with cheats. Also the cat's name is Gideon. *rear end covered* :smugbert:

Level 1: An Actor's Life for Me

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 2, 2014

• Locked thread