Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Have another Emperor's New Groove

Level 1-3 Village

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Mateo, you kinda got cut off at the very end.

The race with Kronk was might be annoying if you're not great at races but the dick move I was talking about comes in level four.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
You know, the one thing that always got me about Disney games was that they never seemed to match the difficulty to the target audience. I mean Disney is all about kids entertainment, and then they had some of the hardest drat games. I remember having to help my little sisters through DuckTales...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Patrick Warburton may only have one voice, but god is it a good voice to listen to. Whether he's angry dominant Joe Swanson or childish gentle giant Kronk, it works for both situations pretty well when he's either calm/at ease, or furious/panic-stricken. He's pretty drat amazing as Kronk in the movies, I love his oafishness as one of my favourite Disney characters.

Also wow, this game got a little more interesting than I expected it to, now I have to see what comes next. That losing animation though is fantastic.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

Patrick Warburton may only have one voice, but god is it a good voice to listen to. Whether he's angry dominant Joe Swanson or childish gentle giant Kronk, it works for both situations pretty well when he's either calm/at ease, or furious/panic-stricken. He's pretty drat amazing as Kronk in the movies, I love his oafishness as one of my favourite Disney characters.

Also wow, this game got a little more interesting than I expected it to, now I have to see what comes next. That losing animation though is fantastic.

Well, apparently Disney likes him. He voices the introduction to the Soarin' Over California ride at Disneyland's California Adventure. I have to admit to getting a grin on my face when I had a chance to visit a few years back. Although mostly because I loved him in the live action Tick. "Java devil, you are now my bitch!"

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

And now it's time for episode 4, in which there lies a SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT for Donald!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

And now it's time for episode 4, in which there lies a SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT for Donald!

I liked how BuffPete would become a freakish blurred centauroid.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Hey FinalGamer, I know you had plans to do World of Illusion, but were you planning on showing off the differences between one player and two player mode? I think I've got a working setup to record Donald's one player version (maybe), but if you were already going to show it off I won't bother.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

Hey FinalGamer, I know you had plans to do World of Illusion, but were you planning on showing off the differences between one player and two player mode? I think I've got a working setup to record Donald's one player version (maybe), but if you were already going to show it off I won't bother.
Unfortunately I already have plans with somebody else to do World of Illusion and show off ALL of its modes. Sorry :( there's plenty of other Disney games to go for though, I don't think anyone's snapped up the other Illusion games or whatnot, so ask away and see if any are available or not.

Always appreciate more people who wanna LP in the thread! :hfive:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 10, 2014

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FinalGamer posted:

I think the best way to deal with bosses like the tiger or the boss here, where the hitbox requires precision, is to use the bubble-gum gun. The bubble bobbing up and down will dodge obstacles if you place Donald correctly and its slow speed means it lingers around for mobile bosses to hit it during their movement. Popcorn gun for other bosses because I'm fairly sure it deals more damage and the shotgun spread is fantastic for add control.
Incidentally, I've just checked the manual and there's no peep about the green plunger's mind control capabilities, you're supposed to discover those on your own.

The thing I liked in this game is the bit at the end of the video, it's one of the archetipal Duck family moments: bad guy threatens family member, blackmailed duck (usually Scrooge) caves in immediatly because family is the most important thing, 5 seconds afterwards they're in hot pursuit because NOBODY messes with McDuck and relatives and gets away with it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Omobono posted:

I think the best way to deal with bosses like the tiger or the boss here, where the hitbox requires precision, is to use the bubble-gum gun. The bubble bobbing up and down will dodge obstacles if you place Donald correctly and its slow speed means it lingers around for mobile bosses to hit it during their movement. Popcorn gun for other bosses because I'm fairly sure it deals more damage and the shotgun spread is fantastic for add control.
Incidentally, I've just checked the manual and there's no peep about the green plunger's mind control capabilities, you're supposed to discover those on your own.

The thing I liked in this game is the bit at the end of the video, it's one of the archetipal Duck family moments: bad guy threatens family member, blackmailed duck (usually Scrooge) caves in immediatly because family is the most important thing, 5 seconds afterwards they're in hot pursuit because NOBODY messes with McDuck and relatives and gets away with it.
Actually yeah the Bubble Gum ammo would have worked really well here, IF you got close to him fast enough since he will always put up his guard once he throws his hammer, so I was aiming more for speed than anything else. Not a bad idea though since the Bubble Gum's trajectory helps to sneak over defences.
The tiger however is way too fast to use Bubble Gum ammo on, but not impossible, you might be able to time the shot right so the bubble's shot underneath his belly and inflict damage that way. But again it's more the fact he has speed than anything else that hinders me, the best thing against the tiger is Popcorn ammo which is why you stock it up until that boss. After the tiger fight the popcorn doesn't really have anymore necessary use other than potshotting enemies.

Also yeah the ending of that vid is pretty awesomely typical of the Duck family, this whole game feels very DuckTales in an awesome way. Honestly they could have had Scrooge be the protagonist and it would end exactly the same way. I'm not sure why they didn't other than perhaps they got the rights on Donald but not DuckTales itself.
It's not even DuckTales in the TRUE sense since we also have Pete and Goofy in this game as well and they have NEVER been in DuckTales at all, so it's more of a composite Disney world in this game that bases heavily on the Duckverse.

What's important to remember from this is, you don't gently caress with McDuck.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 10, 2014

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Unfortunately I already have plans with somebody else to do World of Illusion and show off ALL of its modes. Sorry :( there's plenty of other Disney games to go for though, I don't think anyone's snapped up the other Illusion games or whatnot, so ask away and see if any are available or not.

Always appreciate more people who wanna LP in the thread! :hfive:

Ah, that's cool. Mostly I just wanted to make sure people got to see the differences, because I think it's actually really awesome how much it changes depending on who you play as. I might try my hand at something else though, who knows.
(Also I had like, one halfway decent joke to tell about why I like Donald so maybe it's for the best that I not inflict that on everyone. :downsrim: )

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

FinalGamer posted:

Also yeah the ending of that vid is pretty awesomely typical of the Duck family, this whole game feels very DuckTales in an awesome way. Honestly they could have had Scrooge be the protagonist and it would end exactly the same way. I'm not sure why they didn't other than perhaps they got the rights on Donald but not DuckTales itself.
It's not even DuckTales in the TRUE sense since we also have Pete and Goofy in this game as well and they have NEVER been in DuckTales at all, so it's more of a composite Disney world in this game that bases heavily on the Duckverse.

What's important to remember from this is, you don't gently caress with McDuck.

You really really don't. Anyone who only knows the Disney Ducks through Ducktales owes it to themselves to look up the comics, especially The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, which is an amazing story.

Tonight I'm going to try to make update #5, if my controller can handle it without breaking. There is no amount of dicks Space Mountain can't eat.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Time for some more Pinocchio! This update we put on a performance at Stromboli's Marionette Show, and do a little pest control with Jiminy.

Levels 2 & 3: Lampside Seating and Marionette Show

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Welp, the worst is upon us.

Space Mountain is an interesting bird, because unlike the other rides in the game, this one started out at Disneyworld instead of Disneyland. As we'll see in our next update, it's not alone. It's actually a pretty awesome ride, as it's a very ambitiously shaped roller coaster, but is indoors in near-total dark conditions, the only lights being small lights throughout the ceiling, floor, and walls, meant to look like stars, as you're meant to be flying through space. That said, this level is just terribly hard. I somehow got lucky and went through on my first recording try, but this is like, at best maybe the 3rd or 4th time I've ever beaten the level. And I've tried it literally hundreds of times, including a good 40 or so in practice before starting to record the game. The speed by the end is just punishing to anyone not good at QTEs. For the record, I can't think of any QTE games for the NES besides this. (I'm pretty sure the Dragon's Lair port did different things than any other version of it) So imagine what this was like for kids of that time. I'll be honest, this level has so much ire from me that I didn't bother to use a script with my commentary. That's why I get cut off at the end. Anyways, enjoy!

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (5/6)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Space Mountain is also the unfortunate ride that ended up being a euphemism for Ric Flair's penis. I'm not sure why he picked that ride in particular, I never got the connection. "Oldest ride... longest line. WOOOOOOOOO!"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Aaaaaand here's more Lion King:

Today on Let's Play The Lion King, we get all growed up! Next time, we're charging right through to the end of the game!

Polsy version

Polsy version

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

gently caress you, volcano level :argh:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah, gently caress Be Prepared.

That being said, there's something wrong with your SNES version. Not only should there be a 1up down the right path, but also one that's easy to get when you're floating across the lava.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Watching the Mickey's Speedway USA video. Man, I had completely forgotten Rare made this, probably for a reason because it does look incredibly mediocre in every way. And of course it has to be balls hard, it wouldn't be a proper Rare game without the unnecessary frustration.

Also, why is everything so pixelated? On the N64 you'd always get your lovely 90s textures in the blurry variety whereas PSX and Saturn had giant pixels everywhere, and this just looks like you're playing a PSX game. Is the emulator's texture filtering turned off, or does the game actually look like this? Don't worry, I'm not asking you to rerecord anything even if there is something going on with the emulator, I'm just wondering why it looks so harsh.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Wow, QTEs on the NES, oh my god this is some craziness right here. Also I love that Space Mickey's ears clip through his helmet. Welp, guess it's time to update the OP now with all these new thingies.

Combat Lobster posted:

Time for some more Pinocchio! This update we put on a performance at Stromboli's Marionette Show, and do a little pest control with Jiminy.

Levels 2 & 3: Lampside Seating and Marionette Show
I loving love you for that ending, this was just glorious.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OH NO MAN posted:

Watching the Mickey's Speedway USA video. Man, I had completely forgotten Rare made this, probably for a reason because it does look incredibly mediocre in every way. And of course it has to be balls hard, it wouldn't be a proper Rare game without the unnecessary frustration.

Also, why is everything so pixelated? On the N64 you'd always get your lovely 90s textures in the blurry variety whereas PSX and Saturn had giant pixels everywhere, and this just looks like you're playing a PSX game. Is the emulator's texture filtering turned off, or does the game actually look like this? Don't worry, I'm not asking you to rerecord anything even if there is something going on with the emulator, I'm just wondering why it looks so harsh.

I'm not entirely sure. Here's what I could find on the quick for some comparison footage:

There's still a few kinks to be worked out as far as emulation goes, but the game's graphical fidelity isn't exactly out of this world either. It's kind of a toss up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I looked up some youtube videos of the game, and judging from those the textures are supposed to have the usual blurry N64 look, no huge-rear end pixels all over the place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1mYAEvVNu4

Playing around with the graphics settings on the emulator might help. Obviously, the game is running at a higher resolution and everything will look sharper when you're using emulation, but the N64's texture filtering shouldn't get disabled even at stupid high resolutions.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just as an aside, Void Burger is doing The Night Before Christmas game here....

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Just as an aside, Void Burger is doing The Night Before Christmas game here....
OH hey thank you for letting us know! Always fun to see other Disney LPs at work on the forums.

And just in time for me to remind myself to upload the last Quackshot vid!

And that, as they say, is that for the Quackshot game. I hope you all enjoyed me and Combat Lobster's adventures through this game, and I hope you also enjoy both Combat Lobster's current Pinocchio LP AND a special new LP that I and an unknown other shall be doing in the near-future for this thread.

Keep on rollin' guys!

\/ EDIT: well it's still all phonetic is the thing, even if it's funny that you can't understand him, they still need to write a SCRIPT in order for the voice actor to make words so you CAN understand over time. I remember a puppet show here called Sooty, and on it was a dog called Sweep who could only communicate with squeaking.
But here's the thing, all of his squeaking had a SCRIPT that basically amounted to squeaking the number of syllables in each word, even having the variations of grumbling, murmuring, talking and screaming out words all in a surprisingly complex sense of enunciation, to the point that most fans of the Sooty Show actually can understand what the hell this dog is saying.

Including me. So yeah, surprisingly the more incomprehensible some characters are, the more dedication they get in their voice scripting so that it sounds like babble while still saying actual words. And that really impresses me amongst voice actors who are capable of doing that.
Considering especially Donald Duck has only ever had two voice actors in his career, Clarence "Ducky" Nash and the current Tony Anselmo, compared to Mickey having four and Goofy having SEVEN different voice actors over the years for his incredibly dumb but loveable voice.
So yeah, props to voice actors and voice directors for the work they do in making silly voices sound good.

Also, it must be really fun to do that voice. I mean I have no idea how good my Mickey voice is, but it is fun to do voices definitely. Kind of one of my childhood dreams was to be a voice actor so I really admire them.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 16, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Going back to last video's discussion about Donald can't read so well, I am always surprised that whenever Donald isn't required to be voiced but he has dialogue written I always find it a LOT more complex than any spoken dialogue I have ever heard from Donald Duck in any shows, movies or video games he is voiced in. the nephews and Uncle Scrooge I can believe talking in long sentences but I can never imagine Donald talking like that without everyone going "what the gently caress did that duck just say?!"

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Seven actors?! :stare:

How does that even happen?? Someone who knows Disney history, please explain this.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

Seven actors?! :stare:

How does that even happen?? Someone who knows Disney history, please explain this.
My mistake, it was only SIX voice actors for Goofy. He was portrayed six times by:

Pinto Colvig (1932–1939, 1943–1967)
George Johnson (1939–1943)
Hal Smith (Mickey's Christmas Carol, 1983)
Will Ryan (DTV Valentine, 1986 and Down and Out with Donald Duck, 1987)
Tony Pope (Sport Goofy in Soccermania, 1987 and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, 1988)
Bill Farmer (1986–present)

Pinto Colvig was a vaudeville entertainer and circus performer who got hired by Disney to voice Goofy, already being famous as Bozo the Clown back in the old days. I am actually not sure WHY he was missing for four years before he could come back to reprise the role, other than perhaps contract clashes with perhaps a circus group he was travelling with maybe?

Either way, Pinto Colvig was more or less the primary voice of Goofy and the inventor of the famous "AH-HYUK!" we all know and love today. Then he was out of commission for a long time presumably because between the 70s and 80s there was no Disney shorts going on when they were all focusing on movies, plus they were having an economical crisis that made them pool all their resources into making movies and nothing else on big gambles.

Then after a while Goofy got relegated from role to role for a short while as they tried to make cartoons again until Bill Farmer came to firmly cement himself in place as THE Goofy of today.
Fun fact also, Bill Farmer voiced a lot of other things but in the early 90s he ALSO voiced Sam in the LucasArts' venture of Sam and Max Hit the Road, but only for the game. Just a fun fact there.

\/ Edit: poo poo :stare: that...that's a lot of voice actors, I know Looney Tunes were WAY more active in trying to make new cartoons and I guess Mel Blanc wasn't around forever but...yeah. I remember Billy West was Bugs Bunny once, he was pretty alright but Joe Alaskey was loving perfect as Bugs and Sylvester I believe.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 17, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Okay, that makes a little more sense and also means that he's gone through as many actors as Bugs Bunny. On a related note, Daffy has gone through ten actors since he was created while Porky's gone through seven.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hey guys, are we finishing games today?

So today we finish up the game. The trivia stuff as a kid I mostly muscled through because there's no penalties for getting a question wrong other than getting asked another question. You see right here they get both absurdly easy, and strangely obscure. As a kid, some of the questions I didn't even know what they were asking about. As I say in the video, they sometimes get into like, classic 50's live action shows, that no 80's kid would have even have heard of. But in any case, here's the sixth, and final episode.

Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (6/6)

Bonus!

While doing a little bit of research for the game, I found This incredibly informative interview with Darlene Lacy, former head of Disney's video game division, and liaison to Capcom about the game. In it, she details how she would get Alphas of games and then send back notes and corrections. Apparently the guys over at Capcom had never actually been to a Disney park at the time they started working on the game, and Darlene ended up getting the to fly over to California and she took them on a tour of the park. There were originally levels based on the Jungle Cruise and the brand-new Splash Mountain. She doesn't remember which, but describes one as a water-based rendition of the infamous Battletoads Turbo Tunnel, complete with purple walls. These were scrapped altogether, and instead Space Mountain was extended (so now I know who to curse.) Also, she reveals the secret to the mystery of Bamboo.7--This is apparently the nickname of programmer Yoshinori Takenaka, who has worked on a whole bunch of games, but as the early days of video games didn't take credits seriously, it's honestly hard to find a complete list. Anyways, if you're at all interesting in more information about the game, I suggest you read that interview.

Finally, thanks for watching the LP, it was a fun blast from the past, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

OH hey thank you for letting us know! Always fun to see other Disney LPs at work on the forums.

Keep on rollin' guys!

After that ending and too many cartoons, I know all the answers to the questions as to why Donald doesn't fly.

Why does Donald not fly? gently caress YOU, that's why.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, the first Donald cartoon was The Wise Little Hen, the dog chasing Pluto was Butch and the original name for Goofy was Dippy Dawg. No idea why I know the last one except "I just randomly picked the knowledge up on the Internet", which could explain like half of my trivia knowledge.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I was one of those people who knew exactly what Sweep was saying as a kid. And I drove my parents mad by 'talking' like him half the time...

I'd never actually seen the ending of Quackshot - I remember part of Pete's hideout but not Pete himself, so I guess we could never do that level? But I'm glad to finally have seen how it ends, even if Donald suddenly remembering how to fly is a massive gently caress-you after that bird section. Am I the only one slightly disappointed that the last level is just a recoloured hideout with reused music and then a recycled temple section?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Hey guys, are we finishing games today?

Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (6/6)

Bonus!

While doing a little bit of research for the game, I found This incredibly informative interview with Darlene Lacy, former head of Disney's video game division, and liaison to Capcom about the game.
Finally, thanks for watching the LP, it was a fun blast from the past, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!
Wow these trivia questions are awesome and kinda bullshit at the same time considering the age range it's aiming for. But man I love trivia questions so I was real happy to see that finally in this game.
Also, WE FINALLY FIGURE OUT WHO THE MYSTERIOUS BAMBOO.7 IS FROM THIS INTERVIEW ALONE! :ms:

Shocking...great LP there dude, plus your mic quality was pretty spot-on for that last video so good work all round! Appreciate the contribution to the LP.

GirlCalledBob posted:

I was one of those people who knew exactly what Sweep was saying as a kid. And I drove my parents mad by 'talking' like him half the time...

I'd never actually seen the ending of Quackshot - I remember part of Pete's hideout but not Pete himself, so I guess we could never do that level? But I'm glad to finally have seen how it ends, even if Donald suddenly remembering how to fly is a massive gently caress-you after that bird section. Am I the only one slightly disappointed that the last level is just a recoloured hideout with reused music and then a recycled temple section?
The reused music I don't mind so much since the boss had its own theme at least and I really like that music for indicating the more difficult ruins and temple areas. But yeah it kinda surprises me they recolour the hideout a little and swap things around, the only truly original-looking area was that loving Leap of Faith area.

Also, what's up Bob!? Izzy wizzy let's get busy! :hfive:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

More Pinocchio! We're gonna let our inner wild animal loose at Pleasure Island. (Turns out our inner wild animal was a donkey.)

Levels 4 & 5: Pleasure Island and Escape from Pleasure Island

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Shouldn't you have said Pinocchio really needs to take his knots?

Thank you.

Thank you.

I'll be here all week.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, I guess it's Finishing LPs Week, huh?

Today, we're finishing The Lion King! I bring you, The Grande Finale!

Polsy version

Polsy version

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love how you seem most proficient at combat by the final SNES video. It comes off as Simba's just not taking any more of this poo poo from the hyenas. Also, it's a shame that while the game is okay, the last level seemed pretty drat great.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Since FinalGamer mentioned The Madness of King Scar, there was a similar deleted scene that had a reprise of Be Prepared. Also, Scar's original name was Taka which is Swahili for trash.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

Also, Scar's original was Taka which is Swahili for trash.

Well I see no way that would have an effect on a child's self-esteem or mental state.

• Locked thread