Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
I think it's 5 each.

---------------------------------

By the one true faith, your rhymes are pedestrian!
And don't even get me started on your inability as an equestrian;
Glitterhoof and this Senate deserve better than to you as a rider,
You've got all the goodwill and charm as a venomous spider!
As for my trust in the Senate, you've got one thing right, I submit,
I trust each and every one to seek their own drat benefit.
What you cannot see is that what's best for all is best for each,
And the Imperialista platform, that drivel you preach,
Ain't what best for Senate, much less our merchant-state,
If power was yours, ignominious oblivion would be its fate!
But you're a sucka MC, and ain't got nothing on me,
So step back, sit down and, please, bend the knee.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

TheMcD posted:

We've already had more than five verses. Technically, the proceedings have already been interrupted by virtue of the rules.

I was wondering about that: If it's five verses total, then yes, the last valid one is my third stanza. If it's five verses each, then he has two more to go, and I one.

Edit: His next one will end it.

Is that the best that you can do, is that all that you can offer?
If you're as good with money as with rhymes you'd have an empty coffer,
Your ideas are bankrupt both morally and financially,
They are no good to anyone, especially not Amalfi!
You're flip-flopping on trusting us, first you did but now you do not,
If you can't stand firm for two verses, what hope do you think you've got?
I've been killing you all this battle from the first verse to the last,
If you have any half-decent lyrics, better use them fast,
I'll even let you get the last word in, I see you must be pissed,
To be schooled so completely by a rival Imperialist!

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 3, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TravelLog posted:

I think it's 5 each.

You would be correct, I figured it would give each person enough time to really get all the creativity out there without being too cumbersome.

TravelLog posted:

:siren: Who dares disrupt the proceedings?! :siren:

Doge, what say you to this most uncouth behavior, this anarchy?

Real talk though: nice rhymes, yo

SENATORS! I would ask that only two at a time throw down the rhyme, for to disrupt this incredible lyrical fight would be an incredible crime.

TheMcD and Mercantilists, I'll have to ask you to chill, but bide your time and you'll have your fill. Cross-party rap alliances may eventually come to pass, but for the moment lets just sit back, and relax.

Though I have to honest, I'm loving every moment of this, everyone is throwing down some nice rhymes.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

AJ, for someone with the mouth of an rear end and the face of a frog,
you ain't bad, but let me finish you off with this monologue.
I've said time and again that it ain't about trust,
what it's really about, my argument and thrust,
Is that what's best for Amalfi is Partito Ombreggiato,
(it's a tough pill for you, ingannare you are, to swallow)
But like a surgeon cutting away some flesh blackened and sick,
I'm going to wrap this all up; don't blink or you'll miss the trick:
Your rhymes are shallow, without heart, without beat,
Just admit it, my man, own up to defeat!
The faster you do, the sooner we can lead,
Come, Glitterhoof! We ride, noble steed!

Mic drop

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 3, 2014

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

For too long have I held this silent tongue
Unable to take my turn at the stand
I must now speak now that the battle's won
My party's defence now so well in hand
Pray tell, AJ, whence comes all this bile?
Eschewing good faith for the senate members,
Reacting 'gainst papist plot and guile
I thought your thrust should be toward us, remember?
Assassins here we number all of three
Looks like more backup you may shortly need
Imperial, soon voting: you're not free
See the Doge choosing Travel's rap, indeed.
To some this verse may seem odd, but gaze on it:
Acrostic, rap, and finally sonnet.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

For too long have I held this silent tongue
Unable to take my turn at the stand
I must now speak now that the battle's won
My party's defence now so well in hand
Pray tell, AJ, whence comes all this bile?
Eschewing good faith for the senate members,
Reacting 'gainst papist plot and guile
I thought your thrust should be toward us, remember?
Assassins here we number all of three
Looks like more backup you may shortly need
Imperial, soon voting: you're not free
See the Doge choosing Travel's rap, indeed.
To some this verse may seem odd, but gaze on it:

What else can I say but :master:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
When gold shall tarnish
When the shadows see the light
Forever, more Romes

Glory unending
Forever through history
A Serbian cries

The color is red
Borders ever expanding
A beautiful map

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

TheMcD and Mercantilists, I'll have to ask you to chill, but bide your time and you'll have your fill. Cross-party rap alliances may eventually come to pass, but for the moment lets just sit back, and relax.

By my hide, I will abide
it changed the tide, now I will ride.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Nth Doctor posted:

Well played, Signore. I do not envy the man who would face you in lyrical battle.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

AJ_Impy posted:

Well played, Signore. I do not envy the man who would face you in lyrical battle.

Your respect is well taken, and mine for you is well earned. Please know that despite the sickness of rhymes dropped today in this chamber, we are but opposition. The other families are the enemy.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
The Lyrical Duel is finished!. Senators, truly this will be talked about for the ages. While both combatants were fierce in their words, I must give edge to TravelLog!.

Party registration will end in 24 hours!

Finally, the vote for heir designation is still going on, however, the title decision has been decided. With the generous construction of the title and registration office, supplied by Partito Imperialista, we'll be going with the renaming suggestion, as we can now do the requisite paperwork with the other kingdoms.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Very well. In accordance with the terms of the duel, I will be voting in line with the Ombreggatio party for this session. Signore Cyrahzax, as the next in seniority of Partito Imperialista, I entrust it into your most worthy hands until the next occasion we are convened.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I would like to humbly petition that this epic duel be enshrined in the op, that it may be enjoyed by all who cometh unto the thread, and ultimately it may rest in the sweet bosom of the Let's Play archives where our posterity may enjoy it in the years to come.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Alas! Though the duel was well fought, but I cannot help but feel distraught at its outcome. Do not worry, Signore Impy, the Partito Imperialista is in capable and devoted hands.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Very well. In accordance with the terms of the duel, I will be voting in line with the Ombreggatio party for this session. Signore Cyrahzax, as the next in seniority of Partito Imperialista, I entrust it into your most worthy hands until the next occasion we are convened.

It was an honor, signore. Well fought.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You know, if duels between party leaders in all sorts of different disciplines ends up being the gimmick of this LP, I'd be totally fine with that.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TheMcD posted:

You know, if duels between party leaders in all sorts of different disciplines ends up being the gimmick of this LP, I'd be totally fine with that.

Won't lie, I'm very tempted to establish formalized dueling rules next update so this sort of thing is a possibility, people keep making challenges and such until, after several in-game decades, we reach peak meta-challenge. Two leaders duel each other by creating rival CK II lp's to see who wins the vote.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Internal rhyme is the measure of pros (prose ha, ha)
In sundry cases of wit and purpose
Each party vying to seek the Doges' good graces
But your riches are pried from the hands of the lower castes!
To all of our labor, our poo poo, and our taxes
No gratitude scored amongst your fattened masses.
So is with this voices, then, that I must retort!
With such limited choices, we just might revolt!
(And let us not dismiss, now, my passionate screed
By questioning how peasantry learned how to read)

Now, your selfishness, Senators, I must contest
I implore you, to the cities, you also invest
Not in Estate or Port or in swords for hire alone
But the sort of investments which your people hone
In schools, fortifications and churches construct
Do not be fools, people, stop being such greedy fucks!
Your greed and your squalor we will not permit
So you best forget all about how you won't benefit
You party pushers in purple and gold
Would do well to usher in changes this bold.
And so it is that I end my request
And ask that you vote with Ó̱moi Laïkí̱s

*I hope the greek is right :ohdear:
It is supposed to be "Peoples' Shoulders" in greek but I just used google translate and it's not back translating it...

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 5, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

TravelLog posted:

It was an honor, signore. Well fought.

Likewise, and congratulations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Party Registration is Over!. Here is the run down of this electoral session. . .

Partito Ombreggiato:

Members- TravelLog (Leader), Nth Doctor, occipitallobe, AJ_Impy (Lost the duel, has to vote in line with them)

Partito Imperialista:

Members: AJ_Impy, Lord Cyrahzax

Mercantilist Faction:

Members: TheMcD (Leader),

Partito Afrika:

Member: MajikMissile (Leader), Blackunknown,

Nova Roma:

Members: unwantedplatypus (Leader)

With a bare minimum lead, Partito Ombreggiato has assumed the majority party position. However, due to electoral rules, no other party achieved full party status. By our bylaws this would make everyone part of COR, but the rules clearly state that COR cannot be the sole minority. Therefore I am instituting this standing rule.

#12 In the event [b]COR is the only viable opposition, there will be no minority party for that session. Viable opposition meaning other parties that achieved full party status.

The time is now for everyone to cast ballots and make proposals. Good luck senators!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
UnwantedPlatypus, whilst nothing can be done about it this session, I would like to offer you in future an opportunity to caucus with the Partito Imperialista, as our interests largely coincide, and together we would represent a legitimate political force to be reckoned with. Would you be amenable to this possibility?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

UnwantedPlatypus, whilst nothing can be done about it this session, I would like to offer you in future an opportunity to caucus with the Partito Imperialista, as our interests largely coincide, and together we would represent a legitimate political force to be reckoned with. Would you be amenable to this possibility?

That sounds like a good idea.

I am resubmitting Operation: Down Under

The main focus of this act will be the expansion into Sicily.
---- Muslims conquered in Sicily are to either be converted or replaced with loyal Orthodox courtiers.
---- We are to direct all plans for expansion southwards.
---- Expansion would be the focal point of our republic for this next legislative session.
- Another point would be the technological advancement of the republic.
---- We are to send our spymaster out to a technologically advanced nation to learn from them.
---- In particular, we are to improve our trading methods.
- Extraneous funds shall be used to further construct improvements in the Goonikos family palace.
---- This will secure a strong base if we ever lose the Dogeship.
- For the purposes of amendment and only amendment, this century lasts 10 years. All subsequent centuries will last 100 years

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

unwantedplatypus posted:

That sounds like a good idea.

I am resubmitting Operation: Down Under

The main focus of this act will be the expansion into Sicily.
---- Muslims conquered in Sicily are to either be converted or replaced with loyal Orthodox courtiers.
---- We are to direct all plans for expansion southwards.
---- Expansion would be the focal point of our republic for this next legislative session.
- Another point would be the technological advancement of the republic.
---- We are to send our spymaster out to a technologically advanced nation to learn from them.
---- In particular, we are to improve our trading methods.
- Extraneous funds shall be used to further construct improvements in the Goonikos family palace.
---- This will secure a strong base if we ever lose the Dogeship.
- For the purposes of amendment and only amendment, this century lasts 10 years. All subsequent centuries will last 100 years

I don't think we need to re-do that one, because it seems like passed motions that have yet to be successfully executed (and since we're still not in control of Sicily, it is) stick around until all their tenets have been done.

Honestly, I don't think we need to pass anything beyond details this session, because the major goal is still the same - expansion towards and then into Sicily.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

I offer this august body The Judas Offensive:
  • Assassinate the Ecumenical Patriarch. He is a stain on his office and must be removed.
  • Ensure Meletios receives an education biased toward either Intrigue or Stewardship, at the Doge's discretion based on available guardians.
  • Take action to remove the blight that is Genoa by any means necessary. We cannot allow another Republic to exist in such proximity to us.
  • Try and arrange marriages for Salvatore and Meletios such that they either inherit land, the marriage gives us a powerful alliance, or otherwise provides us with claims we will be able to press.

If any party members have addenda to propose, please let me know!

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 5, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

TravelLog posted:

• Assassinate the Ecumenical Patriarch. He is a stain on his office and must be removed.
  • Ensure Meletios receives an education biased toward either Intrigue or Stewardship, at the Doge's discretion based on available guardians.
  • Take action to remove the blight that is Genoa by any means necessary. We cannot allow another Republic to exist in such proximity to us.
  • Try and arrange marriages for Salvatore and Meletios such that they either inherit land or the marriage gives us a powerful alliance.

Since I am compelled to vote for this measure, may I suggest an 'Or claims that we will then be able to press' on the marriage arrangement options?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Since I am compelled to vote for this measure, may I suggest an 'Or claims that we will then be able to press' on the marriage arrangement options?

Sure. For this session I consider you a party member, with all the rights thereof.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Bump? When does the session end?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Senators! I've noticed that the debate halls have fallen silent, what is this I see The Judas Offensive. Hmmm, sounds interesting, but it has no vote seals. . .oh dear it would appear that I forgot to call a slating session for this bill. I do apologize.

Yeah, I kind of figured not a lot of laws would be passed since we really havn't finished the previous motion, still, I gotta play by the rules and have legislative pauses (plus they give me a good chance to recharge the ole batteries) Also finals have been distracting as well

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 7, 2014

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Also finals have been distracting as well

Ah. Say no more.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 7, 2014

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Bah. It's obvious that without the guiding principles of the Partito Islamico, you christians simply aren't able to get legislation passed.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I am compelled to vote for the Judas Offensive.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

AJ_Impy posted:

I am compelled to vote for the Judas Offensive.

As a proud member of Partito Ombreggiato, I also vote for the Judas Offensive.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Bah. It's obvious that without the guiding principles of the Partito Islamico, you christians simply aren't able to get legislation passed.

You dare show your face in these halls muslim dog? Your very presence defiles this place. Do you not realize that with a sensible doge in charge you're party will never see the light of day?

I would vote for the Judas offensive, however I cannot stand to see meletios get an effeminate education of dagger and coin. He should be a soldier, like any good Roman patrician of old.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

unwantedplatypus posted:

You dare show your face in these halls muslim dog? Your very presence defiles this place. Do you not realize that with a sensible doge in charge you're party will never see the light of day?

I would vote for the Judas offensive, however I cannot stand to see meletios get an effeminate education of dagger and coin. He should be a soldier, like any good Roman patrician of old.

While I may not be officially able to vote on any measures, that does not mean my voice cannot be heard. My party may be banned now, but it will not be forever, and do not think that we will not remember the slights against us.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

A sheet of paper left in the Senate posted:

--Memo regarding the Mercantilist Faction's vote--

Out on a business trip to Rome. Given that the Republic still has motions on its plate and since we of the Faction believe spreading our resources is the route to disaster, we will not back any proposals in this session.

Signed, TheMcD (Leader and only member of the Mercantilist Faction)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

While I may not be officially able to vote on any measures, that does not mean my voice cannot be heard. My party may be banned now, but it will not be forever, and do not think that we will not remember the slights against us.

Does anybody in this senate wish to hear your voice? I think not. However, I tire as my words bounce off of your thick headed, Koran-raddled, skull. Perhaps a challenge is in order? He who loses must mute himself?

Please, let us settle this before you and your thugs return to the floor

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

I cannot help but vote for the Judas Offensive. Who will rid us of this troublesome priest?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TravelLog posted:

• Try and arrange marriages for Salvatore and Meletios such that they either inherit land, the marriage gives us a powerful alliance, or otherwise provides us with claims we will be able to press.

Senators! It would appear that the Judas Offensive has garnered enough votes to succede.

As for my son, worry not, he's receiving the finest education possible, an education from myself!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Update 5-Judas Baby!

Ah Meletios you’re finally here, come to grace your father’s chamber with your presence? I was worried you'd be spending the day in your quarters counting your coins.

What is it you want father? I have matters to attend to for the Republic, we’re still getting an account of everything from the war.

Humph! Absolutely no respect child, didn’t you learn anything when I taught you? The good book says to respect your elders!

The “good book” also says to “love thy neighbor” or did that blood stain your blade from a demon you slew when I wasn’t looking?

Necessary measures son, or do you forget so quickly? Perhaps a lesson in history is needed since you seem so eager to forget!

As you know thanks to the contributions of the Imperialist Party, we were finally able to construct a title office. With some legal loop holes the once former title of Republic of Salerno. . .

Became the title of the Republic of Amalfi. The more titular title is still lingering, I think we’re using it now as a placeholder for the lord of the city.

Necessary also was the removal of Patriarch Petros, that man had spent too long making a mockery of our faith. As a good Christian I couldn’t suffer that charlatan to claim the patriarchy for himself. I messaged several of my acquaintances from my time in Constantinople and set up a network to bring the hammer of god down upon this wicked sinner.

And the fact that he’s still alive ten years later speaks volumes to your planning abilities father.

Or how about when you tried to marry Uncle Salvatore to the daughter of the Doux of Naples? Did you have the extra six hundred gold pieces lying around to bribe him?

How about that plan to kill Ioannes? I know the Konstantios made few friends during their reign, especially when Amalfi support to Serbia failed to turn the tide, but the fact that the queen’s been trying to kill him for ten years now, even with your help . . . Well lets just say I’m in “awe” about your planning abilities.

Enough! I won’t sit here and be mocked by my own son! Watch your tongue boy, or it will get you into trouble, just ask Mayor Daufer, he’s still shunned at meetings.

Oh yes, the man you could have saved and had in your debt if you just said a word. But no your “friend” the bishop is always right isn’t he? Or was that before you found out has was a sodomite and banished him from the council?

Ah, debt. I tried to extol to you the dangers of usury and wanting more than you have. I saw you horde your toys as a boy. I tried to warn you of the dangerous hell fire that awaits those who covet what they don’t have. Did you listen? No!

Yes and you were quite lucky Mayor Orso managed to calm down the courtiers who’d come to visit that day when they saw you yelling at a child about the dangers of hell for not sharing a wooden knight.

You think greed is a joke? Look at our neighbors to the north. When King Lotharie passed away, and his throne wen to Lombardy, what was the first thing that happened? Bavaria and the new Lotharingia began to fight, that war lasted two years, god knows how many thousands died and for what? A small piece of land in the Alps.

That’s not to say want is bad son, your uncle wanted a wife and I helped him get that. True she wasn't a noble like the senate wanted, but we needed to put the needs of the house first and ensure we had people producing heirs to keep the line going. Salvatore just wanted what every man should have.

For my piety, God saw fit to deliver your little sister safely into this world, and she was one of the calmest babes I've seen. And born so close to your cousin Aunepert too! See Salvatore was patient and was rewarded.

[img]http://lpix.org/1650454/Update%205%2015.jpg[/img
]
You on the other hand were a hellion, was it my fault I had to resort to more physical measures? Is it wrong that I pushed you so hard to achieve?

Oh yes, just like how your “cunning” plan to kill the Patriarch just “hit a snag” when one of your old drinking friends, surprise surprise, went drinking an screwed up the whole plan.

A plan that’s still in motion. The lord works in mysterious ways son! Sometimes you get steps back, others steps forward, our conversion efforts with our Southern vassals was proceeding nicely. The righteousness of our ways prove preeminent!

Oh that’s convenient to say father. Was that before or after you stopped putting so many hours into managing the republic? Were you just going to slack off and hope the lord would work in mysterious ways too?

Or maybe you saw King Louis die and realized that for all the hard work you put into something, you might just see it all go to hell!

And as for righteousness? Ha, I still remember you took that young nobleman’s gold when ole Rocco wanted his head on a spike for fooling around with his second cousin. I guess the lord works in mysterious ways after all, you just need to grease a few palms.

I do take back what I just said though father, you were quite busy. . . Busy running through the woods like a boy frittering away at his long lost days of youth!

Meletios! You may be my son, but so help me lord, I will strike you if you continue to insult me to my face! I gave up being patient when I had to take over this republic. Listen to patricians drone on for hours about the most pointless drivel. Hunting is my release, it gives me a sense of peace. I hate people disturbing my peace.

And don’t mock the lord either, the Muslims are on the rise, or do you forget that the Caliph called on every able-bodied man to lend their support for the struggle?

I still remember that day, the bishop had warned us that dark tides were on the horizon, the same day your sister Zoe was born.

You also came of age shortly after that son. When we received the grim news from the east.

Cilcia would be their target, all across the steppes and the deserts of the East, men rose to march on the Roman empire in the name of their faith. It felt as though god were testing us, punishing us for the moral turpitude of our Patriarch.

Of course you never sent any aid to help Constantinople, did you father? No As I recall you were busy negotiating with other Muslim lords to build a trade post in Sicily, near Palermo. I can see how much you were defending the faith there.

I did that for the good of the family and the republic! Even then I could feel the lords displeasure directed at me, sometimes it’s the smallest signs that can really show where ones gone wrong.

But I still held true to the faith, I knew that I would have to fortify myself for the tasks ahead. I sought out holy relics by which the moral protection of our family could be more solidified. I still have a genuine finger of St. John in the family chapel!

The fact that some of our bookkeepers managed to increase the efficiency of our trade empire’s management seemed proof enough of this favor!

Oh yeah, some old bones will give us the fortune and knowledge we need to build up our republic. Not skill, not work, not effort, but some divine blessing.

No wonder that merchant was able to sucker you father. Frankly, you had it coming.

I suppose its true, in my quest for easy piety I fell victim to a scam, but it wasn't my fault. It was clearly the fault of those covetous merchants who tricked pious men like me into buying their fake goods. Tolerating their presence brought nothing but misery to our republic. We may be merchants, but we follow the rules and order of the lord!

It was clear that something was amiss in our lands. The Slow Feaver struck us so suddenly and swept across the Republic as though it was the unending fury of the sea. So many lay dead on the streets.

God bless her soul, it took your mother. That woman and I may have never agreed on a single thing, but drat it. . .she was my partner. Watching her writhe around for weeks, screaming of pain in her belly, watching her mind slip into delirium. . . That plague took so many good people son, I had to act! The fault clearly laid with these malicious elements in our Republic! If they weren't actively spreading sickness then they were bringing the Lord's fury down upon us all.

I “borrowed as much money as I could from the money lenders and then issued the decree across the city. All Jews, moneylenders, and dishonest merchants were to be expelled from the city, never to return or their descendants by at least two lines. We even got some more gold out of taking their fat jewels and gaudy artifacts.

And I see you wasted no time spending the money father, how long was your period of mourning again?

I did it for the Republic! Anselperga had a claim to the duchy of Capua, our northern most independent neighbor. Both counties were claimed by mere children. If I pressed her claims, then we’d have an ally to bulwark our northern flank against possible Lombard intrusion. Of course she was just as much a damned papist like your mother, but at least she was happy to sit in the palace all day studying her bible and pray in that incensed filled room. For all intents and purposes I could direct what she should do.

Besides, our trade post in Sicily finished shortly after. What money I spent on this marriage alliance we could recoup in a few years. To make sure though, I secured our investment in the south. New port facilities and garrisons were built, much to the chagrin of Sultan, but I cared not for what he thought!

We went to war against the two child counts. They never stood much of a chance. I managed to defeat the army of one of them in single day and forced his capitulation!

It was magnificent, men riding towards each other as spears clashed against shields and swords range out! I was astride that field, my blade swirling like a furious maelstrom that couldn’t be stopped! God that was some battle.

Ah-hem, and while you were busy playing soldier against some toddlers being used by their regents, you finally saw fit to promote me to a post where I might be of some actual use, rather than just sitting around the palace.

You’re drat right, I had hoped that sending you to Constantinople would do you some good, maybe awaken that beacon of light the lord needs to guild you to salvation, or maybe pick up a few more useful skills.

But anyways, while you were off at sea, your sister came of age, a bit shy, but give her time and she’d be sharp with a word or two. King Hugues sent a messenger to our court right away to propose that she marry his son. Just think, you’re little sister is a princess, off away at the high courts of the north. It may not be holy Constantinople, but your sister always felt more of an affinity for the Northerners and their ways.

And I’m sure that a marriage to one of the most powerful lords in Europe didn’t hurt either.

Quite right, especially after Cilicia fell to the Muslims.

Speaking of marriage, I remember hearing about Cilicia’s fall when I was in Constantinople, as I recall I had been sending you messages inquiring as to when I’d be granted a wife.

Well I sent you one didn’t I?

Yes, your sister-in-law.

Well. . .Incase we didn’t make any heirs, I wanted to keep all of our options covered.

You also pissed away more than 400 gold pieces! We could have upgraded the Palace, or saved it for more trade posts, or used it as an emergency war chest. But no, you had to spend it all!

Well, the Salaerno trade post had just finished, I figured our losses would be recouped in time. But until then, I had a mission to accomplish. I’d been given a senatorial directive, and by god, I would fulfill it.

For god and the Republic!

The landings went well enough; I’d raised our banners and sent nearly two thousand men to Palermo. Combine with the Guards; we had a potent fighting force already there.

Meanwhile, King Hugues had landed in our foe's capital.

The messages from back home showed that god was smiling on us!

I suppose that’s why you felt the need to visit a tavern. From what I hear, your “beloved” patriarch has ears everywhere, despite being a drooling hedonistic idiot.

The Muslims came at us after about a month into the siege. They outnumbered us by more than a thousand, but we had the mountains and god on our side!

Their mercenaries turned tail and fled the second they saw righteous and god fearing men standing before them, ready to deliver a city back to holy Christendom! One charge was enough to break the Bulgarians and them running!

I read the reports father, from what it sounds like, its more that the Emir launched a hasty assault before his men were adequately supplied and prepared. Had he waited, he would have likely turned this battle into a much more indecisive affair.

After all, isn’t that what he did the next time he attacked after receiving reinforcements? You’re mountains and god did little when more than three thousand Muslims and Bulgarians came storming over the river ford.

I remember, it all too well. . .it is your sister’s birthday after all. A grim portent.

As I recall, our force had been reduced to a scarce three hundred, and we had no Thermopylae to make a stand. Had it not been for our fleet father, you would have died on that island. After you had to flee, the Emir took no time to seize that trade port which would “recoup our losses.” Then he came marching for Amalfi it’s self!

True, the times were dire, but I held my faith son. I felt a calling north. I lead our men to Lombardy, and the Emir followed rather than lay siege. One of King Hugues’s forces intercepted the force, and while his men were beaten back, they did succeed in mauling the Emir and his men. I felt bad using an ally like so, but if I had to choose between our men and the Papist’s I’ll choose their forces any time of the week!

Then the Emir decided to continue north, foolishly trying to lay siege to Savoy in order to knock Lombardy out of the war. By the time he’d realized his foolishness and turned back south, the Lord had given us a year of critical preparation time!

We had just enough resources to purchase the service of a Swiss sellsword company.

The Emir had the rivers and mountains on his side this time, but we had god and our countrymen. We took heavy losses on our Eastern flank, but in exchange we drove the Emir back and put all his men to the sword! With one of the main armies of Sultan defeated, the way to Sicily was clear!

Which again was due to luck farther. The boy Sultan new nothing about war, and his advisors gave horrible advice. True, once you liberated our port in Salerno the gold started to flow back in again, but we ran a huge deficit, we had to dismiss half the Swiss Company to avoid going into debt and risking those sellswords wrath.

Of course, if you hadn't decided to expel half our merchants and bankers we might have had the resources needed to maintain the full company, which could have brought a more decisive end to the conflict. Our finances are still in a state of indecisive flux and now we have no lending options, none of the other Jewish lending groups in other lands are willing to help, they see us as unreliable debters.

Aghlab forces also made the tactical mistake of landing directly in the same province as our besieging force, which allowed us to more effectively fight them one on one. Had the Sultan and his men had even a modicum of sense, they’d have landed elsewhere and marched on us.

If you hadn’t found several loose boulders and let them roll down on the Sultan’s men, we would have possibly either lost more men, or the battle all together!

But we didn’t, we were victorious son!

Even when the Muslims came back, we were more prepared, they’d lost so many men in the last fight so now the fight was going to be on more equitable grounds, we were more than a match for them!

We finally took the actual city not long after, though we still needed to finish storming the other emplacments and fortifications around the province, which did admittedly take us more time!

Except at that point, the situation back home had deteriorated so much that we were hemorrhaging even more money, we had to dismiss what was left of the Swiss Company, we had less than a thousand men for the final assault!

If King Hugues hadn’t arrived at the last moment with reinforcements, we would have been forced to quit the island again. Bankrupts and with all of our men dead!

We may have won the war father, and you may claim divine providence for our fortune, but that’s a dangerous and absurd thought. We won because of luck and our foe’s bad mnagment, and even then it was by the skin of our teeth. Now our army is shattered, the Banu of Aghlab hates us and will certainly want their city back. Smugglers run rampant and we have no money. I hardly call that a glorious or godly victory. I call that the victory of a proud fool who would rather throw away thousands of lives than admit to failure!

*Smack!* Quiet you! I’ll have none of that! I am your father AND YOU WILL LISTEN! Now you may be a covetous miscreant whose forsaken god and has enough pride to swell the heads of a thousand men. . .but you are my son, and if nothing else, you’ve demonstrated that you’re knowledgeable. God knows I love my brother, but he has no mind for intrigue, its all a matter of the sword for Salvatore.

SO! I am naming you as my heir son, you’ll be the one to carry on the family business, and god willing, be the next Goonikos to lead this glorious republic.

I’m also giving you command of our new acquisition. Grow it son, make it strong, make Palermo the envy of our Republic, make it into the beating heart of commerce it can be, the one we need it to be. Because you’re right, our armies are broken, crime runs rampant and the treasury is low. I pray that we can find a solution son.

I hope so too father. Though as long as peace reigns for the moment, we should be fine.

Indeed son. . .indeed.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Legislative goals to still accomplish:

-Assassinate the Patriarch of Constantinople

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
LEGISLATIVE UPDATE!

SENATOR! Here is the current state of the world.

Not much has changed in the way of our provincial improvements, so this will focus more on the geo-politics of the land.

The Aghlab Sultanate continues to be one of our more principle foes in the region. We managed to take one of their cities in Sicily and now we have a peace treaty with them. Likely they'll be coming back for it, so we'll need to stay on guard.

Central Europe is a fractured mess right now. What's left of East Francia has fallen into rebellion against their lord, trying to remove the king's peace. Bavaria has similarly been split due to rebellion and inheritance. Currently Lombardy is attacking what's still Bavaria to try and claim the province of Trent.

In news from the Scandinavian lands, the new pagan kingdom of Sweden has arisen. Meanwhile Norway continues to grow and consolidate.

The steppes meanwhile continue to be dominated by the Kingdom of Kiev and the Khanate of the Pechenegs. King Drye of Kiev died years ago, and with his the dream of a Norse Kiev.

In the cold north, the Permian Kingdom continues to hold the largest tract of land. Novgorod continues to hold its ground though against several of the medium sized tribes around it.

Finally the Middle East is in a struggle between three major powers. The Al-Abbas and Saffar Sultanates control much of the area, while the Byzantines are on the retreat after their failure to defend against the Jihad for Cilia. Armenia and Georgia continue to stand as independent Christian kingdoms in the midst of this carnage.

(You might notice that the middle of Arabia is mostly impassible wasteland. This is due to the SWMH mod, which renders parts of Arabia and North Africa impassible to simulate the large deserts there. Apart from a few oasis settlements. Its kind of a love it or hate it thing, it can make controlling the area a bit of a boner, but it does make warfare in these areas a bit more about tactical maneuvering since you need to hold key areas to let armies through and monitor choke points to potentially stop your foe).

The Italian peninsula has seen a small amount of fragmentation. With the death of King Louis of Lombardy, the land was split. The south eastern portion of the kingdom as well as some distant northern parts were given Louis's Ogeir (Since Lotharingia was technically the primary title of Louis when he died, this is what was given to his son). Meanwhile, the Kingdom of Lombardy was given to his bastard cousin, Huges, who founded the Carolingien cadet branch des Roches. The des Roches are allied with us, with Huges's son Huges married to one of my daughters.

You may also notice the absence of Genoa in the oceans of the Mediterranean. This is because one of King Huges's first acts was to formally absorb Genoa and its surrounding area into his personal demesne. So the trade republic of Genoa is no more, Amalfi is once again sole masters of the Mediterranean trade.

Our military continues to rebuild, we lot a lot of soldiers from our lands during the war in the south. Our professional standing force of guards has almost been replenished, but our levies remain low.

Current retainer force: 3 Shock infantry components. We can field 1350 supply points

Our laws and our technological progress. Clergy obligations are at there lowest here since the law change for that happened in the Titular Republic of Amalfi.

We also have 150 GP in the treasury right now

SENATORS! We've received a call to aid our ally King Huges in his struggle to take the province of Trent. Should we assist him?

:siren:PARTY REGISTRATION IS OPEN FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS!:siren:

• Locked thread