Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This month's theme is oonder de sea! (or river, lake, bathtub, seascapes what have you)

-art inspirations-
http://vimeo.com/44358107
Sayuri

Josh Keyes

Claude Monet (he doesn't have a blog to link to)

Sergej Loginov

Qing Han

Zuzana Celej

Ivan Khomenko

Other inspiration blogs etc
http://thelovelyseas.tumblr.com/
http://artnik-seascape.tumblr.com/
http://marine-science.tumblr.com/
http://nationalaquarium.tumblr.com/
http://halfman-halfocean.tumblr.com/
http://izzy-the-fish-girl.tumblr.com/
http://the-abyssopelagic.tumblr.com/

Tutorials
easy water tutorial
water tutorial
another water tutuorial
Pixel art water animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

twitch twitch

Edited because I tried to resize it, glitched it and thus accidentally improved it.

Avshalom fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2014 around 02:42

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Crap; I didn't realize February was over.

I just got out of a week-long funk where I didn't draw anything. gently caress, I hate when that happens; eventually anxiety takes over and I worry too much about sucking. Gotta stop thinking that way.

EDIT: Intentionally left my under-drawing process in again in case people have C&C on that front.

Vermain posted:

Inking can be scary - I just started my first attempts at doing so recently. I normally end up taking a photo/scan of the thing I'm drawing first so that I'm not so worried over it being "lost forever" if I gently caress up or whatnot. Your hands are improving immensely, though, so keep at it!
Hey, thanks! Your advice on thumbs and armature really helped me!

EDIT2: Jade Castrinos. I know how this looks, but the face looked so much better before I scanned it! I double- and triple-checked my head measurements, but I knew I'd have trouble with that slight leaning-away-from-the-viewer perspective. I must've not laid down the foundation lines to match.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2014 around 06:33

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Her name's Chuck and she's gonna mess you up.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009

Blue is water, right?

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!

I finally drew something. There are a lot of confused areas that I'm going to clean up when I do the digital rendering but the little dudes make me laugh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Still on a line art kick.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

90's TV month for my coloring book

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I'm trying to do something for a fencing-related fundraising auction. Since I'm a masochist I've decided to try to do a painting (which I don't do), so I've spent this weekend trying to figure out just how big of a hole I've dug myself, with some painting sketches.

Shading's a no-go, but the idea might work with a more graphic touch (and a color scheme). I was envisioning sort of a triptych using each weapon, and a different color for each.

I'm thinking about putting in some black piping/details, and a black "shadow" to try to get some motion. But now I'm wondering if it needs another color or two.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

A Co-Worker asked me to draw a "scary stuffed bunny" while we were on hold on a conference call. I think I like it enough to actually try to make it a real thing.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The hands are from last month but i didn't feel like cropping them out
mostly thumbnails for digital paintings

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

Photo reference. I'm really trying to develop my visual library since I'm sick of having trouble with certain things. I sort of hosed up on the chair, though. The guy is nude so NWS (hence the thumbnail).

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Cawtion Ham

Haven't posted here in a while, got some catching up to do.

Here's a hotdog laying an egg.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

I'll do something watery next!

edit
Ok, here's something wet.

@dog nougat - haha, cheers. Just drink alot of coffee/booze and wait until you get shaky hands. That's pretty much it

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2014 around 20:59

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Cawtion Ham

Imaginary Friend posted:

I'll do something watery next!

Dang dude, these own bones. You have a really unique illustration style I want to steal.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sheikh of the Couch

Over the weekend I did a short muscle practice and study done by viewing a bunch of reference pics, Just trying to group and define what goes where, so of course itís wayyy too defined and I probably made the shoulders too wide. I did learn alot about leg muscles from this exercise so Iím glad I did it. one things for sure I have still alot of things I dont quite know how to draw in the female anatomy, even the muscular types.

I however was not pleased with the outcome, and the next day I redoubled the effort, I applied what I had learned from doing the muscle practice and looking up various tutorials online, the goal this time around was to have an explicitly softer more feminine body, learn more about the torso and buttocks and the female shape, applying various lessons learned and creating an actual character with expression. I was feeling very down and anxious these past few days so I decided I'd like to see someone having a great day being happy without a care in the world. The main thing I have learned from this second exercise is that I really need to improve on my line work and make the lines much more confident.

Any advice and criticism is greatly appreciated.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2014 around 20:27

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

The pipes are calling.

drat, I love your style! Trying to poke holes in it, because that helps me see the (many) flaws in my own stuff: with the second pic, the first thing that springs to mind is that more variance in the line thickness would probably help, and also a more interesting background would really add to the pic.

The first one is weird, it's got a very realistic body, but with an oversized cartoon head added - both parts look good, but there's a jarring difference between the styles.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Over the weekend I did a short muscle practice and study done by viewing a bunch of reference pics, Just trying to group and define what goes where, so of course itís wayyy too defined and I probably made the shoulders too wide. I did learn alot about leg muscles from this exercise so Iím glad I did it. one things for sure I have still alot of things I dont quite know how to draw in the female anatomy, even the muscular types.

I however was not pleased with the outcome, and the next day I redoubled the effort, I applied what I had learned from doing the muscle practice and looking up various tutorials online, the goal this time around was to have an explicitly softer more feminine body, learn more about the torso and buttocks and the female shape, applying various lessons learned and creating an actual character with expression. I was feeling very down and anxious these past few days so I decided I'd like to see someone having a great day being happy without a care in the world. The main thing I have learned from this second exercise is that I really need to improve on my line work and make the lines much more confident.

Any advice and criticism is greatly appreciated.

Looking at the first one, the ribcage seems a touch too short. Pit of the neck to bottom of the ribcage's sides should be roughly the same distance as bottom of ribcage's sides to the bottom of the pelvis if I remember right so maybe stretch that down a little more. The legs/arms are pretty awesome. Left shoulder looks a little bit off to me too. I think, as you say, its probably a little too wide.

Second one has tons of character and is pretty dang vibrant. You draw great faces and have a nice sense for color. Your work is always very pretty to look at.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

The breasts, on the first picture at least, are too high up on her chest. I also think the second one's torso might be too long. Thinking about it, perhaps it isn't her torso that is too long as much as her pelvic area?
I also can't help but think the area around her armpit looks somewhat odd, but I'm clueless how to explain it. Maybe it's just me.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

The pipes are calling.

No, I see what you mean - I think it's that her tricep leads into the neck rather than into her pectorals? I drew over the armpit and dropped the shoulders a bit, does this look more correct? (just the shoulders, the rest will be warped)

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Paint nudes.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

petrol blue posted:

No, I see what you mean - I think it's that her tricep leads into the neck rather than into her pectorals? I drew over the armpit and dropped the shoulders a bit, does this look more correct? (just the shoulders, the rest will be warped)

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's it.

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux

Cross-post from the traditional arts thread. Photo reference by Vivan Maier.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sheikh of the Couch

quote:

drat, I love your style! Trying to poke holes in it, because that helps me see the (many) flaws in my own stuff: with the second pic, the first thing that springs to mind is that more variance in the line thickness would probably help, and also a more interesting background would really add to the pic.

quote:

quote:

The breasts, on the first picture at least, are too high up on her chest. I also think the second one's torso might be too long. Thinking about it, perhaps it isn't her torso that is too long as much as her pelvic area?
I also can't help but think the area around her armpit looks somewhat odd, but I'm clueless how to explain it. Maybe it's just me.

Wow these are excellent observations thanks guys! The changes you guys made to it make perfect sense! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the shoulders/armpits for the next illustration! I'm currently just trying to power my way through learning anatomy and how to flex it into nice characters and designs, so you'll be seeing more soon!

quote:

Second one has tons of character and is pretty dang vibrant. You draw great faces and have a nice sense for color. Your work is always very pretty to look at.

Thanks man, I'm really glad, I hope to improve much more in the coming few months, I hope I can one day reach a good level soon.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

No respect . . . no respect at all.

Sephirine
Aug 6, 2006

Ook ook.

Here is a painting I finished a week ago, so really good timing for once!
Photoshop and a little bit of illustrator. It was a fun project.

Sephirine fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2014 around 12:59

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.

Working on a new piece. The story is about a duelist and all his militia comrades trying to goad someone into fighting him. Still tinkering with ideas for some 18th century style buildings behind all the figures.

Sorry, it's no under-the-sea adventure. Please let me know if anything seems wonky.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2014 around 14:55

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Made four dumb, generic and boring characters and decided to make four more.

Here's the first in the second batch.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hey I accidentally made a sea thing. Sketching out critters, trying to make some nontraditional alien designs.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Beelzebub posted:

Working on a new piece. The story is about a duelist and all his militia comrades trying to goad someone into fighting him. Still tinkering with ideas for some 18th century style buildings behind all the figures.

Sorry, it's no under-the-sea adventure. Please let me know if anything seems wonky.

Really solid, as always. I like the angle and the attitudes in all the poses. Only thing I can think of is varying the facial features of the dudes more. They have different clothes and hair, but the cranium and features of the face look pretty similar. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that used the same guy as ref for all the poses, confirm/deny?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

That is correct, they are all me!

felat
Apr 27, 2008

I'd recommend looking at photos of sports hooligans for reference. The angle should be right if the photographer is on the field while the people are in the stadium and the attitude should be good too. Your stuff always inspires me btw.

edit: also, composition-wise, I think it might be better if the flag pole was held at an angle where the bottom of the pole is pointing towards the duelist while the top is pointing towards under the left-top corner, with the flag itself hanging behind the dude holding the pole (I hope I'm making sense). I kind of feel like the pole is creating two canvases that are squeezed, instead of one big picture. The pole would still guide the eye of the viewer towards the main character.

felat fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2014 around 17:42

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

That's a great idea, thanks!

VVV Also a great idea. What you mentioned in your edit. VVV

I see what you mean. If I can't mitigate the duel canvas feeling with the horizontals of the buildings behind the figures, along with the distribution of values, I'll have to incorporate your suggestion. Thanks again!

What do you read as the time of day based on the limited amount of value work done so far? I haven't settled on the lighting yet. When I was starting out I kind of pictured it being at night, but I'm not so sure now.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2014 around 18:07

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Oops, thought I could edit my post fast enough before anyone posted again! Just want to make sure you see what I added above.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

The pipes are calling.

Very rough sketch of a pic I'm working on for Dungeon World RPG characters, them getting chased to their walking tower by an angry mob. Ignore the palette in the top-right.

e: removed unnecessary (timg), forgot I resized the pic before exporting.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2014 around 19:57

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Greatest American Hero/Batman Dark Knight Triumphant cover mashup done in copic markers. The background is blue covered pencil (if you squint, maybe it's water(?)).

mister_gosh fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2014 around 21:15

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

A quick sketch I did during a lull at work. I know I hosed up the cylinder, but I feel more confident about conceptualizing the volumetric forms while I draw. Loomis' hand stuff even helps me when I do completely cartoonish stuff like this.

EDIT: I did as much dodging and burning as I could to make this readily viewable. I hope it's acceptable.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Avshalom: 6 legged walkcycle = badass!

mister_gosh posted:

Greatest American Hero/Batman Dark Knight Triumphant cover mashup done in copic markers. The background is blue covered pencil (if you squint, maybe it's water(?)).

That's great. Mostly because I am old enough to remember the original elements you are mashing up.

Can anyone tell me if they like the darker version or the lighter version of Rodney? Can't decide.

For those of you too young to give Mr. Dangerfield any respect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4qe4QcymLM

Gotta say... I enjoyed having that video on in the background as I worked. The man was a genius.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2014 around 00:55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Beelzebub posted:

What do you read as the time of day based on the limited amount of value work done so far? I haven't settled on the lighting yet. When I was starting out I kind of pictured it being at night, but I'm not so sure now.

Nighttime with some light coming from buildings or the moon. I dunno, I can't really tell as it is.

«11 »